Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Trade Rumors Only

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Re: Bulls Trade Rumors Only 

Post#41 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:14 am

I think the question to debate really needs to be which is worse: extending our irrelevancy by rebuilding or simply postponing it by remaining mediocre (BTW, we're still pretty irrelevant on the NBA landscape). What gets lost in this debate is that if we bring this group back for another season, we're not just postponing a rebuild we're also falling further behind by likely losing our 2025 1st Round Pick to the Spurs.

Is that worth it? Almost certainly not, unless Ball is somehow projecting to come back fully healthy.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Post#42 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:21 am

I'd only get rid of a Demar for a good player or prospect (top 10 pick this summer or recent high pick type). He's likely to be a good player for another 2-3 years, and if the deal is right, it could and should be with us.

Same with Caruso. Good player on a good deal and young enough to re-sign and help us long term.

Vuc, Zach, Carter and Terry I'd trade them for expirings but that's not gonna happen.

Coby I'd trade for the right star.

Patrick we should dangle.

Might as well keep Phillips, Drummond and Craig. I think they're worth more to us than any others and their contracts are not in any way a hindrance.

I lean towards keeping Ayo. I hated his contract but it's low and he is a winner type guy and everyone likes him.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#43 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:24 am

League Circles wrote:I'd only get rid of a Demar for a good player or prospect (top 10 pick this summer or recent high pick type). He's likely to be a good player for another 2-3 years, and if the deal is right, it could and should be with us.

Big picture though, keeping DeRozan likely costs you a first-round pick next year.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#44 » by Muzbar » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:27 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

I'd rather maintain the roster, mediocre or not, and make the play-in. Nothing develops a player faster than winning. Just like nothing stunts a players growth faster than losing.

You'd rather 'maybe' make the play-in with an aging roster, minimal assets and no real path for improving long term?

The team hasn't done anything to improve the last 2-3 years either short or long term other than 'hoping' players improve or come back from injury.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're finding enjoyment in the team, that's great! But this isn't a team that has made noise in the playoffs the last few years and is just struggling with injuries or whatever, this team has struggled to make the playoffs each year its been together, even their first year they almost fell into the play-in.

Changes need to be made, one way or another.

It's not that I'm really enjoying this team. Though I do like that they're competitive. It's that I think being competitive has been a key component to the development of the players who may still be here when we are finally good again.

On top of that, nobody has suggested a real plan. Being bad and acquiring mid-round draft picks in mediocre trades is not a path to success. The Bulls should be working on the fringes to acquire those kind of assets, flipping non-critical players like Drummond. By all accounts DeRozan and Caruso are the team leaders and the players everyone looks up to and respects. You remove that from the team and I worry the ship becomes completely rudderless.

I realize my position is in the minority. I also realize that "continuity" has become a four-letter word around here. But I believe in the power of stability. I believe in creating a culture of competition. A culture of trying to win. Every time we rebuild this roster our chances of becoming a free agent destination are reduced severely.

The Chicago Bulls have been a laughing stock organization for far too long. Being a team that competes and actively tries to win is the only way to change that reputation.

I'm not saying to 'blow it up' either (although that is my preferred option) but rather trade some pieces that don't necessarily fit and get some more manageable assets or maybe some other veterans to see what they've got.

Trading DeRozan gives Coby the opportunity to be the main ball handler and he won't have to defer to DeRozan. Give him a chance to grow further whilst also acquiring some other pieces that may fit better.

Caruso is the teams best asset, trade him to acquire either a good young piece looking for a bigger role or some draft capital either to be used by drafting players or in further trades.

Drummond, I'm not sure what his value is but he seems to be well sought after so maybe he can bring a pick or a young bigman who needs a bit of time to develop.

Vucevic and LaVine aren't going anywhere, highly doubt they trade Pat, he's their baby.

Maybe you include Carter, Craig or Terry in a deal with the above 3 I mentioned to match salaries or get a better return.

AKME aren't going to tear this team down, that much is certain, they'll still fight for that elusive play-in spot, but I hope if they do that, it's with an altered roster because with the current roster, they've been a laughing stock the last few years also.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,597

Post#45 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:28 am

HomoSapien wrote:I think the question to debate really needs to be which is worse: extending our irrelevancy by rebuilding or simply postponing it by remaining mediocre (BTW, we're still pretty irrelevant on the NBA landscape). What gets lost in this debate is that if we bring this group back for another season, we're not just postponing a rebuild we're also falling further behind by likely losing our 2025 1st Round Pick to the Spurs.

Is that worth it? Almost certainly not, unless Ball is somehow projecting to come back fully healthy.

This is 100% where I am at with all of this, I dont like the idea of Tanking but this team is AT BEST a .500 team, never going to be anything more than that. If we stick around and go .500-ish AGAIN, we lose another pick, postponing things to get better at minimum not until 2026-27.

This team just needs a change, I'd rather embrace Coby, Ayo and Pat now, take the lumps, see what we can collect from other "assets" and see what happens.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,508

Post#46 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:31 am

Muzbar wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Muzbar wrote:Pretty sure Philly can only trade 3-4 FRPs they currently have.

Is there a limit for how far out draft picks can be traded? If so, I'd supplement with pick swaps. Either way, if we walk out of this deadline with 3 first-round picks and expiring contracts that's a win.

No more than 5 years in advance I believe.

7 years, FYI
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#47 » by Muzbar » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:36 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Is there a limit for how far out draft picks can be traded? If so, I'd supplement with pick swaps. Either way, if we walk out of this deadline with 3 first-round picks and expiring contracts that's a win.

7 years, FYI

Thanks, that was just a rough off the top of my head.

The latest pick teams can currently trade is 2030 (assuming they haven't traded their 2029 pick already).
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#48 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:42 am

League Circles wrote:I'd only get rid of a Demar for a good player or prospect (top 10 pick this summer or recent high pick type). He's likely to be a good player for another 2-3 years, and if the deal is right, it could and should be with us.

Same with Caruso. Good player on a good deal and young enough to re-sign and help us long term.

Vuc, Zach, Carter and Terry I'd trade them for expirings but that's not gonna happen.

Might as well keep Phillips, Drummond and Craig. I think they're worth more to us than any others and their contracts are not in any way a hindrance.

I lean towards keeping Ayo. I hated his contract but it's low and he is a winner type guy and everyone likes him.

Keep DeMar and Vuc. Trade Coby? WTF? Seriously.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#49 » by Wingy » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:43 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:Some of this interest for DeMar doesn't make sense. A lot of those teams need SHOOTING, not an isolation mid-range player. It really goes to show how BAD Zach's reputation as not a winning player has ruined his reputation. Whereas DeMar and his time with the Raptors is still following him as a high impact player. But you also have to give it to him, he is a great team player and a good leader, so there is that too. Zach doesn't exactly have the reputation of being a great teammate (though I'm not implying he is a bad one).

DeRozan’s reputation was on the toilet when Bulls traded for him. Lower than Zach for sure. It was widely considered one of the worst moves of that off-season by the media . His play here including 2 all-star appearances and making All-NBA once is why he is respected again.

How quickly people forget.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9sf7sn/when_did_the_nickname_demar_defrozen_first/
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 468

Post#50 » by step » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:46 am

MikeDC wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
Muzbar wrote:You'd rather 'maybe' make the play-in with an aging roster, minimal assets and no real path for improving long term?

The team hasn't done anything to improve the last 2-3 years either short or long term other than 'hoping' players improve or come back from injury.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're finding enjoyment in the team, that's great! But this isn't a team that has made noise in the playoffs the last few years and is just struggling with injuries or whatever, this team has struggled to make the playoffs each year its been together, even their first year they almost fell into the play-in.

Changes need to be made, one way or another.

It's not that I'm really enjoying this team. Though I do like that they're competitive. It's that I think being competitive has been a key component to the development of the players who may still be here when we are finally good again.

On top of that, nobody has suggested a real plan. Being bad and acquiring mid-round draft picks in mediocre trades is not a path to success. The Bulls should be working on the fringes to acquire those kind of assets, flipping non-critical players like Drummond. By all accounts DeRozan and Caruso are the team leaders and the players everyone looks up to and respects. You remove that from the team and I worry the ship becomes completely rudderless.

I realize my position is in the minority. I also realize that "continuity" has become a four-letter word around here. But I believe in the power of stability. I believe in creating a culture of competition. A culture of trying to win. Every time we rebuild this roster our chances of becoming a free agent destination are reduced severely.

The Chicago Bulls have been a laughing stock organization for far too long. Being a team that competes and actively tries to win is the only way to change that reputation.

Getting as bad as we can like so many people want to do is going to extend our irrelevancy at least another 5 years

We're irrelevant now as it is... and we are struggling to stay in the fight for a play in position.

As others have eloquently put it, is it really tanking if we're already in the lottery and our future trajectory all but assures it too?
Demar is set to turn 35 and there's a chance we may lose him in free agency. Then what?
Vuc is already on the decline and honestly, it begs the question if we're better off without him than with him. And either way you may view him, he's only a possible piece for 2 years.

People preach for continuity and progress... but we are definitely not making any of the latter and there's little relief in sight that could change that due to AKME's past mistakes. It's obvious a change needs to be made... but little in the way to achieve it.

I don't know... I can't say the possibility of going into next year sans Demar and aging Vuc and no other changes thrills me.
Realist in me says we'll just need to accept that we're screwed either way... and it's whether you try to kick the tyres now or next year. Delaying the obvious hasn't work out so well so far.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#51 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:47 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:

Keep DeMar and Vuc. Trade Coby? WTF? Seriously.

He's our most valuable asset...

For me, if we're blowing this thing up I'm trading Coby, Pat... everyone. Once the losing starts so do the bad habits.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,306

Post#52 » by Dan Z » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:48 am

Muzbar wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Muzbar wrote:Pretty sure Philly can only trade 3-4 FRPs they currently have.

It's 7 years out (I just googled it to double check). That means the best Philly can do in terms of trading first round picks are:

A Philly 2029 or 30 pick (the other one can be a swap).

A 2026 pick (which they get from OKC, Houston or Clippers. Philly gets the least favorable of the three).

A 2028 Clippers pick (unprotected).
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#53 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:50 am

If we don’t trade DeRozan we will be forced to re-sign him this offseason. Once he is paid and Pat gets his $18-$20 million will be right at the luxury tax threshold so we won’t even have the mid-level exception to use this off-season. We will literally bring the exact same team plus our draft picks. We’ll definitely lose Drummond because he can get more than the vet min after this season.

Oh yeah if we don’t re-sign DeRozan we still won’t have any cap space because we can only afford to pay because of bird rights. Otherwise we have about $11 million in cap space to work with to fill out the roster. So they will re-sign him in that scenario.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#54 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:51 am

Wingy wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:Some of this interest for DeMar doesn't make sense. A lot of those teams need SHOOTING, not an isolation mid-range player. It really goes to show how BAD Zach's reputation as not a winning player has ruined his reputation. Whereas DeMar and his time with the Raptors is still following him as a high impact player. But you also have to give it to him, he is a great team player and a good leader, so there is that too. Zach doesn't exactly have the reputation of being a great teammate (though I'm not implying he is a bad one).

DeRozan’s reputation was on the toilet when Bulls traded for him. Lower than Zach for sure. It was widely considered one of the worst moves of that off-season by the media . His play here including 2 all-star appearances and making All-NBA once is why he is respected again.

How quickly people forget.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9sf7sn/when_did_the_nickname_demar_defrozen_first/

To the contrary, DeRozan was lauded for the work he did with the Spurs. He totally transformed his game into a playmaker. There were definitely some grumblings about the amount of money he was signed to but his reputation as a professional was not in question.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,422

Post#55 » by pipfan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:52 am

I want Dieng from OKC and they could really use Caruso for a playoff run
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#56 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:52 am

That was the worst play of the season.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#57 » by Wingy » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:54 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
MikeDC wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

Getting as bad as we can like so many people want to do is going to extend our irrelevancy at least another 5 years

How do you our irrelevancy ending right now? I see no end to it. DeRozan and Vuc will only get older and worse. Maybe just in time for Ayo and Williams to be good enough to keep us at play-in status. I think Coby will be an all-star, but one lower middle tier all-star not enough to be good these days.

I absolutely love Coby, but the all star talk is really bloated with an enormous amount of pure hope.

Guys like De’Aaron Fox, Domas, Zion, Mikal Bridges, and Trae Young (8th scoring, 2nd assists) all missed the all star game.

Reality is that Coby, our clear best player for the future, still has a rather long way to go just to be in serious consideration. That’s telling when you consider the long term prospects of the team.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#58 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:00 am

Wingy wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
MikeDC wrote:

How do you our irrelevancy ending right now? I see no end to it. DeRozan and Vuc will only get older and worse. Maybe just in time for Ayo and Williams to be good enough to keep us at play-in status. I think Coby will be an all-star, but one lower middle tier all-star not enough to be good these days.

I absolutely love Coby, but the all star talk is really bloated with an enormous amount of pure hope.

Guys like De’Aaron Fox, Domas, Zion, Mikal Bridges, and Trae Young (8th scoring, 2nd assists) all missed the all star game.

Reality is that Coby, our clear best player for the future, still has a rather long way to go just to be in serious consideration. That’s telling when you consider the long term prospects of the team.

He’s a conditional all-star. I think he makes the all-star game if he is having a great season on good Bulls(say a top 5 seed). He won’t if they have a losing record. Zach finally made some all-star teams when we became respectable. Coby is probably in the same boat. The Chicago market helps a lot.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Post#59 » by Indomitable » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:09 am

HomoSapien wrote:That was the worst play of the season.

?
:banghead:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,180

Post#60 » by MrSparkle » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:10 am

I still think Coby has a ways to go.

FWIW I also think ASGs are fool’s gold. All-NBA is more of a resume achievement. With all the injuries and conference/positional nuances, showing up at ASB doesn’t mean a whole lot if you’re a player who can’t carry a team to playoff wins.

Coby’s basically shown us he can MAYBE be that guy. But he could also end up being a serviceable starting guard, like FVV…. Who won a ring with the help of the Terminator, Pascal and an otherwise loaded squad (Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry), and some help from the injury gods.

This team is 2 elite players and 4 excellent players away from contending right now. A whole rotation, imo.

Return to Chicago Bulls