Image ImageImage Image

Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,571

Re: Calipari done at UK. 5 year deal with Arkansas 

Post#21 » by JimmyButler21 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:39 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Billy is making $6 million per year in Chicago, while Cal was making $8.5 million at Kentucky. So there's that consideration too.

The only issue is i think Billy didn't like recruiting and that was before NIL money was a thing.

I actually think NIL money makes the job a bit easier, especially at a place like Kentucky which is likely flowing with NIL donors. But the pressure of the job at Lexington is a bit more than the pressure in Chicago right now. At Chicago you can finish with 40 wins and have great job security while Kentucky will turn on you without doing anything in the NCAA Tournament.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,862

Post#22 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:52 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Billy is making $6 million per year in Chicago, while Cal was making $8.5 million at Kentucky. So there's that consideration too.

The only issue is i think Billy didn't like recruiting and that was before NIL money was a thing.

I actually think NIL money makes the job a bit easier, especially at a place like Kentucky which is likely flowing with NIL donors. But the pressure of the job at Lexington is a bit more than the pressure in Chicago right now. At Chicago you can finish with 40 wins and have great job security while Kentucky will turn on you without doing anything in the NCAA Tournament.

The problem isn't the amount of money a school might have its the power it gives to the players.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#23 » by MissileMike » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:54 pm

BD makes a lot of sense and maybe he will take the job. As others have said, he's not the problem here- the roster is.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#24 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:55 pm

MissileMike wrote:BD makes a lot of sense and maybe he will take the job. As others have said, he's not the problem here- the roster is.

Good coach horrible fit for this roster.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,860

Post#25 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:59 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
MissileMike wrote:BD makes a lot of sense and maybe he will take the job. As others have said, he's not the problem here- the roster is.

There is no such thing as a good fit for this roster. Considering how BD was able to keep it afloat with duct tape and staples, he might even be the best fit alive.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,502

Post#26 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:01 pm

Muzbar wrote:Billy's not going anywhere, he's AKs guy.

Money talks. Kentucky would likely pay him more and he'd likely have a chance to build a competitor. I don't know whether he'd enjoy going back to recruiting, but it would be a pretty easy exit from this middling team.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,502

Post#27 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:04 pm

DuckIII wrote:Whatever. No new coach is going to do anything better with this nonsensical roster. Nothing matters except the only thing that matters, and the only thing that matters ain’t gonna happen.

I guess the only caveat here is that it's possible some of the roster defects exist because certain players are signed to cater to Billy's desires. I don't know that to be true, but potentially things like the lack of any PF depth are due at least in part to Billy's roster preferences.

I suppose it's also possible that Billy has said he's not up for a tear-it-down rebuild. A good front office would say "well, tough," but maybe it makes it more likely that the team chooses a smarter path if he's gone. I don't have any real faith in that, though, given AK himself seems all aboard the mediocrity train. Oh, sorry, I meant "competitiveness."
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:05 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

There is no such thing as a good fit for this roster. Considering how BD was able to keep it afloat with duct tape and staples, he might even be the best fit alive.

Taylor Jenkins would be a great fit for this team.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,939

Post#29 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:22 pm

Need a thread title change. Currently burying the lede from a Bulls perspective
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,613

Post#30 » by jacoby1us » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:26 pm

Please take him.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#31 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:27 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Need a thread title change. Currently burying the lede from a Bulls perspective

Done.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#32 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:32 pm

So honest question for Vegas: odds the Bulls win more than 38 games next season? Is this team really building on this season?

If Demar or Drummond walk, that’s a downgrade. If they resign (for more money), at best DD plateaus, at worst he declines more (esp. on defense).

If Zach plays, that’s a possible upgrade. Though history shows he and Vuc combine to be negatives. If he’s traded, the idea of getting a better player is difficult to imagine.

If Coby and Ayo start like their better selves, that’s a solid upgrade. But they could just as easily remain “role player” guards.

Pat returning is kind of a nothing-burger: losing his potential improvement hurt, losing his regular production doesn’t hurt. Worst part is he’ll cost more, and be coming off what seems to be a serious injury.

This coming draft pick is not playing unless they’re clearing house for a tank.

Looking at all that… are we sure Donovan doesn’t talk to UK? He’s been frustrated, repeating himself every other night for 4 years.

It’s a great salary and great job on paper, but it’s also masochistic for a guy with his experience to continue turning this meat grinder.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Off to Kentucky? 

Post#33 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:36 pm

Hope Billy D goes since that's the only way to force change on a Reinsdorf led team. With that stated, college is a lot harder. Players transfer the moment someone gives them more money or playing time. Coaches are leaving historically better programs for smaller ones. Arkansas was open because their coach left to USC whose coach left for SMU.

If you're not featuring a player and paying top dollar for him, chances are he's going to leave, even if you're winning. Heck women's is the same with Haley Van Lith leaving Louisville and now LSU. I'm cool with NIL money, but I do think the NCAA need to put a restriction on how many times you can transfer or a sit out period because it's clearer than it's ever been, players could care less about the education.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Off to Kentucky? 

Post#34 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:46 pm

Please let this happen. I like BD more than most, but his exit followed by DeMar’s might actually put AK in hot water.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 853

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#35 » by Bullflip » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:49 pm

Hope he goes to Kentucky. This will force a rebuild and the Bulls can tank properly for Cooper Flagg
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,457

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#36 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:50 pm

kind of indifferent but wild for the Chicago Bulls, a world renown franchise in one of the biggest markets to lose their head coach to a college team.

I recognize the circumstances with Billy and his college ties and Kentucky being a premier program. But not the best optics either way.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,365

Post#37 » by kodo » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:54 pm

Coach in the NBA is a downgrade from Coach at a major college program, which is why the top guys like Coach K never went to the NBA, yet was still the 1st choice for Team USA basketball. Calipari is no bball rocket scientist and got $8M per year a while ago, most NBA coaches used to be $3M-$5M (Pops is a Spurs executive, he just happens to also coach) and we gave Boylen I think $800k.

Billy would really be taking the equivalent of a President or at least GM job at UK. A lot of it is recruiting, but he'll be recruiting for UK. That's like saying a Lakers coach is going to have problems with free agent interest.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#38 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:55 pm

If Billy leaves, AK is gonna have a lot of work to do trying to fix this roster.

Imagine an offseason where:
- Billy leaves
- DeMar and Drummond walk
- Zach is traded

One would think that's enough to force management to kick off a rebuild, but I guess you never know with these guys.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#39 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:02 pm

FriedRise wrote:If Billy leaves, AK is gonna have a lot of work to do trying to fix this roster.

Imagine an offseason where:
- Billy leaves
- DeMar and Drummond walk
- Zach is traded

One would think that's enough to force management to kick off a rebuild, but I guess you never know with these guys.

Well, a team led by this Vuc will be lucky to win 25 games, so yeah, it sure would kick off the rebuild.

I’m imagining it. There’s no point in selling low on any of our prospects (inc. Coby). There’s a decision to be made with Pat. Another season ending injury, mystery BB performance… Hmm… Yeah, let’s play with fire and give this kid a 4y deal. :noway:

Plenty of point in basically cap dumping all our vets, cause their value has only 1 direction to go.

Yet despite this logic, I can see AK doing something bat**** stupid to bump this team’s regular season win record over 39. I’ve got one- Zach, Phillips, Terry, and 5 FRPs for 36yo Durant. :rolleyes: Problem is we’d still fail to win 39 games, as it becomes apparent Vuc still sucks, and 36yos get injured.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,438

Post#40 » by aguifs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:20 pm

Go BD go!!! We organize your ride to the airport
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE

Return to Chicago Bulls