Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,963

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#21 » by Dresden » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:41 pm

HearshotKDS wrote:
molepharmer wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure what I'm more impressed by, Latu beating blocks all the time or Williams' ability to make Latu miss while in the pocket.

Williams has that Aaron Rodgers-esque greased pig in the pocket evasion that was so frustrating to watch for a decade+. He's not as athletic as Fields is but he looks a lot more savvy in using his legs and navigating within pocket, were going to see a lot more clips like these where you could basically put Benny Hill music on in the background and feel bad for the DL. It would be nice to be on the good end of that scenario for once.

Latu looks like King Kong in these clips, and he sheds blockers like it too. As for his medical concerns, they may not be as serious as all that. Or then again they could be. But people were hesitant to draft Michael Porter Jr due to his back problems, and outside of one season, he's been fine. So it doesn't necessarily mean he's a big risk medically. But the doctors will figuire that out.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,597

Post#22 » by fleet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:04 pm

Latu’s hands are superb. Wish they were paired with an improved bull rush. He is sort of of a Jared Allen-ish type character.

If you want to spend a half hour watching Latu go after the quarterback:

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 910

Post#23 » by HearshotKDS » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 pm

fleet wrote:Latu’s hands are superb. Wish they were paired with an improved bull rush. He is sort of of a Jared Allen-ish type character.

I see a Trey Hendrickson clone,they have remarkably similar builds (Latu is a tiny bit longer and lighter), athletic testing (Trey is a hair more explosive), and play style (they are almost mirrors of eachother).

I couldnt find any Trey focused all 22 but its obvious enough in the NFL highlights - he's #91. Similar to what Kollman mentions in his video, CIN basically doesnt ask Trey to set the edge they ask him to just penetrate on runs and shade the box S over him to effectively prepare for/handle runs that get outside.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#24 » by Dresden » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:1) we (the non-elites) haven't been going backwards for decades. we've flatlined while the rich have gotten much richer. the national wealth has more than DOUBLED (adjusted for inflation!). and the wealthy have gotten all of it. DESPITE longer hours being worked

2) definitely harder for younger people debt-wise. the value of a degree has gone DOWN despite skyrocketing tuition. but they're starting out with higher salaries (again, adjusted for inflation). and, of course, society is much better in some ways than it was decades ago. but the wealth gap combined with out culture of wealth flaunting makes most people FEEL like they're going backwards

Going backwards is probably a relative term.

If you view all the people in this country, the middle class has been shrinking in size and relative power to the upper class for decades. I would call that going backwards.

Has technology made it so that even with that gap that absolute quality of environment is higher? Yes, absolutely true. That said, most people probably measure on a relative vs an absolute scale. (ie, we look at what we have relative to others, not relative to a less technologically advanced society from 30 years ago).

That said, it's not changing any time soon. AI is going to exacerbate the problem massively. The wealthy fully control all the politicians that would theoretically have the power to change it. It's hilarious how little we punish the wealthy for major crimes because they can buy their way out of everything too, but it is what it is, powerful people have no real rules. It's always been that way, we just pretend it isn't sometimes.

I know this OT, but just curious how you think technology has offset the decline in purchasing power? It's been well documented that social media seems to have a detrimental effect on our well being. We have nicer TV's, nicer cars, a lot of gadgets are cheaper (but don't last as long), but have these things made our lives that much better? If you look at the levels of depression and anxiety, it doesn't seem to be so. Medicine might be one area where technology has improved lives (for those who can afford it), but on the other hand the decline in our diets and lifestyles (due in part to the prevalence of technology) have offset those benefits.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#25 » by fleet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:32 pm

HearshotKDS wrote:
fleet wrote:Latu’s hands are superb. Wish they were paired with an improved bull rush. He is sort of of a Jared Allen-ish type character.

I see a Trey Hendrickson clone,they have remarkably similar builds (Latu is a tiny bit longer and lighter), athletic testing (Trey is a hair more explosive), and play style (they are almost mirrors of eachother).

I couldnt find any Trey focused all 22 but its obvious enough in the NFL highlights - he's #91. Similar to what Kollman mentions in his video, CIN basically doesnt ask Trey to set the edge they ask him to just penetrate on runs and shade the box S over him to effectively prepare for/handle runs that get outside.

Not a bad pull. The combine athleticism drills and measurements didn’t help Latu. The 40 speed did help. Where I land on the big 3 edge names…I would draft Turner at 9, I would trade down for Verse or Latu. Verse anywhere down to 15, Latu in the bottom 1/3 of first round, to the top of second round. But Latu would have more competition for his draft spot. Guys like Darius Robinson, Chop, JPJ, receivers.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,925

Post#26 » by dougthonus » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm

Dresden wrote:I know this OT, but just curious how you think technology has offset the decline in purchasing power? It's been well documented that social media seems to have a detrimental effect on our well being. We have nicer TV's, nicer cars, a lot of gadgets are cheaper (but don't last as long), but have these things made our lives that much better? If you look at the levels of depression and anxiety, it doesn't seem to be so. Medicine might be one area where technology has improved lives (for those who can afford it), but on the other hand the decline in our diets and lifestyles (due in part to the prevalence of technology) have offset those benefits.

I had a medical condition that if I had 50 years ago, I'd be dead right now, so I feel the value of technology pretty specifically :lol:

The rest of what you said is just a different debate about the direction of society while I was just speaking materially. Your debate is probably more important than mine.

I could go into long nuanced discussions about all the things you named because I'm passionate about these topics, but in deference to the Bears I won't dig down that rabbit hole here :lol:
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#27 » by fleet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:49 pm

The terms have different interpretations, but my general impression broadly speaking, our quality of life/standard of living improves, while our relative economic status declines against the upper classes, income gaps expand. However, big ticket items like new cars and housing are harder to buy. If that continues, one might think lack of housing will eventually impact standard of living measures.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,593

Post#28 » by dice » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:33 pm

JockItch43 wrote:
dice wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:

JJ going before our pick is huge too if we are hoping a guy like Alt or Turner falls to us or really any of these top end guys. If he falls to 9 we have to listen to offers at that point to trade down. He's the wildcard for sure.

The Allen trade was huge because now we can be much more flexible in the direction we go.

we still need a starting WR (particularly long-term) and we still need a starting EDGE. so the allen trade didn't do much at all draft-wise...except take away a draft pick

Agreed but the whole point was to do their best to ensure CW has adequate weaponry to set him up for success as best as they can since they have so much riding on the decision they made with the QB position. Trading a 4th for a 2nd number one receiver makes it far less of a need to draft a blue chip WR guy to get that 2nd elite WR since we already have that in the bag. We still need a 3rd receiver, I agree, as I doubt they will count on Scott for that, but that guy can be had later in the draft or via other means if they decide to go BPA at 9 and favor a OT or Edge there at 9 instead of a WR.

While Allen isn't a long term solution I get that, but at the minimum he buys us another year to find that WR1b to Moore's WR1a if they choose to go edge or OT instead with that 9th overall either at 9 or with a trade back.

already had more than adequate weaponry. ideally we'd have signed a younger FA WR w/ the ability to slide into either the WR2 or WR3 depending on if odunze falls to us. and used the 4th rounder. and employed the same strategy w/ EDGE in case odunze DOESN'T fall to us. there were solid options at both positions

i suspect that poles lost out on a lot of FA negotiations and had to instead dump a draft pick to use up a bunch of cap space
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM

Post#29 » by Dresden » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:50 pm

dice wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:
dice wrote:we still need a starting WR (particularly long-term) and we still need a starting EDGE. so the allen trade didn't do much at all draft-wise...except take away a draft pick

Agreed but the whole point was to do their best to ensure CW has adequate weaponry to set him up for success as best as they can since they have so much riding on the decision they made with the QB position. Trading a 4th for a 2nd number one receiver makes it far less of a need to draft a blue chip WR guy to get that 2nd elite WR since we already have that in the bag. We still need a 3rd receiver, I agree, as I doubt they will count on Scott for that, but that guy can be had later in the draft or via other means if they decide to go BPA at 9 and favor a OT or Edge there at 9 instead of a WR.

While Allen isn't a long term solution I get that, but at the minimum he buys us another year to find that WR1b to Moore's WR1a if they choose to go edge or OT instead with that 9th overall either at 9 or with a trade back.

already had more than adequate weaponry. ideally we'd have signed a younger FA WR w/ the ability to slide into either the WR2 or WR3 depending on if odunze falls to us. and used the 4th rounder. and employed the same strategy w/ EDGE in case odunze DOESN'T fall to us. there were solid options at both positions

i suspect that poles lost out on a lot of FA negotiations and had to instead dump a draft pick to use up a bunch of cap space

Poles took advantage of the Chargers being in a cap bind due to a few high priced vets, and got one of the premier WR's for the cost of a 4th round pick. He wisely had hoarded cap space so was able to absorb the contract. A younger Allen would have tied us into a long term deal at a very high rate. As it is, we had the cap space this year and after that we can negotiate a better rate going forward with him.

We did not have enough WR's prior to getting Allen. We had DJ and who else? We would have been forced to use a high pick on another WR.

Another overlooked fact is the comfort level a player of Allen's experience and skills brings to a young QB. It will make a huge difference in helping Caleb in his development this first year.
dice
RealGM

Post#30 » by dice » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm

sco wrote:
dice wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:[/b]

We've been going backwards for decades. No matter who is in nominal power. The politicians and the economic elites get ever richer, while we all see our standard of living dropping because we are losing out to inflation. Young people today have it far worse than I did at the same age. Huge student loan debt. Rents and housing prices out of control. They can't form families or buy houses like was once the case. This isn't a political observation. It's a statement of reality.

1) we (the non-elites) haven't been going backwards for decades. we've flatlined while the rich have gotten much richer. the national wealth has more than DOUBLED (adjusted for inflation!). and the wealthy have gotten all of it. DESPITE longer hours being worked

2) definitely harder for younger people debt-wise. the value of a degree has gone DOWN despite skyrocketing tuition. but they're starting out with higher salaries (again, adjusted for inflation). and, of course, society is much better in some ways than it was decades ago. but the wealth gap combined with out culture of wealth flaunting makes most people FEEL like they're going backwards

it largely comes back to union participation:

No argument on the growing disparity and the impact that declining union participation plays, but I think that a factor that you fail to mention is that much of the decline in union participation came with exporting of union jobs overseas. And I am a fan of the benefits that organized labor, but until we can solve for the impact that some other country with even more exploitable labor forces, the race to lower minimum pay will continue regardless of how many here join unions. The real issues with jobs going overseas are rising healthcare costs and pension costs (which came about because we keep living longer - so not all bad).

globalization has no doubt played a major role. there has also been a concerted effort to both demonize unions and create legal obstacles to the freedom to collectively bargain. when it is illegal for unions to collect dues from those who want to benefit but not pay...kinda hard to operate

health care costs: businesses should be out of the health coverage business! single payer government health care solves that problem. get rid of the insurance companies. nobody should have to deal with them and their enormously profitable, expensive, destructive effect on the nation's health either. both businesses and the general population would greatly benefit. if a public option had gotten into obamacare it'd be a whole different ballgame. but the late, no-so-great (to be charitable) joe lieberman had something to say about that

and their shouldn't be an artificial retirement age either. medicare/SS for all with a universal basic income. no more financial incentive to retire. but that's another discussion

The same can be said for the highest paid people. If we create a big tax or cap disparity vs. other countries, those jobs/people will go overseas as well; although, IMO, there is still room there to do some leveling to be sure.

if people who are being taxed appropriately (whatever society determines that to be) want to leave, that is their prerogative. a new equilibrium will take place

europeans are taxed more than us and aren't exactly clamoring to come here. on a federal level there's plenty of room to raise personal income tax rates w/o fear of some mass exodus. at the state level it becomes a concern, though even california does not appear to regret their tax hike decisions. illinois would have greatly benefitted from the "fair tax", but of course the monied interests flooded the airwaves w/ disingenuous ads that convinced even some intelligent posters here that it could somehow be used against the middle class. which is laughably ignorant. no politician who wants to keep her job would make tax rates higher on the middle class than on the wealthy. maybe such a system exists somewhere in the world, but i've certainly never heard of it.
the intent of the effort to allow a tiered system in illinois was stupifyingly obvious. those who voted against the "fair tax" effectively voted THEMSELVES an eventual property tax hike if their community would ever be in need of state funding and couldn't get enough. and maybe a state-wide income tax hike as well. because, you see, the politicians have ALWAYS had the ability to raise taxes on the middle class. they don't wanna freaking do it!

and by the way...the roughly flatlined middle class income since the late '70s? largely due to the increased cost of healthcare! our total salary and benefits package has gone up substantially...but only because the price of health care has! don't make businesses pay for health care, then watch salaries go up. and at a significantly higher rate than the federal tax increases necessary for an expanded public health care system

Now on your education point, while our Universities are the best in the world, their system is broken. There, the system is become too expensive with the pension plans for faculty outpacing inflation by a lot. I personally think, rather than the Gov't paying for the cost of college, it should create a massive online school that is free for all to compete with colleges. Technology is there. The cost would be a lot less and it could help a lot more people. My personal POV is that way too much of the cost of college is tied to "the college experience", which has gone way too upscale with student housing and meal costs, coupled with a party culture that works against the education side.

i've read that administrative bloat is a big part of it
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
da pmp
Senior
And1: 169

Post#31 » by da pmp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 pm

Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR. I think the Searstower guy on twitter likes taking BTJR @9.
dice
RealGM

Post#32 » by dice » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 pm

da pmp wrote:Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR.

there's one i haven't heard
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#33 » by Jimako10 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:48 pm

dice wrote:
da pmp wrote:Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR.

How are we going to fill 4 more weeks until the draft?

Thoughtful and nuanced debate about current economic conditions and how they are intertwined with today's politics, that's how.

It's either that or Caleb's fingernails.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#34 » by fleet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:00 pm

da pmp wrote:Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR. I think the Searstower guy on twitter likes taking BTJR @9.

The account was deactivated. Somehow he and Greg Gabriel got into it, and the end result was that Sears Tower deactivated. Fields/Williams related? I can't piece together what happened. Something about Greg accusing ST of misrepresenting as an insider. Or improper behavior. But it is also clear that Gabriel is taking a lot of incoming over his failed Justin Fields/Caleb Williams predictions. What a family feud man.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#35 » by NecessaryEvil » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,086

Post#36 » by NZB2323 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:36 pm

Dresden wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:1) we (the non-elites) haven't been going backwards for decades. we've flatlined while the rich have gotten much richer. the national wealth has more than DOUBLED (adjusted for inflation!). and the wealthy have gotten all of it. DESPITE longer hours being worked

If you view all the people in this country, the middle class has been shrinking in size and relative power to the upper class for decades. I would call that going backwards.

Has technology made it so that even with that gap that absolute quality of environment is higher? Yes, absolutely true. That said, most people probably measure on a relative vs an absolute scale. (ie, we look at what we have relative to others, not relative to a less technologically advanced society from 30 years ago).

That said, it's not changing any time soon. AI is going to exacerbate the problem massively. The wealthy fully control all the politicians that would theoretically have the power to change it. It's hilarious how little we punish the wealthy for major crimes because they can buy their way out of everything too, but it is what it is, powerful people have no real rules. It's always been that way, we just pretend it isn't sometimes.

I know this OT, but just curious how you think technology has offset the decline in purchasing power? It's been well documented that social media seems to have a detrimental effect on our well being. We have nicer TV's, nicer cars, a lot of gadgets are cheaper (but don't last as long), but have these things made our lives that much better? If you look at the levels of depression and anxiety, it doesn't seem to be so. Medicine might be one area where technology has improved lives (for those who can afford it), but on the other hand the decline in our diets and lifestyles (due in part to the prevalence of technology) have offset those benefits.

I’d highly recommend “The Blue Zones: living to 100” on Netflix. This guys visits places in the world where people live to be 100. The first 3, Okinawa, a small island in the Mediterranean, and Nicaragua, don’t have a ton of technology. They don’t have ride-on lawnmowers, which cause Americans to get fat, like Wally, and lead to heart disease and weak lower bodies, and lot of American die from falling over.

They also don’t have fast food.
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,002

Post#37 » by MisterRoy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Jimako10 wrote:
dice wrote:

Thoughtful and nuanced debate about current economic conditions and how they are intertwined with today's politics, that's how.

Who wins in a super soaker battle? CW or DDR?

Sent from somewhere you’ve never been.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#38 » by fleet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:56 pm

Jimako10 wrote:
dice wrote:

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#39 » by fleet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:56 am

Caleb didn’t focus on prep for his pro day, despite that curious explanation for bypassing the early Chicago trip. And, Caleb is different than the other quarterbacks.

Now, the baseline for the whole thing goes back to what Williams’s throwing coach, Will Hewlett, was looking to showcase with the script—which was more of the routine stuff, while leaving the spectacular, as our second coach noted, on the three years of game tape the 2022 Heisman winner has already compiled.

Hewlett has done work on Williams going back to middle school, when fellow quarterbacking guru Chris Baucia used him as a second set of eyes on the young prodigy. In December, Williams brought Hewlett in to set up his draft prep, and the two decided, jointly, to focus more on getting Williams ready for the NFL than a combine or pro day throwing session, which is similar to the approach Ohio State wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. has taken.

And with all that creativity and horsepower already known, Hewlett wanted to showcase another of Williams’s special traits—the control that the second coach mentioned, and how he uses it to change speeds. Hewlett told me that in motion-capture testing, most quarterbacks he sees have a speed range of about 4 mph, say with a low of 47 and a high of 51, in how they throw the ball in real drills. Williams’s range is a full 10 mph—from 46 to 56—giving him the ability to change speeds and manipulate situations.

“It’s an unbelievable level of control, his ability to throttle it, and we’ve consciously worked on that,” Hewlett says. And that is what they wanted to showcase Wednesday.

“We wanted to show a varied level of velocity on throws,” Hewlett continued. “He has one of the strongest arms out there, so we were showcasing his ability to change tempo and his launch point. … We did talk about it—Do we do a walkoff throw? We discussed it, and it came back to, a fan during the season is clicking on USC highlights to see what Caleb did.

“There’s such an abundance of it out there, there’s no need to recreate it on air. And that brought us back to, Let’s just take a business-like approach to this.”

Some people liked it. Others less so. And in the end, none of it will really change where he winds up going on the night of April 25

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/caleb-williams-top-pick-2024-nfl-draft-coaches-say-takeaways/stats
Dresden
RealGM

Post#40 » by Dresden » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:04 am

NZB2323 wrote:
Dresden wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I’d highly recommend “The Blue Zones: living to 100” on Netflix. This guys visits places in the world where people live to be 100. The first 3, Okinawa, a small island in the Mediterranean, and Nicaragua, don’t have a ton of technology. They don’t have ride-on lawnmowers, which cause Americans to get fat, like Wally, and lead to heart disease and weak lower bodies, and lot of American die from falling over.

They also don’t have fast food.

I've seen 3-4 of those episodes. Good show- seems to be a combination of things that leads to such long lives- part diet (not much meat, little processed food), part lifestyle (lots of exercise), and part community/faith. Good lessons to be learned.

Return to Chicago Bulls