Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 4.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#101 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s probably Williams. I think it saves them 20m and he’s had more than one serious injury
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,628
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#102 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:38 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s probably Williams. I think it saves them 20m and he’s had more than one serious injury

Wow, they have 4 players making more than Herbert? Yeah, that's a terrible situation.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#103 » by Charlesareed » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:42 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I say bring Mack back he’d be good with sweat age the defense this bears team has also bosa wouldn’t be a bad option either
Chicago Raised me
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#104 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:55 pm

Interesting if true...

Read on Twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#105 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:58 pm

If this FO doesn’t get a WR2 or an edge in free agency and then reaches for a tackle at 9 my head will explode.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#106 » by panthermark » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:02 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn,
That list is why I still think there are only 3 QB slots to pay for.

*Legit MVP contract. Think Mahomes can make a significant amount of money because as long as he is on the team, you have a chance. They can carry an average team deep into the play-offs.

*Value vet contract. Think Goff or someone like that. A good player making $30M. He can't "carry" a team, but he is a top 12'ish QB. Better than average.

*Rooke contract. Cheap and controlled.

The worst thing that can happen is to pay a good (or worse) QB elite money. It will be interesting to watch the QB contracts self-correct.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
da pmp
Senior
And1: 169

Post#107 » by da pmp » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:04 pm

Any talk of taking a OT with the #9 pick is smoke
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 911

Post#108 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 pm

jmajew wrote: our D-Line is basically intact from last season

This part of your post isnt correct, the Bears have lost their DE2, DE4, and DT1 from the line last year in NGakoue, Greene, and Jones. Granted they probably needed to lose those DEs and replace them with better ones. Theres still time and FA left though so a lot of the doom and gloom is premature, or at least misfounded angst that Poles decided against a "win now" DE2 like Hunter to pair with Sweat and may be using the draft to find that instead or even kicking the can on a good one to next season.

With that said, DL is a hockey line shift position that needs to rotate heavily to avoid fatigue, you play your DE3 more snaps than you play your NT and you play DE4 more snaps than you play your SAM LB for comparison. Poles doesnt have enough draft picks to fill all those so he will almost certainly sign more DL, but posters need to give him time and realize whats best for 2024 may not be whats best for 2025 an beyond which seems to be how Poles builds.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,973

Post#109 » by Dresden » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:05 pm

I'm starting to hear the refrain "well, we can't fill all the holes in one year", which is the same thing we heard last year when Poles did not do all that much to provide help on the O line and the D line. It seems like this year, for every hole we've filled, new ones have opened up when we've lost players like Mooney and Jones. It feels like all we're doing is treading water, not actually getting ahead of things.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#110 » by Almost Retired » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:09 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I say bring Mack back he’d be good with sweat age the defense this bears team has also bosa wouldn’t be a bad option either

Can't Afford them.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#111 » by molepharmer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Dresden wrote:........last year when Poles did not do all that much to provide help on the O line and the D line......

Bears had about 7 new additions to D-line last year; Pickens, Dexter, Green, Billings, Walker, Sweat, Ngakoue. Four through free agency.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#112 » by Almost Retired » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:15 pm

panthermark wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn,
That list is why I still think there are only 3 QB slots to pay for.

*Legit MVP contract. Think Mahomes can make a significant amount of money because as long as he is on the team, you have a chance. They can carry an average team deep into the play-offs.

*Value vet contract. Think Goff or someone like that. A good player making $30M. He can't "carry" a team, but he is a top 12'ish QB. Better than average.

*Rooke contract. Cheap and controlled.

The worst thing that can happen is to pay a good (or worse) QB elite money. It will be interesting to watch the QB contracts self-correct.

Damn, I wasn't joking a while back that if Caleb lives up to expectations he might be in line to want the First $100 Million a year contract the way inflation is driving up the $$$ for QBs. At some point this salary escalation is going to cripple a lot of teams.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,939

Post#113 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:16 pm

da pmp wrote:Any talk of taking a OT with the #9 pick is smoke

I'd consider it for Alt at #9 or a tackle (Mims) if we trade down.

I'm starting to think the ideal is trading down from #9 to a QB needy team to then pick up at least an extra 2nd.

Then we go WR with the trade down pick and the extra 2nd.

I hope we get a 2nd tier rush end via FA. Some hustler who can be a part of the D-Line platoon.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#114 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm

Ngakoue is a FA. I wonder if we bring him back on another cheap "prove it" contract. He's very situational and didn't perform all that well though.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,973

Post#115 » by Dresden » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:27 pm

molepharmer wrote:
Dresden wrote:........last year when Poles did not do all that much to provide help on the O line and the D line......

Bears had about 7 new additions to D-line last year; Pickens, Dexter, Green, Billings, Walker, Sweat, Ngakoue. Four through free agency.

True, but Ngakoue was a very late pick up and wasn't all that effective. Billings was pretty good. Sweat was great but that didn't happen until well into the season. The rest of those guys didn't have much impact.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man

Post#116 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:28 pm

molepharmer wrote:

2 new starters on the OL including the first round pick and the 2nd highest AAV guard who then went on to have the worst season of his career (maybe due to family death maybe due to "got paid" sydrome who knows). Poles problem with the OL was trusting that C could be handled by one of Whitehair or Patrick when both were clearly washed but he invested a ton of resources into the OL and DL and improved the DL at least by quite a bit.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#117 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:28 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:

I'm starting to think the ideal is trading down from #9 to a QB needy team to then pick up at least an extra 2nd.

I hope we get a 2nd tier rush end via FA. Some hustler who can be a part of the D-Line platoon.

At that point, could Jones kick inside to guard? Or would he be a really good backup or traded?
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,939

Post#118 » by nomorezorro » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:30 pm

ngakoue sucked and has never been particularly good outside of raw sack numbers; he should absolutely not come back

if you're going to get a one-year mercenary DE, sign clowney. if you're going to get a one-year mercenary DE who's a one-dimensional pass rush guy, sign chase young
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man

Post#119 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:37 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

At that point, could Jones kick inside to guard? Or would he be a really good backup or traded?

Jones cant play Guard in the NFL, too long too light, weak in a phone booth and his strength is his mobility and being able to block DBs on the edge on outside runs. Hes a tackle, whether thats starting or swing.

Dresden wrote:
molepharmer wrote:

True, but Ngakoue was a very late pick up and wasn't all that effective. Billings was pretty good. Sweat was great but that didn't happen until well into the season. The rest of those guys didn't have much impact.

Here's the DEs available in 2023, which ones would have made a noticeable difference in impact over what Poles signed: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/edge/all/ some of those are DTs like Jones or Ogunjobe but Spotrac is wrong with the position label but hell throw them in too. IF we're going to criticize the moves he did make then point out the alterntives available, or perhaps we concede that not every hole can be meaningfully filled in one offseason?

That doesnt excuse current action but there is some historical revisionism going on that doesnt match reality.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#120 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Too many holes to fill with one pick at 9.

What a rough free agency.

Free agency started less than 48 hours ago. You may need to crack open a beer.

Free agency is actually over for signing tier 1 talent. That’s a wrap.

The best WR is still available. So are another 3-5 of the top 10 receiver options. And we can still plug holes without tier 1 guys.

Return to Chicago Bulls