Image ImageImage Image

GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,725

Re: GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN 

Post#21 » by madvillian » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 pm

I don't want to argue about this team with anybody anymore. It's just not worth it. So I'll just say **** Trae Young and beat Atlanta.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dengness9
Senior
And1: 214

Post#22 » by Dengness9 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 pm

Count me in the group that thinks Ayo being out and possibly playing with some rust caps the Bulls chances to win both play in games.

Hell Bulls wouldn’t have made it out of the first playin game last year if not for one of Lavine’s best games as a Bull.

I was at the 2nd playin game in MIA last year. PAINFUL loss in person with Billy subbing out Coby and Drummond as they were shredding the Heat.
I hate the Chicago Bulls. I miss Derrick, Jo, Taj, Jimmy, Lu, BG, Kirk, Noc….I’ll stop there.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#23 » by Red8911 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 pm

rosenthall wrote:The play-in has been really successful IMO, and it works for the following reasons:

- It's been a powerful incentive for teams to try harder during the season, which has had a big effect on the quality of the regular season. You can laugh at penny-pinching owners looking for a way to squeeze out extra revenue from the team, but it seems like lots of ownership prefer to try and make it in, and that has a positive effect for the league overall.

- In some cases, like the western conference right now, there is a lot of ambiguity over who the most deserving playoff teams are and the play-in is a meaningful way to distinguish who the deserving participants are.

- One-and-done is just a lot more exciting than a 7 game series most of the time. I can imagine some scenarios, maybe the western conference this year, where the play-in is more enjoyable than the actual playoffs since there are so many interesting teams participating in it.

One and done would have been great for the whole playoffs not just this. Playoffs drag out way too long, just too many games.

With one game elimination all games would be must watch especially the final would turn into another Super Bowl. Never going to happen though.Less games = less money for everyone.
rosenthall
Senior
And1: 289

Post#24 » by rosenthall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:57 pm

Red8911 wrote:
rosenthall wrote:The play-in has been really successful IMO, and it works for the following reasons:

- It's been a powerful incentive for teams to try harder during the season, which has had a big effect on the quality of the regular season. You can laugh at penny-pinching owners looking for a way to squeeze out extra revenue from the team, but it seems like lots of ownership prefer to try and make it in, and that has a positive effect for the league overall.

- In some cases, like the western conference right now, there is a lot of ambiguity over who the most deserving playoff teams are and the play-in is a meaningful way to distinguish who the deserving participants are.

- One-and-done is just a lot more exciting than a 7 game series most of the time. I can imagine some scenarios, maybe the western conference this year, where the play-in is more enjoyable than the actual playoffs since there are so many interesting teams participating in it.

One and done would have been great for the whole playoffs not just this. Playoffs drag out way too long, just too many games.

With one game elimination all games would be must watch especially the final would turn into another Super Bowl. Never going to happen though.Less games = less money for everyone.

7 game playoffs definitely get too long. A reasonable compromise would be 3-5-7-7 length series to get the right balance between revenue and suspense.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#25 » by Red8911 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm

Stratmaster wrote:And it figures the time is going to be later. Is it just me or does it seem like the Bulls never win in games where there is an odd start time?

I don't care what the result, or what the repercussions, it would sure be nice to see the bulls get through the play-ins and be in a 7 game playoff series again. Although, with a starting lineup of Ayo (hopefully), Coby, Caruso, Demar and Vuc and your biggest off the bench threat being Craig, it is sure to end in disaster.

But, wait! All is not lost. I forgot the 5 Javonte Greens!
If they get through the play in games and make the playoffs it’s a success. Gain playoff experience for the young guys and try to build on that for next season.

To beat Boston though is asking for too much, most teams in the league would lose to them. I’m sure they will fight it but even if they lose just be happy to be there. Again if they make it.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#26 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:57 pm

The Bulls are in a pretty dumb and pointless place right now, but I'll watch the play-in to see Diar DeRozan scream at people, if nothing else.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 910

Post#27 » by HearshotKDS » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 pm

I dont mind the playins, I dislike the playins as an apparent season goal like the Bulls seem to have set their sites on this year and last. Regardless, theres no sense in cheering for the Bulls to lose now, so hoping this team gives me the brief comfort of watching them send ATL home for the year.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#28 » by BahamaBull » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 pm

Hopefully we loose Wednesday and this nightmare season is over...

Much more focused on the draft than the play-in. I dont think we are better than the Hawks or any other team in the EC play-in...
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 427

Post#29 » by KissedByaRose1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:50 pm

DuckIII wrote:I haven’t watched a game since Ayo went down. He was the only remaining thing interesting to watch. Other than the 1999 lame duck season, this is by far the least interesting Bulls team of my “fan lifetime” (about 38 years). This season has been so incredibly dull.

But as a die hard hater of the sham play-in nonsense whether my team is in it or not, at least the matchup piques my interest. It’s worth watching if just to root against Trae Young. If Ayo is back all the better.

Coby's rise has been fun but other than that I agree with every word and this has been my least favorite season ever. I'm dead inside and believe it's in the best interest of the franchise long term if we lose at home here increasing the chances we get AKME out of the building.

All the non bulls stuff this playoffs tho will be awesome and i may get fired from work i'm guna watch so much =)
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#30 » by _txchilibowl_ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 pm

I'm excited. Go Bulls.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,454

Post#31 » by Muzbar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 pm

Question regarding play-in and draft position.

If the Bulls lose against the Hawks and then the Hawks lose against the Miami/Philly who drafts first? Do they Bulls go first because they were eliminated first or do the Hawks go first because they had a worse record?

Also do both the Bulls and Hawks pick ahead of the Rockets because they had worse records despite Houston not making the play-in?
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,934

Post#32 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 pm

Muzbar wrote:Question regarding play-in and draft position.

If the Bulls lose against the Hawks and then the Hawks lose against the Miami/Philly who drafts first? Do they Bulls go first because they were eliminated first or do the Hawks go first because they had a worse record?

Also do both the Bulls and Hawks pick ahead of the Rockets because they had worse records despite Houston not making the play-in?

Pretty sure we'd pick first in that scenario. It's only reseeded for playoff teams
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#33 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I love the play in. You get single elimination games right out of the gate. It’s brilliant. But when Silver rolled out the concept, my first thought was to feel sorry for the trash orgs that were sure to chase a play-in berth like it means something (e.g. Charlotte, Orlando). Life comes at you fast.

I despise these. It allows weak ownership teams to convince their fans they made the 'playoffs'. Allows some semblance of fake success.

The season feels very differently if the Bulls are 9th and are done playing games. Season is looked at as a failure. Now, it isn't to a certain extent.

Right, I mostly agree. The play in - or excuse me, the “postseason” - is a pathetic organizational goal.

But then you have situations like this year’s Western Conference where ten teams were legitimately gunning for the playoffs and in most years each would’ve been good enough to qualify. And now we get to see 4 of them face off in do or die games, which I find really exciting.

In truth, only two teams seem to have been content to chase the play-in as an end, and we unfortunately are one of them. I don’t consider that an indictment of the tourney — we just follow a truly garbage org.

Before the play-in 53% of the teams in the NBA made the playoff. Why allow more than that?

Shouldn't the playoffs be a goal that is something special that you earned? I'm not saying the Bulls didn't earn it, but the Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets and Nets weren't competition this year. They were done a long time ago.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,814

Post#34 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

I hope we lose.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,161

Post#35 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am

the play-in is ridiculous but I'll be watching both of the Bulls W's. I like our chances against Boston tbh
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,451

Post#36 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

Dan Z wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
I despise these. It allows weak ownership teams to convince their fans they made the 'playoffs'. Allows some semblance of fake success.

The season feels very differently if the Bulls are 9th and are done playing games. Season is looked at as a failure. Now, it isn't to a certain extent.

Right, I mostly agree. The play in - or excuse me, the “postseason” - is a pathetic organizational goal.

But then you have situations like this year’s Western Conference where ten teams were legitimately gunning for the playoffs and in most years each would’ve been good enough to qualify. And now we get to see 4 of them face off in do or die games, which I find really exciting.

In truth, only two teams seem to have been content to chase the play-in as an end, and we unfortunately are one of them. I don’t consider that an indictment of the tourney — we just follow a truly garbage org.

Before the play-in 53% of the teams in the NBA made the playoff. Why allow more than that?

Shouldn't the playoffs be a goal that is something special that you earned? I'm not saying the Bulls didn't earn it, but the Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets and Nets weren't competition this year. They were done a long time ago.

The play-in does help address two issues. It reduces tanking and helps keep the NBA competitive after the ASB.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,814

Post#37 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:35 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:I like our chances against Boston tbh

:lol:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#38 » by Chi town » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 am

madvillian wrote:I don't want to argue about this team with anybody anymore. It's just not worth it. So I'll just say **** Trae Young and beat Atlanta.

exactly where I’m at
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,775

Post#39 » by Dez » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:I hope we lose.

That's stupid.

Playoff experience for Ayo, Coby etc is far more valuable than the late lottery pick we've got regardless in a weak draft.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,426

Post#40 » by jump » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 am

What a depressing bunch of comments. Except for a couple of people who see the intent of the play in. I love watching Coby, Ayo, DeMar, Alex work their asses off and grow throughout the season. I like the hope of development of the younger players. Drummond is easy to root for. Even Vuc has games when I’m totally impressed. And who doesn’t love Jevonte? Most teams in the world of sports don’t get to the top. I love it when the Bulls win and hate it when they lose. Just like almost every sports fan. But I don’t hate my team because they underachieve. That attitude is just weak and sad.

Return to Chicago Bulls