Image ImageImage Image

Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Re: Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges? 

Post#21 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:28 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MikeDC wrote:Charges are literally the best possible defensive play. It's like a steal, but the opponent also takes a PF.

And it often erases a basket or an offensive rebound put back.

I tried to find a way to calculate the value of a charge by using the NBA average points per possession - but given how many charges are drawn in the paint, on drives that would otherwise result in a rim attempt, that would vastly understate it. Then there’s the foul applied to the other player and team, like MikeDC said.

I’m sure someone put there has done a good value add analysis. Suffice to say they’re worth a lot.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,857

Post#22 » by kulaz3000 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:28 pm

Coby shouldn’t ever sprint, he may trip and fall. He should only ever be jogging around. No jumping either, just the occasional hop.
Why so serious?
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,017

Post#23 » by Bulliever2020 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:52 pm

How does this thread not have a poll?

And he obviously should keep taking charges.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#24 » by madvillian » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:54 pm

Yes. Next question.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,869

Post#25 » by DuckIII » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:32 pm

Bulliever2020 wrote:How does this thread not have a poll?

Do we really need one to know how lopsided it would be?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,017

Post#26 » by Bulliever2020 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:42 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:How does this thread not have a poll?

Do we really need one to know how lopsided it would be?

That's exactly why we need one. Who doesn't love a lopsided poll?

Pre-emptive "Thats what she said"
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,939

Post#27 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:46 pm

One of the worst threads of the year.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,869

Post#28 » by DuckIII » Sat Dec 9, 2023 10:21 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:One of the worst threads of the year.

Only 22 days left to top it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,779

Post#29 » by Dez » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:04 am

How often do players get steamrolled taking charges?

As soon as contact is made they fall to the floor to get the call.

Non-issue.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,751

Re: Should Coby Keep Taking Charges? 

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:31 am

Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:I think he should definitely keep taking them. They are huge moves that help win games. I'm OK with the risk. Maybe if he got injured multiple times from them then I'd want him to scale it back.

That is reasonable. I wish he would be a little more selective. I have seen that grimace on his face while grasping an elbow, or his chin, or another body part while getting up too many times already. If he keeps it up it is only a matter of time.

Weird thing is taking charges is a lot like taking defensive hits in football. Both of which I have done a lot because I was always only a physical player. That is all I offered and mostly on defense. I tore my ACL polaying offense running the ball and my ckleat getting stuck and my left leg standing straight up while my body hit the ground. I reinsured it cutting on an offensive play in basketball trying to cut bast a defender etc... before it was fully healed. Kinda like Boobie Miles (in the movie not IRL) (also I could never cut like that elite of an athlete Maybe I look like Lebron in an 80 and older league lol)

Taking a charge though you can generally fall well..l not saying there is no wear and tear there is but you are prepped for it. Caruso had his worst injury not on defense.

I get your point but the point of sports is sacrificing your body. D Rose most felt was going to get hurt but it was his reckless attacks against defenses, not him taking chargers. Anything up in the air seems more tragic than a planted charge IMHO.

All that being said I might be wrong and Maybe White suffers a major injury.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#31 » by MikeDC » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:19 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:I think he should definitely keep taking them. They are huge moves that help win games. I'm OK with the risk. Maybe if he got injured multiple times from them then I'd want him to scale it back.

That is reasonable. I wish he would be a little more selective. I have seen that grimace on his face while grasping an elbow, or his chin, or another body part while getting up too many times already. If he keeps it up it is only a matter of time.

Weird thing is taking charges is a lot like taking defensive hits in football. Both of which I have done a lot because I was always only a physical player. That is all I offered and mostly on defense. I tore my ACL polaying offense running the ball and my ckleat getting stuck and my left leg standing straight up while my body hit the ground. I reinsured it cutting on an offensive play in basketball trying to cut bast a defender etc... before it was fully healed. Kinda like Boobie Miles (in the movie not IRL) (also I could never cut like that elite of an athlete Maybe I look like Lebron in an 80 and older league lol)

Taking a charge though you can generally fall well..l not saying there is no wear and tear there is but you are prepped for it. Caruso had his worst injury not on defense.

I get your point but the point of sports is sacrificing your body. D Rose most felt was going to get hurt but it was his reckless attacks against defenses, not him taking chargers. Anything up in the air seems more tragic than a planted charge IMHO.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I can't ever remember a guy really getting seriously injured taking (or trying) to take a charge. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of a guy who really got messed up doing it.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#32 » by Bandit King » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:37 am

Sure why not?
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#33 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:07 am

MikeDC wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
DuckIII wrote:And good on DDR for taking that charge in the open court last night as well. That’s part of being a team player.

I didn't see the exact play, but Demar generally isn't reckless, so I expect it is "good on DDR".

DDR isn't a good defender, but he's historically a guy who takes great care of himself and he draws plenty of charges:

Last year
Caruso 14
DDR 13
Coby 8
PBev 7
I have been talking about DDR the whole thread. Already addressed this

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:09 am

MikeDC wrote:Charges are literally the best possible defensive play. It's like a steal, but the opponent also takes a PF.

This argument is just not one I can take seriously. But to the specifics, no, taking a charge is not specifically dangerous if you know what you're doing. If you do martial arts, one of the things you learn and practice is how to take a punch and how to fall down.

Like, I've probably spent hours learning how to fall down. Which sounds pretty damn silly, but it really does make a difference.

In the NBA, guys who take charges a lot, watch them. They know how to fall down right. It's like flopping. They do that too. But you learn how to absorb contact and how to be set right and how to land.

Knowing how to take a charge and being willing to do it makes a bad defender passable and makes good defenders great defenders.
Exactly. I already addressed this about Coby. He doesn't know how to take a charge the way Demar does.

Funny that NBA players think they are dangerous, but you have decided they aren't.

There is a reason less than 40 players have taken more than 2 charges this season.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#35 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:It's an interesting thought, but I disagree. For one, Coby doesn't seem injury prone in the way Caruso is. More generally, it's a basketball play and I don't think players should be discouraged from making basketball plays that help the team win. Driving to the basket and drawing contact is more likely to cause an injury than standing in the corner, and I don't think you'd encourage an offense that was just guys standing in place and passing the ball around the perimeter. So where do you draw the line?

Perhaps he could take charges in a better way that lessen the impact on his body, maybe it hurts and it affects his offensive capability. But I'd trust the basketball player to make that decision. Regardless, I like your thinking because it seems like Coby is really coming into his own on both ends...dare I say Pat Williams is too? This team is starting to become watchable again, please get Zach off the roster ASAP.
Well put. I just hate to see the one good thing happening for the Bulls right now laying on the floor in pain, and I have already seen it a few times with Coby.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#36 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:Hot take: charges shouldn't even be a thing
Yeah. Pretty much.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#37 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:12 am

kulaz3000 wrote:Coby shouldn’t ever sprint, he may trip and fall. He should only ever be jogging around. No jumping either, just the occasional hop.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply to all the actual information being given.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:13 am

Dez wrote:How often do players get steamrolled taking charges?

As soon as contact is made they fall to the floor to get the call.

Non-issue.
I'm not talking about "players". I'm talking about Coby.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#39 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

Lord I hope not. I'm not wishing it on him. It's the nature of some of the charges he has taken that scares me.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#40 » by Stratmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 am

MikeDC wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

Now that I'm thinking of it, I can't ever remember a guy really getting seriously injured taking (or trying) to take a charge. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of a guy who really got messed up doing it.
Again, already addressed this. Was never talking about long term injuries.

I have the numbers. The top 11 guys in taking charges have played less than 75% of their games so far this season. Not trying to say it is direct causality, but it's the best data available.

Players don't want to take them for a reason.

Return to Chicago Bulls