Image ImageImage Image

OT: Kimmel v. Rodgers

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,868

Re: OT: Kimmel v. Rodgers 

Post#41 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:59 pm

Guy wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
econprof wrote:Rodgers said “I’m not stupid enough to accuse you of that without evidence”. How should we interpret that?

As him saying he was not accusing Kimmel of pedophelia because he has no evidence. I understand how you are interpreting it but you have to look at the sentences around it too. He was definitely backing down, not doubling down.

This can go both ways, depending on which shades you choose to wear.

The sentence in isolation can be read two opposite ways. The sentence including all the sentences before and after it remove that ambiguity and make the meaning clear. Which was to back down.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,946

Post#42 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,134

Post#43 » by Jvaughn » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:51 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Smart of him to separate himself from him. Legal team probably told him he didn't want to be anywhere near Rodgers if a lawsuit is on the table.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,163

Post#44 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:07 am

couldn't care less. but, kimmel's response of "i'll sue you because you said something mean and untrue about me" actually reflects poorly on him. wasn't his whole shtick being mean and offensive and it made him famous and catapulted him to late night television? so he can give it out but he can't take it? what a wiener. him and colbert both went from being very funny to being completely humorless, sanitized shills. what the hell happened
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#45 » by RastaBull » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:52 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:couldn't care less. but, kimmel's response of "i'll sue you because you said something mean and untrue about me" actually reflects poorly on him. wasn't his whole shtick being mean and offensive and it made him famous and catapulted him to late night television? so he can give it out but he can't take it? what a wiener. him and colbert both went from being very funny to being completely humorless, sanitized shills. what the hell happened

As a lawyer, I'd be pretty excited to work on Jimmy's case.
(1) It's not an easy case (as a public figure the threshold is more challenging; and there'd be argument if the statements were direct enough, at least from what I've read), so it's engaging and interesting from the law side; any lawyer will have to do a very good job to rep the plaintiff side successfully
(2) I think there could be a meritorious claim, and it sounds like the damage passes muster; it does not strike me as a simple "I'll sue you" response. The false assertions/implications are not just damages to Kimmel himself, but across his immediate family. I've read Kimmel's asserted there are threats directed at him and his family. That's word of mouth right now, but I 100% would have no shock if there was clear evidence of direct threats (beyond just people saying stupid stuff on internet), and those direct threats then including in plain English it's related to what Rodgers said lmao. It's pretty common that the extremists in US don't really couch what they are thinking haha ... sort of say it outright, which makes it really easy to present a case against them (I'd say it's more true for extremists on the right than on the left, but probably true of both).
(3) Even though it's not a slam dunk, once you get in front of a jury, this is the type of stuff that you can get a good jury and they'll find despicable. So long as you can get the liability verdict, you'll get a good monetary decision too.
(4) Aaron Rodgers is an idiot; the kind that will keep doubling down because he thinks he's bulletproof. At some point, he'll keep creating bad potential evidence that could be used against him, and his lawyers will start advising him to settle. I def would not find any interest in repping Rodgers, that'd just be a massive headache.

I'd never actually be all that interested in repping Kimmel; I work in public interest law, I'm not as interested in work that just moves money from one wealthy person to another wealthy person (I very very much genuinely do not mean that as any slight to lawyers that rep people with money! I still admire greatly the craft and tenacity that all legal rep involves when done right; and if it's absolutely necessary to create good precedence). BUT ONE GREAT BENEFIT, it'd nice to take down a wealthy tool like Rodgers.
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,052

Post#46 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:25 am

RastaBull wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:couldn't care less. but, kimmel's response of "i'll sue you because you said something mean and untrue about me" actually reflects poorly on him. wasn't his whole shtick being mean and offensive and it made him famous and catapulted him to late night television? so he can give it out but he can't take it? what a wiener. him and colbert both went from being very funny to being completely humorless, sanitized shills. what the hell happened

As a lawyer, I'd be pretty excited to work on Jimmy's case.
(1) It's not an easy case (as a public figure the threshold is more challenging; and there'd be argument if the statements were direct enough, at least from what I've read), so it's engaging and interesting from the law side; any lawyer will have to do a very good job to rep the plaintiff side successfully
(2) I think there could be a meritorious claim, and it sounds like the damage passes muster; it does not strike me as a simple "I'll sue you" response. The false assertions/implications are not just damages to Kimmel himself, but across his immediate family. I've read Kimmel's asserted there are threats directed at him and his family. That's word of mouth right now, but I 100% would have no shock if there was clear evidence of direct threats (beyond just people saying stupid stuff on internet), and those direct threats then including in plain English it's related to what Rodgers said lmao. It's pretty common that the extremists in US don't really couch what they are thinking haha ... sort of say it outright, which makes it really easy to present a case against them (I'd say it's more true for extremists on the right than on the left, but probably true of both).
(3) Even though it's not a slam dunk, once you get in front of a jury, this is the type of stuff that you can get a good jury and they'll find despicable. So long as you can get the liability verdict, you'll get a good monetary decision too.
(4) Aaron Rodgers is an idiot; the kind that will keep doubling down because he thinks he's bulletproof. At some point, he'll keep creating bad potential evidence that could be used against him, and his lawyers will start advising him to settle. I def would not find any interest in repping Rodgers, that'd just be a massive headache.

I'd never actually be all that interested in repping Kimmel; I work in public interest law, I'm not as interested in work that just moves money from one wealthy person to another wealthy person (I very very much genuinely do not mean that as any slight to lawyers that rep people with money! I still admire greatly the craft and tenacity that all legal rep involves when done right; and if it's absolutely necessary to create good precedence). BUT ONE GREAT BENEFIT, it'd nice to take down a wealthy tool like Rodgers.

Love the breakdown. Thanks for posting that. I've got an NBA/sports related question. There are always people who think the league is rigged, whether it be point shaving or even determining the winner. Especially with all the gambling money now a days, would any type of "rigging" be considered fraud? Would Silver get in huge trouble if it came to light that there was any type of rigging?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,601

Post#47 » by dice » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:55 am

fair point about kimmel overreacting...not sure how colbert has changed at all other than dropping his character from the colbert report
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#48 » by dice » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:58 am

jc23 wrote:Kimmels Karl Malone skit probably isnt even in the top 5 of the most offensive skits he did when he was younger. I do believe in giving people a pass when deserving; as times change and so do people. As long as they keep that same philosophy for others.

Rodgers has always been a prick with his only redeeming quality being he dated Olivia Munn once.

is her time with rodgers munn's only UNredeeming quality?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,163

Post#49 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 am

dice wrote:

fair point about kimmel overreacting...not sure how colbert has changed at all other than dropping his character from the colbert report

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was only funny for the shtick he did on colbert report/daily show, but it was very clever and still somewhat raunchy, unlike anything you'd see today. he was also very funny on the dana carvey show and strangers with candy. he was a great satirist because he was relatable and humorously poked holes in the prevailing logic of American society and brought light to absurd contradictions in conservatives' political values. Now he's been fully integrated into the power structure he used to criticize and uses his platform to do someone else's propaganda. 20 years ago, he was talking about "trannies" and mocking foreigners, nowadays he gets on his bully pulpit to criticize those doggone fascists for, like Kimmel, doing the same things that made him famous.

I bet he's still a great comedian, he's just a sellout and his new show isn't funny. I thought Letterman was funny, I thought Colbert was funny before he went to late night, but now the format just seems like a way to disseminate the values of studio executives and the 20something well-educated writers who create all his material
da pmp
Senior
And1: 169

Post#50 » by da pmp » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:54 pm

Jimmy blowhard Kimmel can certainly dish it but can’t take it. What a cuck. He is many things but probably not a comedian
dice
RealGM

Post#51 » by dice » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:06 am

da pmp wrote:Jimmy blowhard Kimmel can certainly dish it but can’t take it. What a cuck. He is many things but probably not a comedian

someone's spending too much time (as in any) on alt-right websites
da pmp
Senior

Post#52 » by da pmp » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:09 am

dice wrote:
da pmp wrote:Jimmy blowhard Kimmel can certainly dish it but can’t take it. What a cuck. He is many things but probably not a comedian

Keep that beta energy, doesn’t have anything to do with polictics. Someone spends to much time on alt leftist websites
Jvaughn
RealGM

Post#53 » by Jvaughn » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:19 pm

da pmp wrote:
dice wrote:

Keep that beta energy, doesn’t have anything to do with polictics. Someone spends to much time on alt leftist websites

This response kind of just reinforces what dice said.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
da pmp
Senior

Post#54 » by da pmp » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:36 pm

Jvaughn wrote:
da pmp wrote:
dice wrote:someone's spending too much time (as in any) on alt-right websites

In what way? Is Jimmy Kimmel some saint in your sick world?
Jvaughn
RealGM

Post#55 » by Jvaughn » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:45 pm

da pmp wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:
da pmp wrote:

I don't idolize celebrities, no matter who they are. But Rogers threw a baseless claim out about Kimmel essentially accusing him of being the worst thing anyone can be, and your response was to call him a cuck and then calling someone a beta :roll: for criticizing that. That really is some Andrew Tate level behavior. So it definitely does seem that someone is spending too much time on alt right websites.

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#56 » by Stratmaster » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:55 pm

Jvaughn wrote:
da pmp wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:

I don't idolize celebrities, no matter who they are. But Rogers through a baseless claim ot about Kimmel essentially accusing him of being the worst thing anyone can be, and your response was to call him a cuck and then calling someone a beta :roll: for criticizing that. That really is some Andrew Tate level behavior. So it definitely does seem that someone is spending too much time on alt right websites.
This guy is good at memorizing and regurgitating slurs.

To the point, if you can call it that, which he tried to make... if someone said something about me publicly that caused my family to receive threats, I would sue his ass too. Because the only other actions I would consider would Land me in jail.

I guess I am a beta energy cuck. Whatever the **** that is.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#57 » by Ice Man » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:07 pm

Jvaughn wrote:This response kind of just reinforces what dice said.

More than kinda. At any rate, there are four reasons to defend Aaron Rodgers -

1) He's a family member.
2) He's a friend.
3) You agree with his politics so greatly that you don't care how badly he behaves, you will side with him against "the enemy."
4) You are not political, but you enjoy when one person without cause attacks somebody else.
Jvaughn
RealGM

Post#58 » by Jvaughn » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:15 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Jvaughn wrote:This response kind of just reinforces what dice said.

More than kinda. At any rate, there are four reasons to defend Aaron Rodgers -

1) He's a family member.
2) He's a friend.
3) You agree with his politics so greatly that you don't care how badly he behaves, you will side with him against "the enemy."
4) You are not political, but you enjoy when one person without cause attacks somebody else.

Yeah pretty much sums it up.

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,868

Post#59 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:43 pm

He’s also probably not a child sex trafficker and rapist. Which is probably why he stood up for himself with nothing more than a simple “cease and desist” comment to make it stop. Which is also why it worked as Rogers immediately tucked his tail and ESPN took his microphone.

I have never watched Jimmy Kimmel in my life. But the responses in this thread suggesting that a comedian should not defend himself from the deliberate suggestion that he is the lowest form of human filth you can be, are absolutely ridiculous and show some sort of bizarrely extreme bias.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Post#60 » by League Circles » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:46 pm

Does anyone have a link to the actual original "accusation" by Rodgers? Hard to find with so many people doing analysis videos of it, and the follow up segment.

From what I've gathered so far it's hilarious that anyone is treating this as a serious or contentious thing for either party. Nothingburger of the year so far, though we have over 11 months left.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls