Image ImageImage Image

Cassell Would Be Our Best Post Player

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Cassell Would Be Our Best Post Player 

Post#1 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:12 am

Chris Duhon, Viktory Khryapa, and a 2nd round pick

Benefits for Clippers: Get a young healthy point guard, and two expiring contracts. Khryapa could be worth a look as well. Duhon could fit a rebuilding effort if Mags and Brand end up leaving. He'd also have interest as a free-agent and could be a guy who could get you a sign and trade to a contender like the Spurs.

For the Bulls: Cassell becomes their best post player (yes it's that sad), is an imediate upgrade over Duhon, gives them a true leader, second clutch player to Gordon, and replaces Boylan next year :)

Cassell may be slow and is probably a poor defender at this point, but so what? He'd help our Gordon-less lineup offensively, and would be a vocal leader. I really like Duhon, but having such huge shooting slumps two seasons in a row is unacceptable.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
tclg
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#2 » by tclg » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:26 am

I like this trade in the short term maybe we can get a second round pick out of them?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#3 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:33 am

I think Cassell wants to go to Boston, and I think Boston giving up Pruitt, T. Allen, and Scalabrine, with 3 million dollars pinned to his lapel, will do it.

But of course I'd love to see Cassell here for a year. He's a quality backup PG. Expirings and a 2nd rounder is a small price to pay.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#4 » by Rerisen » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:20 am

Even 3 years ago, this might be feasible. But he's 37 years old! It wouldn't take much for me to wave goodbye to Duhon, but Sam would only be like a answer for the rest of the season, which is not really worth doing. He is already breaking down and plays no defense.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:40 am

Rerisen wrote:Even 3 years ago, this might be feasible. But he's 37 years old! It wouldn't take much for me to wave goodbye to Duhon, but Sam would only be like a answer for the rest of the season, which is not really worth doing. He is already breaking down and plays no defense.

Its not worth doing...for what? VK and Duhon? Or do you lament the mid 2nd rounder? We can resign Duhon, if we really like him, since he's a UFA anyway.
YellowHammer
Junior
And1: 2

Post#6 » by YellowHammer » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:47 am

FWIW, Sam originally committed to DePaul coming out of HS (grade problems caused him to go to JUCO instead), so methinks he must have some affinity for Chicago :-?
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#7 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:53 am

Rerisen wrote:Even 3 years ago, this might be feasible. But he's 37 years old! It wouldn't take much for me to wave goodbye to Duhon, but Sam would only be like a answer for the rest of the season, which is not really worth doing. He is already breaking down and plays no defense.

I don't know about that. Three years ago Sam was averagin 17 and leading the Clips to the playoffs.

Still, I'd do it. He's better than Duhon and is averaging 12, 4, and 3 in only 24 a game. He claims he wants to play another year, so it could be a two year rental. I'm mostly interested in his leadership and future coaching potential. Still he hads a ton to the table and would be a valuable piece in our second half playoff run.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Cassell Would Be Our Best Post Player 

Post#8 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:11 pm

he's old but Sam knows how to take it to the hole and draw the foul, esp late in the game. that's the kind of player the Bulls really need.
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#9 » by #1TKfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:53 pm

id do it just for sam cassell bobblehead night alone.

richard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by richard » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:56 pm

cassell is actually 38 years old. and if the clippers don't turn it around, he would want to be dealt to a contender, not the bulls.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#11 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:21 pm

He'd probably want to go to a legit contender.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#12 » by BULLHITTER » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:05 pm

He'd probably want to go to a legit contender.

lord knows, his ancient arse wouldn't make the bulls one...... :roll:
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#13 » by Ben » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:08 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:I think Cassell wants to go to Boston, and I think Boston giving up Pruitt, T. Allen, and Scalabrine, with 3 million dollars pinned to his lapel, will do it.

Cassell to Boston seems like a natural move. I don't know about the particulars-- taking on Scalabrine seems like a big no-no-- but the Celts could probably make it work. A bench of Cassell, Posey and House, could be a HUGE factor in any championship run. Especially b/c I don't have a lot of faith in Ray Allen right now.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:22 pm

Ben B. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Cassell to Boston seems like a natural move. I don't know about the particulars-- taking on Scalabrine seems like a big no-no-- but the Celts could probably make it work. A bench of Cassell, Posey and House, could be a HUGE factor in any championship run. Especially b/c I don't have a lot of faith in Ray Allen right now.

Scalabrine has got to be a big stumbling block. But considering that if they do this trade now, they'd save 1 mill in salary this year, get another 3 million to pay Scal next year, they'd end up paying ~3.5 for the restricted agent rights of T. Allen, and a nice young player in Gabe Pruitt.

I dunno how to use trade exceptions, or I'd be looking at 3-way-deals with GSW or Seattle.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,103

Re: Cassell Would Be Our Best Post Player 

Post#15 » by Wingy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:29 am

bullzman23 wrote:For the Bulls: Cassell becomes their best post player (yes it's that sad), is an imediate upgrade over Duhon, gives them a true leader, second clutch player to Gordon, and replaces Boylan next year :)

:evil: Now that just makes me mad. Bleep you bullzman...for speaking the truth. :D

...and with the Celts being the team I follow 2nd most and living within their broadcast market...they're my 2nd fave team by default. I wouldn't want to give up Tony Allen in a Cassell deal. I know he's coming off injury, but I like the kid.

They should try to package Big Baby/others for a solid player...sell high before he turns into Sweetney. Maybe Haslem could be pried away with Miami's terrible season, or perhaps one of Seattle PG's who will actually contribute for the duration of the KG/Pierce/Ray trio.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 468

Post#16 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:47 pm

for a short term rental i'd love cassell. he's always been one of my favorite players and more than his post play..i really think his clutch play would be his best asset. He's got nerves of steel and given our teams utter lack of execution at the end of close games i'd love to have him as an option. We could then do the offense defense substitution game with him and hinrich at the end of games.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac

Return to Chicago Bulls