Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Waive Byars

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Re: Bulls Waive Byars 

Post#41 » by JackFinn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 pm

BULLHITTER wrote:
The league picks up 500k or so of the cost. That leaves about 400k left which is probably what it cost them to hire him as an assistant, but they probably figured they would bring in another vet at the min and basically break even on his cost and then just pay him more to be an assistant.

these kinds of mangerial decisions make it increasingly frustrating to understand and support the bulls philosophy with regard to team building. idk all the financials and don't really care, but it seems to me that the bulls wasted a lot more time on the nichols kid (who isn't as good as byars, imo) than they've chosen to on byars; maybe they'll yo-yo him back and forth but fwiw, they don't seem all that concerned about developing players, they're just hoping to be in the "right place at the right time" by some miraculous turn of events that might propel them to the upper echelon. i'm becoming increasingly skeptical and aligning my thinking about the bulls operating philosophy as, "as long as we're making money, any and everything else is gravy", tempering my enthusiam. down the road i imagine acrimonious dealings with rose and noah, particularly if the team is annually first and second round fodder. the bulls continue to "hope" players "break out", or someone's giving away a star (a la gasol). with all their dealings being money motivated first and foremost, i just don't know how they'll get themselves out of the 'young" status into a veteran team poised to challenge.

they've been a "young team" for the past 7 seasons. do they EVER take the next step?

:o
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#42 » by Posey H8er » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Well this is unfortunate. Who knows, maybe he gets picked up later this season by the Bulls.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,462

Post#43 » by samwana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:02 pm

In another move the Magic waived Linton Johnson, hopefully we won't see him back...
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#44 » by coldfish » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Dumb question:

Aren't salaries guaranteed if the guy plays game 1? If so, is this an attempt by jerrah to re-sign byars after game 1 to give him a non guaranteed deal?

I apologize if this was already answered.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,662
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#45 » by waffle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Doesn't this have the feel of step one? What will be step two me wonders.
BuffaloBull
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#46 » by BuffaloBull » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 pm

coldfish wrote:Dumb question:

Aren't salaries guaranteed if the guy plays game 1? If so, is this an attempt by jerrah to re-sign byars after game 1 to give him a non guaranteed deal?

I don't have Sham's expertise, but I believe Byars was on a standard nonguaranteed deal to begin with. He could have been cut at any point up to a deadline date (sometime in January, I believe) after which his deal would have been guaranteed for the rest of the season.

I don't see a great rationale out there for cutting him now, other than which how close they are to the tax, they want to keep the flexibility to bring someone in in response to a serious injury to someone in the rotation taking place/and or they feel sticking to 13 on the roster gives them maximum trade flexibility going forward.
Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Post#47 » by Great » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Besides me thinking Byars can help the team win, the team now is even thinner SF/SG.

I watched the games last night. I believe most of the teams used 9 - 10 player rotations.

Don't know how many starting shooting guards are also the main back up at SF for their team.

With Salmons starting in that 3 guard rotation, someone who can make a jump shot and defend the SF position will be needed.

We'll see how this plays out.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#48 » by Grand Champ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Grand.Champ wrote:Seriously someone needs to Tonya Harding Pargo

Why? You want to see Lindsay Hunter play?

Ok I take that back, someone SHOULD HAVE Tonya Harding(ed) Pargo YESTERDAY.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#49 » by Grand Champ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Sinistar6 wrote:I will give it 2 weeks and you guys will be jockin Pargo. (after he's healthy)

As in like screaming at the TV "OH MY GOD PARGO YOU SUCK DICK!!!" jockin?
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#50 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:31 pm

It depends on contract. If contract is non-guaranteed, he would only be paid for games played. He played how many? None? OK

By mid-January, then the contract becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season regardless of games played. Not before then - unless there is something in the contract otherwise.

What no one seems to realize: Last year we waived Ruffin & then re-signed him after he cleared waivers. We could be doing it again with this guy - no? :o
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 484

Post#51 » by SlimD235 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm

So I guess James Johnson will be playing some Emergency PG? I remember against the Magic...VDN played Johnson at SG and Tyrus at SF.

The man does it all!
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#52 » by coldfish » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:

It depends on contract. If contract is non-guaranteed, he would only be paid for games played. He played how many? None? OK

By mid-January, then the contract becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season regardless of games played. Not before then - unless there is something in the contract otherwise.

What no one seems to realize: Last year we waived Ruffin & then re-signed him after he cleared waivers. We could be doing it again with this guy - no? :o

That's what I was thinking.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,280

Post#53 » by HomoSapien » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm

dougthonus wrote:
I think if they had it to do over again they wouldn't pay Hunter, but they probably didn't think anyone was going to be worthy of keeping in camp, and they probably had to guarantee Hunter in order to make him not just retire.

I don't really agree. Hunter was voted as team captain. He's doing his job. Surely the Bulls didn't believe that he'd contribute anything on the court.

In a previous thread you stated that you thought if GarPax wanted Gordon that Reinsdorf would've made it happen. Couldn't they have made this happen pretty easily? To me it seems like he just didn't make the team, and I'm not really sure why.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
darkman1x32
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#54 » by darkman1x32 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:44 am

I really think they will bring him back, maybe cleared waiver wire first.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#55 » by treis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 am

BOOO HISSS BOOOOO
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#56 » by Three34 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 am

No. Some contracts have stipulations such as "becomes fully guaranteed if no waived on or before October 28th" or some sheet like that, but Byars had no such thing. His was just filly unguaranteed, meaning he gets paid per diem until January 10th.

He will get some money from the Bulls, though. There's 170 days in a regular season, and Byars was on the roster for two days, plus two days of waivers. So he gets four days worth of pay, which is $457,588 / 170 * 4, which is $10,767. For tax purposes, that goes up to $19,423.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Three34 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 am

Also, no one's going to pick up Derrick Byars. If ever we need him back, he'll be available.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#58 » by Ben » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:33 am

What's the financial advantage of waiving him and then re-signing him if/when he clears waivers?
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Three34 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:43 am

If they pick him again instantly, none.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#60 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:55 am

Ben B. wrote:What's the financial advantage of waiving him and then re-signing him if/when he clears waivers?

Ruffin had something in his original contract last year that Bulls didnt like. I think it had to do with a minimum guaranteed payout. Anyways, they waived him & then signed him to a contract without the offending part.

Since Sham says that there is nothing controversial in Byars deal, the Bulls probably are not going to pick him up again right away
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb

Return to Chicago Bulls