Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 4.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#121 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm

HearshotKDS wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I'd consider it for Alt at #9 or a tackle (Mims) if we trade down.

I'm starting to think the ideal is trading down from #9 to a QB needy team to then pick up at least an extra 2nd.

Then we go WR with the trade down pick and the extra 2nd.

I hope we get a 2nd tier rush end via FA. Some hustler who can be a part of the D-Line platoon.

At that point, could Jones kick inside to guard? Or would he be a really good backup or traded?

Jones cant play Guard in the NFL, too long too light, weak in a phone booth and his strength is his mobility and being able to block DBs on the edge on outside runs. Hes a tackle, whether thats starting or swing.

Dresden wrote:
molepharmer wrote:Bears had about 7 new additions to D-line last year; Pickens, Dexter, Green, Billings, Walker, Sweat, Ngakoue. Four through free agency.

True, but Ngakoue was a very late pick up and wasn't all that effective. Billings was pretty good. Sweat was great but that didn't happen until well into the season. The rest of those guys didn't have much impact.

Here's the DEs available in 2023, which ones would have made a noticeable difference in impact over what Poles signed: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/edge/all/ some of those are DTs like Jones or Ogunjobe but Spotrac is wrong with the position label but hell throw them in too. IF we're going to criticize the moves he did make then point out the alterntives available, or perhaps we concede that not every hole can be meaningfully filled in one offseason?

That doesnt excuse current action but there is some historical revisionism going on that doesnt match reality.

I think a one year DE would be fine. Next year's DE draft class should be strong.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,628
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#122 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:43 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:Free agency started less than 48 hours ago. You may need to crack open a beer.

Free agency is actually over for signing tier 1 talent. That’s a wrap.

The best WR is still available. So are another 3-5 of the top 10 receiver options. And we can still plug holes without tier 1 guys.

We also added some receiving targets with Swift and Everett, although I agree that we definitely need at least 2 more options at the WR position.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#123 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is nuts. What if Poles traded Mack as part of a very successful tank and rebuild that landed us two #1 overall picks, and the Chargers cut Mack, and we sign him for pennis on the dollar? :o
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 910

Post#124 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:I think a one year DE would be fine. Next year's DE draft class should be strong.

Sometimes a 1-2 year placeholder is the best you can do until a better long term solution presents itself.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,937

Post#125 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:45 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
da pmp wrote:Any talk of taking a OT with the #9 pick is smoke

I'd consider it for Alt at #9 or a tackle (Mims) if we trade down.

I'm starting to think the ideal is trading down from #9 to a QB needy team to then pick up at least an extra 2nd.

I hope we get a 2nd tier rush end via FA. Some hustler who can be a part of the D-Line platoon.

At that point, could Jones kick inside to guard? Or would he be a really good backup or traded?

Ideally traded I think, at least if we landed Alt.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#126 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:54 pm

I dunno, the low amount of drafts picks we own, the lack of trade talk and “interest” in Fields, the lack of FA signings at WR and DE…starting to look like a blueprint for trading down from #1 and taking a WR and then a DE, picking up more draft assets, and rolling with Justin :lol:
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#127 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:56 pm

EDIT: delete
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,093

Post#128 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:05 pm

Thinking Fields best value will be…

- Traded for a player not pick

- Probably once training camp starts and QBs go down with injuries. I just don’t see Poles bringing Fields and Williams to camp together.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#129 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:16 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I'd consider it for Alt at #9 or a tackle (Mims) if we trade down.

I think Jones allowed 1 or 0 sacks after he came back from his neck injury. I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft OT at 9 instead of WR or DE given our dire needs for those positions and the WRs and DEs that could be available are perceived as equal or better prospects when compared to the OTs.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,937

Post#130 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:21 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

I think Jones allowed 1 or 0 sacks after he came back from his neck injury. I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft OT at 9 instead of WR or DE given our dire needs for those positions and the WRs and DEs that could be available are perceived as equal or better prospects when compared to the OTs.

I think my point with Alt is that he could seemingly be a better prospect than any of the WR or DE alternatives at #9. As the best ones would have had to be drafted earlier for Alt to fall to #9 in the first place.

And if we're going Caleb, we really don't need to get antsy. There is some time to work with here. That's part of appeal. Going OT might not be the best move for next year, but it could be the best move for the next 10 years.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#131 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter

This is such a bad take. To think Poles would blame a section of the fan base for personnel decisions rather than doing what’s best for the team is absurd.

It also confirms that Chicago media has no inside intel on the Bears currently and are just guessing at this point lol
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,644

Post#132 » by fleet » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:32 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Ideally traded I think, at least if we landed Alt.

I think my point with Alt is that he could seemingly be a better prospect than any of the WR or DE alternatives at #9. As the best ones would have had to be drafted earlier for Alt to fall to #9 in the first place.

And if we're going Caleb, we really don't need to get antsy. There is some time to work with here. That's part of appeal. Going OT might not be the best move for next year, but it could be the best move for the next 10 years.

The time honored way to build an offense is by linking a franchise left tackle with a franchise quarterback. The receivers come and go, especially when it is time to pay receivers. The behemoth LTs are always paid and kept, because they are more important. The opportunity to do both in the same draft is rare. I’m in.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#133 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:39 pm

fleet wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:I think Jones allowed 1 or 0 sacks after he came back from his neck injury. I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft OT at 9 instead of WR or DE given our dire needs for those positions and the WRs and DEs that could be available are perceived as equal or better prospects when compared to the OTs.

The time honored way to build an offense is by linking a franchise left tackle with a franchise quarterback. The receivers come and go, especially when it is time to pay receivers. The behemoth LTs are always paid and kept, because they are more important. The opportunity to do both in the same draft is rare. I’m in.

That is of course unless Poles likes Penix but hasn’t tipped his hand. We already have Wright so we can go WR in this case.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#134 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is such a bad take. To think Poles would blame a section of the fan base for personnel decisions rather than doing what’s best for the team is absurd.

It also confirms that Chicago media has no inside intel on the Bears currently and are just guessing at this point lol

IMO, it is extremely obvious that keeping Justin is untenable because of the s-show/distraction/scene it would cause around the team. The fans are just one component of it. The media hullabaloo would be insane as well. It is all Caleb and Fields would be asked about. He's not suggesting "Poles would blame a section of the fan base for personnel decisions rather than doing what's best for the team," he's suggesting what's best for the team is not to have both guys on the roster, because of the massive distraction it would cause and potential hindrance of Caleb's development, which is in part (but not totally) caused by the fanbase.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Post#135 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:47 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is nuts. What if Poles traded Mack as part of a very successful tank and rebuild that landed us two #1 overall picks, and the Chargers cut Mack, and we sign him for pennis on the dollar? :o

That would be a dream.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#136 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:53 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

If Poles shouldn't care about what the actual players think when it comes to keeping fields, why would he care what fans think?

The inconstant standards from these media people about the whole situation has been hard to listen to. If you want him gone, fine, but at least be consistent.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#137 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:57 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

IMO, it is extremely obvious that keeping Justin is untenable because of the s-show/distraction/scene it would cause around the team. The fans are just one component of it. The media hullabaloo would be insane as well. It is all Caleb and Fields would be asked about. He's not suggesting "Poles would blame a section of the fan base for personnel decisions rather than doing what's best for the team," he's suggesting what's best for the team is not to have both guys on the roster, because of the massive distraction it would cause and potential hindrance of Caleb's development, which is in part (but not totally) caused by the fanbase.

I agree that it would be a s-show/distraction for fans and the media, but the bears locker room has shown to be very professional and I see no reason why they can't handle that. The only thing that could be a "distraction" is if there's a QB competition. And if Fields or Williams can't handle that, then that's why they shouldn't be on the team. I might be wrong, but if Caleb lets his development be hindered by fans and medias' opinions, that's on him
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,644

Post#138 » by fleet » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:01 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
fleet wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I think my point with Alt is that he could seemingly be a better prospect than any of the WR or DE alternatives at #9. As the best ones would have had to be drafted earlier for Alt to fall to #9 in the first place.

That is of course unless Poles likes Penix but hasn’t tipped his hand. We already have Wright so we can go WR in this case.

Not of course imo. You bookend elite tackles, and a franchise quarterback (insert name)? That is the skeleton of an elite offense for over a decade.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#139 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:02 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:I dunno, the low amount of drafts picks we own, the lack of trade talk and “interest” in Fields, the lack of FA signings at WR and DE…starting to look like a blueprint for trading down from #1 and taking a WR and then a DE, picking up more draft assets, and rolling with Justin :lol:

its been the plan all along
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#140 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm

Chi town wrote:Thinking Fields best value will be…

- Traded for a player not pick

- Probably once training camp starts and QBs go down with injuries. I just don’t see Poles bringing Fields and Williams to camp together.

I think fields being traded for a player would depend on when he's traded and how much cap we have at the time. add at this point it seems unlikely that we would have sufficient cap space to add a player via trade.

I think people need to get used to the idea of fields being on the team next season and at least competing for the starting job. But I don't think there's going to be any clarity with the situation until after Williams' pro day. I think a lot of dots will start connecting after that

but it is interesting to think who he'd get traded for. If we go along with what the media thinks his value is, it would be a cheap back up. If we go with what starting QB (even if he is a low-end starter) typically get in return in a trade, it would be a decent starter

Return to Chicago Bulls