Image ImageImage Image

Rookie/Sophomore All Stars

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

guypithecus
Senior
And1: 5

Rookie/Sophomore All Stars 

Post#1 » by guypithecus » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:37 pm

Voting for the all stars got me thinking of the Rookie/Sophomore game. I wonder if any Bulls will be picked for the game this year. We didn't have anyone in 2007.

Tyrus should have a shot this year as a reserve if he keeps improving and possibly Noah or Gray. Gray has the better numbers, but Noah draws more attention.

If I were picking the team, this is how I would choose.

Sophomores
B Roy
D Gibson
R Gay
L Aldridge
A Bargnani

Reserves
R Rondo
R Brewer
T Thomas
P Milsap
J Boone

Alternates
K Azubuike
C Smith
R Hollins

Rookies
J Navarro
K Durant
J Green
J Yi
A Horford

Reserves
A Law
D Cook
J Moon
L Scola
A Gray

Alternates
M Conley
S Williams
S Hawes
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#2 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:39 pm

Noah deserves to go - he has the highest PER among rookies. Its not his fault his coaches are too dumb to use him.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#3 » by jax98 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:49 pm

A few years back I was very interested in getting as many Bulls players to the All-Star weekend as possible. But both the rookie/spohomore game and actual All-Star game have become showboating events where defense is a distant priority. I realise it's been this way for some years, but when you look back at the All-Star games in the 80's and 90's, you see much better basketball. Michael, Magic, Bird, Ewing, O'Neal, Robinson, Drexler, Olajuwon.. Man, those were some teams. These days Josh freaking Howard is making the roster. I wouldn't object to one of our players becoming an All-Star some day, but I really wouldn't care all that much anymore.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#4 » by mr.ankle » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:56 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Noah deserves to go - he has the highest PER among rookies. Its not his fault his coaches are too dumb to use him.

Per means nothing.

His stats are not good enough to go

4 points per game and 3 rebounds per game Is not that impressive
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#5 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:14 pm

mr.ankle wrote:Per means nothing.

A legion of basketball fans disagree.

His stats are not good enough to go 4 points per game and 3 rebounds per game Is not that impressive

When you are playing 12 minutes per game, what would you expect? What 12 minute production would impress you? What could he do in twelve minutes that would get you excited?

Reading is fundamental. As you would know if you had read my post, his coaches are too dumb to play him. He is outplaying Ben Wallace when he is in there. He deserves to go, but he won't because he's not getting enough time.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#6 » by mr.ankle » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:32 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When you are playing 12 minutes per game, what would you expect? What 12 minute production would impress you? What could he do in twelve minutes that would get you excited?

Reading is fundamental. As you would know if you had read my post, his coaches are too dumb to play him. He is outplaying Ben Wallace when he is in there. He deserves to go, but he won't because he's not getting enough time.

Per is for stats Geeks. Like Fantasy Basketball and Football . Another thing I find it hard to believe . He is outplaying Wallace because of good games . The rest he was a non factor or Mediocre
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#7 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:32 pm

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Per is for stats Geeks. Like Fantasy Basketball and Football . Another thing I find it hard to believe . He is outplaying Wallace because of good games . The rest he was a non factor or Mediocre

What does that even mean? As opposed to the 75% of games where Wallace is disinterested and mediocre?

Is this like BK stat keeping? Noahs good games don't count? Or injury related games?

Noah has filled the stat sheet in nearly every game he has played, regardless of the minutes he was out there.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Re: Rookie/Sophomore All Stars 

Post#8 » by suckfish » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:53 pm

guypithecus wrote:Rookies
J Navarro
L Scola

The 40 year old rookies.

Cheats.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,960

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:03 pm

Wait, so you have quoted his points and rebounds as not high enough to deserve to go, but then are complaining about someone actually bringing up a stat that translates infinitely closer to real player valuation?

If anything, you have it backwards. Fantasy basketball fans would treasure points and rebounds per game, because those are the stats that get them wins. They wouldn't care about efficiency or real player value, they'd just care about raw total numbers. PER is the exact opposite of that. It correlates better than any other single statistic to player value. Not saying it's ideal, especially in limited minutes, but it's as good an indicator as I know of.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#10 » by AZ BLAZER » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:26 pm

Bargs has no business being in the game this year IMO. Your first two alternates are more deserving this year. I have not seen Hollins, so I have no idea with him.
GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Post#11 » by GRADEN » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:32 pm

anyone else here very surprised how quickly Daquan Cook has come on???
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#12 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:38 pm

GRADEN wrote:anyone else here very surprised how quickly Daquan Cook has come on???

Not really. He's a good shooter, with athletic ability, but is raw everywhere else. I thought he should have stayed at OSU to get more of a game. He could be a beast if he developed more skills, especially when his shot is nice.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#13 » by theanimal23 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:55 pm

No Chicago Bull is making either roster. They don't play enough minutes to get the stats to be in the game.
antemiogordon
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by antemiogordon » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:41 pm

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Per means nothing.

His stats are not good enough to go

4 points per game and 3 rebounds per game Is not that impressive

At least he could go as a tourist
newskoolbulls
Banned User

Post#15 » by newskoolbulls » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:21 am

C'mon do you guys really even care if our guys are on the team? I used to watch that game but its so pathetic now you can almost guess the final score: Sophs 140 Rooks 100. No one looks to do anything in that game, the turnovers galore. Yuck. Also they better now send Tyrus to the dunk contest because he was a complete and utter disgrace last year. Jamiaro Moon 2008 slam dunk champ.

Return to Chicago Bulls