Image ImageImage Image

Sun-Times: Backcourt Needs Help

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,381

Post#21 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:16 pm

DuckIII wrote:I don't want to trade Tyrus Thomas at all. Period. If it brought back a player like Gasol, I'd learn to live with it.

If it brought back Andre Miller, I honestly don't know what I'd do as a fan.

Tyrus Thomas is the best prospect on the entire team and the only player with any chance to be a legit dominant force in this league. You just don't trade players like that for old point guards.

I'm stunned that this was ever written and published.

I agree 100% Thats really silly and stupid. Why give up your best young prospect who has the physical tools to be dominant for a guy that is much older and on his way out. And also doesnt quite help your issues. Dumb.

Tyrus honestly goes on my untouchable list save for a superstar player. All I can think of is Tyson Chandler when I see Tyrus.

Everyone would have traded Tyson for Ben Wallace 10 out of 10 times back in 05. Thats the short term fan in you. But the logical long term fan sees that Ben Wallace would be washed up in a year or two and Tyson not even going into his prime yet and be a better player.

But in terms of finances, I cannot see JR or Pax looking past anyone but Ben Wallace.

Honestly can anyone see Ben Wallace playing at even half this level and right now its meh....2 years from now? Its still unbelievable we have him 2 more years after this one. There is no way he makes it.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#22 » by AAU Teammate » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:20 pm

Of course the other view on Tyrus is that there is a very visible ceiling, one we sometimes dont let ourselves see when we just think about all that athleticism.

If we were going to be great, it sure isnt at SF. Now, as far as PF...People say a future Amare -- but he's not big enough.

If you can cash in on that unsureness over his game, you do it. Maybe not for Andre Miller... but someone out there may like what they see. And may want to dump a key (ready) piece.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,493

Post#23 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:29 pm

AAU Teammate wrote:Of course the other view on Tyrus is that there is a very visible ceiling, one we sometimes dont let ourselves see when we just think about all that athleticism.

If we were going to be great, it sure isnt at SF. Now, as far as PF...People say a future Amare -- but he's not big enough.

If you can cash in on that unsureness over his game, you do it. Maybe not for Andre Miller... but someone out there may like what they see. And may want to dump a key (ready) piece.

Tyrus raw per minute numbers are absurd and this is probably the biggest divisive issue when looking at Tyrus. If you watch him, he doesn't have a ton of skills, but he utilizes his athleticism to the fullest and is aggressive as hell.

Quite simply, if Tyrus could play 30-35 minutes at his regular rates of production, without some of the mistakes, he would be a top 50 player in the NBA. Maybe top 30, and that's regardless of position or development of any additional skill. I'm not sure I can say that about anyone else on the team.

Can he do that? I don't know, but I would sure like to find out before he is dumped for middling vet.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#24 » by Shill » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:32 pm

AAU Teammate wrote:but someone out there may like what they see. And may want to dump a key (ready) piece.

A key piece for what?

I think we need to get it out of our mind that we're even COSE to contending. We're not.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#25 » by eierluke » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:34 am

"I think we need to get it out of our mind that we're even COSE to contending. We're not."

You`re absolutely right here Shill4...

that is the main point, our (erspecially Paxsons) thoughts should circle around this fact.
We need to rebuild / reload.
Considering that A.Stoudamire and A.Bynum were late lotto picks and frontcourt player like G.Arenas, T.Parker, K.Martin and J.Howard late 1st rd picks (Arenas even 2nd) tells me that even in a time where high school games are available on television there still are chances to get a diamond in the rough.

We need to acqire a high lotto pick for a frontcourt player and we need to install a professional draft department in our organisation in order to systematically find such a diamond in the rough frontcourt player.
But no way we should trade young talented players for veterans who will make us a .50 team for just another 2 years before declining.
sven petersson
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#26 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:45 pm

Maggette or Mike Miller...
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
newskoolbulls
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by newskoolbulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:04 pm

I would deal Tyrus for Miller if we get that rookie i forget his name, not Jason Smith but their first rounder.

Miller would be our pg, Kirk our 2, and BG could permantley become out 6th man.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#28 » by BULLHITTER » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:11 pm

the 76'ers don't have anyone i'd move for tyrus thomas.

i do think the bulls could benefit from a top-tier pg, though; the bigs would instantly look more credible. see TC conjoined with chris paul.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#29 » by Shill » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:18 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:I would deal Tyrus for Miller if we get that rookie i forget his name, not Jason Smith but their first rounder.

Why do you hate the Bulls so much?
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#30 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:21 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:I would deal Tyrus for Miller if we get that rookie i forget his name, not Jason Smith but their first rounder.

Thaddeus Young.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#31 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:22 pm

Uh. No.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,920

Post#32 » by DuckIII » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:24 pm

Getting a third backup small forward is the deal-breaker for you in determining whether or not to trade Tyrus Thomas?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
antemiogordon
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by antemiogordon » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:36 pm

Hard facts but also reality are:

1. Nobody would accept overvalued players like some in Bulls' roster.

2. The rest of the league aren't stupid (honorable mention to Isiah in NYC).

3. There's no magic move that would allow us to become the next dinasty team.

4. Draft + small moves + patiente could work.
topper09
Analyst

Post#34 » by topper09 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:09 am

Delonte West and Damien Wilkins are buried in the dog house in Seattle and they come at a very cheap price.

I love Delonte West's game. Very gritty defensive player with a great offensive savey game.

Damien Wilkins could also play SG at 6'6.

These guys get paid peanuts and they're very good role players. Paxson is a moron. I keep sayin the same things to myself.

Trade away garbage one year expiring players like Griffin and Crap-yapa and get Demien Wilkins or Delonte West to bolster your backcourt.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#35 » by cool007 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:12 am

bulls6 wrote:For Kidd: Wallace & Duhon work easily. There also is that Wallace & Hinrich for Kidd & Collins deal that McGraw proposed.
Philly has Miller & Ollie to deal. We can easily work out a trade for either. Duhon = Ollie straight up.

Hey, that was me who proposed that deal.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#36 » by girlygirl » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:31 am

Nets have started to win now (have won their last 5 games). So is Kidd even still on the trading block?
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#37 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:45 am

I believe I was one of the first on this board as of recent to suggest getting Miller. But not with Thomas. I was thinking of sending them Du and Joe Smith. Clears the front court and gives us and upgrade in the backcourt.

The issue is, unless Philly gets a nice young talent, they will aim to get only expirings back, and Joe Smith has another year. Jason Williams may be an expiring this year and a better deal for Philly.
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#38 » by fudgie » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:56 am

I agreed with everything written in that article until he got to the Miller for Tyrus trade.

That trade is brutal and extremely short sighted. No way do I trade Tyrus for a vet who won't make us title contenders and will be declining soon. Tyrus is only available in a consolidation trade.
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.

Return to Chicago Bulls