Image ImageImage Image

Update PG 4: Patrick Williams OUT For Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,120

Re: PWill will miss 2 weeks due to injury 

Post#21 » by Wingy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:00 pm

madvillian wrote:Sounds like this could be a 2-3 month injury. Just shut him down, trade Zach, and tank. Who the **** cares about a play in spot right now?

AK and the Bulls ‘don’t give a damn except for profits’ ownership group.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,782

Post#22 » by Ice Man » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:04 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Quick google- uh, he is either missing 2 weeks and coming back playing as immobile as ever, or this shall linger for the rest of the year.

The Bulls' statement about 2 weeks should be taken entirely literally. In 2 weeks, they will look at his foot again. That does not mean that he will be ready to play, or anything like that. It just means that they will look at his foot.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,736

Post#23 » by madvillian » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Quick google- uh, he is either missing 2 weeks and coming back playing as immobile as ever, or this shall linger for the rest of the year.

The Bulls' statement about 2 weeks should be taken entirely literally. In 2 weeks, they will look at his foot again. That does not mean that he will be ready to play, or anything like that. It just means that they will look at his foot.

From reading up on it online it sounds like a fairly serious response to injury in the tissue and bone in the foot and usually doesn't resolve itself for a couple months. I'd think 4 weeks would be the absolute best case. An informed guess would be 6-10 and closer to 10 than 6.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,918

Post#24 » by The Explorer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:28 pm

madvillian wrote:Sounds like this could be a 2-3 month injury. Just shut him down, trade Zach, and tank. Who the **** cares about a play in spot right now?

Tank for what though, another Dalen type? By most opinions, this draft is not producing anyone special.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#25 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:30 pm

Wingy wrote:Damn it, Thibs!!

They just signed Taj to a 10-day.

I saw that.. is that as a response to Randle having to miss some time?
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,191

Post#26 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:36 pm

I care. I'd much rather see what this team can do in the Playoffs and end up with the #15-#18 pick then tank like some losers and end up with the 11th pick.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#27 » by League Circles » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:39 pm

The idea that we need to brace for a big contract for Patrick should really be put to rest now. I don't care what comparable players may have gotten - it's very unlikely that someone with actual cap space is going to offer Patrick more than the MLE, so if we're smart, that's the MOST we should pay, if we should re-sign him at all.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#28 » by sco » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:45 pm

League Circles wrote:The idea that we need to brace for a big contract for Patrick should really be put to rest now. I don't care what comparable players may have gotten - it's very unlikely that someone with actual cap space is going to offer Patrick more than the MLE, so if we're smart, that's the MOST we should pay, if we should re-sign him at all.

Yeah, there's the silver lining in this. I'd be pretty happy to have him for 3-4 years for <$20M, closer to MLE is even better. I know many here are fixated on the #4 pick, but at this point I look at him as just another young FA with upside.
:clap:
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#29 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:49 pm

League Circles wrote:The idea that we need to brace for a big contract for Patrick should really be put to rest now. I don't care what comparable players may have gotten - it's very unlikely that someone with actual cap space is going to offer Patrick more than the MLE, so if we're smart, that's the MOST we should pay, if we should re-sign him at all.

I am not super concerned with whether the Bulls retain Williams at this point, but it's probably worth noting that Detroit could be a real risk to sign him for something above the MLE. They'll have plenty of cap space and have shown interest in the past. I agree the market for Pat won't be huge, but it just takes one team.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,022

Post#30 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:08 pm

Trying to do some research I ran into a few things that seemed interesting:

1: Saw one article basically referring to Acute Bone Edema as a Bone Bruise. Bone bruises have this super wild timeline of like a month to two years depending.

2: Saw another article about bone marrow edema, not sure if this is the same thing, but "bone edema" always ends up linking to bone marrow edema and acute bone edema is not a common search term except related to Pat Williams. With Bone marrow edema, saw a research paper saying that in athletes 50% can return to form in 6 months and 50% take longer. Saw various articles quoting anywhere from 3 months to 2 years for recovery time.

I'm hoping the fact that the Bulls used 2 weeks as a metric to look at his foot again to assume they think there is a chance he could play in two weeks based on the severity and not that in 2 weeks they'll just see how bad it still is and already know that there's basically no chance he'll play, because if it's the 2nd of those things and they framed it this way, that's an incredible disservice to Pat.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,120

Post#31 » by Wingy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:14 pm

The Explorer wrote:

Tank for what though, another Dalen type? By most opinions, this draft is not producing anyone special.

Can’t worry about “most opinions.”

Most opinions would have you take Hakeem over MJ.

Most opinions said you take Wiseman over Hali.

Most opinions had the 2021 draft as having an insanely stacked top 4, yet the only guy showing clear all star promise is the one guy who was prognosticated just outside that top 4.

Talent is there. Getting the right talent is the hard part, but it will undoubtedly be available.

Our sorry ass team can’t worry about “special.” Let’s start with “good.”
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,947

Post#32 » by ChettheJet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:14 pm

If teams made 10 day instant decisions that changed every 10 days like some people around here the names on the front office doors would be written in chalk.

I want to know who standing 6-9+ can the Bulls sign to a 10 day contract ? Answering my own question by asking, who is healthy and sitting around in shape

Kai Jones
TJ Warren
Isiah Todd
Frank Kaminsky
Justin Jackson
JayMichal Green
Darius Bazley
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,736

Post#33 » by madvillian » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 pm

dougthonus wrote:Trying to do some research I ran into a few things that seemed interesting:

1: Saw one article basically referring to Acute Bone Edema as a Bone Bruise. Bone bruises have this super wild timeline of like a month to two years depending.

2: Saw another article about bone marrow edema, not sure if this is the same thing, but "bone edema" always ends up linking to bone marrow edema and acute bone edema is not a common search term except related to Pat Williams. With Bone marrow edema, saw a research paper saying that in athletes 50% can return to form in 6 months and 50% take longer. Saw various articles quoting anywhere from 3 months to 2 years for recovery time.

I'm hoping the fact that the Bulls used 2 weeks as a metric to look at his foot again to assume they think there is a chance he could play in two weeks based on the severity and not that in 2 weeks they'll just see how bad it still is and already know that there's basically no chance he'll play, because if it's the 2nd of those things and they framed it this way, that's an incredible disservice to Pat.

It's probably in the extreme mild end of the cases if they are evaluating in 2 weeks. I think my prediction (of course I do!) of 6-10 weeks makes the most sense. Maybe he returns in March.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#34 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:17 pm

dougthonus wrote:Trying to do some research I ran into a few things that seemed interesting:

I wonder whether this two week initial period is in part just to punt addressing it until after the trade deadline, but without admitting that he might get shut down for an extended period. To the extent the Bulls try to trade for a PF in light of the Pat and Craig injuries (and other teams sensing that the Bulls want to be "competitive"), I suppose you could look pretty darned desperate for a PF right now, and that could influence negotiations.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,704

Post#35 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:57 pm

Not that I think AKME would trade him, but this sucks since now Pat is likely out past the trade deadline and IMO trading him is the right move.

It also sucks for the team to lose a 3&D guy and the only non-center with some size, even if he doesn't really use said size.
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 846

Post#36 » by ChiefILL53 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:03 pm

ChettheJet wrote:If teams made 10 day instant decisions that changed every 10 days like some people around here the names on the front office doors would be written in chalk.

I want to know who standing 6-9+ can the Bulls sign to a 10 day contract ? Answering my own question by asking, who is healthy and sitting around in shape

Kai Jones
TJ Warren
Isiah Todd
Frank Kaminsky
Justin Jackson
JayMichal Green
Darius Bazley

I'm still waiting for them to sign someone over 6'8 to fill the PF spot too. I just dont think it's gonna happen.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,245

Post#37 » by Red8911 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 pm

Patrick has been terrible lately, this was probably the reason why. Hopefully it’s only 2-3 weeks and he recovers.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,437

Post#38 » by drosestruts » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:22 pm

I know people tend to think "stuff like this only happens to us" - was just reading about Tari Eason on the Rockets who's been "day-to-day" since the beginning of January.

Fans are frustrated as theirs been no update and he's just continually listed as day-to-day for what's now been an entire month.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,382

Post#39 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Wingy wrote:
Now they’ll rush Craig back and effectively end his career.

We’ll see some more Julian Phillips I suppose.

This has happens too often. I would bet any money you will soon hear stories about how Craig is ahead of schedule and maybe back soon. :banghead:

The reason why these players want to come back earlier is because they want to fight with their teammates. Caruso did this ALOT in his first season here. He kept coming back early because we also didnt have Lonzo. But it just made him worse and made him sit longer.

You shouldn't rush foot injuries. Craig comes back early, and reaggravate it, then he's done for the year.

If there is ever a year it would be ok to pack it in, its this year. We have our draft pick. Hopefully more with a Zach deal. Then build up some capital on the roster.

Read on Twitter

like clockwork
The Cult of Personality
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#40 » by Ben » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:41 am

kodo wrote:I'm not worried long term, but it probably severely hurts his chances of proving he's worth a $100M contract because there won't be many games left to significantly alter his season averages, and he's been almost identical every season for 4 years now in ppg/rpg/apg.

DuckIII wrote:Bad news for Pat, but could be good news for us with regard to his next contract. Also good to get more floor time for Phillips and Terry. None of these games matter anyway, so more run for the youngters is always a plus.

sco wrote:

Yeah, there's the silver lining in this. I'd be pretty happy to have him for 3-4 years for <$20M, closer to MLE is even better. I know many here are fixated on the #4 pick, but at this point I look at him as just another young FA with upside.

I think that all you guys have it right on the money, and while I feel bad for Pat as a person, there's enough bad news in the world so I'm going positive with this (from a team perspective). I've never thought super highly of Pat b/c of his draft position (which of course wasn't his fault) and b/c IMO he's a tweener forward who doesn't do any one thing super well. But he does do the 3D thing, and obviously such players can be very important IF they don't cost too much.

Consistent with what Duck wrote in a thread a couple of months ago, it seemed pretty likely back then that at least one desperate team with capspace would make Pat a big FA offer that I wouldn't want the Bulls to match. But if he can be kept for a reasonable price tag it could be a real boon for the team. And heck, he's still going to make a lot more money than I ever will.

Return to Chicago Bulls