Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,698

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#141 » by sco » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:00 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:I'm not down on him, but he could still have a breakout season. He probably plays better with starters. His game is based on hustle. Just only knows one speed rn. That can be developed. He just cant out brute everyone all the time. There needs to be some skill he can offer on offense. He has talent and no focus on what he wants to be. Hes a nba player. Just hes not going to be good at the things he thinks he did in college. He can be a pass only player rn. Hustle hard in transition and be a defender. That will help him this season. He can see minutes, just by doing less and be a rebounder and defender. He has enough talent to figure it out

Your points are correct, and I'm pretty confident the team will keep him through the season; however, IMO his overall skill level and potential is probably lower than 30 guys that we could go out and nab right now to replace him on the roster. Heck, I'd rather give his spot to Bitim or Lewis.
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#142 » by FriedRise » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:29 pm

The 6ft Hurdle wrote:I mean what were we expecting from a guy who only averaged 8 ppg in college. :crazy:

Excuse me, but Pat averaged 9 ppg in college.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#143 » by Wingy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:41 pm

FriedRise wrote:
The 6ft Hurdle wrote:I mean what were we expecting from a guy who only averaged 8 ppg in college. :crazy:

Excuse me, but Pat averaged 9 ppg in college.

and what were we expecting? :crazy:

(I mostly jest. Mostly.)
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,374

Post#144 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
League Circles wrote:At the expense of whose spot?

Frankly I'd strongly consider declining Terry's third year option when we have to decide at the end of this month. I'd rather roll the dice on someone else than pick up his 3.5 million for year 3. Unless we make a consolidation trade. I'd much rather see more Phillips, Williams, Bitim etc.

Carlick Jones for me. We don’t need four point guards on the active roster

If the Bulls want to duck the tax, they have to waive one of Terry Taylor or Carlik Jones prior to their guaranteed dates. You can almost guarantee they'll do that (and it'd be really stupid to not do that).

If they waive both, they can bring in a different vet min player and still duck the tax (possible to keep Favors this way or someone else).

You have to keep in mind though, the tax only kicks in after the season. You could be over it and then trade away guys during the season to get under it. Teams do it all the time.
The Cult of Personality
sco
RealGM

Post#145 » by sco » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:42 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Carlick Jones for me. We don’t need four point guards on the active roster

If the Bulls want to duck the tax, they have to waive one of Terry Taylor or Carlik Jones prior to their guaranteed dates. You can almost guarantee they'll do that (and it'd be really stupid to not do that).

If they waive both, they can bring in a different vet min player and still duck the tax (possible to keep Favors this way or someone else).

You have to keep in mind though, the tax only kicks in after the season. You could be over it and then trade away guys during the season to get under it. Teams do it all the time.

I've been wrong before on guys' developmental curves before. They develop at different rates. I think the question about exercising Terry's option comes down to 2 things:

1) Do we see more potential with Terry than we do with the myriad of g-league and intl talent that we could go out and get and give a chance on a 1+1 min deal? Say Bitim for example.

2) What is the opportunity cost of the difference between $3.5M and a min deal for next season (coupled with maybe getting Ball's deal off the books with "medical retirement")?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,983

Post#146 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:53 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:You have to keep in mind though, the tax only kicks in after the season. You could be over it and then trade away guys during the season to get under it. Teams do it all the time.

Well, the waived Jones, like I figured so it's a moot point now.

Yes, you could look to do a money saving trade later, but I just didn't think that is likely given you have a way out now that costs you no assets. Why would you put yourself in position to give up an asset to save money later, even if it's just a small one? I think you'd have had to have been really, really high on both Terry Taylor and Carlik Jones to do that, and as it turns out, I guess we weren't.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,271

Post#147 » by HomoSapien » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 pm

Personally, I think Terry Taylor has been solid out there. He’s absolutely undersized, but seems to constantly be in the middle of a lot activity. Also seems like a good rebounder with good hands.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#148 » by Bandit King » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:05 am

If Terry could learn to be a good PG and make hustle plays he can be a good player.

His strength is passing the ball.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Post#149 » by Brothaman33 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:35 am

Bandit King wrote:If Terry could learn to be a good PG and make hustle plays he can be a good player.

Yea this is where I sit with him.

To answer the question, no, I don't think he is an NBA level talent BUT, if I were to develope him...it would be as a large point forward who can handle the ball a bit a guard multiple positions. I would develope him as a PG.

I was trying to find comparisions... I was kinda thinking late Warriors Igoudala? Be smart, play D, handle the ball, only take open 3's at a...32, 33% clip?

I dunno, I just don't think he's talented enough.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
sco
RealGM

Post#150 » by sco » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Brothaman33 wrote:
Bandit King wrote:If Terry could learn to be a good PG and make hustle plays he can be a good player.

Yea this is where I sit with him.

To answer the question, no, I don't think he is an NBA level talent BUT, if I were to develope him...it would be as a large point forward who can handle the ball a bit a guard multiple positions. I would develope him as a PG.

I was trying to find comparisions... I was kinda thinking late Warriors Igoudala? Be smart, play D, handle the ball, only take open 3's at a...32, 33% clip?

I dunno, I just don't think he's talented enough.

I think his dribbling and passing skills are way ahead of his shooting. Ideally we can use him as expiring salary filler on a mid-season deal. Short of that, the best move is let him be the G-league PG and see how he progresses this season, and unless he achieves NBA level skill, just let his deal expire next offseason.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,967
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#151 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:36 pm

Welp, got your short term answer:

Read on Twitter

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#152 » by Risk Addict » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:14 pm

I like Demar. I think he is a good guy and a good player. I think you can win with him as a top 2 scoring option in the NBA today if surrounding him with the right pieces. That being said….

Of the guys that work out with him in the summer, do we see those players improve or regress? I feel like whatever he has guys doing may not actually help their games that much. Maybe we should have all our players go to Johnny dribble too much. At least they’d have an nba level skill then. I’d rather have a player get a less important skill than work on their weakness and show zero improvement
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,396

Post#153 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 am

Risk Addict wrote:I like Demar. I think he is a good guy and a good player. I think you can win with him as a top 2 scoring option in the NBA today if surrounding him with the right pieces. That being said….

Of the guys that work out with him in the summer, do we see those players improve or regress? I feel like whatever he has guys doing may not actually help their games that much. Maybe we should have all our players go to Johnny dribble too much. At least they’d have an nba level skill then. I’d rather have a player get a less important skill than work on their weakness and show zero improvement

Johnny is Demar and CP3 ball handing trainer
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,374

Post#154 » by kodo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 am

MalagaBulls wrote:Welp, got your short term answer:

Read on Twitter

I think it's best for Dalen. And if a 2nd year, mid 1st round NBA player doesn't absolutely just ball out against G-Leaguers that's pretty much the nail in the coffin. This is the league Carlik Jones torched.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#155 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:58 am

Read on Twitter

He needs to stay down there and be allowed to play consistently.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#156 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:59 am

kodo wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think it's best for Dalen. And if a 2nd year, mid 1st round NBA player doesn't absolutely just ball out against G-Leaguers that's pretty much the nail in the coffin. This is the league Carlik Jones torched.
Spoiler Alert: He won't. That's not his game nor is he capable of volume scoring, really at any level.

I imagine he'll average 12-14 PPG on below average efficiency, a good amount of turnovers, but also a decent amount of assists and rebounds.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#157 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:41 pm

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/chicago-bulls/__trashed-4/515534/

We have to decide on his 3rd-year player option by tomorrow. I think we'll pick it up, but we probably shouldn't. I do think he's at risk of not having his 4th-year option picked up next year if he isn't in the rotation or traded by then.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,983

Post#158 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:23 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/chicago-bulls/__trashed-4/515534/

We have to decide on his 3rd-year player option by tomorrow. I think we'll pick it up, but we probably shouldn't. I do think he's at risk of not having his 4th-year option picked up next year if he isn't in the rotation or traded by then.

I'd probably let him go now. He looks hopelessly far away from being an NBA player.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Post#159 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:15 pm

dougthonus wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/chicago-bulls/__trashed-4/515534/

I'd probably let him go now. He looks hopelessly far away from being an NBA player.

I think there's a very substantial chance that AK is going to do the right thing and decline his option tomorrow. I think that's why he's being sent down to Windy City.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#160 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm

League Circles wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I think there's a very substantial chance that AK is going to do the right thing and decline his option tomorrow. I think that's why he's being sent down to Windy City.

I think we'll pick up his 3rd-year option for two reasons: for AKME to save face and to use his contract as a small salary filler in a potential trade.

Return to Chicago Bulls