Image ImageImage Image

Update PG 4: Patrick Williams OUT For Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,356

Re: Update PG 4: Patrick Williams OUT For Season 

Post#101 » by Kurt Heimlich » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:03 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Best wishes on Pat's recovery. Obviously crushes his shall we say previously elevated dreams of his next contract. Is giving him the qualifying offer now a question mark? Especially after the Lonzo debacle.

This site says the QO is 12.9 million.

If he were to sign for that much, does it mean there are any rules attached to it such as he can't be traded or whatever?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/patrick-williams-70646/

12.9 million for him next year wouldn't be a bad idea. He can try to prove that he's worth more and is healthy.

$12.9M seems like an overpay for a guy who does what Pat can, who is also going to be coming off dicey FOOT surgery. It's not my money so I don't care of course, so yes offer him the QO so we maintain "control" even if it's inevitably going to be a dead weight 1 year contract. But what team will actually offer a career 9pts 4 rebounds guy coming off foot surgery big money? And why in gods green earth would we want to match such an offer if it came to pass?
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Re: PWill will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks with acute bone edema 

Post#102 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:08 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Does anyone know more about this type of injury? Is it something that will be fixed with surgery and heal or is it something that is reoccurring?

Also, what do you think this means for his upcoming contract extension? Any predictions on that?

My uneducated guess is that we still re-sign him, say something like 4/$80M, and come to regret not trading him when his value was still relatively high.

As for his injury, no idea, but it's the Bulls so it's probably safe to assume this is a career-altering injury that will persist for years to come. Joking, kinda. But not really :cry:

That contract seems insane to me. Even without the now very evident medical projections, 4/80 sounded like an overpay. Now that just sounds like malpractice.

It would definitely be an overpay, but my reasoning is based on what AKME have done in the past:

- We bid against ourselves and overpaid Vuc and gave him more money and years than we should have

- Pat is AKME's first pick since taking over and they have been very reluctant to admit defeat on poor moves

- AKME LOVES Pat and have reportedly turned down numerous trades over the years for him

- Pat has youth, a top 4 draft pedigree, prototypical size/length for a modern SF/PF, a 3&D floor, and the perception of high potential

I think some crappy rebuilding teams will offer him $20M+ and we'll match it and end up regretting it just like Vuc and Zach.

I would love to be wrong and either trade him or sign him to a reasonable extension, but I don't have much faith.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,365

Post#103 » by kodo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:09 pm

Just another reason for AK to resign Derozan and run it back. How could we evaluate the team without 10 ppg Patrick playing, we might have been title contenders with him healthy.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#104 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:10 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Best wishes on Pat's recovery. Obviously crushes his shall we say previously elevated dreams of his next contract. Is giving him the qualifying offer now a question mark? Especially after the Lonzo debacle.

If he were to sign for that much, does it mean there are any rules attached to it such as he can't be traded or whatever?

12.9 million for him next year wouldn't be a bad idea. He can try to prove that he's worth more and is healthy.

$12.9M seems like an overpay for a guy who does what Pat can, who is also going to be coming off dicey FOOT surgery. It's not my money so I don't care of course, so yes offer him the QO so we maintain "control" even if it's inevitably going to be a dead weight 1 year contract. But what team will actually offer a career 9pts 4 rebounds guy coming off foot surgery big money? And why in gods green earth would we want to match such an offer if it came to pass?

2weekswithpay said that if he signs the QO then he has a no trade clause. PW has to sign off on any deals.

He's 22 years old and a good defensive player who shoots three's at a solid percentage (on low volume). There might be a team who is willing to take a chance on him. For example, Detroit. What do they have to lose if they try to outbid the Bulls?

My initial take on this is that if he takes the QO that's good for the Bulls.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#105 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:11 pm

Anyone with any knowledge of Bulls injury history say this coming. I will pat myself on the back calling it right after Zach was announced out.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#106 » by MikeDC » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:13 pm

I'm shocked! Shocked!
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#107 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:13 pm

Why aren’t we accusing him of unnecessary surgery like Zach?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Re: PWill will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks with acute bone edema 

Post#108 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 pm

sco wrote:I'll be optimistic that this helps us land him on a more reasonable deal.

Only silver lining to this.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#109 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 pm

Did they happen to say which season he’s out for?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,356

Post#110 » by Kurt Heimlich » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:17 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

2weekswithpay said that if he signs the QO then he has a no trade clause. PW has to sign off on any deals.

He's 22 years old and a good defensive player who shoots three's at a solid percentage (on low volume). There might be a team who is willing to take a chance on him. For example, Detroit. What do they have to lose if they try to outbid the Bulls?

My initial take on this is that if he takes the QO that's good for the Bulls.

Lauri's breakout in Utah probably has a lot of us shaken on giving up on our under performing recent lotto picks. Heck the fan base was relatively indifferent to keeping Coby last off season as well. So yeah I get where you're coming from. The foot surgery is a scary quirk here though. And Pat has been Snell'ian in his performance/growth(lack-there-of). Plus Lonzo, and now very possibly Zach, are crushing us with dead weight salary.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#111 » by MrSparkle » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:17 pm

Pat is not getting $20M on this market, unless it's the Jabari Parker contract (1y guaranteed).

He's "worth" $5M-8M after this injury. Anything more is a leap of faith.

I think $12M is realistic given AKME will want to keep their golden boy. Utah, Toronto, Philly, Detroit, Orlando would be in position to pay him more. Philly and Orlando will not spend their cap on an unproven role-player, but the other 3 may have nothing to lose (though DET will be more ambitious).

You can't help but kind of laugh at AK's depth chart though. He had the deadline and waiver wires to atleast not gamble on this PF situation, seeing as 2 of his only "power" forwards were dealing with injuries. It's almost comical at this point, seeing every single one of his risky gambles back-fire.

OTOH, Phillips will play.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#112 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:19 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:Why aren’t we accusing him of unnecessary surgery like Zach?

GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#113 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:19 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Did they happen to say which season he’s out for?

All of them.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,427

Post#114 » by drosestruts » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 pm

The floor is your Julian Phillips
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#115 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:23 pm

I think it's now beyond fair to say that Patrick Williams is a bust.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,121

Post#116 » by jordanwilliams6 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:34 pm

It’s also pretty incredible that we’re now going to have to deal with a situation of having zero playable bigs on the roster outside of Vuc & Drummond.

Derozan & AC are basically our only options at PF and neither of them are close to being that. Craig is obviously out for a while.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,850

Post#117 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 pm

Good call. Saves money on his next contract and this season never meant anything anyway as it regards team success.

I think we are about to enter a free fall and start losing a lot. I said this awhile back and so it has nothing to do with Pat’s surgery, though the impact that has on our depth certainly hurts the team.

I can still watch games for Ayo, Coby and Phillips I guess. I really hate our FO.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#118 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:43 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:It’s also pretty incredible that we’re now going to have to deal with a situation of having zero playable bigs on the roster outside of Vuc & Drummond.

Derozan & AC are basically our only options at PF and neither of them are close to being that. Craig is obviously out for a while.

Phillips, Terry, and Taylor can play PF too. Drell too if we were ever going to play him.

Phillips has already been getting PF minutes for us.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Post#119 » by HomoSapien » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:45 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:Phillips, Terry, and Taylor can play PF too. Drell too if we were ever going to play him.

Saddest sentence in Bulls history...
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,850

Post#120 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Phillips, Terry, and Taylor can play PF too. Drell too if we were ever going to play him.

Saddest sentence in Bulls history...

How about “Today the Chicago Bulls announced it has reached an agreement with Arturas Karsinovas to become the team’s next Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.”
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls