Image ImageImage Image

Blazers @ Bulls Postgame thread: Where heartbreak happens..

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Re: .. 

Post#241 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:56 pm

McBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

48 mins its the 2nd game of a back to back????

Guess who's getting showcased.

It was also a 2 OT game so it's not like he played the whole game. Still 48 minutes out of 58 is a lot of minutes.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#242 » by transplant » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:56 pm

Random thoughts:

- Joe Smith - magnificent.

- BG is all the way back. Yeah, he made that costly turnover in OT2, but he was invaluable last night.

- After a brilliant game, Noah came out and did nothing last night. With the outside-shooting bigs on Portland, we needed Noah in this game.

- With Deng out of the game, Noce needed to step up...he didn't.

- Wallace was a warrior, but guarding outside-shooting bigs isn't something he's good at.

- Duhon has picked a bad time to put his shooting touch in the freezer.

- I thought Hinrich played some very good defense, but several times Roy was just too good. His shooting was decent early and awful late.

- I haven't seen much of Aldridge with Portland, but have certainly read a lot about him here. Last night, he looked like a poor man's Joe Smith to me. Real nice 17-foot jumper, but played kinda soft.

Really tough loss. For most of the game, it looked like the Bulls wanted the game more. Unfortunately, we let the Blazers back in and then they got very interested. Losing to Portland at home this season may mean that we've missed our last chance to beat them for a LONG time.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
ChicagoChris
Junior
And1: 20

Post#243 » by ChicagoChris » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:09 pm

transplant wrote:
- I haven't seen much of Aldridge with Portland, but have certainly read a lot about him here. Last night, he looked like a poor man's Joe Smith to me. Real nice 17-foot jumper, but played kinda soft.

glad I didnt have to read all 20+ pages to find the point I was going to make. LA doesnt look like a serious low post threat. Granted it was only 1 game but I didnt feel so bad about the TT pick watching aldridge. Sure he's got a nice touch, and he'd fit in well shooting jumpers on the Bulls, but he doesnt seem to fill the most talked about hole in our offense.

Roy however would be nice to have in the backcourt. I'd trade kirk and bg for him. It was kind of surprising how easily he shook kirk a few times down the stretch, plus he attacks the basket aggressively.
tclg
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#244 » by tclg » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:27 pm

Yeah I dont think I will be clamoring for aldridge he is just joe smith right now I didnt really see him look to post up at any time
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#245 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:39 pm

Pathetic: STEVE BLAKE outscored everyone on the Bulls Roster except Joe Smith and Ben Gordon.

who the heck is STEVE BLAKE?

Sickening: Ben Wallace could not dunk over Joel Przybilla.

I was ready to trade Wallace staright up for Przybilla right after that play and still am.

Inexcuseable: Bulls guards Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon and Griffin get to the FT line 5 time sina Double OT game.

you'll never win close games in the NBA when your guards cannot get to the FT line.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,105

Post#246 » by MGB8 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:45 pm

5 games in, and, while there is clear improvement with Boylan, it doesn't look like the Bulls have shifted anything strategically.

I had hoped that the removal of Skiles would be a move away from the Bulls strategy of the past few seasons. I've never been a big fan of that strategy - the wins just seemed too hard, too reliant upon "out-working" and "out-energying" the other team as the no. 1 method of winning. In order to do that, the team was willing to live with matchup-disadvantages - going small a lot, Noc at the 4, etc. etc.

The team lost the "out-energy" under Skiles, but it has come back a bit under Boylan. However, I feel that it's still a fundamentally flawed strategy. When the stakes get high, in the playoffs, every team ups their energy level.

I was hoping that Boylan was going to switch to a newer strategy of running balanced lineups and exploiting matchup advantages, as the no. 1 strategy, with "out-hustle" being a secondary thing.

To do that, you need to see what the Bulls have and re-shuffle the lineups and rotations. You need to see what you have from Gordon as a point guard - to use his offensive ability to draw attention and have him work on his distributing skills. You need to try to out-size Channing Frye with Aaron Gray, or at least match-up Joe Smith or Noah on him (or Aldridge) and use Tyrus Thomas (more with Smith than Noah to balance offense/defense).

Let Kirk play as a 2 guard who can pass (to be subbed by Thabo) next to Gordon, but with Gordon's goal being to (a) start the game getting others, particularly Deng, involved (unless they back off him), and (b) take over in the end if needed.

My guard rotation would be as follows:

pg: Gordon, subbed by Duhon if things need be settled down on offense

sg: Kirk, subbed by Thabo while Gordon in, Curry if need offense

sf: Deng, Noc, maybe Thabo or Tyrus, depending on what's needed from a 3rd SF

pf: J. Smith (moves to C when Tyrus comes in), TT, Noah, VK (if needed)

cc: Wallace (to bench first, until moved), Noah (if next to Smith), Gray (if need post scoring, then put Tyrus or Noah in at PF and rest Smith).
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#247 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:46 pm

Cliff Levingston puts this loss on the coaching:

- Everyone knows Portland can shoot it from the outside, so why not change up your defense to not leave shooters wide open all the time? Portland's game is tailored perfectly to beat the "double team everyone one the floor" style of defense but apparently we're either too stupid to realize that or too stubborn to adjust to that.

- Portland has a young team full of athletes. Turns out that we had a couple young athletes on the bench who didn't get too much burn; Noah and Thomas, even though Wallace was pedestrian for most of the game (at best). Cliff Levingston would've at least put Thomas in there at SF after Deng went down to chase around guys like Martell Webster, especially since Nocioni was in full chuck-and-miss mode. Never thought Cliff Levingston would say it, but not having Thabo for this game hurt a lot.

- For the love anything you want to have love for:

STOP

RUNNING

THE

MOTHER

FLUBBING

PICK

AND

ROLL

WITH

BEN

WALLACE

!!!!!!!!!

You know you're a complete joke when the announcers are explaining, in detail, why it doesn't work.... yet it's one of the staples of your offense.

...and people complain about how we have trouble scoring. Here's a good first step: don't make your worst offensive player an integral part of your offense.
tclg
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by tclg » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:49 pm

Cliff comes through with another quality post. Joe smith is money on the pick and roll when he is in he should run it anyone but wallace
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#249 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:51 pm

...another thing. How long before Duhon is taken out back and shot? We'd seriously be better off starting and playing Adrian Griffin in his place.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,877

Post#250 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:54 pm

I tend to put this one on the coaching as well.

But I also put it on Deng not playing. That was huge. We lost in double overtime with our best player on the bench for basically the entire game.

I'm sad and feeling a bit low today so I don't really feel like going into it all in great detail.

In my quick breakdown of the 19 critical games of January/early February I had this one down as a loss, so I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed, but I am anway. Hopefully the Bulls can rattle off a few wins in a row and I'll feel better.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#251 » by Wingy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:59 pm

DuckIII wrote:But I also put it on Deng not playing. That was huge. We lost in double overtime with our best player on the bench for basically the entire game.

Well, they were missing Greg Oden. Dude probably woulda given us some problems.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:19 pm

Wingy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, they were missing Greg Oden. Dude probably woulda given us some problems.

He's out for the entire season. He's not currently a part of that team. If Brandon Roy had gone out of the game in the 1st quarter, then I'd see the connection. But as it stands, I don't.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#253 » by Wingy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:24 pm

Not really trying to make a connection, I just think we were in position to win regardless of Deng's absence, blew it and shouldn't have to use it as an excuse. I'm sure the players aren't doing that. Things could've been different if he played, but it doesn't provide me with any solace. We still should've won that game on our home floor.

Speaking of home floor, that was one of the lamest crowds I've ever seen.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:26 pm

Wingy wrote:Not really trying to make a connection, I just think we were in position to win regardless of Deng's absence, blew it and shouldn't have to use it as an excuse. I'm sure the players aren't doing that. Things could've been different if he played, but it doesn't provide me with any solace. We still should've won that game on our home floor.

Speaking of home floor, that was one of the lamest crowds I've ever seen.

No doubt we should have still won. I'm angry about the loss. But if we are going to talk about the game and what happened, Deng's absence is a huge part of that discussion, not an excuse. There is an enormous difference between a reason and an excuse.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:29 pm

JeffJordan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

14 points and 13 boards is a very good game. Especially considering he didn't score in the first half.

Thats priceless. He had a terrible game.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#256 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:56 pm

Cliff Levingston was thoroughly unimpressed with the Blazers. They won the game but they didn't play well. ICLO; that win for them had much more to do with us playing badly than it did with them playing well. All they had to do was pretend like they were going to drive, draw the inevitable double team from the nearest defender and kick it to the wide open 3 point shooter. When guys are left as wide open as they were last night, you expect them to make those shots.

Aldridge was mega soft, and the only reason he got so many rebounds was because he was their center for the entire 4th quarter and both overtimes; you're bound to get some boards doing that. Joe Smith never got as much credit as Aldridge for being able to hit a 18 foot jump shot off the pick and roll.

Bottom line; we gave the game away because of a poor game plan (which falls on the coach). Yea there were some stupid tunrnovers and missed shots, but those wouldn't have mattered if we didn't give up endless open shots or keep running the worst pick and roll in basketball history.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,374

Post#257 » by kodo » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:57 pm

14 & 13 may be a good game for our bigs but for Alridge that's subpar, he's capable of ~25 & 10 games.

Brandon Roy was masking some injury he got where he couldn't move...could have fooled me.

This team is going to be scary with Greg Oden in the middle...if he ever plays a full season.

Bottom line, Portland didn't play that well and still won.
bre9
Pro Prospect

Post#258 » by bre9 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:06 pm

girlygirl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kirk is shooting poorly this season and had a paricularly bad game from the floor tonight. But he also had 7 rebounds and 9 assistants against just one turnover.

He has been playing much better since Boylan took over. He does need to start shooting much better, but his floor game has been solid (Yes, I know he still overdribbles at times, but he's done far less of that in these past 5 games; and yes, his decision making causes people to go "WTF was that" at times, but he's cut way down on the turnovers).

Kirk is a part of the big three that includes Kirk,Ben, and Luol. For us to suceed all three has to shoot well and play well. Or at least two of them has to bring it. Kirk turnovers and assists and etc. doesn't matter he's not Chris Duhon. Kirk is not a true pg, he also not creative at being one either. He has a Sg guard mentality he throws up tough shots especially shots in traffic that's what he's does not need to do he needs to take his shots within the offense. The guy will never be good at being a real pg cause he don't know when to take his shot and get he teammates involve. Right now he doesn't have a true role on this team.
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#259 » by theagent » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:11 pm

what do you guys expect?? No superstars + hungry role players = loses to better teams and no championship
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#260 » by CBS7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:37 pm

JCrossover#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I wouldnt mind if he follows Jamal's path (NYK)...

Gordon didnt have a great night, it was that Kirk and Noce mainly didnt have their best nights offensively and we missed Deng's offensive production. But this doesnt make the other guy's (Gordon) a great night necessarily...

I say 15-27 shooting and 16 (or was it 18?) 4th quarter/OT points make it a great night.

Return to Chicago Bulls