Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,780

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#41 » by Jeffster81 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 am

da pmp wrote:Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR. I think the Searstower guy on twitter likes taking BTJR @9.

If Odunze is still there at 9, then he will be a Bear. Eberflus and Poles don’t seem too interested in trading the 9th.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#42 » by Hold That » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:34 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
da pmp wrote:Odunze is the only one that might be available at 9 and even if he's there you still trade down and grab BTJR. I think the Searstower guy on twitter likes taking BTJR @9.

If Odunze is still there at 9, then he will be a Bear. Eberflus and Poles don’t seem too interested in trading the 9th.

Based on what?
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Jeffster81 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:42 am

Hold That wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

Based on what?

Poles and Eberflus have all but signal they want to stay at 9 unless an they cannot refuse comes along.
Which is why I don't expect a trade down.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#44 » by Howling Mad » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 am

There's been no reports of keeping or trading the 9th pick. I'm not sure what signals you saw but maybe I missed it. If we're guessing from Poles' recent preferences and activity, he'd probably prefer to trade down to acquire more picks and be within the value range of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That assumption goes out the window if there's a player the Bears love at the 9 range, or if one falls that far that wasn't expected. It takes two to tango though so there's a lot of variables.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,597

Post#45 » by fleet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:11 am

Howling Mad wrote:There's been no reports of keeping or trading the 9th pick. I'm not sure what signals you saw but maybe I missed it. If we're guessing from Poles' recent preferences and activity, he'd probably prefer to trade down to acquire more picks and be within the value range of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That assumption goes out the window if there's a player the Bears love at the 9 range, or if one falls that far that wasn't expected. It takes two to tango though so there's a lot of variables.

These are the comments from Poles that have led some people to believe the Bears will choose a player at #9:

"I like the numbers," Poles said Monday at the annual NFL league meetings in Orlando about the options at No. 9. "I talked about it when I first got here, but we have different tiers on our draft board. I like the numbers in terms of the talented playesr that can get to nine. We’re gonna do some cool things when we get back, kinda break into teams. One team is going to talk about the tackle position is the best to go after; the wide receiver’s the best. The defensive end’s the best. And use factual information to kinda spit that out, and we’ll have a debate in terms of what’s more impactful for our football team, short-term and long-term. I’m looking forward to that."

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-analysis/ryan-poles-explains-how-bears-plan-to-attack-different-possibilities-with-no-9-overall-pick/549474/
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 381

Post#46 » by JockItch43 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:51 am

fleet wrote:
Howling Mad wrote:There's been no reports of keeping or trading the 9th pick. I'm not sure what signals you saw but maybe I missed it. If we're guessing from Poles' recent preferences and activity, he'd probably prefer to trade down to acquire more picks and be within the value range of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That assumption goes out the window if there's a player the Bears love at the 9 range, or if one falls that far that wasn't expected. It takes two to tango though so there's a lot of variables.

These are the comments from Poles that have led some people to believe the Bears will choose a player at #9:

"I like the numbers," Poles said Monday at the annual NFL league meetings in Orlando about the options at No. 9. "I talked about it when I first got here, but we have different tiers on our draft board. I like the numbers in terms of the talented playesr that can get to nine. We’re gonna do some cool things when we get back, kinda break into teams. One team is going to talk about the tackle position is the best to go after; the wide receiver’s the best. The defensive end’s the best. And use factual information to kinda spit that out, and we’ll have a debate in terms of what’s more impactful for our football team, short-term and long-term. I’m looking forward to that."

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-analysis/ryan-poles-explains-how-bears-plan-to-attack-different-possibilities-with-no-9-overall-pick/549474/

Flus has also given similar messaging, alluding to the preference of going after a premium, blue chip type of guy when talking about the 9th pick. So just like at the combine with the QB situation at the time, the messaging is clear and very intentional if you listen. Could it be they are trying to help drive the price up of the pick for a trade down? Maybe. But one thing about Poles is when you talks you should probably listen to what he is communicating. While he might not flat out say something, he consistently delivers not so subtle messaging. He's the most transparent GM we've ever had.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,934

Post#47 » by nomorezorro » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:12 pm

they gave pretty similar messaging about last year's #9 pick too, and although we did trade the pick, it was only one spot to pass on a guy we obviously did not want. i remember a lot of people speculating about us trading down to #17 and i was fairly certain we wouldn't do it based on what poles had said in the lead-up to the draft.

i'm operating under the same assumption this year - if we do trade down, it'll only be a couple of spots at most and it'll be because we're confident the player we're targeting will still be available
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#48 » by biggestbullsfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Who are these elite superstar QBs that the Washington Commanders have developed?lol
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,943

Post#49 » by biggestbullsfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:14 pm

Given that Poles doesn’t think this draft overall is very deep, and that he’s already traded away multiple picks done a limited amount we already have, it really comes down to whose still there at 9. They really value blue chip players. Unless they don’t see a blue chip player fall, i don’t see them moving. Definitely not moving up imo
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Jeffster81 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 pm

nomorezorro wrote:they gave pretty similar messaging about last year's #9 pick too, and although we did trade the pick, it was only one spot to pass on a guy we obviously did not want. i remember a lot of people speculating about us trading down to #17 and i was fairly certain we wouldn't do it based on what poles had said in the lead-up to the draft.

i'm operating under the same assumption this year - if we do trade down, it'll only be a couple of spots at most and it'll be because we're confident the player we're targeting will still be available

Poles, to me, don't want to trade down from 9 unless they get an offer they cannot refused (ie, Minnesota offering their two firsts). I don't see that happening and thus, I expect the Bears to keep 9.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,963

Post#51 » by Dresden » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:25 pm

You can argue both ways. I think there's going to be some excellent players available at 15-18, guys that could have gone 8-10 but teams had other preferences. With so few draft picks, getting a second rounder by moving back to the 15-18 range seems like a smart move if you can pull it off. There will be some very good players available in the 2nd round- definitely a WR, possibly an Edge or DT or OT.

But it also seems likely that one of Alt or Turner or Odunze will be there at 9, and that may be too tempting to pass up. But who knows how the Bears view these players- they may prefer Verse or Latu.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by fleet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,736

Post#53 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:23 pm

fleet wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s not good but at least it seems like no major injuries. When will these guys learn about racing?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by fleet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:56 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who are these elite superstar QBs that the Washington Commanders have developed?lol

That’s fair to question. And I have written about this before. But the narrative that the Bears can’t develop quarterbacks or destroy quarterbacks therefore Caleb will also be ruined has persisted, and is surviving even past the acquisition of Keenan Allen. Although slowly disintegrating in some minds. Some are still pushing it because they don’t know any other ways to talk about the Bears. It will never die until one quarterback stands up and delivers. For me, it is way less about the Bears “developing” quarterbacks than it is about the quarterback names they have run through here. If Caleb does well, it’ll be attributed to Poles, Eberflus, and Waldron having taken over with expertise, rather than attributed mostly just because Caleb is **** good.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#55 » by JockItch43 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

The narrative about this organization won't change until someone comes along to change it... regardless of logic. Clearly the Bears are the best destination for the kid among the teams with a realistic shot at him based on our roster construction. New management and a new player still means the same old Bears to these people and their bias reflects that mindset with statements like this. It's up to Poles and company to flip that script.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#56 » by JockItch43 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:34 pm

Dresden wrote:You can argue both ways. I think there's going to be some excellent players available at 15-18, guys that could have gone 8-10 but teams had other preferences. With so few draft picks, getting a second rounder by moving back to the 15-18 range seems like a smart move if you can pull it off. There will be some very good players available in the 2nd round- definitely a WR, possibly an Edge or DT or OT.

But it also seems likely that one of Alt or Turner or Odunze will be there at 9, and that may be too tempting to pass up. But who knows how the Bears view these players- they may prefer Verse or Latu.

I'm sure they'll have a list of "must take" guys at 9. If somehow all of them are taken before the pick, they'll consider a trade down to acquire one of the next tier of players they have graded while acquiring more assets. Next year's draft we have plenty of picks, this year is more about quality over quantity IMO.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,925

Post#57 » by dougthonus » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:45 pm

fleet wrote:That’s fair to question. And I have written about this before. But the narrative that the Bears can’t develop quarterbacks or destroy quarterbacks therefore Caleb will also be ruined has persisted, and is surviving even past the acquisition of Keenan Allen. Although slowly disintegrating in some minds. Some are still pushing it because they don’t know any other ways to talk about the Bears. It will never die until one quarterback stands up and delivers. For me, it is way less about the Bears “developing” quarterbacks than it is about the quarterback names they have run through here. If Caleb does well, it’ll be attributed to Poles, Eberflus, and Waldron having taken over with expertise, rather than attributed mostly just because Caleb is **** good.

All this weird stuff about Caleb being screwed here is the ultimate in superficial click bait. No serious analyst would look at this situation and say it's a bad one for Caleb. The Bears are probably better positioned to put Caleb in a spot to succeed than 95% of the QBs who get drafted at #1, and certainly no team in the running to move up to #1 is in better position.

Team's drafting #1 overall didn't typically just win 7 games, upgrade the roster in the off-season from there, and have their biggest problem being at QB. The Bears will win double digit games if Caleb's the 15th best QB in the league. If he becomes a super elite QB (top 5), they easily have the resources to contend for a superbowl in his tenure.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#58 » by panthermark » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:59 pm

dougthonus wrote:
fleet wrote:That’s fair to question. And I have written about this before. But the narrative that the Bears can’t develop quarterbacks or destroy quarterbacks therefore Caleb will also be ruined has persisted, and is surviving even past the acquisition of Keenan Allen. Although slowly disintegrating in some minds. Some are still pushing it because they don’t know any other ways to talk about the Bears. It will never die until one quarterback stands up and delivers. For me, it is way less about the Bears “developing” quarterbacks than it is about the quarterback names they have run through here. If Caleb does well, it’ll be attributed to Poles, Eberflus, and Waldron having taken over with expertise, rather than attributed mostly just because Caleb is **** good.

All this weird stuff about Caleb being screwed here is the ultimate in superficial click bait. No serious analyst would look at this situation and say it's a bad one for Caleb. The Bears are probably better positioned to put Caleb in a spot to succeed than 95% of the QBs who get drafted at #1, and certainly no team in the running to move up to #1 is in better position.

Team's drafting #1 overall didn't typically just win 7 games, upgrade the roster in the off-season from there, and have their biggest problem being at QB. The Bears will win double digit games if Caleb's the 15th best QB in the league. If he becomes a super elite QB (top 5), they easily have the resources to contend for a superbowl in his tenure.

Agreed, I don't think a #1 (QB) pick has ever been put in such a position. Unless the O-line completely craps the bed, and our coaches are in way over their heads, an "average" QB is probably winning 10 games with this roster.

If CW is truly "that guy" and has a Stroud like season, it is safe to say that the Bears are indeed taking the North, and not giving it back.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,634

Post#59 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:

I think you just summed all of this nonsense up in one simple word. Superficial. This is probably about as good of a situation as a number 1 pick could be coming into. A team whose arrow was already pointing up that has added even more in order create a better situation for a QB. There are very few situations that Caleb could try to finagle his way into that would be better football situations than this one. So this talk about him needing to “pull an Eli” is for nothing more than clicks and conversation to help these guys stay relevant.
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#60 » by Mindcrime » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:48 am

Top 30 Bears invitees:

Caleb Williams, QB, USC
Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale
Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

Amegadjie is sloted around our 3rd round pick, Pritchett around the 4th. With Turner having visit with the Falcons it might get to a decision between Odunze and Bowers.

Return to Chicago Bulls