Image ImageImage Image

Bears 6.0 - Bear Witness to their 1st elite offense

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,644

Re: Bears 6.0 - Bear Witness to their 1st elite offense 

Post#121 » by fleet » Tue May 14, 2024 10:55 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Chi town wrote:I’m with Fleet. Too soon in a need to talk about it way.

Two things are clear…

Fields has NO ANTICIPATION. This is what DJ has said over and over after playing with Caleb about what he has. Also inferring Fields had none.

Report above shows he can’t read the field. His eyes are everywhere as a result they are nowhere.

I think that you and Fleet both make valid points with regards to the “newness” of our current QB situation. We have a body of work on JF whereas we don’t with Caleb so perhaps that makes the JF discussion easier to have at the moment.

With that said, I despise anyone that could criticize a player in the way that this supposed “source” did while at the same time not being willing to put their name on it. It just doesn’t feel like the standup thing to do. Even if you are trying to protect yourself and your career, one could just opt to not say anything at all. Then there is the timing of it as well. Why now? At a time when this coach is presumably no longer here. Fields is no longer here. The integrity of it all just feels highly questionable to me.

Bottom line, I just wish we could be excited about Caleb while simply wishing Justin luck on his future NFL endeavors. Football aside, I believe JF is a good dude that doesn’t deserve to have his professionalism and character attacked on the way out the door. It’s cheap and tacky in my opinion.

Whoever this was, was probably asked the question and was brutally honest in his answer. Right or wrong….

Bill Lazor, DeFilippo? A receivers coach? As far as players, some combo or selection of guys like Alan Robinson, Foles, maybe even Andy Dalton are among the few people who would even know. Josh Lucas was talking about this toxic or dysfunctional stuff in February. Wouldn’t be surprised if Lucas put Dunne in contact with whoever has been talking. I would be a little surprised if anyone from Getsy’s/Eberflus’ staff was involved. Justin had better vibes going with those new people. “Over coaching” notwithstanding.

“We thought having two vets with him would really help him with Andy and Nick, and that was not cohesive at all,” ex-Bears director of player personnel Josh Lucas said. “The part you don’t like about it is that there’s a teachable moment in every point of practice. There’s teachable moments in the building during the day, how you carry yourself as a quarterback. There’s teachable moments at press conferences. There’s teachable moments every snap on Sunday. When you’ve got two guys that have won as much as Nick and seen as much as Andy, and you don’t take that information in, because you’re a little standoffish and a little abrasive, you’re wasting that opportunity.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 166

Post#122 » by DropStep » Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm

I don't look at it as a deliberate smear on Justin, exactly. I think he gets paid to look at players with a critical eye, and Justin's reputation was collateral damage to his present focus - which is the biggest decision they have made probably in their careers, and answering "hey man, are you guys sure you did the right thing?" from everyone he runs into. I think he was like, I know how obsessed you are with whether we got this right, which I appreciate. I'll throw you a bone. We can't say this publicly, because we supported Justin for a long time and wish him the best. But we've been working around his weaknesses for years, it wasn't really a tough decision, and I'm pretty sure we did the right thing. (More or less.) Almost like a post here, from an anonymous insider.

I also think one of two things is true: either A) Everybody on the staff can tell who this person is, based on the opinions and the terminology he used, and he got in some trouble for saying this. Or, B) This was an approved leak to reassure the rabid fanbase.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#123 » by fleet » Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 pm

Its getting rough out there for Justin. I wonder what it is going to be like working with Russell Wilson. I haven’t heard great things about Russ in Seattle though. If the Bears did Justin a favor, maybe they didn’t.

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#124 » by fleet » Tue May 14, 2024 11:41 pm

Don’t know whoever other receivers there are in this drill, but DJ, Velus, KA , and Scott. Velus is going to get a chance it seems to stay in the room. At least stay on the team, he got a testimonial from Hightower. He hasn’t dropped anything yet. Can a highly skilled QB that plays on time in rhythm get anything at all out of Velus I wonder. Aaron Rodgers made a lot of meh receivers look better than they are.

Read on Twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#125 » by Almost Retired » Wed May 15, 2024 1:31 pm

fleet wrote:Don’t know whoever other receivers there are in this drill, but DJ, Velus, KA , and Scott. Velus is going to get a chance it seems to stay in the room. At least stay on the team, he got a testimonial from Hightower. He hasn’t dropped anything yet. Can a highly skilled QB that plays on time in rhythm get anything at all out of Velus I wonder. Aaron Rodgers made a lot of meh receivers look better than they are.

Read on Twitter

I think Velus is going to be on the bubble. His ability to return kicks might be what saves his roster spot. There is going to be some stiff competition for roster spots this year. The overall talent level keeps rising.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#126 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 15, 2024 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#127 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Bears got their wish lol
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#128 » by fleet » Wed May 15, 2024 2:25 pm

George the curmudgeon wins again
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#129 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Sorry, might’ve spoke too soon lol
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#130 » by jnrjr79 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:27 pm

fleet wrote:George the curmudgeon wins again

Nope. This is a spinoff rather than the main Hard Knocks. We shall see.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#131 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed May 15, 2024 3:39 pm

Bears vs Commanders makes sense (1 vs 2 pick)
Bears vs Panthers makes sense (1 pick this year vs 1 pick last year)

Really don't want it to be Houston, as I don't want Caleb's 1st game to be against one of (if not the) best edge rushing team in the league. That would suck.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,960

Post#132 » by dougthonus » Wed May 15, 2024 3:39 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

It's hard to imagine a better candidate than the Bears for Hard Knocks.

I can see why the coaching staff wouldn't be amped, but I think that's short sighted. The fans would absolutely love it, and it would build a lot of positive fan momentum and enjoyment, especially given _this_ offseason. I think that's a pretty small price to pay for the annoyance of having the cameras around.

I don't really care a whole lot one way or the other. I'll watch it if it's the Bears, won't watch it if it is a different team.

I know I've got a different view on how much credit to give Poles, but I'm completely amped about this Bears season and the future of the franchise.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#133 » by fleet » Wed May 15, 2024 3:43 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

I can see why the coaching staff wouldn't be amped, but I think that's short sighted. The fans would absolutely love it, and it would build a lot of positive fan momentum and enjoyment, especially given _this_ offseason. I think that's a pretty small price to pay for the annoyance of having the cameras around.

I don't really care a whole lot one way or the other. I'll watch it if it's the Bears, won't watch it if it is a different team.

I know I've got a different view on how much credit to give Poles, but I'm completely amped about this Bears season and the future of the franchise.

If anything, I think Poles and Eberflus have everything pointed in the same direction with good staffing. We can see how valuable that is coming off Pace and Nagy. If they got the quarterback right, this should be good. Poles is good enough in the draft. But his superpower hopefully is getting the “organization” right. Once he curbs some of the impatient moves, he might become an above average to good GM
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#134 » by jnrjr79 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:48 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Of the teams that the NFL could force to do it, it seems to me that the Bears would by far be the most compelling to follow right now. It won't shock me if they finally have to do it.

I know the coaches and front office never want it, but just like you, I'd be stoked. I also think it would have pretty good national appeal for non-Bears fans.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#135 » by RedBulls23 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm

fleet wrote:Don’t know whoever other receivers there are in this drill, but DJ, Velus, KA , and Scott. Velus is going to get a chance it seems to stay in the room. At least stay on the team, he got a testimonial from Hightower. He hasn’t dropped anything yet. Can a highly skilled QB that plays on time in rhythm get anything at all out of Velus I wonder. Aaron Rodgers made a lot of meh receivers look better than they are.

Read on Twitter

Velus' last stand?

With how strong the WR room is, I'd hope the Bears would move on from him and not waste a roster spot.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#136 » by dougthonus » Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm

fleet wrote:If anything, I think Poles and Eberflus have everything pointed in the same direction with good staffing. We can see how valuable that is coming off Pace and Nagy. If they got the quarterback right, this should be good. Poles is good enough in the draft. But his superpower hopefully is getting the “organization” right. Once he curbs some of the impatient moves, he might become an above average to good GM

I think Nagy was the best HC they've had since Lovie. I'd take him over Eberflus at this moment in time, but I'm open to having a wait and see approach on Flus because I don't think he's had so much to work with either.

Not saying Nagy was elite, but I think with some time gone by, him getting stuck trying to build an offense around Trubisky shouldn't throw too much dirt on him. Grinding out 12 wins with that guy as your QB was a miracle, much like I think Lovie making the superbowl with Rex Grossman as his QB is one of the most underappreciated Chicago sports events in history. Like he's in the running for worst QB to ever lead a team to the superbowl, and probably the worst in an era where the QB had high levels of importance.
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#137 » by fleet » Wed May 15, 2024 4:16 pm

dougthonus wrote:
fleet wrote:If anything, I think Poles and Eberflus have everything pointed in the same direction with good staffing. We can see how valuable that is coming off Pace and Nagy. If they got the quarterback right, this should be good. Poles is good enough in the draft. But his superpower hopefully is getting the “organization” right. Once he curbs some of the impatient moves, he might become an above average to good GM

I think Nagy was the best HC they've had since Lovie. I'd take him over Eberflus at this moment in time, but I'm open to having a wait and see approach on Flus because I don't think he's had so much to work with either.

Not saying Nagy was elite, but I think with some time gone by, him getting stuck trying to build an offense around Trubisky shouldn't throw too much dirt on him. Grinding out 12 wins with that guy as your QB is a miracle.

No I agree on Nagy. His alleged problems handling Trubisky, Fields and his coaches underneath as outlined in the Dunne piece were holes in his boat. Not that the quarterbacks were easy. Nagy probably needed some better infrastructure behind him to get it all under control, but Pace was a disaster.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#138 » by dougthonus » Wed May 15, 2024 4:21 pm

fleet wrote:No I agree on Nagy. His alleged problems handling Trubisky, Fields and his coaches underneath as outlined in the Dunne piece were holes in his boat. Not that the quarterbacks were easy. Nagy probably needed some better infrastructure behind him to get it all under control, but Pace was a disaster.

Have only seen snippets of the Dunne piece since it is behind a paywall. At any rate, I didn't look at Matt Nagy and go "wow, next Bill Belichek this guy" but coming off of Fox and Trestman, I did at least think he was competent. Maybe similar to how I view Billy Donovan as a coach. Not a guy who's going to add a ton of wins, but compared to guys like Boylen, Hoiberg, VDN, whom actively add losses, he's fine.
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#139 » by sco » Wed May 15, 2024 4:58 pm

I'm promising myself that I won't let myself get swept up in the CW hype this season. That said, this was encouraging:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/caleb-williams-obsessive-mentality-is-already-annoying-his-coaches/

quarterbacks coach Kerry Joseph admitted to Josh Schrock of NBC Sports Chicago that sometimes Williams gets carried away.
“HE’S ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO WANT TO KNOW WHY,” QUARTERBACKS COACH KERRY JOSEPH SAID AFTER THE TWO-DAY CAMP WRAPPED UP. “YOU PUT SOMETHING IN, YOU PUT A PLAY IN, YOU TALK ABOUT IT, YOU GIVE HIM THE PROGRESSIONS, WHETHER IT’S RUN OR PASS, LIKE HE WANTS TO KNOW WHY. LAST NIGHT, PROBABLY ABOUT 10:30 OR 11 O’CLOCK, HE TEXTS ME, ‘HEY, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS HERE? WHY ARE WE BLOCKING IT LIKE THAT? ISN’T THAT HIS GUY TO BLOCK?’ HE JUST WANTS TO KNOW. HE WANTS TO KNOW THOSE ANSWERS.
“SO WHEN YOU HAVE A GUY LIKE THAT, HE’S HUNGRY FOR IT AND YOU LOVE TO KNOW THAT BECAUSE NOW HE BECOMES A COACH ON THE FIELD FOR YOU. ONCE HE GETS IT AND LEARNS THIS WHOLE SYSTEM, HE’LL BECOME A COACH ON THE FIELD NOW.”
:clap:
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#140 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed May 15, 2024 5:31 pm

Bears v Titans week 1. I’ll take it.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls