Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p76 - Lonzo Has Started Sprinting!

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Will Lonzo be available to play at the start of the season?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 196

jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,121

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p76 - Lonzo Has Started Sprinting! 

Post#1621 » by jordanwilliams6 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:18 pm

Bulliever2020 wrote:I'm not a doctor but proclaiming you're at 70% after 2.5 years of rehab doesn't sound all that encouraging to me

It was a weird comment though because he also said ‘good enough to play’. What does that mean? If it was 9 months down the track in the middle of the season, would he be playing?
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Re: Lonzo Ball Recovery tracking thread update p76 - Lonzo Has Started Sprinting! 

Post#1622 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed May 15, 2024 9:57 pm

70%? I want to know what % he felt at the beginning of the season.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,960

Post#1623 » by dougthonus » Wed May 15, 2024 10:17 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:I'm not a doctor but proclaiming you're at 70% after 2.5 years of rehab doesn't sound all that encouraging to me

It was a weird comment though because he also said ‘good enough to play’. What does that mean? If it was 9 months down the track in the middle of the season, would he be playing?

The whole concept of % healthy is meaningless. What is 0%? Can't walk? Can't run? Can't play 5/5 at the local gym? Not good enough to be on an NBA roster?

There's really no rational way to have any idea what 70% even means, like is your vertical or speed only 70% of what it used to be? Probably not what he means.

So when I hear something like 70%, I think all it really means is he still has a pretty long way to go. Typically when guys return from injury and say they're 100% they still aren't as good as they were previously anyway, but there is no standard to what a percentage means and every player that uses one just makes up a number based on unknown things that you can't meaningfully extrapolate.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Guru
Starter
And1: 223

Post#1624 » by Guru » Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:

The whole concept of % healthy is meaningless. What is 0%? Can't walk? Can't run? Can't play 5/5 at the local gym? Not good enough to be on an NBA roster?

There's really no rational way to have any idea what 70% even means, like is your vertical or speed only 70% of what it used to be? Probably not what he means.

So when I hear something like 70%, I think all it really means is he still has a pretty long way to go. Typically when guys return from injury and say they're 100% they still aren't as good as they were previously anyway, but there is no standard to what a percentage means and every player that uses one just makes up a number based on unknown things that you can't meaningfully extrapolate.

I view it as "I can do everything but not at the level I used to."
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#1625 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu May 16, 2024 12:35 am

I expect he will be able to able to play, but nowhere near what he was preinjury. Even if get to 90 percent that would still be the case. He missed too much time.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Post#1626 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 16, 2024 12:43 am

I think you have to basically start the clock from whenever he got the cartilage transplant, because he basically was at 0% in his rehab until then.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,008

Post#1627 » by Bulliever2020 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 am

dougthonus wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:

This is my take on it as well. The percentage means nothing other than Lonzo is clearly communicating he is nowhere near where he was pre-injury, while also trying to split the difference and placate the naysayers/"haters" saying he has no chance to come back by giving a percentage that is above the median. It's a no-report report to me that is clearly trying to straddle the fence. It's not a negative report per se but there is nothing about it that is positive imo.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 166

Post#1628 » by DropStep » Thu May 16, 2024 3:34 am

dougthonus wrote:2: Only one player has ever missed as much (or more) time as he will miss and come back to be a relevant player (Grant Hill)

Good call on Hill. This makes me think of Shaun Livingston, who, depending on your definition of "missed time" was close, too. Klay Thompson missed time with two different injuries and had some active time between them, which is not quite the same - and neither is he. Jermaine O'Neal came back from three years mostly injured, and was kinda relevant, but again, not the same. Bill Walton with the Celts? Severely compromised, obviously, but 6th man award.

I think there was some other Bull who missed almost two seasons and came back and did pretty well. Seems like it was some sort of gambling suspension rather than injury, though. Then he had an unfortunate encounter with a cigar cutter, missed over two more years and came back to finish pretty high on the MVP ballot.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 166

Post#1629 » by DropStep » Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 am

BTW I'm actually kind of pumped by the 70% estimate. He's got five more months before he has to play a game. If he gets over 85%, he will be useful for us, and will likely stay in the league in some fashion. Hopefully he will get incrementally better from there as he gets his feet under him.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#1630 » by biggestbullsfan » Thu May 16, 2024 4:30 am

Read on Twitter
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,944

Post#1631 » by ChettheJet » Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 pm

It's hilarious to hear people putting values on his 70% comment. Kids there's no meter he plugs into his knee and it reads out what it is. He feels good or he wouldn't talk about it at all, he'd give the old right on the imaginary timetable that nobody knows anyway. You react to an inexact figure and have him retired in a wheelchair. He feels good enough to get on a court and move around and let somebody post video of it. Otherwise he just tell the person, hey don't show me OK.

You know what I see, he's not wearing a brace or sleeve on his knee. If he was not feeling right or had some instability, he wouldn't be out the bare doing even the light effort he's showing. Did you watch the NBA lately, how many guys with or without repaired knees wear one if not two sleeves?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#1632 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu May 16, 2024 5:58 pm

ChettheJet wrote:It's hilarious to hear people putting values on his 70% comment. Kids there's no meter he plugs into his knee and it reads out what it is. He feels good or he wouldn't talk about it at all, he'd give the old right on the imaginary timetable that nobody knows anyway. You react to an inexact figure and have him retired in a wheelchair. He feels good enough to get on a court and move around and let somebody post video of it. Otherwise he just tell the person, hey don't show me OK.

You know what I see, he's not wearing a brace or sleeve on his knee. If he was not feeling right or had some instability, he wouldn't be out the bare doing even the light effort he's showing. Did you watch the NBA lately, how many guys with or without repaired knees wear one if not two sleeves?

He is definitely gonna play for us next season unless he has a medical setback. He still has another 5 months to train/rehab.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#1633 » by madvillian » Thu May 16, 2024 6:11 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes. That's slow tempo, even for training. Those guys are getting paid to make him look good in videos. Is he still not playing any pickup games of 5 against 5? That's...not good.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,094

Post#1634 » by Chi town » Thu May 16, 2024 6:51 pm

madvillian wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes. That's slow tempo, even for training. Those guys are getting paid to make him look good in videos. Is he still not playing any pickup games of 5 against 5? That's...not good.

Slomo.

Not even close to even NBA summer training intensity.

He looks like he’s going warmup not to get hurt level
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#1635 » by madvillian » Thu May 16, 2024 7:33 pm

Chi town wrote:
madvillian wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Slomo.

Exactly what I was thinking. Like, remember Derrick's workouts? Or hell, even Pat's last year? Those guys were dripping sweat going 95% on each drill against guys bodying them up and fouling them.

This was like a warmup session.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#1636 » by biggestbullsfan » Thu May 16, 2024 8:54 pm

Chi town wrote:
madvillian wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Slomo.

Probably still getting his legs underneath him. He was just able to really run recently. Just steps to go.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Post#1637 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 16, 2024 10:32 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:

Just listened to the clip and I think the phrasing of the question made it confusing. He asked him "out of a 100, where are you?" which lead to Lonzo saying he's at 70% ,which makes it sound kind of meh. If it was phrased more like if 10's your best and 1's your worst where are you right now and he responded with "I'm at a 7" I think we'd take that as pretty optimistic.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#1638 » by sco » Fri May 17, 2024 12:40 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:

Just listened to the clip and I think the phrasing of the question made it confusing. He asked him "out of a 100, where are you?" which lead to Lonzo saying he's at 70% ,which makes it sound kind of meh. If it was phrased more like if 10's your best and 1's your worst where are you right now and he responded with "I'm at a 7" I think we'd take that as pretty optimistic.

I want him to come back and be healthy going forward as much as anyone. I think we're ascribing a lot of precision to an off-the-cuff response. I will add that after all of his false starts in his recovery, it is understandable that he tends to not to make overly optimistic projections.
:clap:
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#1639 » by Ice Man » Fri May 17, 2024 3:51 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:He is definitely

You lost me at your 3rd word. This is the least definite situation in NBA injury history. OK slight exaggeration but the point stands. Ain't nobody knows nothing.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#1640 » by biggestbullsfan » Fri May 17, 2024 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls