Image ImageImage Image

Bulls come in 4th!...

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Bulls come in 4th!... 

Post#1 » by PaKii94 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:02 am

For their tv crew :D :lol:

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/nba-local-announcer-rankings-2024.html

King and Amin get a lot of flack ( I think they still haven't found the right groove together yet) but I guess they are a lot better than the rest.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Re: Bulls come in 4th!... 

Post#2 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu May 2, 2024 1:30 am

They aren’t dry, I’ll give them that. 80% of local crews are indistinguishable from each other.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#3 » by madvillian » Thu May 2, 2024 1:33 am

Not sure they are 4th but I'm damn sure the Warriors guys are dead last. They got that one right. Most homer announcers easy.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Post#4 » by DuckIII » Thu May 2, 2024 2:26 am

4th in the Central Division?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by DuckIII » Thu May 2, 2024 2:29 am

madvillian wrote:Not sure they are 4th but I'm damn sure the Warriors guys are dead last. They got that one right. Most homer announcers easy.

Someone had to take the mantle after Tommy Heinsohn died, god bless him.

Coincidentally, saw that it was Mike Gorman’s last broadcast tonight. Heard him call plenty of great Bulls/Celtics games over the years. What a career.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#6 » by madvillian » Thu May 2, 2024 2:46 am

DuckIII wrote:
madvillian wrote:Not sure they are 4th but I'm damn sure the Warriors guys are dead last. They got that one right. Most homer announcers easy.

Coincidentally, saw that it was Mike Gorman’s last broadcast tonight. Heard him call plenty of great Bulls/Celtics games over the years. What a career.

Heinsohn kinda made me laugh like Funk would from time to time. Still horrible but at least had some zingers once and awhile in their old age calls.

For awhile the Nets had the Czar and Ian Eagle as their home crew, what a **** dream home crew.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by DuckIII » Thu May 2, 2024 2:52 am

madvillian wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Heinsohn kinda made me laugh like Funk would from time to time. Still horrible but at least had some zingers once and awhile in their old age calls.

For awhile the Nets had the Czar and Ian Eagle as their home crew, what a **** dream home crew.

Dude. Mike Breen and Clyde Drexler? :o Some fans have had it made. We’ve had some great ones as well. Red was the man. And I’m a Stacey Fan, warts and all. But I’ll die on the hill that he and Amin together is a total disaster. Its gets so bad sometimes when they go off in their giggly little world I just mute the TV.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#8 » by League Circles » Thu May 2, 2024 2:57 am

I've enjoyed watching alternate audio Spanish feed NFL games on YouTube TV (not sure if it's an option on other platforms). It's so great hearing one guy call the game instead of two guys feeling the need to chat. Especially great cause even if the guy is as cheesy as the english speaking crew, I have no idea cause I don't speak Spanish. Maybe the Bulls will get this option, cause Amin is pretty bad. I'm generally OK with Stacey though for purely entertainment homer value.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#9 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:41 am

Stacey was great for a long time, but as time goes on he's becoming more and more repetitive and annoying, like he's basically a soundboard caricature of himself at this point. Kind of like what Hawk Harrelson became as the years went by.

His shtick used to be fresh and exciting, but now that it's worn out, the fact that he's severely lacking in the other aspects of broadcasting like breaking down the on-court action and being knowledgeable about the opposing teams and players really sticks out.

I love Amin when he's calling NFL games, but I'm really not a fan when he's calling Bulls games. His personality is too similar to Stacey and he isn't really able to impose his own identity on the broadcast because he defers to Stacey wayyy too much and rarely if ever pushes back against some of Stacey's more questionable takes. He's basically Stacey's yes man.

With Funk, Stacey was the funny entertainer and Funk was the normal grounded old school announcer. Now we have two comedians who are more concerned with laughing at their own jokes and gassing each other up than with what's going on on the court.

I like both of them, I just don't like the two of them paired together.
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#10 » by robert76 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:53 am

DuckIII wrote:
madvillian wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Dude. Mike Breen and Clyde Drexler? :o Some fans have had it made. We’ve had some great ones as well. Red was the man. And I’m a Stacey Fan, warts and all. But I’ll die on the hill that he and Amin together is a total disaster. Its gets so bad sometimes when they go off in their giggly little world I just mute the TV.

Amin acts like fanboy too often. I preferred Stacey with Benetti, their different personalities made them a better team, IMO.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#11 » by League Circles » Thu May 2, 2024 10:45 am

Amin gets way too excited about good plays by the opposing team
League Circles
RealGM

Post#12 » by League Circles » Thu May 2, 2024 10:45 am

They should have Gar Forman call games with whoever the most absurd pairing would be lol
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,853

Post#13 » by dougthonus » Thu May 2, 2024 11:17 am

I love Adam Amin, my favorite play by play guy ever to call the Bulls. Stacey is a lot better in good times than bad and would immediately be 10x better if we didn't have Vuc on the roster exposing how he's 20 years behind the curve on his analysis

That said, Stacey is also really entertaining in his own right and better than most of the color guys we have had too.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,723

Post#14 » by Ice Man » Thu May 2, 2024 12:07 pm

PaKii94 wrote:King and Amin get a lot of flack ( I think they still haven't found the right groove together yet) but I guess they are a lot better than the rest.

If I were a casual listener of NBA broadcasts, heard each team's crew about half a dozen times, I would have the Bulls very high too. Stacey is probably the funniest, most articulate, and most entertaining color analyst among the 30 teams, and Amin is a very skilled play-by-play guy.

My quarrels with the broadcast lie elsewhere, which I won't bother with here because I have said them before and I am not here to rain on Stacey's and Adam's parade. Congratulations, guys! You work hard on your craft and you earned that recognition.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DuckIII » Thu May 2, 2024 12:52 pm

Ice Man wrote:My quarrels with the broadcast lie elsewhere, which I won't bother with here because I have said them before and I am not here to rain on Stacey's and Adam's parade. Congratulations, guys! You work hard on your craft and you earned that recognition.

Now I feel bad. I like both of these guys a lot and love their enthusiasm. I know both of them are independently very good at their jobs and in Amin’s case, excellent, because we see it regularly. Amin is, in my opinion, one of the 2 or 3 best NFL play by play guys out there. I’m always happy when he’s assigned to games I’m watching. He’s a consummate and meticulous pro. And when King is with Benetti - who has a dry sense of humor and pushes back on King and keeps him on track - he’s outstanding and fun.

Just together, they play into the worst parts of each other’s tendencies. Really the only thing that needs to happen to make them outstanding is for Bulls Amin to be NFL Amin.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,853

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 pm

DuckIII wrote:And when King is with Benetti - who has a dry sense of humor and pushes back on King and keeps him on track - he’s outstanding and fun.

Must be a personal thing, I can't even listen to King and Benetti. I find it completely unbearable.

Just together, they play into the worst parts of each other’s tendencies. Really the only thing that needs to happen to make them outstanding is for Bulls Amin to be NFL Amin.

I think Amin is probably getting a lot of push to lean into Stacey's jokes and make Stacey the show. I would agree that toning down their giggly behavior would be an improvement. I think they view Stacey as the star of the show though and want him on full display and are aiming for the product they get.

As I said above, if the Bulls were really good and didn't have a low post center on the team, I think their pairing would immediately be 10x as good. Stacey's worst habits of awful analysis come on display with Vuc, and their over the top fun / positivity would feel 100x better on a 50+ win team than it does on this depressing squad.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by Ice Man » Thu May 2, 2024 1:52 pm

DuckIII wrote:Dude. Mike Breen and Clyde Drexler? :o Some fans have had it made.

Ha! You mean Frazier. But yeah, that's a great team. I love Clyde. He's so positive and upbeat, without being a cheerleader. And Breen goes without saying.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,367

Post#18 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu May 2, 2024 1:54 pm

Lets face it, calling games basically goes with how good the team is.

When the Bulls were good and had stars, King was amazing.

When the Bulls suck, it's not going to have the same energy. That is just reality.

Watch when the Bulls get stars again and are good. King and Adam would sound better than they already are.
The Cult of Personality
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#19 » by ChettheJet » Thu May 2, 2024 1:55 pm

Real NYC dominated as BRK with 6 announcers and NYK with Clyde being 1 and 2.

The Bulls previous rankings are either Neil Funk with Red Kerr and Stacey, I don't think it's Tom Dorr.

For someone who grew up with Jim Durham and Johnny Kerr I can take Amin and King. My problem with Stacey is he pints out how the Bulls have to have guards get back and rebound as if they aren't trying and he ignores the real issue that they have a pair of 6-5 guards in Coby and Ayo but Demar. Caruso and Javonte are 6-6 and 6-5 at the forwards, all they have are guards out there that's why they aren't rebounding. He takes the organization view which let's the team off the hook for what they fail to fix of late. If he sounds repetitive if you watch 82 games he can't afford to pay writers to give him fresh material all season long.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by Ice Man » Thu May 2, 2024 1:57 pm

dougthonus wrote:As I said above, if the Bulls were really good and didn't have a low post center on the team, I think their pairing would immediately be 10x as good.

Eh, you are forgetting all the times that Stacey called for post-ups for other guys. I vividly remember him, while holding my head between my hands, exhorting Fred to do more post-ups for Doug McDermott. You're also forgetting 10,000 lectures by Stacey how taking open 3s early in the shot clock is "settling" and thus a sign of an irresponsible team.

But this is my Be Positive Day, so once again I will glide right past that and point out that Stacy's delivery is pure joy.

Return to Chicago Bulls