Image ImageImage Image

SI: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,662
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#121 » by waffle » Sat May 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I was never high on Mikey anyway. My #1 was/is JVG. I still have a thing for Mark J. T-bone is still an unknown to me

I am not 100% confident that Mikey WAS pax's #1...
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#122 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 10, 2008 7:09 pm

StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#123 » by StutterStep » Sat May 10, 2008 7:13 pm

Susan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Go ahead, hold your breath.

Why? 'cause I corrected you on your lack of knowledge?

:rofl:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#124 » by coldfish » Sat May 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Now isn't the time to be taking pot shots at Bulls posters stutter step.
ikeziskash
Lead Assistant
And1: 158

Post#125 » by ikeziskash » Sat May 10, 2008 7:20 pm

If this is true I will not watch this team anymore. This will be the last straw.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#126 » by StutterStep » Sat May 10, 2008 7:21 pm

coldfish wrote:Now isn't the time to be taking pot shots at Bulls posters stutter step.

coldfish, I am not taking shots at "Bulls Posters". I was responding to Susan's off-hand comment.

I post here often (esp. in Knicks-related threads) and never get into any negative confrontations with other posters.
ikeziskash
Lead Assistant
And1: 158

Post#127 » by ikeziskash » Sat May 10, 2008 7:21 pm

I am done with this cheap, gutless management and team. Screw this team.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#128 » by DJhitek » Sat May 10, 2008 7:21 pm

:dontknow:

Oh well, let's keep this snail parade going and move on to the next coach with tons of rumors attached to him.

I won't lie, if money was the main factor behind our failure to land MD than I'm pissed at JR for being rich and not willing to spend his money on anyone outside of his beloved baseball franchise.

But I had no huge preference who coaches this Bulls team either way. I wouldn't be surprised if we hire Bernie Bickerstaff at this rate....
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#129 » by RyGuy24 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:24 pm

At least whoever we get will be oozes better than our last coach. Keep that in mind.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#130 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat May 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Hmmm. Well, this is a little disappointing. To be honest, I'm not convinced D'Antoni was going to do as much as most on this board hoped he would, so I was only mildly interested. D'Antoni was a guy who would help the young guys discover where they fit. Now, we have to hope whoever we hire can do the same thing.

I wonder if money was the real issue. Everyone assumes it is, but Paxson never even made a formal offer, from what I read...was it him being unconvinced of D'Antoni, or was it Reinsdorf handcuffing him? In my experience with the bulls, it seems to always be Reinsdorf, but you never know. Ah, well.
LIbullsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#131 » by LIbullsfan » Sat May 10, 2008 7:29 pm

This is Sickening. As a Bulls Fan in NY, I'm in an environment with teams willing to overspend on anything and everything to try and win. Seeing our cheapskate owner reaping record profits and not giving a damn about getting the team over mediocrity, it's like getting punched in the marbles repeatedly.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat May 10, 2008 7:33 pm

PS- The knicks will now be fun to watch lose again. Believe me, if they keep this roster intact, they will. No real PG? Check. No interior D to prevent easy layups once you've scored on the break? Check. No outside shooting? Double check.

D'Antoni inherits players that just...don't fit. Marbury IS NOT the same Marbury anymore. Its not his mental state. Physically, he does not have the superior quickness he used to have, and he never improved his skills to compensate. He's just not very good anymore...and who knows if the Knicks will even let him play.

Eddy Curry is pretty much the opposite of the running basketball game. If he gets into shape, he'll get up and down ok...the problem is that he won't defend or rebound, and he'll turn the ball over a ton- those are the weaknesses of the system, and he embodies them.

Randolph has never been NEAR to a run-&-gun system, but whenever he played the Suns/Wiz/etc., he'd never be back on D quickly enough.

Goddamn, will this excoriation of the Knicks, an already beaten team, be glorious to watch, as a Knick-hater.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#133 » by DJhitek » Sat May 10, 2008 7:34 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:Hmmm. Well, this is a little disappointing. To be honest, I'm not convinced D'Antoni was going to do as much as most on this board hoped he would, so I was only mildly interested. D'Antoni was a guy who would help the young guys discover where they fit. Now, we have to hope whoever we hire can do the same thing.

I wonder if money was the real issue. Everyone assumes it is, but Paxson never even made a formal offer, from what I read...was it him being unconvinced of D'Antoni, or was it Reinsdorf handcuffing him? In my experience with the bulls, it seems to always be Reinsdorf, but you never know. Ah, well.

Good observation actually...this could be on Paxson more than anything else that has been stated so far. I'm just upset the Bulls are indecisive at times. Gets annoying and might have cost us plausible deals considering the regression all of the players had.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#134 » by Red Larrivee » Sat May 10, 2008 7:34 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:Hmmm. Well, this is a little disappointing. To be honest, I'm not convinced D'Antoni was going to do as much as most on this board hoped he would, so I was only mildly interested. D'Antoni was a guy who would help the young guys discover where they fit. Now, we have to hope whoever we hire can do the same thing.

From what I got from the K.C. Johnson article..

D'Antoni was Paxson's "guy" but he was not willing to get into a money battle to get his "guy."

It seems 100% that money was the issue. The Knicks were willing to offer anything D'Antoni wanted, while the Bulls were not. Now I don't like D'Antoni, but mind you this is a guy who has four 50+ win seasons under his belt since coming to the league. There's no way you can get him for Willy Wonka coins.

The Pau Gasol situation already let me know the Bulls were cheap, but this should confirm it to anyone who was in denial.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#135 » by Susan » Sat May 10, 2008 7:35 pm

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why? 'cause I corrected you on your lack of knowledge?

:rofl:

Lack of knowledge? I don't think Jesus Christ could turn Marbles into Baron right now. But whatever, this is a good hire for you guys if you're patient. Luck in the lottery will help too. Good for you, I hate this franchise, you can enjoy your franchise after the trainwreck that is IT. Cool.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#136 » by Jo Jo English » Sat May 10, 2008 7:38 pm

RyGuy24 wrote:At least whoever we get will be oozes better than our last coach. Keep that in mind.

True, but I still don't take too much solace in that. It is like saying since your last meal was a dog turd on a hot dog bun, you'll be pleased as punch if I take you to McDonald's.

Sure, the chicken McNuggets are going to taste better than dog feces, but dammit, Bulls fan shouldn't have to settle for that.

We all know that the fancy, expensive places like Morton's steakhouse or Alinea are out (Uncle Jerry has his purse strings a little too tight), but don't we at least deserve an average meal at a place like Chili's or Outback Steakhouse?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat May 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

From what I got from the K.C. Johnson article..

D'Antoni was Paxson's "guy" but he was not willing to get into a money battle to get his "guy."

KC Johnson wrote:The meeting was an opportunity for Reinsdorf to gauge D'Antoni's desire to coach the Bulls, as well as see if his commitment to defense was satisfactory. Sources said the two also talked parameters of a contract.

Bulls general manager John Paxson spent parts of last Sunday and Monday interviewing D'Antoni in Phoenix.

Paxson was intrigued with several of D'Antoni's offensive ideas using Bulls personnel. But Paxson also values defense, not considered one of D'Antoni's strengths.

That's why Paxson, according to sources, discussed hiring a veteran defensive assistant during his interview with D'Antoni last weekend in Phoenix. D'Antoni is closely linked to offensive-minded assistants like Phil Weber and older brother Dan D'Antoni.

That's not what I got from the article. I got that Paxson wasn't sold on D'Antoni, but did like him. He wanted to get some defensive assistants in there to help out, and my take is that D'Antoni did the same thing to Paxson that he did to Kerr, he told them both to shove it, and that he didn't need these guys to help him coach.

We, as a board, may have been sold on him, but I'm just not sure Paxson was. You figure you'd at least make an offer if you're sold on him...right? There were rumors of an offer, but they were refuted...I believe. To be honest, there's so much info floating out there, its hard to keep up.

EDIT: What sort of cruel mother names her son Dan D'Antoni?
LaymansTerms
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#138 » by LaymansTerms » Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah, I don't get the Marbury = Davis argument.

Marbury is older and has already played in D'Antoni's system and failed. I can see him getting waived in the summer.
NYSPORTSNUCCA
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#139 » by NYSPORTSNUCCA » Sat May 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Susan wrote:Trainwrecks in Chicago and New York now!

I never post on this board but.., on the Knicks' board someone stated that Bulls fans are a little upset about (POSSIBLY) missing out on D' Antoni.

I couldn't believe it. Why would you guys be upset about not hiring him?

I was hoping he went to the Bulls because we don't have anything remotely resembling Nash, Amare, Marion and if you want.., Joe Johnson. I like Walsh and I like atleast having a quick enough hiring for the upcoming draft but geesh...., this man's system wont win squat in today's league. We wont even be exciting enough to watch because., we don't have his type of players.

The Bulls would've been a MUCH better fit with way better players. Honestly.., I think Avery would've been a much better fit for both teams.
three2theD wrote:
I've been on the THjr bandwagon since summer league, and I would trade him for Rondo. IMO Rondo is the third best PG in the NBA after Curry and CP3.
I doubt anything happens though.
FRKMSTR
Junior
And1: 22

Post#140 » by FRKMSTR » Sat May 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I know I am the minority but I am glad he didn't come to the Bulls. I don't think it was just about money for the Bulls, if you have to bring defensive coaches along with him, why pay him the big bucks?

Me personally just don't think he is a good fit. We would have been the Suns of the east, get to the playoffs and then lose to the same team every year.

I would rather pay a little less maybe and go after a defensive minded coach or another coach who is a better fit.

Just remember who said it this time next year when we are the most improved team, put me down for agreeing with Paxson and JR.

Return to Chicago Bulls