Image ImageImage Image

Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#41 » by JohnnyTapwater » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:44 pm

I thought Zach and Billy had a poor working relationship. The implications may have a domino effect.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,860

Re: Calipari 5-Year Deal with Arkansas. Billy Donovan a top candidate for Kentucky 

Post#42 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:50 pm

Dont know much about him but Jordi Fernández (Kings assistant and HC of team Canada) seems like one top guys for head coaching jobs this cycle. He was a finalist for Toronto and Phoenix last year.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#43 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:58 pm

Well, Billy ain't gone yet. Just on a short list of rumored candidates.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#44 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:04 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:I thought Zach and Billy had a poor working relationship. The implications may have a domino effect.

Oh no…
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,693

Post#45 » by sco » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:10 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
FriedRise wrote:If Billy leaves, AK is gonna have a lot of work to do trying to fix this roster.

Imagine an offseason where:
- Billy leaves
- DeMar and Drummond walk
- Zach is traded

One would think that's enough to force management to kick off a rebuild, but I guess you never know with these guys.

Well, a team led by this Vuc will be lucky to win 25 games, so yeah, it sure would kick off the rebuild.

I’m imagining it. There’s no point in selling low on any of our prospects (inc. Coby). There’s a decision to be made with Pat. Another season ending injury, mystery BB performance… Hmm… Yeah, let’s play with fire and give this kid a 4y deal. :noway:

Plenty of point in basically cap dumping all our vets, cause their value has only 1 direction to go.

Yet despite this logic, I can see AK doing something bat**** stupid to bump this team’s regular season win record over 39. I’ve got one- Zach, Phillips, Terry, and 5 FRPs for 36yo Durant. :rolleyes: Problem is we’d still fail to win 39 games, as it becomes apparent Vuc still sucks, and 36yos get injured.

IIRC, the bulk of the "Zach issue" is his imperfect relationship with Billy. Maybe if Billy goes, Zach becomes less disgruntled? If the FO is hell-bent on dumping Zach this offseason, then I see little point in wanting Billy to go.

We're probably not doing better with the next coach.
:clap:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,210

Re: Calipari done at UK. 5 year deal with Arkansas 

Post#46 » by League Circles » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:16 pm

DuckIII wrote:Whatever. No new coach is going to do anything better with this nonsensical roster. Nothing matters except the only thing that matters, and the only thing that matters ain’t gonna happen.

Idk, I think that Billy is partially to blame for this nonsensical roster. Obviously primary blame goes to AK, but of Billy has been telling AK "don't sign any forwards over 6'-7" cause I won't play them anyway", then Billy is definitely part of the problem, and that is plausible to me. Also at a minimum, Billy is responsible for riding the Vuc train so hard despite Drummond being right there, among other things.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,092

Re: Calipari done at UK. 5 year deal with Arkansas 

Post#47 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
MissileMike wrote:BD makes a lot of sense and maybe he will take the job. As others have said, he's not the problem here- the roster is.

Good coach horrible fit for this roster.

There is no such thing as a good fit for this roster. Considering how BD was able to keep it afloat with duct tape and staples, he might even be the best fit alive.

Exactly. Billy is the least of our problems.

I think Billy is gone. He wants to win. Think he’s a better college coach and recruiting is easy at Kentucky and NIL money.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#48 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:19 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
JohnnyTapwater wrote:I thought Zach and Billy had a poor working relationship. The implications may have a domino effect.

Oh no…

Should be Oh Good!

Billy loves DDR and Vuc and has made Zach the scape goat.

I’m all for keeping Zach and sending out Billy with DDR and Vuc to get a new team built to play modern ball.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#49 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:56 pm

Chi town wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Oh no…

Should be Oh Good!

I’m all for keeping Zach and sending out Billy with DDR and Vuc to get a new team built to play modern ball.

Retooling around Zach because his relationship with BD was “the problem” would be beyond pathetic.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#50 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:38 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Chi town wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Oh no…

Should be Oh Good!

Retooling around Zach because his relationship with BD was “the problem” would be beyond pathetic.

Retooling around Zach is the only option we have besides the dumpster fire we are and will be of “continuity.”
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,846

Post#51 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:52 pm

Chi town wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Should be Oh Good!

Retooling around Zach is the only option we have besides the dumpster fire we are and will be of “continuity.”

It’s definitely not the only option.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:01 pm

Chi town wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Should be Oh Good!

Retooling around Zach is just another dumpster fire. Move him for neutral value (or slightly less) and rebuild in earnest. Will AK do that? Almost certainly not. But that’s why I’m hoping against hope that BD + DeMar’s departures lead to a FO change.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,391

Post#53 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:34 pm

Please Billy go.

Grab Bud
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#54 » by Red8911 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:52 pm

Why would Billy want to leave the NBA to go coach college ? NBA is the much better job no matter what what team it is especially the bulls. Let’s not forget he’s still under contract.

Wouldn’t make much sense for him to do this unless he knows the Bulls will fire him in the offseason.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#55 » by Red8911 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:57 pm

Zach has a poor working relationship with anyone who coaches him.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Post#56 » by Indomitable » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:05 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Zach has a poor working relationship with anyone who coaches him.

He got along with Thibs
:banghead:
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,130

Post#57 » by patryk7754 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:19 pm

budenholzer is probably the best option. He's probably the best coach available and the composition of the roster is very similar to what budenholzer has had success with in the past. The comparisons are mostly offensive

White has a somewhat similar game to Teague
Vuceic can have the same role as Horford or Lopez
Lavine can be used the same as Middleton

Assuming we don't go into rebuild mode, budenholzer can probably maximize their talents and roles. He's mostly had big lineups so AK may be forced to get an actual PF.

White
Lavine
Caruso
PF
Vuc

That's not a bad lineup under budenholzer. I would still prefer to trade Vuc for a PF (like Lauri) and acquire a Gafford-type of center to anchor the defense. Man, if AK only had a little more patience.
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#58 » by Mindcrime » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:29 pm

I said it back when Lavine requsted the trade and they showed videos where he is trying to "coach" the team like they are under graduates( I mean showing stuff to Demar like wtf?) and they were laughing of him. Billy is not a good fit for veteran/contending type of team. College? Sure.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#59 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:42 pm

Red8911 wrote:Why would Billy want to leave the NBA to go coach college ? NBA is the much better job no matter what what team it is especially the bulls. Let’s not forget he’s still under contract.

Wouldn’t make much sense for him to do this unless he knows the Bulls will fire him in the offseason.

Aside from anything else, it pays substantially more.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,860

Post#60 » by Jcool0 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:50 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Why would Billy want to leave the NBA to go coach college ? NBA is the much better job no matter what what team it is especially the bulls. Let’s not forget he’s still under contract.

Aside from anything else, it pays substantially more.

No one leaves the NBA for college for an extra 2 million. They only leave if they get fired. Billy is only leaving if its clear the Bulls might move on from him soon.

Return to Chicago Bulls