Image ImageImage Image

SI: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#41 » by girlygirl » Sat May 10, 2008 6:07 pm

The Bulls are idiots. Being cautious backfires in their face once again.

Until they learn to take risks, they aren't going to win anything.

Tom Thibodeaux (if they even end up with him, which they may not -- who says Thibodeaux would accept a low-ball offer?) has never been a head coach. How do we know he has a clue how to design an offense? This team will be plodding and boring under him, unless he has some secret exciting offensive schemes (if he does, the Celtics don't use them)

That said, I continue to doubt D'Antoni will make the Knicks a good team anytime soon. That roster is full of guys who don't fit an uptemp system (Randolph and Curry, for two).
BestintheEast
Junior
And1: 66

Post#42 » by BestintheEast » Sat May 10, 2008 6:07 pm

[edit] you Reinsdorf..as a lifelong devoted fan, you just shoved a garbage team up our [edit] and then bend us over again by being cheap and not getting an elite head coach..I hope you fully intend to lower ticket prices because you clearly have no desire to ever put forth a legit team again!

Please refrain from trying to get around the profanity filter.
<

....Brooks your a trout
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#43 » by coldfish » Sat May 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Susan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

New Orleans really really looks like a fun team to watch right now.

I agree. I really enjoy their style of play.

I'm really bad at switching allegiance though. In general when I get kicked enough times, I just stop following the sport.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#44 » by Susan » Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Now? Yes. He's had terrible coaches since D'Antoni. Marbury and Baron are very similar. One was just given permission to run. The other wasn't.

Really shut up dude. Marbury already played for D'Antoni and it didn't work. He had Amare and now he's got fatass Zach. It's going to fail.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,878

Post#45 » by DuckIII » Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm

No skin off my balls - unless we end up with Johnson. On principle though, I am frustrated with the role money appears to have played. The team is wealthy enough to pay the guy the identify.

But in this case they identitied the wrong man, so the non-hire doesn't bother me too much. For now. I'll reserve total judgment once the Li'l General angle is resolved.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#46 » by Wingy » Sat May 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Main Event wrote:Thank God, because D'Antoni wasn't going to be a savior.

If he couldnt win with a roster that had Nash/JoeJohnson/Q/Marion/Amare, how in the hell would he win with our team?

His style of baketball does not win Championships.. Doesnt even take you too the NBA Finals.

+1

I don't get why everyone's so upset. I bet the Knicks have a honeymoon season next year and then after that, it's crapville again. I question this for Donnie Walsh...you take a whole cast of meatheads completely uninterested in playing defense and add a coach uninterested in teaching it....and on offense...these Knicks are a joke compared to the Suns' talent.
harry lockheart
Rookie

Post#47 » by harry lockheart » Sat May 10, 2008 6:10 pm

The funny thing is that the whole Phoenix board wants to hire Thibby. Failing to get Pringles could mean that we don't get Thibby either.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#48 » by Red Larrivee » Sat May 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Never understood why anyone wanted to hire a used car salesmen as the coach.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#49 » by HINrichPolice » Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Wingy, whether or not you wanted D'Antoni, I think it's obvious that he became Paxson's first choice. Assuming that's true, it speaks volumes about our organization's willingness to spend money to do what's necessary to improve our team.

Mediocrity coinciding with Profit is a-okay if you're Bulls ownership. And that simply sucks balls if you're a Bulls fan.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#50 » by jax98 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm

DuckIII wrote:No skin off my balls - unless we end up with Johnson. On principle though, I am frustrated with the role money appears to have played. The team is wealthy enough to pay the guy the identify.

But in this case they identitied the wrong man, so the non-hire doesn't bother me too much. For now. I'll reserve total judgment once the Li'l General angle is resolved.

I was definitely entering the D'Antoni wagon. But merely for 2 purposes:

- It would mean Tyrus would get better chances
- We wouldn't hire Avery Johnson

I'm going to be so utterly pissed if we hire the little guy. It's Tom Thibodeau for me.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,692

Post#51 » by fleet » Sat May 10, 2008 6:13 pm

girlygirl wrote:I hope D'Antoni doesn't complain as he watches his team win 35 games every season for the next few years

I know we don't have much room to talk trash. The Knicks have been an embarrasment. The Bulls have ben pretty dadgum incompetent themselves lately.

You know the Knicks are gonna get a top 2 pick, draft Rose or Beasely and have a real superstar and a pretty awesome coach. Us? Come on, we should lay low
Action Paxson
Head Coach
And1: 63

Post#52 » by Action Paxson » Sat May 10, 2008 6:13 pm

I guess I want Mark Jackson now?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
Bulls1983
Rookie
And1: 75

Post#53 » by Bulls1983 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:14 pm

**** you Reinsdorf!
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,922

Post#54 » by TheStig » Sat May 10, 2008 6:15 pm

I think we just don't wanna pay a coach real money. Dan Tony and Carlisle were both rumored to be almost done deals and bith ended up getting good money elsewhere. 4/24 and 4/18. We will end up with either curry or thibo, not sure if thats a good or bad thing because they have never been HC.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#55 » by coldfish » Sat May 10, 2008 6:15 pm

harry lockheart wrote:The funny thing is that the whole Phoenix board wants to hire Thibby. Failing to get Pringles could mean that we don't get Thibby either.

Pretty much. No way the Bulls pay big for an assistant. Plus, the Suns are off the hook for MD's contract.

IMO, the Bulls are soon to be scratching the bottom of the barrel.

Hey John: Forget about what I said about you. I'm available and I'm cheap.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#56 » by Ralphb07 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:15 pm

I don't see why Thibo would pick the Bulls over the Suns, so by us letting all these coaches go by, we might end up with really bad coach.

Kerr wanting to go defense, and wants input, Thibo looks like the right fit for Phx
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#57 » by umfan83 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Nice job Pax.

I think I give up for awhile
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,339

Post#58 » by enigmatics » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

harry lockheart wrote:On the bright hand, we know what kind of coach Dan Tony is. He's the kind of guy that wouldn't develop D.J. Strawberry. Do we really want that in a coach?

Heh.

Bitter.

Looks like all that high and mighty talk about Mike changing his stripes was fruitless. I told you from the beginning ........guy doesn't want to change. At least Paxson is smart enough to not pull the trigger on a giving a guy that kind of money when he's obviously never going to tweak the flaws in his philosophy.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#59 » by Red Larrivee » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

The Bulls will hire Mike Dunlap at 4 years/500 K.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#60 » by girlygirl » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

If the Bulls aren't careful, Pete Myers will be their head coach next season.

D'Antoni was the best choice IMO for this roster. He could have upgraded the offense without totally destroying the defensive principles they (supposedly) still retain from Skiles. What's the point of going with a defensive-oriented guy if you CAN'T SCORE???

Where is the head coach who is great at coaching both offense and defense? Who isn't a boring stick-in-the-mud style wise and who is a good communicator? That's the ideal coach -- but that person likely doesn't exist.

Thibodeaux will en up in Phoenix, because the Suns will offer him more $$$ than the Bulls -- just watch. This is already a disaster and will probably just get worse.

Return to Chicago Bulls