Image ImageImage Image

Sef-a-LO-shaaaaaa

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus

Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#41 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:21 pm

cark wrote:You're right, Duck. Didn't mean to scare you, Magilla. I just hate the green font. It ruins everything.

-= original quote snipped =-

Seriously. If they're already wasted minutes, why not replace old crap with new crap? Give Thabo a chance. Unless he starts scoring own-goals, he can't be much worse.

lol...

Give Duhon some time - he'll be knockin in our own basket before you know it.

And I am so happy that my sig is relevant again...
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#42 » by girlygirl » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:54 pm

I have a feeling that it will take a few more decent performances off the bench by Thabo -- as well as Duhon continuing to miss shots left and right -- before they move Thabo into the lineup. I do think however, that Boylan wants to keep BG as the 6th man, especially since he's thriving in the role, so if he DOES bench Duhon, it would be for Thabo, rather than going back to the Gordon/Hinrich set (although no matter who starts, BG and Kirk are still going to get the majority of the minutes in every game -- barring a trade -- as long as they stay out of foul trouble and stay healthy).

I do worry about Thabo's ability to play SG. He really seems more like a SF. Still, that's something the Bulls need to figure out. If he CAN'T play the 2-guard spot, then they will have to trade or draft for a big guard who can do so...
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#43 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:13 am

MGB8 wrote:I think that John Salmons is exactly the reason why you don't cut bait with Thabo just quite yet. Salmons sucked for years in Philly. He has a similar skillset to Thabo. He got a little better each year, and now, in the last two years, he's been a consistently solid player. Thabo looks to be on that kind of path.

John Salmons didn't do a damn thing until last season, when he was about 27. I think I'd rather cut Thabo loose than have to wait another 3-4 years just for him to become a decent backup.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,108

Post#44 » by Wingy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:31 am

tong po wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
John Salmons didn't do a damn thing until last season, when he was about 27. I think I'd rather cut Thabo loose than have to wait another 3-4 years just for him to become a decent backup.

Sounds like a great way to get a decent player on a good contract. I'm willing to wait.
SensiBull
Starter
And1: 326

Post#45 » by SensiBull » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:52 am

DuckIII wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I absolutely agree. Hence my repetitious posts about the desirability of packaging Nocioni and Duhon for a reserve 2/3 by the trade deadline even if it means "losing" the trade.

I totally agree with what the package should be. I also agree with the effect that it would have on minutes for Thabo and Tyrus, but package Noc and Du for a 2/3?

Won't we just have to give that player some of Thabo's minutes, obtained at the cost of Nocioni and Duhon?

That's out of the frying pan and into the fire, to me.

I think we need a 1/2, not a 2/3, and that the 1/2 has to be at least 6'5" and have some range on his shot, even if that means including Ben Wallace in the package to get someone really worth it.

I keep coming back to John Salmons. I know he's old, but he's meant to be the third guard in a three guard rotation, not a building block for the future of the franchise. We're not replacing Gordon or Hinrich. We're replacing Duhon.
http://www.un.org/en/peace/

"While people are saying, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them ..., and they will not escape." - 1 Thess 5:2-3
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,978

Post#46 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:48 pm

I think we need a 1/2, not a 2/3, and that the 1/2 has to be at least 6'5" and have some range on his shot, even if that means including Ben Wallace in the package to get someone really worth it.

How many 6'5 or taller 1/2s are in the NBA with good shooting range?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#47 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:49 pm

SensiBull wrote:I think we need a 1/2, not a 2/3, and that the 1/2 has to be at least 6'5" and have some range on his shot

You just described the Holy frickin Grail of the NBA. If one of these existed, they would be on a max contract right now. The endless search for one of these is how Shaun Livingston ended up going ahead of Iguodala and Deng. It's how Marko Jaric got $38million. It's why Paxson drafted Thabo in the first place. In the entire history of the NBA, there have been approximately two of these. One was named Oscar, the other Anfernee.

SensiBull wrote:I keep coming back to John Salmons. I know he's old, but he's meant to be the third guard in a three guard rotation, not a building block for the future of the franchise. We're not replacing Gordon or Hinrich. We're replacing Duhon.

We need higher standards than this. Just getting a shooting guard equivalent of Duhon is not going to help much. Now I know what you're gonna say: "Hey Tongmaster Funk, Michael Finley and Eddie Jones are a combined 285 years old!" I'm well aware of that, but this team does not have the roster those teams do. This team is not good enough to just need some hole filling vet that doesn't make a lot of mistakes, otherwise Adrian Griffin would play a lot more (like he did in Dallas). This team is still crappy enough to need another quality starter (or three).

And you guys keep bringing up John Salmons, but the main reason why John Salmons is playing better than he's ever played (which is not saying much) is because he's playing more like an outright shooting guard than he ever has before. It just took him longer than Larry Hughes or Jamal Crawford to get around to it.

Return to Chicago Bulls