Image ImageImage Image

Wallace is being showcased, no other possibilities

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Addicted123
Starter
And1: 22

Post#21 » by Addicted123 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:40 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's really short-sighted. By next season's deadline he'll be a contract that most teams will be willing to take on. By the year after that, he'll be a desirable trade piece. We better have more patience than that otherwise we'll shoot ourselves in the foot.

It is not short-sighted. PJ Brown's contract was just as desirable of a trade piece and what did the Bulls get for it? If you think Wallace's contract will be moved for another long, big contract, then you obviously do not understand the cheapness of Rein$dorf and company. Wallace's contract will simply expire.

It is better to get Noah and Gray more minutes now then in 2 years.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#22 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:49 am

Addicted123 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is not short-sighted. PJ Brown's contract was just as desirable of a trade piece and what did the Bulls get for it? If you think Wallace's contract will be moved for another long, big contract, then you obviously do not understand the cheapness of Rein$dorf and company. Wallace's contract will simply expire.

It is better to get Noah and Gray more minutes now then in 2 years.

Why are you speaking as if that's an absolute? One thing that is absolute is that keeping Wallace's contract gives us more flexibility than your suggestion does. Whether or not we chose to do anything with it remains to be seen.

We may not have gotten anything done with PJ's contract, but we did offer it for Marcus Camby. So at least there is some evidence that an attempt to trade was at least made.

And we can simply bench Wallace if/when we decide that Gray and Noah should play more. Why pay him to go home?
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#23 » by BULLHITTER » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:23 am

Why pay him to go home?

because fans always allow their emotions to dictate what they'll say and how they'd operate if it was "their" money.

truth is, if was their money, they'd have just as difficult a time rationalizing and selling the stockholders on why they just 'let go' of a 15 million dollar asset. therefore, they'd likely keep him as well.

fortunately, fans aren't often in the position of businessmen.

like it or not, wallace, until traded or until his contract becomes desireable as an expiring one, stays, gets minutes and does whatever little (or lot) he can while the young players are groomed and earn minutes. it's tough but that's the way the business of basketball works sometimes.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#24 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:40 am

I dont think Bulls management has any intention of trading Ben Wallace now.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
McBulls
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#25 » by McBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:26 am

bulls6 wrote:I dont think Bulls management has any intention of trading Ben Wallace now.
Why not? The young bigs need playing time, and this team is going nowhere as presently constituted.

The Bulls should :
1) trade Wallace if they can get something of reasonable value in return. OR, if that's not possible
2) Play him 20 mpg or so. OR, if that doesn't work well
3) Suck it up and release him.
Addicted123
Starter
And1: 22

Post#26 » by Addicted123 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:41 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why are you speaking as if that's an absolute?

I have decades worth of cheapness on my side. It will take a miracle scenerio for the perfect player(s) to come along for the Bulls to take on $15M replacement salary for years and years when Wallace's contract could be expired and cleaned off the books. I don't see it happenning.

But, yes, I suppose keeping him keeps that dream alive. Many rosy dreams were fueled by PJ's contract and Wallace's will conjure up even sweeter dreams.

I view Wallace as a brooder and team killer and would rather have him off the team than keeping him in the hopes Rein$dorf will have a complete change of philosophy and take on extra salary for Wallace's expiring deal.

I hope Wallace is being shopped.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:15 am

McBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why not? The young bigs need playing time, and this team is going nowhere as presently constituted.

The Bulls should :
1) trade Wallace if they can get something of reasonable value in return. OR, if that's not possible
2) Play him 20 mpg or so. OR, if that doesn't work well
3) Suck it up and release him.

I agree that they SHOULD trade him. If fact, he's the only Bull that I absolutely, positively WANT to be traded.

Yet, I dont see it happening. There is only a limited number of teams interested - and those teams may only be willing to give us salaries back that are worse than Wallace's.

Best trade is doug's Kwame & Vlad Rad for Ben - but it is unclear if the Lakers will do it. There is still hope....
- -- Chinese proverb
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,871

Post#28 » by DuckIII » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:30 pm

I think the Bulls would trade Wallace if given a reasonable opportunity to do so. But are they showcasing him for the express purpose of drumming up trade value? I say no.

I think its a lot more simple than that. Here is my theory.

(1) Ben Wallace was a big part of Skiles being fired.

(2) Paxson and Boylan then go to Wallace (and perhaps others) and say, "Okay, he's fired. Its on you guys to produce and show us where the problem really was or consider yourself on the block and we won't give a damn about the quality of the team we trade you to."

(3) Wallace starts producing.

(4) Boylan keeps playing him because he's producing.

End theory.

The only other thing I'll add is that I expect Wallace's minutes to take a small dip when the Bulls get more comfortably situated in the playoff picture.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Bullsville » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:34 pm

Addicted123 wrote:I have decades worth of cheapness on my side. It will take a miracle scenerio for the perfect player(s) to come along for the Bulls to take on $15M replacement salary for years and years when Wallace's contract could be expired and cleaned off the books. I don't see it happenning.

Years and years? If the Bulls were to trade Wallace, the player they get in return would have an absolute maximum of 3 more years on their contract than Ben has.

But if 3 years is "years and years", so be it. :dontknow:

And the Bulls have already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will pay huge money for a championship team- why should they pay the Luxury Tax for a team that can't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs?
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#30 » by realfung » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:01 pm

Pistons will love to have him back.....but his contract is.......
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#31 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:12 pm

Ben Wallace is effectively being showcased, but not on purpose.

Hopefully this recent good play by Wallace (coupled by good play by Noah, Gray and Tyrus in limited action) is enough to draw a couple possible calls, possibly leading Pax to capitalize on his inflated value and trade Wallace for a little cap relief. One thing is for sure, it's just a matter of time before Wallace starts settling back into the "sometimes disinterested" form of himself and his value will be back in doldrums.

But, Cliff Levingston won't hold his breath. Jerry would probably rather keep Wallace and keep trying to make money off his name recognition to the casual fan. It also appears as though the coaching staff thinks Big Ben is the best big man they've got, which couldn't be further from the truth.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,196

Post#32 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:03 am

It's funny and sad how BW's FT% is higher than his FG%.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:52 am

Here's a trade that works & has not been proposed yet:

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to Chicago and L.A. Lakers being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Chicago and L.A. Lakers had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #4394681

Chicago Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +8.1 ppg, +0.5 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

Incoming Players
Kwame Brown
6-11 PF / C from Glynn Academy (HS)
4.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 19.4 minutes
Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
14.1 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.4 apg in 36.3 minutes

Outgoing Players
Tyrus Thomas
6-8 PF from LSU
6.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 16.8 minutes
Ben Wallace
6-9 C from Virginia Union
4.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 32.9 minutes

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -8.1 ppg, -0.5 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Incoming Players
Tyrus Thomas
6-8 PF from LSU
6.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 16.8 minutes
Ben Wallace
6-9 C from Virginia Union
4.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.0 apg in 32.9 minutes

Outgoing Players
Kwame Brown
6-11 PF / C from Glynn Academy (HS)
4.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 19.4 minutes
Lamar Odom
6-10 SF from Rhode Island
14.1 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.4 apg in 36.3 minutes

Bulls save a lot of salary - and LA can make a serious playoff run.

If Phil cant handle BW, no one can
- -- Chinese proverb
totodeltigre
Junior
And1: 0

Post#34 » by totodeltigre » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:34 pm

Change in Team Outlook: +1.6 ppg, -4.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Marcus Banks
6-2 PG from UNLV
6.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 12.6 minutes
Leandro Barbosa
6-3 PG from Brazil (Foreign)
17.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.8 apg in 30.1 minutes
Shawn Marion
6-7 SF from UNLV
16.2 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.1 apg in 36.7 minutes
Outgoing Players
Ben Gordon