Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#101 » by Jvaughn » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:18 pm

Interesting video from Adam Spinella regarding Dalen Terry's shooting.

spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#102 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:37 pm

I don't think the question is whether or not Terry is a NBA level player. He is on potential alone.
The question is can he form himself into a consistent player with a clear role.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,278

Post#103 » by TheJordanRule » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:31 pm

We give this kid 5.6 minutes per game and then expect the board to make an assessment on his current abilities? You serious?
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,556

Post#104 » by PaKii94 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:55 pm

He was obviously playing way above his role. His ceiling is guard/wing version of dreymond green. Connector piece who can make some passes, hit open shot, play defense and provide energy. He's very far from it right now but that's the ceiling. Summer league he was put in like a Luka heliocentric role which is not a good role with his non existent scoring abilities
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Post#105 » by BullChit » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:16 am

PaKii94 wrote:He was obviously playing way above his role. His ceiling is guard/wing version of dreymond green. Connector piece who can make some passes, hit open shot, play defense and provide energy. He's very far from it right now but that's the ceiling. Summer league he was put in like a Luka heliocentric role which is not a good role with his non existent scoring abilities

100%

He was that on role on the WCB last year and his stats show that out. He isn't a ball dominant star and shouldn't be used as one.

I think his role coming off the bench at the moment should be a wing version of what Ayo was in his rookie season. Get out there and be a disruptive ball of energy that creates havoc and fast break opportunities.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#106 » by PaKii94 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:12 am

BullChit wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:He was obviously playing way above his role. His ceiling is guard/wing version of dreymond green. Connector piece who can make some passes, hit open shot, play defense and provide energy. He's very far from it right now but that's the ceiling. Summer league he was put in like a Luka heliocentric role which is not a good role with his non existent scoring abilities

100%

He was that on role on the WCB last year and his stats show that out. He isn't a ball dominant star and shouldn't be used as one.

I think his role coming off the bench at the moment should be a wing version of what Ayo was in his rookie season. Get out there and be a disruptive ball of energy that creates havoc and fast break opportunities.

Yup exactly. Those are the kind of players you need as quality bench role players. Terry and Ayo are similar molds and all they need is a semi consistent 3pt shot to be very valuable.

The people disappointed by Terry's play in the summer league have wrong expectations for him. He's never going to be a star and it's unfair to try to judge him like that.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#107 » by Bandit King » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:01 pm

He can battle calik for g league mvp
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,373

Post#108 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:37 pm

I thought this thread needed another torch.

I was interested in Dalen Terry as a prospect when I first saw him. I always give the front office the benefit of the doubt when we draft players.

Dalen showed some flashes last year when he played. It was still rather "erratic" and unpolished but I thought something could be there. At least defensively.

This offseason up to now, has been nothing short of an absolute train wreck.

In the summer where just about anyone that has talent can dominate, he was terrible.
In the preseason where players arent even trying hard, he looks even worse.

He looks like completely lost out there. Its like moving a million miles and hour without a purpose. He has no reliable skill on offense. The only thing going for him, is he can be a pesky defender. That's his biggest upside right now.

Ive been saying all offseason that he looks like 2 years away. At this rate, he may not make it 2 years. I hope I am wrong, but Dalen Terry at the moment is cringeworthy when you watch him on the court.
The Cult of Personality
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,693

Post#109 » by sco » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:45 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I thought this thread needed another torch.

I was interested in Dalen Terry as a prospect when I first saw him. I always give the front office the benefit of the doubt when we draft players.

Dalen showed some flashes last year when he played. It was still rather "erratic" and unpolished but I thought something could be there. At least defensively.

In the summer where just about anyone that has talent can dominate, he was terrible.

He looks like completely lost out there. Its like moving a million miles and hour without a purpose. He has no reliable skill on offense. The only thing going for him, is he can be a pesky defender. That's his biggest upside right now.

Ive been saying all offseason that he looks like 2 years away. At this rate, he may not make it 2 years. I hope I am wrong, but Dalen Terry at the moment is cringeworthy when you watch him on the court.

It would be great if we could channel his aggressiveness into Pat. Short of that, he should be given the PG spot in the g-league to work on his skills. The combination of aggressive with lacking NBA level passing and shooting skills is a giant negative. The best move is to either use him as an expiring in a deadline deal or just let him expire after this season (which is guaranteed).
:clap:
rosenthall
Senior
And1: 289

Post#110 » by rosenthall » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:05 pm

I'm a little more optimistic than you. I agree that he's far away from being in the rotation right now, but his big problem is that he can't shoot and tries to do too much. Both of those things can be fixed. Even with his on-ball awfulness, he still generates a healthy amount of rebounds, assists, steals and blocks, which is a good indicator.

I actually kinda wonder if the g-league would be bad for him because it'd be casting him into a role that he won't play in the NBA. He really needs to play off a primary ball handler to be effective and could see him benefitting from playing in lineups where he gets to play off of more experienced players.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#111 » by MrSparkle » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:39 pm

Terry's a deep project. No trade value besides as "FRP prospect" padding in a big trade. There are no minutes available for him; Phillips probably takes whatever 5 minutes (every 5th game) will be available. He's gotten much stronger, but he's still on the weak side of NBA forwards.

If he adds another 10 pounds and improves shooting and finishing by 2025, you have a good player. Otherwise, nothing really matters. He's worse than the FO hoped; otherwise they wouldn't have spent an 18th pick on a prospect who needs atleast 2 seasons to develop into a defensive bench player. Kessler and Branham (picked right after him) perform and project better ATM.

But also, you can afford to wait on this guy. There's just no alternative. I'd much sooner drop Carlik.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#112 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:02 pm

Dalen Terry is an awful player. Not composed, no awareness, no real skill set that translates to a player who will make it in the NBA.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,421

Post#113 » by pipfan » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:23 pm

I'm often wrong about the draft, but I was excited about the 22 one, because I thought Eason or maybe MWilliams would fall to us. Then, I liked Kessler and Jovic.

When they picked Terry, I had NO idea who he was-none. When I watched his highlights I was not impressed. How could they have messed up a pick THIS badly?? In all the mocks I saw, no one had him as a FRP, and especially not at #18
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,391

Post#114 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:57 pm

He does a lot of the other things well rebounding and deflections.

The primary skills he needs to improve are shooting and ball handling. It might take him a long time.

I think we wanted Eason but he got picked right before us. I just hope Terry has amazing work ethic it's probably gonna take him 2 years to become a rotational player.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#115 » by Peelboy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:32 pm

I think this is the wrong question. Maybe he's a fringe rotation guy. But he's a complete waste of the #18 pick. If he was a 2d round pick, fine. He's not as useful as Tony Snell or Doug McDermott. At this point, he's less useful than Julian Phillips, who can at least shoot and attack while also remaining active defensively.

He needs ANOTHER season in the G league to see if he can even be a fringe rotation guy. I know the hit rate in the draft is low but this guy is Marquis Teague level bad.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#116 » by Dan Z » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:23 pm

In the draft who did you want the Bulls to select? Who should they have picked over him? Obviously Kessler, but who else?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2022.html

I'm not saying this to defend him. I generally agree with you. He hasn't shown much and probably won't get much playing time in the NBA this season.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#117 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:38 pm

Should have spent more time in the G league last year, and it's where he needs to be this upcoming season. He performed well there fwiw.

I get the idea of what they likely saw in Terry to draft him(hope he develops as a shooter to be 'Zo 2.0'), but yea not looking good obviously.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,958

Post#118 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:34 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Yup exactly. Those are the kind of players you need as quality bench role players. Terry and Ayo are similar molds and all they need is a semi consistent 3pt shot to be very valuable.

The people disappointed by Terry's play in the summer league have wrong expectations for him. He's never going to be a star and it's unfair to try to judge him like that.

If he doesn't learn to shoot, he'd need a unicorn of a situation to be successful, because his passing is hard to get much value without a dribble attack / shooting threat, and he's not an uber athlete either. You are talking vet min hustle type guy.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#119 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:37 pm

dougthonus wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Yup exactly. Those are the kind of players you need as quality bench role players. Terry and Ayo are similar molds and all they need is a semi consistent 3pt shot to be very valuable.

If he doesn't learn to shoot, he'd need a unicorn of a situation to be successful, because his passing is hard to get much value without a dribble attack / shooting threat, and he's not an uber athlete either. You are talking vet min hustle type guy.

That's why I said he needs a semi consistent shot. Otherwise yeah he's end of bench/out of the league
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,958

Post#120 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:40 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

That's why I said he needs a semi consistent shot. Otherwise yeah he's end of bench/out of the league

You mentioned people disappointed in his summer league play, but I think what was most disappointing to me is his shooting mechanics are still awful. It's really hard to see him develop into a solid shooter.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls