Image ImageImage Image

Potential Zach Trade Partners? Playoff Edition.

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Potential Zach Trade Partners? Playoff Edition. 

Post#221 » by burlydee » Sat May 4, 2024 5:42 pm

samwana wrote:Would you rather have Donovan or Zach? AK has chosen Donovan, I'd definitely rather have Zach, but both are sort if the same. Thoroughly mediocre and paid too much over too long a contract.

I'd rather have Donovan. Zach's pay impacts what you can do with the rest of the roster. If Zach was a true star, this would not be close.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,775

Post#222 » by DuckIII » Sat May 4, 2024 5:43 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DuckIII wrote:It’s a much, much better situation than LA. Add Tyrese Maxey to the math of winning a conference championship in the next three years and remove Denver, Minny, OKC and Wemby.

If your only goal is to win a title then jumping from the clippers (0% chance) to the 76ers (like 2% chance) may not be worth giving up 80M dollars and moving away from perfect weather and your preferred city.

That's why I said a gap is there, but the gap isn't as big as it may appear. The 76ers with Paul George would not be favored to come out of the East and also have a ton of high risks towards maintaining anything. I'd give that team no more than a 2 year window to compete and wouldn't put them in my top 5.

If he values getting to the 2nd round or conference finals very highly, Philly is a much, much better choice than LAC. If he wants to win a title, Philly's got virtually no chance even with George.

I didn’t say win a title. In my two posts breaking this down - a much longer one on the prior page - I was referring to reaching the conference finals or possibly winning the conference and reaching the Finals. That is my definition of contention.

So going by contending rather than absolutely winning it all outright (the odds of winning it all outright at the beginning of a season don’t mean much because with each series win the likelihood increases considerably), Philly is a significantly better option.

1. You keep not mentioning Maxey, but that is the key here (see post on prior page).

2. Philly with Maxey, Embiid and George is at worst the #2 projected team in the East and if actually healthy in the playoffs would be in a dead heat with Boston. And only Boston.

3. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have Philly in your “top 5” to win a title in the next 2-3 years because presumably your top 5 is Boston and 4 WC teams like everyone else’s top 5 would be. Philly would only have to beat one of those teams to reach the Finals and possibly see none of them at all until the ECF.

I just don’t see any argument where Philly and LAC are anywhere near equal footing if PG is choosing based on contending for a title.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#223 » by DuckIII » Sat May 4, 2024 5:49 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I don't think AK or anyone can afford to care what happens to another middling team (yes, Orlando finished in a 3 way tie for the 5 seed in the weak conference) when deciding what's best for his team. If Orlando is to be specifically feared then half the league would be. Besides, maybe Zach makes them worse for all we know. Not like he's some proven winner.

Of course he shouldn't do that, but I would bet he refuses to do anything with Orlando just on the risk of "Oh no, Orlando screwed us over again" playing out incredibly terribly for him from a PR perspective. Being scared of perception would offer a reasonable explanation for many of AK's actions, that said without being in his head, I have no idea if it is that or a totally different brand of stupidity.

We’re all speculating as to what exactly it is that makes AK one of the worst 2-3 GMs in the league, but I’m going with cowardice. Which produces desperation. Which produces small minded stupidity. Just a guess.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,070

Post#224 » by Chi town » Sat May 4, 2024 6:28 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I don't think AK or anyone can afford to care what happens to another middling team (yes, Orlando finished in a 3 way tie for the 5 seed in the weak conference) when deciding what's best for his team. If Orlando is to be specifically feared then half the league would be. Besides, maybe Zach makes them worse for all we know. Not like he's some proven winner.

Of course he shouldn't do that, but I would bet he refuses to do anything with Orlando just on the risk of "Oh no, Orlando screwed us over again" playing out incredibly terribly for him from a PR perspective. Being scared of perception would offer a reasonable explanation for many of AK's actions, that said without being in his head, I have no idea if it is that or a totally different brand of stupidity.

Bingo.

The flawed human element.

I’d go as far to say ORL could have the. Eat deal and he goes elsewhere for a deal.

It like the Panthers trading with Poles and the Bears again.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,070

Post#225 » by Chi town » Sat May 4, 2024 6:29 pm

DuckIII wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

We’re all speculating as to what exactly it is that makes AK one of the worst 2-3 GMs in the league, but I’m going with cowardice. Which produces desperation. Which produces small minded stupidity. Just a guess.

Nah. I’d go with Pride. Opposite of cowardice. Believes his own lies. Delusional.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,882

Post#226 » by dougthonus » Sat May 4, 2024 6:56 pm

League Circles wrote:I don't see any reason to think he cares about public perception in the way you might presume most execs naturally do. Ownership has never ever cared about that, going back many decades now. Reinsdorf is perfectly fine with the public ridiculing his managers, and surely AK knows that because it was probably part of the pitch that brought him on.

Like, really? We actually think AK would pass on a deal (surely one of VERY few tangible offers to choose from) that he thought was the best Zach deal because it might make him look bad for making a bad move with the same middling team twice? I just don't see a shred of logic in that. Nobody thinks that way IMO. Because it's completely illogical for a fan to be more mad that 2 bad moves were made with the same team than 2 WORSE moves (by definition) made with two separate teams. I mean it's not like Orlando projects as any kind of powerhouse at any point on the horizon. They're just a team.

I think if anything AK's moves show that he could absolutely give AF about public perception. He could have trivially appeared better to most fans by "doing something" at the last 2-3 trade deadlines, but didn't.

That's really one very consistent theme in Bulls management since the Krause days. They do what they THINK is best, regardless of how unpopular it may be. And they are kept on the job for YEARS past when fans clearly want them gone despite that.

Making the Vuc trade (need to show we can make big moves)
Keeping Vuc after 1.5 years (need to show we weren't idiots with our first move)
Resigning Vuc (need to show we weren't idiots for trading him earlier and for our 1st move)

All seem like perception could have played a role to me. Granted, it could be they're just horrifically stupid too.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#227 » by dougthonus » Sat May 4, 2024 7:03 pm

DuckIII wrote:I didn’t say win a title. In my two posts breaking this down - a much longer one on the prior page - I was referring to reaching the conference finals or possibly winning the conference and reaching the Finals. That is my definition of contention.

So going by contending rather than absolutely winning it all outright (the odds of winning it all outright at the beginning of a season don’t mean much because with each series win the likelihood increases considerably), Philly is a significantly better option.

1. You keep not mentioning Maxey, but that is the key here (see post on prior page).

2. Philly with Maxey, Embiid and George is at worst the #2 projected team in the East and if actually healthy in the playoffs would be in a dead heat with Boston. And only Boston.

3. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have Philly in your “top 5” to win a title in the next 2-3 years because presumably your top 5 is Boston and 4 WC teams like everyone else’s top 5 would be. Philly would only have to beat one of those teams to reach the Finals and possibly see none of them at all until the ECF.

I just don’t see any argument where Philly and LAC are anywhere near equal footing if PG is choosing based on contending for a title.

I agree with everything you said except how much you value "contending" for a title vs "having a real chance to win a title". I don't know that "contending, but nah, no real chance" is really worth that much to George. Maybe it is. I have no idea. It doesn't feel to me that guys give up tons of money to have no real chance to win a title but have deeper playoff runs, but just my gut feeling.

I also wouldn't put the 76ers are #2 in the East with those three guys next year. A fully healthy Milwaukee team is better, and any of the other up and coming teams could compete with them too.

I think he'd have more success joining Orlando than Philly and have a longer opportunity to have more success, but I'm not sure that's worth giving up the money either.

Of course, giving up the money is purely theoretical. LAC may not offer the money anyway.

Anyway, that's a deep rabbit hole for something we're probably 97% aligned on. Like I could see everything you say playing out, Philly, Orlando, and LAC seem like the most likely destinations to me.
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#228 » by League Circles » Sat May 4, 2024 7:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I don't see any reason to think he cares about public perception in the way you might presume most execs naturally do. Ownership has never ever cared about that, going back many decades now. Reinsdorf is perfectly fine with the public ridiculing his managers, and surely AK knows that because it was probably part of the pitch that brought him on.

Like, really? We actually think AK would pass on a deal (surely one of VERY few tangible offers to choose from) that he thought was the best Zach deal because it might make him look bad for making a bad move with the same middling team twice? I just don't see a shred of logic in that. Nobody thinks that way IMO. Because it's completely illogical for a fan to be more mad that 2 bad moves were made with the same team than 2 WORSE moves (by definition) made with two separate teams. I mean it's not like Orlando projects as any kind of powerhouse at any point on the horizon. They're just a team.

I think if anything AK's moves show that he could absolutely give AF about public perception. He could have trivially appeared better to most fans by "doing something" at the last 2-3 trade deadlines, but didn't.

That's really one very consistent theme in Bulls management since the Krause days. They do what they THINK is best, regardless of how unpopular it may be. And they are kept on the job for YEARS past when fans clearly want them gone despite that.

Keeping Vuc after 1.5 years (need to show we weren't idiots with our first move)
Resigning Vuc (need to show we weren't idiots for trading him earlier and for our 1st move)

All seem like perception could have played a role to me. Granted, it could be they're just horrifically stupid too.

It's just strange to me that anyone would think that he'd be motivated to make pretty predictably unpopular moves for the purpose of seeking approval from fans/media when that has clearly never been an organizational priority as opposed to the purpose of he just thought Vuc was better than he was. He wasn't the only one. Vuc was a 2 time all star even though he was probably never that caliber of player.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by DuckIII » Sat May 4, 2024 7:08 pm

Chi town wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Nah. I’d go with Pride. Opposite of cowardice. Believes his own lies. Delusional.

A distinct possibility. :lol:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#230 » by dougthonus » Sat May 4, 2024 7:10 pm

DuckIII wrote:We’re all speculating as to what exactly it is that makes AK one of the worst 2-3 GMs in the league, but I’m going with cowardice. Which produces desperation. Which produces small minded stupidity. Just a guess.

If I had to really guess, I'd guess he just is too emotional about his own decisions. If you look at his MO, it was to come in here with a wrecking ball to everything that was the old regime. They even seemed to be aggressively shopping Coby / not giving him opportunities up until this year when they had no choice. They've tried to pin all their failings on the previous regime, and now it's Zach who is on the hot seat.

We're 4 years in and we haven't even heard of them considering moving a single major piece that they acquired, be it Donovan, Vuc, DeMar, Pat, or Caruso. He just seems incredibly attached to "his guys" and willing to pull the trigger at the absolute lowest value possible for any of the old guard guys.

Even this year, the projected off-season:
Resign DeMar, Pat
Trade Zach
Swap deck chairs

It's more of the same. I don't know how one would research this, but it seems like would potentially set records for lack of activity around players above MLE or 1st round selections that they brought in for a non playoff team.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#231 » by dougthonus » Sat May 4, 2024 7:14 pm

League Circles wrote:It's just strange to me that anyone would think that he'd be motivated to make pretty predictably unpopular moves for the purpose of seeking approval from fans/media when that has clearly never been an organizational priority as opposed to the purpose of he just thought Vuc was better than he was. He wasn't the only one. Vuc was a 2 time all star even though he was probably never that caliber of player.

Yeah, it doesn't matter. I'm not saying he definitely is concerned with perception, just that he's made a lot of really terrible moves and perception is just one explanation that isn't totally nonsensical. Incompetence is certainly another explanation.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,331

Post#232 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 4, 2024 8:24 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Of course he is. But you are ignoring the context, and I will say it again since you ignored it: My point is that the narrative that Lavine was unhappy and "asked to be traded" or "didn't want to be in Chicago" is far, far, far from what actually happened.

What do you think the narrative was? Zach was super happy in Chicago but asked to be traded?

I mean there might be layers to how unhappy he was or what he was unhappy with exactly, but he clearly asked to be traded and wanted to be traded and would not have done so if he was happy to be here and wanted to stay.

K.C. Johnson said differently. It's funny how everyone in here is a mind reader. there was never a single report that Zach asked to be traded.

Maybe if I put it this way.... it wasn't Zach who came up with the idea of trading him, and the Bulls did that long before Zach was reported to have agreed to work with them to get it done.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,331

Post#233 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 4, 2024 8:28 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Pretty sure he doesn't like the way the Bulls are coached, doesn't like Vuc's game, and that's why he quit on the team when they were 5-14. I don't blame him in regards to Vuc. They've been a bad pairing, and Lonzo/Demar/Caruso/Javonte were the additions that made us click for 2 months, not Vuc. Still, he got the 3.5X the bags that Vuc did, and a professional making that money should keep a smile on his face and try to elevate/support his team, not pout.

I think on a personal level, they all got along about as well as possible for a group that wasn't gelling at all, WANTED to win, and lost at a really high rate, on a relatively easy schedule. But when he made the trade demand, and on top of it, the Bulls then played better, I believe Billy and AK were like "OK - time to move on," and Zach's probably like 'thank you." Unfortunately for both sides, yet another injury delayed the inevitable.

I also think that Zach and Klutch thought they could be cute and trade their way to the Lakers... but they underestimated that Austin Reaves would have a clearly higher trade value than Zach.

IMO the organization has to keep its thoughts private, but I'm sure they are all incredibly disappointed and pissed off with LaVine for the trade demand, barely a year into his giant 5y max extension that was offered without any pushback. If you're Durant or Kawhi, atleast you back that up with elite play in the worst of times (injuries or bad teammates). Zach had the worst numbers of his career.

Anyway, I'm not debating anything. Just ranting thoughts on Zach and the Bulls. I blame both sides, and I also see both sides. Honestly didn't think it would get to this. This inevitable trade (crap return) is probably going to be the nail in this FO's coffin, if not settling on a 3y deal with Demar. A cap dump would be better, but they're gonna really shoot for some 'replacement level' players that'll just bog the cap and treadmill further down (Herro/Duncan, Gabe/Rui/D'Lo, THJ/Kleiber, or is it a ripe time for 40yo Chris Paul's retirement ceremony in Chicago?). I could see CJ McCollum really fitting AK's (and Billy's) vision as well. 6'2 SG approaching 32yo - what's not to love?
He never made "a trade demand" . Billy and AK had been trying to trade him for months before Zach said anything.

This is exactly what I am talking about in my previous posts.

Again, you're just making this up. It may or may not be true, because none of us knows. It's perfectly possible that the Bulls had been shopping him for years and that he also separately and subsequently made a trade demand. But you can't say "because the Bulls first had trade talks about him, it's not possible he demanded a trade."

My guess (and it's a guess, because we don't know), is that Zach's agent had a conversation with the Bulls' FO indicating Zach would prefer to be elsewhere. That may not be a "demand," but it would be a request. And I'm not critical of him for doing that if he did. If he did it, it appears to have been done privately and did not involve a media circus. Good for Zach!

And the Bulls didn't play better without Lavine. Coby White went on a tear and played better; for a short while. It doesn't matter who you put on the court, the Bulls end result is the same. Which makes you wonder what the coach is doing, doesn't it? No matter the level of talent on the court, the result is the same.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app

10-15 with LaVine. 29-28 without. 40% win percentage with, 51% without. By definition, the Bulls played better without him. Maybe that's correlation; maybe it's causation. The reason may have been Coby's improved play, but of course, that's directly related to Zach being out, as it allowed Coby to step into the #2 role. And one thing you have to think about when hanging onto core players when that core has hit its ceiling is whether they are standing in the way of the development of up-and-comers.

Now, neither win % is anything to write home about, I agree. But no, it sure doesn't "make you wonder what the coach is doing." Billy is no great shakes, but the Bulls are not an excellent head coach away from being some sort of legitimate playoff team. This team's problem is the roster. Everything else is way, way behind that concern.

I'm not making it up. That was what was just reported, and it it fits all the previous reports. God forbid I actually come in here commenting on something concrete an insider reported instead of just giving an unsubstantiated opinion.

Seriously. Everyone should just proceed making up narratives and trade ideas that will never work. Why pay attention to what is really happening?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,838

Post#234 » by Jcool0 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#235 » by burlydee » Sat May 4, 2024 8:36 pm

League Circles wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

It's just strange to me that anyone would think that he'd be motivated to make pretty predictably unpopular moves for the purpose of seeking approval from fans/media when that has clearly never been an organizational priority as opposed to the purpose of he just thought Vuc was better than he was. He wasn't the only one. Vuc was a 2 time all star even though he was probably never that caliber of player.

All evidence points to AK believing Vuc was Jokic light and being very wrong about that evaluation.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#236 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 4, 2024 9:03 pm

Never got with the “portal” buzz word.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#237 » by dougthonus » Sat May 4, 2024 9:45 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Of course he is. But you are ignoring the context, and I will say it again since you ignored it: My point is that the narrative that Lavine was unhappy and "asked to be traded" or "didn't want to be in Chicago" is far, far, far from what actually happened.

What do you think the narrative was? Zach was super happy in Chicago but asked to be traded?

I mean there might be layers to how unhappy he was or what he was unhappy with exactly, but he clearly asked to be traded and wanted to be traded and would not have done so if he was happy to be here and wanted to stay.

K.C. Johnson said differently. It's funny how everyone in here is a mind reader. there was never a single report that Zach asked to be traded.

Maybe if I put it this way.... it wasn't Zach who came up with the idea of trading him, and the Bulls did that long before Zach was reported to have agreed to work with them to get it done.

So you believe that Zach is happy to be here and his preference is to stay? Okay. You're alone on that island. Good luck convincing anyone else of that.
@doug_thonus on twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,406

Post#238 » by coldfish » Sun May 5, 2024 12:42 am

The good news is that the way things are shaking out, there might be a market for Zach. He won't be the most pursued guy but he could go in a second wave after teams miss out on their first target. At one point I was thinking that Chicago might just trade him for absolute junk.

I will say this. The writing is on the wall. The plan is to bring back the team as is, including giving Demar a big offer. Then trade Zach in a way that allows them to just slide under the tax barrier.

Ayo / Ball?
Coby / Caruso
Demar
Patrick
Vucevic
+ draft pick and random parts that come back in trade for Lavine.

That's your 38-44 Chicago Bulls.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Post#239 » by Red8911 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:03 am

coldfish wrote:The good news is that the way things are shaking out, there might be a market for Zach. He won't be the most pursued guy but he could go in a second wave after teams miss out on their first target. At one point I was thinking that Chicago might just trade him for absolute junk.

I will say this. The writing is on the wall. The plan is to bring back the team as is, including giving Demar a big offer. Then trade Zach in a way that allows them to just slide under the tax barrier.

Ayo / Ball?
Coby / Caruso
Demar
Patrick
Vucevic
+ draft pick and random parts that come back in trade for Lavine.

That's your 38-44 Chicago Bulls.

I’m pretty sure there will be more moves this time. AK for the first time sounded like he wanted to make changes. Sure Demar might be coming back and as the best player of this team it’s not a bad move but doesn’t necessarily mean everyone else is coming back as well.

The way I see it only Coby, Ayo, and probably Patrick (despite being a RFA) are safe to return. The rest of the roster can be used in trades including Vuc and AC.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#240 » by dougthonus » Sun May 5, 2024 1:11 pm

Red8911 wrote:I’m pretty sure there will be more moves this time. AK for the first time sounded like he wanted to make changes. Sure Demar might be coming back and as the best player of this team it’s not a bad move but doesn’t necessarily mean everyone else is coming back as well.

The way I see it only Coby, Ayo, and probably Patrick (despite being a RFA) are safe to return. The rest of the roster can be used in trades including Vuc and AC.

:dontknow:

He effectively said at the end of season last year "just wait until you see what I do in free agency" or something like that, then used 7M of the MLE on Jevon Carter and brought in Torey Craig. I wouldn't get too hyped up.

And sure, not _everyone_ is coming back, but you just listed everyone on the team that has any value whatsoever outside of AC as safe to return. So again, we're trading Zach and swapping deck chairs.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls