Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1941 » by MAQ » Wed May 8, 2024 1:12 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

The bear claw is somehow very cheesy but kindve awesome at the same time lol

I think the fact that it looks so lame and cheesy yet they do it anyway is what makes it really endearing, at least for me. I don't know them, but big time athletes give off the "too cool for school" vibe all the time. No way they'd commit to doing something so obviously lame. Yet there they are...
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#1942 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed May 8, 2024 1:48 am

MAQ wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the fact that it looks so lame and cheesy yet they do it anyway is what makes it really endearing, at least for me. I don't know them, but big time athletes give off the "too cool for school" vibe all the time. No way they'd commit to doing something so obviously lame. Yet there they are...

Exactly. They’re definitely comfortable in their own skin, don’t really care what everyone thinks. That’s real confidence.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#1943 » by Hold That » Wed May 8, 2024 4:28 am

MAQ wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Caleb is a bit awkward and nerdy so him coming up with the Bear Claw is not surprising..

Fans will see a lot of similarities personality wise between he and Kobe.. especially “young Kobe” if people remember Kobe when he got into the league, he was arrogant unapologetic and knew he’d be great. And rubbed people the wrong way.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,566

Post#1944 » by fleet » Wed May 8, 2024 10:43 am

Caleb is either a delusional psycho, or the next Kobe
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#1945 » by Almost Retired » Wed May 8, 2024 11:42 am

Has an NFL team ever had 3 players with 1,000 receiving yards during the same season? If so, when?

Yes, there have been five.

The most recent was the 2008 Cardinals led by Fitzgerald with 1,431 receiving yards.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's make it #6.
Electric Slim
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,087

Post#1946 » by Electric Slim » Wed May 8, 2024 12:05 pm

MAQ wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's their version of the Darius Miles / Quentin Richardson "Knuckleheads" thing on the Clippers (not that they remember because they weren't born yet)
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,961

Post#1947 » by Dresden » Wed May 8, 2024 4:11 pm

molepharmer wrote:CHGO podcast one on one with special teams coach Richard Hightower. First ~27min were just basically background on RH. He gets asked about Tory Taylor ~27:30 and is almost giddy at ~28:40 because other teams (via texts) hated the Bears taking Taylor off the board.

Wait, so Poles wasn't lying when he said he had to take the punter when he did because other teams would have taken him shortly thereafter?
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,961

Post#1948 » by Dresden » Wed May 8, 2024 4:15 pm

fleet wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:No GM is going to hit on every move. But when you honestly assess the revival of this franchise since he took over you cannot help but conclude that he has done a magnificent job overall. We were going nowhere fast with aging vets on big contracts and very little draft capital. Now we have a roster that set to compete in our tough Division and with experience and another good Draft next year we should be a contender for even more. I'm jacked up for the coming season.

He’s done very well overall. I can’t go magnificent, yet history will certainly judge his job as magnificent. Results seem magnificent. He has been incredibly lucky without which the team’s fortunes might be much less defined. I am satisfied. But he couldn’t repeat this if he tried. Nobody could.

We've been dealt a very, very good hand, but Poles has also played it like a champ. His decision not to take a QB last year, and then TO take a QB this year were both decisions that got criticized by many, and opened him up to a lot of second guessing, but ultimately ended up being exactly the right way to play things. We got a massive haul for #1 last year, and took a generational talent at QB this year.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,273

Post#1949 » by TheJordanRule » Wed May 8, 2024 4:41 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:No GM is going to hit on every move. But when you honestly assess the revival of this franchise since he took over you cannot help but conclude that he has done a magnificent job overall. We were going nowhere fast with aging vets on big contracts and very little draft capital. Now we have a roster that set to compete in our tough Division and with experience and another good Draft next year we should be a contender for even more. I'm jacked up for the coming season.

He’s done very well overall. I can’t go magnificent, yet history will certainly judge his job as magnificent. Results seem magnificent. He has been incredibly lucky without which the team’s fortunes might be much less defined. I am satisfied. But he couldn’t repeat this if he tried. Nobody could.

We've been dealt a very, very good hand, but Poles has also played it like a champ. His decision not to take a QB last year, and then TO take a QB this year were both decisions that got criticized by many, and opened him up to a lot of second guessing, but ultimately ended up being exactly the right way to play things. We got a massive haul for #1 last year, and took a generational talent at QB this year.

What we got out of passing on a QB last year for that haul is unprecedented. DJ Moore, legit #1 WR. Darnell Wright, our best OL and starting RT. Tyrique Stevenson, our best starting CB. Caleb Williams, who not only was the consensus pick at #1 this year, but who woulda been the first draft pick last year if he had entered. And we still have a second rounder next year to spend on some other potential stud. Addresses a ton of team needs in one deal. Never seen this before.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,688

Post#1950 » by sco » Wed May 8, 2024 5:37 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:He’s done very well overall. I can’t go magnificent, yet history will certainly judge his job as magnificent. Results seem magnificent. He has been incredibly lucky without which the team’s fortunes might be much less defined. I am satisfied. But he couldn’t repeat this if he tried. Nobody could.

What we got out of passing on a QB last year for that haul is unprecedented. DJ Moore, legit #1 WR. Darnell Wright, our best OL and starting RT. Tyrique Stevenson, our best starting CB. Caleb Williams, who not only was the consensus pick at #1 this year, but who woulda been the first draft pick last year if he had entered. And we still have a second rounder next year to spend on some other potential stud. Addresses a ton of team needs in one deal. Never seen this before.

The shame of it all was that we whiffed on Fields. Imagine where we'd be if he panned out. We could have traded the pick for another haul.
:clap:
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#1951 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed May 8, 2024 5:49 pm

Almost Retired wrote:Has an NFL team ever had 3 players with 1,000 receiving yards during the same season? If so, when?

The most recent was the 2008 Cardinals led by Fitzgerald with 1,431 receiving yards.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's make it #6.

1000 yards is a lot from Rome to me. I think he’ll have a similar year as JSN did last year in Waldrons offense. 600-700 yards, 60-70 receptions. I think he’s better than JSN, but they have some similarities.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#1952 » by patryk7754 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:52 pm

Could JJ Watt be our solution at DE? I only saw the headline, but it seems like he'd be willing to come back for a playoff run - similar to what Eric Weddle did with the Rams. When he said it, it was probably only talking about coming back for the Texans but, if we are good enough, Eberflus might be able to convince him to come in for a playoff run. I think most of us agree, that playoffs are the expectation, and depending on how good we look, he could be on "final piece" to make a strong playoff run.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,273

Post#1953 » by TheJordanRule » Wed May 8, 2024 6:35 pm

sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:
Dresden wrote:

The shame of it all was that we whiffed on Fields. Imagine where we'd be if he panned out. We could have traded the pick for another haul.

Folks woulda paid what we got from the Panthers and THEN SOME. Caleb was rated the highest QB prospect for not just last year, but perhaps the last decade. Maybe three 1st round picks, three second round picks, and another young superstar like DJ? Whoo! That woulda been fire. On the flip side, I'm not sure I'd even want to go that route with Justin performing at a high level. Damn. At the start of last season, I was so pro Justin that I hardly recognize myself. Shout out to Fleet, Dresden, Doug and all of you who helped raise my football IQ. It matters to me now that Justin was still working his way out of obnoxious habits like staying stuck on option 1, abandoning the pocket too early and scrambling out of plays for inexplicable reasons. I quit being a Justin fanboy for those reasons. While Lamar proved that Justin's particular style can be effective, Lamar also showed us that this style is not conducive to being a multiplier. Caleb is a multiplier. Justin is not. And Lamar, who represents Justin's upside, is not a multiplier either. The trade off with those 3 1sts, 3 seconds and one young stud is that we'd be stuck with a nonmultiplier at QB. I'm not sure that's a better outcome.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,465

Post#1954 » by CBS7 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:01 pm

Almost Retired wrote:Has an NFL team ever had 3 players with 1,000 receiving yards during the same season? If so, when?

Let's make it #6.

I know the league is more pass happy nowadays but Caleb isn't prime Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. We also have Kmet, Everett and Swift who will all get some targets.

I'd guess it goes down like this:

Moore 1000 yards
Allen 800 yards (misses some games)
Odunze 700 yards
Kmet 700 yards
Everett 300 yards
Swift 300 yards
Everyone else 300 yards

Even thats 4100 yards from Caleb.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#1955 » by patryk7754 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:21 pm

CBS7 wrote:

Let's make it #6.

I know the league is more pass happy nowadays but Caleb isn't prime Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner.

He’s year 2 Dan Marino :D
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1956 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu May 9, 2024 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

This guy is really about to be the most popular figure in Illinois

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,891

Post#1957 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:39 am

TheJordanRule wrote:
sco wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:

Folks woulda paid what we got from the Panthers and THEN SOME. Caleb was rated the highest QB prospect for not just last year, but perhaps the last decade. Maybe three 1st round picks, three second round picks, and another young superstar like DJ? Whoo! That woulda been fire. On the flip side, I'm not sure I'd even want to go that route with Justin performing at a high level. Damn. At the start of last season, I was so pro Justin that I hardly recognize myself. Shout out to Fleet, Dresden, Doug and all of you who helped raise my football IQ. It matters to me now that Justin was still working his way out of obnoxious habits like staying stuck on option 1, abandoning the pocket too early and scrambling out of plays for inexplicable reasons. I quit being a Justin fanboy for those reasons. While Lamar proved that Justin's particular style can be effective, Lamar also showed us that this style is not conducive to being a multiplier. Caleb is a multiplier. Justin is not. And Lamar, who represents Justin's upside, is not a multiplier either. The trade off with those 3 1sts, 3 seconds and one young stud is that we'd be stuck with a nonmultiplier at QB. I'm not sure that's a better outcome.

I was preety much done with Justin after that stillshot tweet from the Bucs game. He was in a clean pocket, with 2 WRs open, one of which likely would have taken it home given the positioning..... The play ended in a sack :noway:

Also why i don't buy the argument that he had crap weapons. Those 2 WRs could have been prime Moss and Owens. Doesn't matter when you don't hit them
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#1958 » by dice » Thu May 9, 2024 2:41 am

CBS7 wrote:

Let's make it #6.

I know the league is more pass happy nowadays but Caleb isn't prime Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner. We also have Kmet, Everett and Swift who will all get some targets.

I'd guess it goes down like this:

Moore 1000 yards
Allen 800 yards (misses some games)
Odunze 700 yards
Kmet 700 yards
Everett 300 yards
Swift 300 yards
Everyone else 300 yards

Even thats 4100 yards from Caleb.

kmet had 719 last season and a strong connection w/ justin. he will likely see less snaps this season AND has a lot more competition. remains to be seen whether caleb will use the safety net as much as justin too
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#1959 » by dice » Thu May 9, 2024 2:45 am

TheJordanRule wrote:
Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:He’s done very well overall. I can’t go magnificent, yet history will certainly judge his job as magnificent. Results seem magnificent. He has been incredibly lucky without which the team’s fortunes might be much less defined. I am satisfied. But he couldn’t repeat this if he tried. Nobody could.

wright is certainly not our best OL...yet? and stevenson is FAR from what JJ did last season

enough with the pissing away of draft picks for short-term and/or expensive fixes

and people need to stop pretending that taking justin fields over CJ stroud was poles shrewdly playing the long game. the plan was not to get extremely lucky. the realistic plan (a reasonable one!) was to take a mccarthy/penix-level talent if fields didn't work out. anything more than that was a bonus or require substantial draft capital to move up. carolina could have just as easily had a season like the texans last season. and everything in-between

winning the lottery does not earn credit for being a sound financial planner
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1960 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu May 9, 2024 11:45 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls