Image ImageImage Image

PG: Bulls Beat Charlotte

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Re: PG: Bulls Beat Charlotte 

Post#21 » by BullChit » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:52 am

sco wrote:Good to see we care enough to have a PG thread.

Despite it being a depleted CHA team, I had this as a Bulls L after last night. Our guys looked gassed again. So gutty win.

Coby played great. Total nitpick on a superb game, but he needs to learn when it's better to keep it (he err's on the side of passing) because passing to guys like Taylor in the corner or Vuc at the top of the arc isn't doing anybody any favors.

Caruso was awesome. Just a joy to watch. We'll never get fair value for this dude.

Ayo was so tired he must of have thought he was playing at home because he had a rare good road game. Ayo frustrates the crap out of me. He just goes through these stints where he's passive, but when he attacks the paint, it changes his whole mindset - he gets his defense going, he starts making 3's, but it needs to start with attacking the paint. It would be so great if he could just stay consistent. I know some of it is being relegated to a bench role, but man, if he could just gain that consistency.

Demar looks pooped.

Vuc looks like poop.

Big Dave on CHGO said sometimes Coby needs to forget the right play and make the White play.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,365

Post#22 » by kodo » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:34 am

Coby played great. Total nitpick on a superb game, but he needs to learn when it's better to keep it (he err's on the side of passing) because passing to guys like Taylor in the corner or Vuc at the top of the arc isn't doing anybody any favors.

Coby is averaging 5 apg...if he passes less that makes him a higher scoring but lower assist player...maybe 22 ppg 4 apg ... isn't that just Zach Lavine on his original contract?
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,925

Post#23 » by RSP83 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:15 am

BullChit wrote:
RSP83 wrote:There's a question in the GT, can you see Coby and Ayo as starting backcourt in contending team?

Yes, if you have a center piece like Wemby. Honestly I think if you plug Ayo and Coby to teams with elite center piece like Nuggets, Sixers, Bucks, I think they can help maintain championship level contention for those teams.

First thought I had was Embiid which made me ask the question would Coby/Ayo be a better starting back court with Embiid than Maxey/Melton...

I will sound like a homer, but I honestly don't think there will be significant difference switching Maxey/Melton to Coby/Ayo. I think both Maxey and Melton look a lot better playing next to Embiid caliber player.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,993

Post#24 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:09 am

Red8911 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
sco wrote:Good to see we care enough to have a PG thread.

Despite it being a depleted CHA team, I had this as a Bulls L after last night. Our guys looked gassed again. So gutty win.

Caruso was awesome. Just a joy to watch. We'll never get fair value for this dude.

Ayo was so tired he must of have thought he was playing at home because he had a rare good road game. Ayo frustrates the crap out of me. He just goes through these stints where he's passive, but when he attacks the paint, it changes his whole mindset - he gets his defense going, he starts making 3's, but it needs to start with attacking the paint. It would be so great if he could just stay consistent. I know some of it is being relegated to a bench role, but man, if he could just gain that consistency.

Demar looks pooped.

Vuc looks like poop.

If we had a PG, like a Lonzo Ball type, that type of PG could get him going in transition early and then look for him throughout the game.

Of course, we knew we didn't have that guy about 24 months ago to the date or something and AKME are still sitting on the pot.

Everyone talks about a PG like Lonzo but to be honest there’s not that many pass first PGs anymore. It’s like a dying breed unfortunately. Chris Paul is probably the last star that plays this style. Many PGs are similar to basically what Coby is.

Hali?
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#25 » by Jvaughn » Thu Feb 1, 2024 12:38 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
If we had a PG, like a Lonzo Ball type, that type of PG could get him going in transition early and then look for him throughout the game.

Of course, we knew we didn't have that guy about 24 months ago to the date or something and AKME are still sitting on the pot.

Everyone talks about a PG like Lonzo but to be honest there’s not that many pass first PGs anymore. It’s like a dying breed unfortunately. Chris Paul is probably the last star that plays this style. Many PGs are similar to basically what Coby is.

For our team, Lonzo's value went beyond his passing honestly.

- We're undersized, so Lonzo being a 6'7" point guard made us play bigger.
- Pat sucks at rebounding, which Lonzo helped hide.
- DDR doesn't shoot enough threes, but Lonzo bailed him out by being a high-volume shooter.
- Zach is a shakey ball-handler, and had to do that far less with Lonzo.
- Vuc, DDR, and Zach are all meh defenders. Lonzo was great on d.

He just covered a lot of guys' holes. I think that's in part why we had a boost with Beverly even though his numbers were bad. He also covered a lot of those boxes (defense, passing, rebounding, ball-handling). Last year, we should have readjusted the game plan and found a lengthy defender at the 4 and a high-volume shooter at the one. Trying to play the same way, but without Lonzo is just an idiotic game plan.

Honestly if the price tag isn't too much, nabbing Brogdon fills a lot of those holes too. And he's only got one more year on that contract, so it's a pretty solid deal.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#26 » by MissileMike » Thu Feb 1, 2024 12:45 pm

Ayo has 9 games in a row in double figure scoring.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#27 » by Ctownbulls » Thu Feb 1, 2024 12:54 pm

kodo wrote:

Coby is averaging 5 apg...if he passes less that makes him a higher scoring but lower assist player...maybe 22 ppg 4 apg ... isn't that just Zach Lavine on his original contract?

No. All 22 and 4 players aren't interchangeable.
wolffy
Rookie
And1: 620

Post#28 » by wolffy » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:04 pm

I had to watch the second half on replay with Hornets announcers. They had a lot of praise for Coby, how decisive and relentless he was with pressuring the defense on almost every possession. Of course its in Carolina and an example of a good game but it's good to hear.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#29 » by FriedRise » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:29 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=xOB22xGd85UcfRRu6zUm4w

Plays like this are why I’m starting to enjoy this season. It’s a fun brand of basketball and we’re seeing these types if sequences nearly every game now.

Tired DeMar is good DeMar. He only took 10 shots yesterday and had a usage of 18%. Obviously the back to back had a lot to do with it, but him stepping back like that allowed other players to contribute and the ball to move.

Give him a similar situation like in the Toronto game, and that 100% would've been him walking the ball up, initiating the offense, dribbling in, and then taking the shot.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,373

Post#30 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:29 pm

Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,373

Post#31 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:34 pm

I think the stat is also misleading a bit.

We were fully healthy last year and were 23-26. This year we have been ravaged with injuries and have the same record.

But the real record under the radar, is actually we are 13 - 10 without Zach.
The Cult of Personality
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,427

Post#32 » by drosestruts » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:35 pm

Big bounce back win - shows mental toughness that I think that team has certainly lacked at times.

Nice to see Coby being the one to step up and lead the way too.

I think it's silly to downplay any win (hello Bucks vs Blazers).

This is the NBA, we went on the road on the 2nd night of a back-to-back, short-handed, and won. That's a good thing and deserves praise.

Coby is clearly capable of great games. The next step is doing it consistently. Hopefully he can start getting some very deserved calls too, he's taking enough contact to warrant a whistle on a lot of his drives.

Gotta shout out Ayo too - he stepped up as well.

In my "am I reading too much into it" moment - there was a play in the 1st or 2nd where Vuc got knocked to the ground. Raised his hands for help up, and just no one came over to him. Is the team as over Vuc as I am, or am I just projecting my feelings?
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,103

Post#33 » by Wingy » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:10 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing.

Now that’s what I call continuity.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#34 » by FriedRise » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:26 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know you are who your record says you are - and I know KC's tweet there carries an underlying continuity joke somewhere - but for this team I feel like we HAVE to throw out the first 19 games of the season.

For some of us masochists who actually watched every Bulls game this year (and almost quitting at different points), you can clearly tell that was a completely different team that started the year. We weren't competitive after the 1st quarter most nights regardless who we were playing. At halftime, we'd barely have 35 points. The flip has been night and day. It's not just 1 player getting unsustainably hot, or role guys who can't/won't miss from 3, or a clear health advantage. In fact, we have players who've gone through various levels of shooting slump including Coby at various points and Vooch's season-long, historically bad 3pt shooting - not to mention a guaranteed $60M-in-street-clothes disadvantage every game.

We have more games in the season now that show we're closer to the group that's gone 18-10 since. If they just started the year like that, we'd have closer to 30 wins.

But the true test will come now. After a very long stretch of playing bad teams, the schedule is about to get a lot harder. I wanna see if they can get up for games that matter in the seeding, like the upcoming ones against Orlando and Atlanta. Or if they're still gonna look mismatched against the upper echelon teams like Minnesota and Boston. Can they finally beat Cleveland? I feel like LeBron's Cavs were easier to beat than this Strus/Mitchell/Allen iteration.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,937

Post#35 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:45 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

Say the line, Bart!
Guru
Starter
And1: 223

Post#36 » by Guru » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:48 pm

18-12?
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#37 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:10 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

Say the line, Bart!
Woozle wuzzle?
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,944

Post#38 » by ChettheJet » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:20 pm

I guess DeRozan just didn't have it to give, he looked like he was sleepwalking. There were times in the last 2 games I thought Zach was out there not Demar turning the ball over.

As the game wore on I started to get the impression that Miles Bridges was auditioning for the Bulls, either to make a trade this year or look to sign him over the summer. He looked like a guy who was demonstrating that all the guards the Bulls could throw at him weren't going to stop him, that Patrick Williams was missing piece that could stay with him and if they were the starting forwards next year it would be a show.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#39 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:33 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I guess DeRozan just didn't have it to give, he looked like he was sleepwalking. There were times in the last 2 games I thought Zach was out there not Demar turning the ball over.

As the game wore on I started to get the impression that Miles Bridges was auditioning for the Bulls, either to make a trade this year or look to sign him over the summer. He looked like a guy who was demonstrating that all the guards the Bulls could throw at him weren't going to stop him, that Patrick Williams was missing piece that could stay with him and if they were the starting forwards next year it would be a show.

Keep that woman beater away from the squad
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#40 » by Stratmaster » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:54 pm

kodo wrote:

Not even

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Chicago Bulls