Image ImageImage Image

The Latest Ask Sam

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus

TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

The Latest Ask Sam 

Post#1 » by TB#1 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:14 pm

A few samplings:

The Complete Ask Sam Experience

Sam Smith's NBA mailbag
The Tribune's pro basketball reporter answers reader questions

January 7, 2008, 10:34 PM CST

Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry. All have a low-post presence, and their teams stink! You and all the "experts" keep talking about the Bulls needing that presence. We had Curry, and guess what! We've gone further in the playoffs without him. After we get that post presence, next you'll say we need a big who can hit that midrange jumper to free up the post guy. Or we'll trade our outside threat for the post guy, and then you'll say we need someone to hit the outside shot. Come on, Sam, give us some realistic trade scenarios. Stop it with the "post presence" stuff! I'm writing you this message and I've worked up more sweat than Tyrus has in the last two weeks! --Victor Devaldivielso, Aurora

That's the passion the Bulls need. I'm guessing you're short and fed up. I'm still for Gasol, though I hear the Grizzlies have talked with a number of teams. The hangup with the Bulls appears to be the Grizzlies' interest in Andres Nocioni. I'm not fully sure why, probably less for Nocioni's ability than for what he does for them. But with his base-year status, it may be too difficult to find the right pieces for a deal. I didn't want Randolph or Curry but believe the Bulls could use someone on the inside to at least change the pace of the jump-shooting game. Not to spend all game throwing it in and standing around, but for a change of pace in the game. When you were a kid, didn't they always pick the big guy first in the playground games? There's a reason.

If the best move for the Bulls was to acquire Pau Gasol, which price would the Grizzlies ask? If you were Memphis' GM, what would you ask for in return? --Nicolas, Switzerland

The assumption is the Bulls won't include Deng, whom they wouldn't put in a deal last year. Memphis probably wouldn't want Hinrich, because they have point guards. And they might not want Gordon, because he's up for a contract and they'd have to pay him. So I'd probably ask for some combination of Noah, whom they liked in the draft before taking Conley, Sefolosha, Duhon, Nocioni and a No. 1 pick, though I'm not sure it's doable. If I were Memphis, I'd probably want them to take a bad contract off my hands, which make it even harder to match salaries.

I like the way Aaron Gray gives the Bulls a new dimension on offense, but why is it that no one comments on how often he gets beat by his man back on defense? I have seen multiple plays this season where after taking a shot, he jogs back while his man sprints down, forcing a switch and an open shot for another player or a layup for his man. Isn't this the same type of thing the coaches complain publicly about with Tyrus Thomas? Why does Gray get off the hook for his defensive lapses and lack of conditioning? --Stephen Noh, Wilmette

Because he is sprinting. That's the problem with Gray. The fastest he runs, and he does really try, looks like everyone else's jog. He's in shape. Thomas could do it, but he just doesn't always choose to. That's what upsets coaches.

What happened to Ben Gordon's knack for hitting game-winning shots? It's what made him a (quasi) star his rookie year. It seems as a cerebral player he has lost his edge, even before his contract issues. --Dan Smilow, Tempe, Ariz.

The first time, you catch people by surprise. After that, unless they're stupid, they pay attention and adjust. Teams know it's more difficult for Ben when he has to put the ball on the floor or make a move. He's really better suited to play like Richard Hamilton coming off screens and rising quickly, though he's about 6 inches shorter. It was amazing he hit so many as a rookie. He shouldn't be judged against that. It's usually better to be good later than sooner. Ben is finding that out.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#2 » by molepharmer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:52 pm

Surprised you didn't post this one.....
Sam's mailbag wrote:I was appalled at Boylan's play-calling at the end of the Orlando game. They kept having Wallace run pick-and-rolls with Gordon. Gordon is small and not a good passer, and Wallace is no threat rolling down the lane, so all they accomplished was leaving Gordan double-teamed by one of the league's biggest and best defenders. I was surprised to see a player raving about Boylan's X's-and-O's skills in the paper when Boylan had just killed their chances for a big win with some very bad play-calling. --Ron Fisher, Sugar Grove, Ill.

I see it as more than one game. Boylan shouldn't have to be doing it, but he's trying to win back Wallace. Yes, $15 million a year should be enough, but Wallace seems to have gotten his feelings hurt, and Boylan is putting Ben out late in games and involving him in offensive plays to try to wake him up. It may pay off in the long run. It's too bad he has to do it that way. Larry Brown got the most out of Wallace by always drawing up a few plays for Wallace. He couldn't complete them, but he liked to be involved. Flip Saunders told Ben to get out of the way since he couldn't shoot, dribble, etc. If Boylan pulls it off, he may get to keep the job.

So, Sam suggests the same thing many of us have been, that the play is dumb but that it's run to keep BW happy.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#3 » by coldfish » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:58 pm

Good find molepharmer. As I said somewhere else, a lot of decisions are not based purely on what is best for the team right now. As in anything, politics plays a factor.

Its really too bad that you have a guy that you have to stroke this hard to get him to play. You would think he would grow up. If he would realize his own limitations, he could help the team better.
richard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by richard » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:13 pm

After watching fairly impressive YouTube footage of Scottie Pippen playing in Finland, I must ask: Would Pippen still be an upgrade over Chris Duhon, and would Paxson ever consider it?

Been there, paid for that, and I think they regret it as it didn't work four years ago.

haha, nice one, bullzman.
SuperUberHomerP
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by SuperUberHomerP » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:47 pm

Gotten his feelings hurt? Are you kidding me? IF this stuff about Wallace is true, then basically we have to sometimes waste possessions, just so he feels "loved" on offense? Is he aware of his abilities as a player? Would he rather he be allowed to do things he shouldn't be and have the team worse off because of it, instead of staying within himself and having the team be more successful? It's one thing to think that you're being ignored on offense and that your inclusion in it could help the team, but it's a completely different thing if you just want to "get yours" (whatever the hell "getting yours" would be for someone like Wallace) and are willing to put the team second to do it. I sure hope it's the former...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,978

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm still for Gasol, though I hear the Grizzlies have talked with a number of teams. The hangup with the Bulls appears to be the Grizzlies' interest in Andres Nocioni.

If this is true, fire Paxson.

Nocioni + Tyrus or Noah + filler for Gasol would be almost the perfect trade for the Bulls.

If it's Nocioni + Deng + Gordon or something dumb like that then sure, but if we're actually hung up on Nocioni that's ridiculous.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,325

Post#7 » by AirP. » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:23 pm

Wallace is just like nearly every other basketball player out there, they want to feel like part of the team and if they don't they can and usually do lose focus.

Yes Wallace is horrible at offense, he routinely screws up bunnies but if you want him to keep focus, you have to give him the ball. I won't run pick and rolls with him, I would just put him in the low post, give him the ball and try to use the one of 2 offensive abilities that he doesn't suck at... passing... the other, setting picks.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#8 » by coldfish » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
I'm still for Gasol, though I hear the Grizzlies have talked with a number of teams. The hangup with the Bulls appears to be the Grizzlies' interest in Andres Nocioni.

If this is true, fire Paxson.

Nocioni + Tyrus or Noah + filler for Gasol would be almost the perfect trade for the Bulls.

If it's Nocioni + Deng + Gordon or something dumb like that then sure, but if we're actually hung up on Nocioni that's ridiculous.

When in doubt, assume that its about the money. Its the factor that dominates most trade talks with Chicago but won't get much run in the media. I bet that Memphis wants to shed salary and Chicago won't take it on.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#9 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:25 pm

before that last play against Sacremento i paused the TIVO and said

Gordon is going to handle the ball at the top of the key and the only question is will he drive and pull up for a jumper OR will he be dumb and try to take it to the hole since is last 2 game winnign jumpers bricked?

the inside pass to Wallace cought me completely off guard.

i can think of a handful of close games the Bulls could have won the last 2 years if Skiles had called that play.

you have to have this play in your book if you plan to win close NBA games. tie games with > 1min to play are decided at the line the way the game is ref'd int he NBA today.

this was my favorite Bulls game of the year - they got to the FT line 36 times and that is all i have been screaming ofr all year. get to the FT line!

it was the first time all year i head "Hit the Road Jack" all year when Mikki Moore fouled out.

when the Bulls won 6 titles that song seemed like it was on repeat many nights.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#10 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:26 pm

I think he may have meant that Nocioni may be a hangup due to his BYC status and matching salaries. At least I hope that
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#11 » by bullzman23 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:54 pm

richard wrote:
After watching fairly impressive YouTube footage of Scottie Pippen playing in Finland, I must ask: Would Pippen still be an upgrade over Chris Duhon, and would Paxson ever consider it?

Been there, paid for that, and I think they regret it as it didn't work four years ago.

haha, nice one, bullzman.

:)
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com

Return to Chicago Bulls