Image ImageImage Image

Bears 6.0 - Bear Witness to their 1st elite offense

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,692

Re: Bears 6.0 - Bear Witness to their 1st elite offense 

Post#41 » by sco » Sat May 11, 2024 6:24 pm

Chi town wrote:
sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/with-caleb-williams-theres-a-little-bit-of-star-quality

Fully agree.

After JF, I will not let myself get excited or depressed about CW this season. Anyone expecting a season like CJ had last season is statistically almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

I’m the polar opposite. I was always wait and see with JF1. Never bought his jersey. My last jersey was Urlacher.

CW is built different. He was brought up like Tiger Woods. Raised and trained from a kid to be and do this. He has the head and competitive spirit to be it for a long time too.

I’ve given myself permission to go all in!

I admire your optimism!
:clap:
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#42 » by Almost Retired » Sat May 11, 2024 7:05 pm

Chi town wrote:
sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/with-caleb-williams-theres-a-little-bit-of-star-quality

Fully agree.

After JF, I will not let myself get excited or depressed about CW this season. Anyone expecting a season like CJ had last season is statistically almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

I’m the polar opposite. I was always wait and see with JF1. Never bought his jersey. My last jersey was Urlacher.

CW is built different. He was brought up like Tiger Woods. Raised and trained from a kid to be and do this. He has the head and competitive spirit to be it for a long time too.

Me too! I just hope he has a "no motorcycle" clause inserted into his contract. I remember how excited I was about Jay Williams prospects for the Bulls about 22 years ago. If Williams had never gotten hurt we might not have drafted Derrick Rose.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Post#43 » by PaKii94 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:43 pm

Chi town wrote:
sco wrote:

Fully agree.

I'm with you. I didn't believe in trubisky at all and was hesitant on fields. I'm in on CW. He has "IT" factor and the talent to live up to it
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,599

Post#44 » by fleet » Sat May 11, 2024 10:35 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
JJ

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don’t want to make too much of that at all, but it looks like they are working on footwork drills. My impression of JJ’s footwork and launch platform was that it was a lot like Justin Fields. JJ will have to work hard on throwing with good footwork. By the way, that 3-4 side arm ain’t making it
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#45 » by fleet » Sat May 11, 2024 10:38 pm

Caleb is morphing into the ultimate Bears superfan. It won’t be too long before he hosts SNL
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#46 » by biggestbullsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 12:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Honestly, as an undrafted rookie, I’m definitely doing the claw, even if i find it corny. Anything to get me a camp invitation lol :lol:
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 381

Post#47 » by JockItch43 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:09 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Honestly, as an undrafted rookie, I’m definitely doing the claw, even if i find it corny. Anything to get me a camp invitation lol :lol:

Everyone in the photo who didn't do the claw got immediately cut. Odunze got a pass.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,628
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#48 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Chi town wrote:
sco wrote:After JF, I will not let myself get excited or depressed about CW this season. Anyone expecting a season like CJ had last season is statistically almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

I'm with you. I didn't believe in trubisky at all and was hesitant on fields. I'm in on CW. He has "IT" factor and the talent to live up to it

CHOO CHOO

:rockon:
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#49 » by fleet » Sun May 12, 2024 5:14 am

Caleb wears a sleeve on his leg. That old hamstring question might have been a real question. Was wondering why it kept being mentioned as if it could be anything more than normal/minor pull. Could that have had something to do with not doing combine drills?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#50 » by fleet » Sun May 12, 2024 11:05 am

On Fields:

Following the departure of Justin Fields from the team, one of Fields’ coaches with the Chicago Bears had a pretty brutal assessment of Fields’ processing ability at the quarterback position, claiming that Fields’ “eyes are all over the place” and that it’s “just bad football.”

“Watch his eyes. He tries to see the whole thing and doesn’t see anything. His eyes are all over the place and it’s just really hard to watch. It’s just bad football,” the coach said anonymously, according to independent long-form journalist Tyler Dunne.

https://nextimpulsesports.com/nfl/chicago-bears-justin-fields-eyes-processing/

On Caleb:

Hall of Famer Warren Moon leaps right into this comparison.

“Very creative, very talented,” Moon says. “He’s tough and he can throw it with all the arm angles. He doesn’t have to be set. He’s a miniature Pat Mahomes. He’s probably better than Pat Mahomes coming out of college.”

One scout who’s tracked Williams closely describes the quarterback as a supercharged Donovan McNabb. He believes. He sees Williams as the face of the Bears for years.

He wore a red dress for a GQ photo shoot. One GM said he’s essentially Prince playing quarterback. One exec told Go Long he’s “spoiled and demanding,” while a scout added that Williams has enjoyed “red carpet treatment since the 9th grade,” reflective in his father reportedly asking NFL teams if it’d be possible for his son to receive a stake in ownership and, per one club official, claiming Chicago is too windy

Suffice to say, the curious case of Caleb Williams was a new one for NFL scouts these last three years. It’s their job to hyper-analyze all glam, all tears to decipher if this is a quarterback who’ll rise up in the face of NFL adversity or wilt. Or prove too fragile for such a violent game played by violent grown men. Honestly, that’s the sort of rhetoric I expected to hear from one trusted scout who’s been following Williams closely. Instead, this scout reveals the exact opposite. He effusively praises Williams’ iron will. Before even touching on the QB’s athletic gifts, he insists all pizzazz is an all-time head fake.

The idea that Williams is not a competitor, not tough is “a completely false narrative” to him.

“I just think it’s different than what most people are used to,” the scout says. “This guy is the ultimate team player, the ultimate competitor. This is the guy you really want leading your franchise.”

The Bears have to open their mind, he believes, to a quarterback who simply “looks” different and “sounds” different.

“He’s one of the true Generation Z quarterbacks that we’ve seen, and there’s something wrong with it only if you find something wrong with it.

“Ultimately though he loves his teammates and he just wants to win.”

“This dude is the ultimate competitor.”

https://substack.com/@golongtd
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#51 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

As skinny as Poles is getting it’s going to negatively affect his ability to draft and evaluate O linemen. I’m not a fan of it. Same thing goes for Cunningham. Two skinny Minnie’s won’t cut it.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,634

Post#52 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 pm

fleet wrote:On Fields:

Following the departure of Justin Fields from the team, one of Fields’ coaches with the Chicago Bears had a pretty brutal assessment of Fields’ processing ability at the quarterback position, claiming that Fields’ “eyes are all over the place” and that it’s “just bad football.”

“Watch his eyes. He tries to see the whole thing and doesn’t see anything. His eyes are all over the place and it’s just really hard to watch. It’s just bad football,” the coach said anonymously, according to independent long-form journalist Tyler Dunne.

On Caleb:

“Very creative, very talented,” Moon says. “He’s tough and he can throw it with all the arm angles. He doesn’t have to be set. He’s a miniature Pat Mahomes. He’s probably better than Pat Mahomes coming out of college.”

One scout who’s tracked Williams closely describes the quarterback as a supercharged Donovan McNabb. He believes. He sees Williams as the face of the Bears for years.

He wore a red dress for a GQ photo shoot. One GM said he’s essentially Prince playing quarterback. One exec told Go Long he’s “spoiled and demanding,” while a scout added that Williams has enjoyed “red carpet treatment since the 9th grade,” reflective in his father reportedly asking NFL teams if it’d be possible for his son to receive a stake in ownership and, per one club official, claiming Chicago is too windy

Suffice to say, the curious case of Caleb Williams was a new one for NFL scouts these last three years. It’s their job to hyper-analyze all glam, all tears to decipher if this is a quarterback who’ll rise up in the face of NFL adversity or wilt. Or prove too fragile for such a violent game played by violent grown men. Honestly, that’s the sort of rhetoric I expected to hear from one trusted scout who’s been following Williams closely. Instead, this scout reveals the exact opposite. He effusively praises Williams’ iron will. Before even touching on the QB’s athletic gifts, he insists all pizzazz is an all-time head fake.

The idea that Williams is not a competitor, not tough is “a completely false narrative” to him.

“I just think it’s different than what most people are used to,” the scout says. “This guy is the ultimate team player, the ultimate competitor. This is the guy you really want leading your franchise.”

The Bears have to open their mind, he believes, to a quarterback who simply “looks” different and “sounds” different.

“He’s one of the true Generation Z quarterbacks that we’ve seen, and there’s something wrong with it only if you find something wrong with it.

Why now and why anonymously? I just don’t get the need for the unnecessary smear campaign at this point. Most of the people that supported Fields have pretty much moved on. Most of the noise now seems to be coming from folks that seem to be attempting to satisfy some sort of insecurity about whether or not Caleb is really the guy. He looks the part. I think it’s just time to relax.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#53 » by fleet » Sun May 12, 2024 11:35 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
fleet wrote:On Fields:

On Caleb:

Why now and why anonymously? I just don’t get the need for the unnecessary smear campaign at this point. Most of the people that supported Fields have pretty much moved on. Most of the noise now seems to be coming from folks that seem to be attempting to satisfy some sort of insecurity about whether or not Caleb is really the guy. He looks the part. I think it’s just time to relax.

Bears coaches issuing anonymous Fields criticism being labeled as engaging a smear campaign would be interesting if the labeling came from a place of disagreement among peers. But it isn’t.

You are reopening a cold fan battle. Implying ’Fields supporters’ as the healthy (not insecure) ones if they have “moved on” is curious as you OTOH simultaneously dig up a dead body. The reality is that Fields supporters are out of ammunition to continuously, erroneously deny what was obviously taking place, which is why they moved on. For now. As soon as Fields does well, or Caleb fumbles a couple times many will be back in droves to claim they should have been listened to. Mark it down. I doubt there is any emotional superiority there. Go ahead, relax if you want. Here, we will keep reporting all the Chicago quarterback landscape news and information that’s out there to be reported
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Betta Bulleavit » Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am

fleet wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:

Bears coaches issuing anonymous Fields criticism being labeled as engaging a smear campaign would be interesting if the labeling came from a place of disagreement among peers. But it isn’t.

You are reopening a cold fan battle. Implying ’Fields supporters’ as the healthy (not insecure) ones if they have “moved on” is curious as you OTOH simultaneously dig up a dead body. The reality is that Fields supporters are out of ammunition to continuously, erroneously deny what was obviously taking place, which is why they moved on. For now. As soon as Fields does well, or Caleb fumbles a couple times many will be back in droves to claim they should have been listened to. Mark it down. I doubt there is any emotional superiority there. Go ahead, relax if you want. Here, we will keep reporting all the Chicago quarterback landscape news and information that’s out there to be reported

It doesn’t really matter WHY Fields supporters moved on. The fact of the matter is that most of us have. As much of a supporter as I am of Fields, I’m an even bigger supporter of Poles. And I vowed to support whatever decision he and the organization made in that regard.

With that said, I just don’t see what the point of this piece really is other than to justify the idea that moving on from Justin was the best move. But I don’t think that it really requires any further justification or BS anonymous statements. I’m all for talking about the Bears QB landscape. But I’d like to think that such discussions should start with say…..Bears QBs. Right?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#55 » by fleet » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
fleet wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Why now and why anonymously? I just don’t get the need for the unnecessary smear campaign at this point. Most of the people that supported Fields have pretty much moved on. Most of the noise now seems to be coming from folks that seem to be attempting to satisfy some sort of insecurity about whether or not Caleb is really the guy. He looks the part. I think it’s just time to relax.

It doesn’t really matter WHY Fields supporters moved on. The fact of the matter is that most of us have. As much of a supporter as I am of Fields, I’m an even bigger supporter of Poles. And I vowed to support whatever decision he and the organization made in that regard.

With that said, I just don’t see what the point of this piece really is other than to justify the idea that moving on from Justin was the best move. But I don’t think that it really requires any further justification or BS anonymous statements. I’m all for talking about the Bears QB landscape. But I’d like to think that such discussions should start with say…..Bears QBs. Right?

The point was, a journalist receives information, journalist passes it on. That’s it. I don’t know man, Fields just left like 5 minutes ago. If Bears coaches want to weigh in with data points, some people may still be interested in what they said. If this was say… Janocko, how can that not be an interesting read to a Bears or Steelers fan? We still don’t need or want journalists to be gatekeepers of information regardless of what anyone specific is interested in reading. And if you’re calling BS, many have called BS all along. And look at where we ended up.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,083

Post#56 » by Chi town » Mon May 13, 2024 1:39 am

I’m with Fleet. Too soon in a need to talk about it way.

Two things are clear…

Fields has NO ANTICIPATION. This is what DJ has said over and over after playing with Caleb about what he has. Also inferring Fields had none.

Report above shows he can’t read the field. His eyes are everywhere as a result they are nowhere.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 910

Post#57 » by HearshotKDS » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The claw thing is so hokey and I think that just makes it more endearing to me. Gorb bless and protect that Caleb Williams. :lol:
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,963

Post#58 » by Dresden » Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 pm

dougthonus wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:this seems like a really harsh characterization of how the bears got to where they are, and it seems like it hinges primarily on the notion that poles should have identified that a prospect who wasn't the top QB in his class would turn out to be arguably the best rookie quarterback of all time. you don't have to be a preternatural talent evaluator to be a good gm

tearing the team down to the studs, moving veterans for draft picks, landing a top draft asset in 2023, flipping that top draft asset into multiple valuable draft assets and a proven young player, declining to overcommit to fields, positioning yourself to land a top QB in the 2024 class — these are all very much intentional parts of poles's tenure that are crucial to where the team is at today.

none of those are really next-level visionary moves, but it's a sensible path to building a roster that has created a promising future for the franchise. and i think that would still be true if we had the #2 pick in 2023, or if we needed to use both of our first rounders this year to trade into the top 3 for one of the top-tier QB prospects, or whatever other scenarios you want to envision where our luck wasn't quite as good.

Poles made the win now move at 3-5 to trade a 2nd for Claypool in the year they were the worst team in the league. He wasn't aiming to get that #1 pick. That pick is the basis for everything that happened afterwards, and he has it against what he demonstrably tried to do not because of what he tried to do.

His continued belief in Fields (which now appears unjustified) is what caused him to move that #1 pick that year, and just an amazingly great fortune happened that got him the #1 pick a 2nd year in a row with an elite prospect available.

Those events constitute the vast majority of the positive Bears thoughts right now, both things happened because Poles thought the team was better than it was and still believed in Justin Fields. Completely misevaluating what would happen worked out massively in his favor in consecutive years.

It doesn't really matter how we got here though, we're here now. Poles has had a few years in the seat, and I'm sure he learned some tough lessons along the way. Right place / right time can go along way towards making mistakes painful or not painful.

As you pointed out, the Bears were 3-5 when the Claypool trade was made- not, as you later said "the worst team in the league". Poles couldn't have foreseen at the time the team would not win another game all year. Claypool was exactly what the Bears were looking for- he was big and fast and should have provided a good target for Justin, whose strength was throwing the deep ball. Yes, it turned out poorly, but the rationale behind the trade was sound- he wanted to give Fields more targets to throw to, so that he could better evaluate how good Fields was. It wasn't a "win now" move, it was a move to help him evaluate Fields, and to help Fields develop (just as this year, he's surrounded Caleb with Odunze and Allen to go with DJ and Kmet).

The other statement I take issue with is that he "completely misevaluated what would happen"- I take it you mean Fields not working out. It's not correct, IMO, to say this was a complete misevaluation. Poles felt he didn't have a complete read on Fields yet, and thought he deserved one more year. He gave him an "incomplete", not an "A+". He was unsure of Fields, but thought he needed one more year to fully evaluate him. Not a terrible idea. And he hedged his bet by knowing he would have two pretty high FRP's in '24, so he could move up to get a QB then if he needed to.

It seems to me you aren't giving him enough credit for making a very savvy deal with CAR. We ended up trading Bryce Young/CJ Stroud for Caleb Williams, Tyrique Stevenson, Darnell Wright, DJ Moore, and a 2nd round pick in '25.
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 853

Post#59 » by Bullflip » Mon May 13, 2024 2:02 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
Chi town wrote:
sco wrote:After JF, I will not let myself get excited or depressed about CW this season. Anyone expecting a season like CJ had last season is statistically almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

Me too! I just hope he has a "no motorcycle" clause inserted into his contract. I remember how excited I was about Jay Williams prospects for the Bulls about 22 years ago. If Williams had never gotten hurt we might not have drafted Derrick Rose.

I forget. Did Jay Williams look good in the few games he played for the Bulls? How would he have projected compared to Rose?
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Betta Bulleavit » Mon May 13, 2024 2:51 pm

Chi town wrote:I’m with Fleet. Too soon in a need to talk about it way.

Two things are clear…

Fields has NO ANTICIPATION. This is what DJ has said over and over after playing with Caleb about what he has. Also inferring Fields had none.

Report above shows he can’t read the field. His eyes are everywhere as a result they are nowhere.

I think that you and Fleet both make valid points with regards to the “newness” of our current QB situation. We have a body of work on JF whereas we don’t with Caleb so perhaps that makes the JF discussion easier to have at the moment.

With that said, I despise anyone that could criticize a player in the way that this supposed “source” did while at the same time not being willing to put their name on it. It just doesn’t feel like the standup thing to do. Even if you are trying to protect yourself and your career, one could just opt to not say anything at all. Then there is the timing of it as well. Why now? At a time when this coach is presumably no longer here. Fields is no longer here. The integrity of it all just feels highly questionable to me.

Bottom line, I just wish we could be excited about Caleb while simply wishing Justin luck on his future NFL endeavors. Football aside, I believe JF is a good dude that doesn’t deserve to have his professionalism and character attacked on the way out the door. It’s cheap and tacky in my opinion.

Return to Chicago Bulls