Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,425

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread (Early) 

Post#301 » by drosestruts » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:02 pm

trade 11 for 14 and 22 from New Orleans.

My ranking of players projected to be outside the top 10 as of today (likely to change a lot):

1. Tyler Smith - big lefty shooter with good athleticism
2. Dalton Knecht - really impressed me vs Purdue despite the loss. Great shooter, great competitor, great off ball movement. Klay Thompson esque
3. DaRon Holmes - 6'10" swiss army knife. Fills up the box score - scores, rebounds, stocks, gets to the line, hits his 3's
4. Tristan de Silva - can you tell I like size with shooting?

I have my reservations about a number of guys like Clingan, Filipowski, Missi, and Ware - would love a big man but I feel all of them come with potential concerns that are harder and harder for me to overlook as I look into draft prospects more.

And I think there's some relatively young free agent centers we could potentially pursue for cheap - Bitadze, Wiseman, Bamba, Kornet, Sandro, Tillman,
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#302 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:09 pm

drosestruts wrote:trade 11 for 14 and 22 from New Orleans.

My ranking of players projected to be outside the top 10 as of today (likely to change a lot):

2. Dalton Knecht - really impressed me vs Purdue despite the loss. Great shooter, great competitor, great off ball movement. Klay Thompson esque
3. DaRon Holmes - 6'10" swiss army knife. Fills up the box score - scores, rebounds, stocks, gets to the line, hits his 3's

I have my reservations about a number of guys like Clingan, Filipowski, Missi, and Ware - would love a big man but I feel all of them come with potential concerns that are harder and harder for me to overlook as I look into draft prospects more.

And I think there's some relatively young free agent centers we could potentially pursue for cheap - Bitadze, Wiseman, Bamba, Kornet, Sandro, Tillman,

I second the motion on Knecht. Complete package. Great catch and shoot gunner. Has a mid range game. Has good size. Could play the 2 or the 3. Not a plus defender right now, but defense can be coached up. He's a good team defender due to high BB IQ. You can't have enough shooters. We keep drafting these athletic prospects that can't shoot. How about drafting a basketball player that can shoot and work with him to improve his one on one defense.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,451

Post#303 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,742

Post#304 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:12 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
drosestruts wrote:trade 11 for 14 and 22 from New Orleans.

I second the motion on Knecht. Complete package. Great catch and shoot gunner. Has a mid range game. Has good size. Could play the 2 or the 3. Not a plus defender right now, but defense can be coached up. He's a good team defender due to high BB IQ. You can't have enough shooters. We keep drafting these athletic prospects that can't shoot. How about drafting a basketball player that can shoot and work with him to improve his one on one defense.

I like Knecht as being a solid rotation player in the NBA
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#305 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:27 pm

Welp , looking like Clingon’s gonna be out of the Bulls’ reach. I don’t know how much he’ll pan out, but a Coby/Ayo/Caruso/Pat (even Zach on the comeback) run-n-gun team would do well with him.

I don’t know if Knecht will drop to 12 either, but I would take him. Like I’ve said, this draft is terrible. If Knecht can be something between a more successful McDermott and Duncan Robinson, that would be a boost to this team.

If Edey’s going in the lotto, imo that’s too much a reach. But if he was 25-35 like originally projected, then he’d be a good gamble.

Honestly, the prospect board is full of Dalen Terrys. I feel like there’s a better late pick for every top-10 pick.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,379

Post#306 » by The Box Office » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:51 pm

Try our best to trade up to get Zach Edey. He's in my Top 5 big board.

Not sure if drafting Zach Edey is a big whiff. Anyone, in any draft class, is a gamble. That's a fact.

- Tons of people extremely underestimated, and dismissed, Tyrese Haliburton. Look how that turned out.

- Carmelo Anthony got the stats, but he didn't win anything worthy in the NBA. Career NBA loser. People really thought he was gonna be a multi time league MVP and Finals MVP superstar.

- People here dismissed Ausar and Amen Thompson. Look at them now. They're doing okay. Ausar recently got injured though, but it's nothing career damaging.

- Nikola Jokic was severely overlooked.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#307 » by Muzbar » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:53 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Welp , looking like Clingon’s gonna be out of the Bulls’ reach. I don’t know how much he’ll pan out, but a Coby/Ayo/Caruso/Pat (even Zach on the comeback) run-n-gun team would do well with him.

I don’t know if Knecht will drop to 12 either, but I would take him. Like I’ve said, this draft is terrible. If Knecht can be something between a more successful McDermott and Duncan Robinson, that would be a boost to this team.

If Edey’s going in the lotto, imo that’s too much a reach. But if he was 25-35 like originally projected, then he’d be a good gamble.

Honestly, the prospect board is full of Dalen Terrys. I feel like there’s a better late pick for every top-10 pick.

Alot can change until draft time buy Clingan is definitely playing himself out of reach and the numbers are backing him up.

I haven't watched much of Knecht, so I can't pass judgement but I think his age may have some weight on his draft stock.

Agreed taking Edey in the lottery would be a big whiff for any team that does that, he's a very late 1st or better suited 2nd round 'gamble'. I'll honestly be surprised if he gets drafted at all.

I think this draft is better than people are giving it credit for, not much top end talent, but seems pretty evenly balanced through to the early 2nd round.

I'd love for the Bulls to move back and get a couple of picks (2 later 1sts or a later 1st and a 2nd or 2) if Buzelis isn't available.

Grabbing a big like DaRon Holmes later in the first would be awesome, gives me Gaffordesque vibes but with better offence. I wanted him last year before he pulled out.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#308 » by Dan Z » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:20 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Welp , looking like Clingon’s gonna be out of the Bulls’ reach. I don’t know how much he’ll pan out, but a Coby/Ayo/Caruso/Pat (even Zach on the comeback) run-n-gun team would do well with him.

I agree with you about Knecht. If he's there the Bulls should pick him, but I bet they end up selecting a center. That way they have someone to replace Drummond.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 663

Post#309 » by Rose2Boozer » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:37 am

The world needs Edey vs. Clingan in the NCAA Championship game.
ROLES & HOLES
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,935

Post#310 » by nomorezorro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:07 am

The Box Office wrote:Try our best to trade up to get Zach Edey. He's in my Top 5 big board.

Not sure if drafting Zach Edey is a big whiff. Anyone, in any draft class, is a gamble. That's a fact.

- Tons of people extremely underestimated, and dismissed, Tyrese Haliburton. Look how that turned out.

- Carmelo Anthony got the stats, but he didn't win anything worthy in the NBA. Career NBA loser. People really thought he was gonna be a multi time league MVP and Finals MVP superstar.

- People here dismissed Ausar and Amen Thompson. Look at them now. They're doing okay. Ausar recently got injured though, but it's nothing career damaging.

trying to find a throughline for the points in this post is causing me to disassociate
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#311 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:21 am

Based on AKME draft history. Tidjane Salaun fits the profile.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#312 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:36 pm

The Box Office wrote:Try our best to trade up to get Zach Edey. He's in my Top 5 big board.

I don’t know that this board dismissed the Thompsons so much as it said, “no, Box Office, they should not go ahead of Victor Wembanyama.”
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,860

Post#313 » by Jcool0 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:46 pm

With a healthy Ball, Clingan would be amazing here (Similar to Rudy Gobert in Utah). I would even look to trade up to get him. As the Bulls currently are not sure he would be used correctly.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#314 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:53 pm

Rose2Boozer wrote:The world needs Edey vs. Clingan in the NCAA Championship game.

NCAA is doing everything it can to make it happen for sure. The amount of foul calls Edey gets is a freaking crime. 22 free throw attempts camping in the lane, no 3 second calls, and UT only shot 11 free throws. Watching him elbow everyone in the throat for post up game after game is ridiculous. Watching him plow over a Wisconsin player and the other player gets the foul.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,848

Post#315 » by DuckIII » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:33 pm

Zach Edey can’t guard outside of 7 feet. Maybe not even outside 5 feet. And he can’t stretch anything offensively.

Taking Edey in the lottery, and having it work, would almost require a complete overhaul of modern NBA basketball strategy.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,860

Post#316 » by Jcool0 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:09 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Zach Edey can’t guard outside of 7 feet. Maybe not even outside 5 feet. And he can’t stretch anything offensively.

Taking Edey in the lottery, and having it work, would almost require a complete overhaul of modern NBA basketball strategy.

Is Edey even a 1st round pick?
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#317 » by Muzbar » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:51 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Many here definitely believe so, I disagree. Maybe a late 1st as it is considered a pretty lacklustre draft.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,936

Post#318 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:49 am

DuckIII wrote:

Read on Twitter
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,848

Post#319 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:04 am

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I believe he has a legitimate role as a 16-22 minute backup NBA center who would be an offensive matchup headache. That’s worth a late first depending on how you want to build your roster stylistically.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,742

Post#320 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:13 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Read on Twitter

While it was a clutch block in that moment of do or die and Knecht being the only player that was scoring anything it was a no brainer block with him coming into the paint. I think Edey is a NBA player but really a backup and a great situational player. I woukd never go lotto with him. He is not versatile on offense or defense. He is dominant at what he does but is he getting any of those calls in the pros? It will be interesting to see how he does against Burns. That guy has such footwork and is also a load, yet Edey has a lot of reach on him. Burns is really good at passing out of the post too. Really to stop Edey they just need to do what the raptors did against Philly when they front him in the post then bring Kawhi as soon as he gets the ball.

Return to Chicago Bulls