Image ImageImage Image

Coby White has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,556

Re: Coby White has leveled up 

Post#521 » by PaKii94 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:06 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Indomitable wrote:He is still passed about Lauri.

Oh yeah I am pissed still. Especially now that we all have the benefit of hindsight.

Stat- I brought up Lavine because you compare Coby to Lavine lite and like I said I agree to an extent. 90% of the rest of my posts are factual stats that you glossed over just to point out that "I keep bringing up Lavine"

Also why I brought up Lavine is because your recent takes on Coby started off as:

1) "Coby is good, but you guys are impressed by a few games? Lavine did this for years and y'all hating on him" - no. Lavine scored efficiently for years but he didn't run the team well for years.

Once no one cared about that take and cared about Lavine on the roster anymore, the next take became:

2) "Coby is good but not an all star yet"

I agreed with this take. When Lavine went down Coby did have a hot stretch. I didn't expect him to keep up curry volume and efficiency either. BUT it was a step up in his game and that has sustained since even if the efficiency hasn't kept up at that level. Which brings us to your latest take

3) "Coby isn't doing anything different/special. This is just 2020 Coby with slightly better shooting"

That's what the current discussion was for. I said 2020 Coby was Lavine lite. This Coby is a different player. That's when you got Lavine blinders and only focused on that aspect.

I told you it's ingenuous to look at the overall season averages because obviously Coby's role expanded since Lavine is out. I understand it's still a relatively small sample size so if you want to wait to change your opinion that's fine. That's a perfectly fine response.

BUT to be ignoramus and continue to double down on the 2020 Coby = current Coby take is ridiculous. I even gave you examples of multiple good advanced stats that show FOR THE SEASON AVERAGE that Coby's IMPACT on winning has increased a lot since 2020 even if his raw numbers haven't changed. If you filter it on when Coby's role changed, the change in impact is even more dramatic. But I didn't provide those numbers because yes, it is a smaller sample size.

But obviously you ignored that because "you mentioned Lavine how dare you?!? You hater!!" Take out any mention of Lavine from my posts and my takes still stand if you are willing to move past the Lavine stuff.

In the end my point is 2020 Coby was a frustrating player who's only impact was hot shooting. Current Coby is doing much more. Maybe not at a legit all star level (and maybe not at Zach's peak volume/ efficiency/ longevity) but we can acknowledge his growth none the less.

Disclaimer: I did vote for Coby for all star not because I thought he would get it but because I thought he deserved some votes for being a breath of fresh air on a team that was rapidly going to the gutter. Also because sometimes I am a bulls fanatic :lol:

No. YOU brought up Lavine and mentioned Lavine lite here before I ever did. No point in discussing with you. You just make **** up.

Again ignore the lavine stuff and respond to the coby stats. You won't :banghead:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#522 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:16 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Oh yeah I am pissed still. Especially now that we all have the benefit of hindsight.

Stat- I brought up Lavine because you compare Coby to Lavine lite and like I said I agree to an extent. 90% of the rest of my posts are factual stats that you glossed over just to point out that "I keep bringing up Lavine"

Also why I brought up Lavine is because your recent takes on Coby started off as:

1) "Coby is good, but you guys are impressed by a few games? Lavine did this for years and y'all hating on him" - no. Lavine scored efficiently for years but he didn't run the team well for years.

Once no one cared about that take and cared about Lavine on the roster anymore, the next take became:

2) "Coby is good but not an all star yet"

I agreed with this take. When Lavine went down Coby did have a hot stretch. I didn't expect him to keep up curry volume and efficiency either. BUT it was a step up in his game and that has sustained since even if the efficiency hasn't kept up at that level. Which brings us to your latest take

3) "Coby isn't doing anything different/special. This is just 2020 Coby with slightly better shooting"

That's what the current discussion was for. I said 2020 Coby was Lavine lite. This Coby is a different player. That's when you got Lavine blinders and only focused on that aspect.

I told you it's ingenuous to look at the overall season averages because obviously Coby's role expanded since Lavine is out. I understand it's still a relatively small sample size so if you want to wait to change your opinion that's fine. That's a perfectly fine response.

BUT to be ignoramus and continue to double down on the 2020 Coby = current Coby take is ridiculous. I even gave you examples of multiple good advanced stats that show FOR THE SEASON AVERAGE that Coby's IMPACT on winning has increased a lot since 2020 even if his raw numbers haven't changed. If you filter it on when Coby's role changed, the change in impact is even more dramatic. But I didn't provide those numbers because yes, it is a smaller sample size.

But obviously you ignored that because "you mentioned Lavine how dare you?!? You hater!!" Take out any mention of Lavine from my posts and my takes still stand if you are willing to move past the Lavine stuff.

In the end my point is 2020 Coby was a frustrating player who's only impact was hot shooting. Current Coby is doing much more. Maybe not at a legit all star level (and maybe not at Zach's peak volume/ efficiency/ longevity) but we can acknowledge his growth none the less.

Disclaimer: I did vote for Coby for all star not because I thought he would get it but because I thought he deserved some votes for being a breath of fresh air on a team that was rapidly going to the gutter. Also because sometimes I am a bulls fanatic :lol:

No. YOU brought up Lavine and mentioned Lavine lite here before I ever did. No point in discussing with you. You just make **** up.

Again ignore the lavine stuff and respond to the coby stats. You won't :banghead:

Coby isn't doing anything I haven't seen him do before when he was playing in the same role; other than shooting more consistently; and we will see if that holds out for a full season (his percentages are dropping). And that isn't a bad thing. Coby was great in his 2nd season, before Billy neutered him, and he is great this season. Maybe you should go back and watch some of his games from that year.

But I think you have called me enough names at this point that you can just go **** yourself.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#523 » by PaKii94 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:22 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

Coby isn't doing anything I haven't seen him do before when he was playing in the same role; other than shooting more consistently; and we will see if that holds out for a full season (his percentages are dropping). And that isn't a bad thing. Coby was great in his 2nd season, before Billy neutered him, and he is great this season. Maybe you should go back and watch some of his games from that year.

But I think you have called me enough names at this point that you can just go **** yourself.

Sometimes I forget how dense people are. If you truly think coby was "great" his second season so be it. It's cool I don't wanna burst your bubble. You're right coby is the same as 2020. The rest of the world is crazy to think he improved. :roll:
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#524 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:33 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Sometimes I forget how dense people are. If you truly think coby was "great" his second season so be it. It's cool I don't wanna burst your bubble. You're right coby is the same as 2020. The rest of the world is crazy to think he improved. :roll:

Yeah. Again. Go **** yourself
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Post#525 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:40 pm

PaKii94 wrote:

Stratmaster wrote:

Both of you quit with the hostility. If you can't keep it civil, then don't engage with each other. We're not going to let this thread get derailed with all the personal jabs.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#526 » by PaKii94 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm

What did I say about not derailing the thread? Take a break and cool off.

-HS
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,322

Post#527 » by Mbrahv0528 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:48 pm

Why is there always someone who wants to play devil's advocate with any Bulls player who finally blossoms? (The same thing happened with Lauri) It's hilarious to me. We absolutely HAVE a budding star in Coby, but sure, let's play devil's advocate on said players' home board for the hell of it. I do not get it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#528 » by Stratmaster » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:58 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:Why is there always someone who wants to play devil's advocate with any Bulls player who finally blossoms? (The same thing happened with Lauri) It's hilarious to me. We absolutely HAVE a budding star in Coby, but sure, let's play devil's advocate on said players' home board for the hell of it. I do not get it.

No one is playing devil's advocate. I haven't said a single bad thing about Coby. I am disputing the idea that this was somehow an unforeseen all star level jump to a level of play we haven't seen from him before. I think Coby is great. Said it now at least a dozen times.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#529 » by PJSteven22 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:42 am

Stratmaster wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:Why is there always someone who wants to play devil's advocate with any Bulls player who finally blossoms? (The same thing happened with Lauri) It's hilarious to me. We absolutely HAVE a budding star in Coby, but sure, let's play devil's advocate on said players' home board for the hell of it. I do not get it.

No one is playing devil's advocate. I haven't said a single bad thing about Coby. I am disputing the idea that this was somehow an unforeseen all star level jump to a level of play we haven't seen from him before. I think Coby is great. Said it now at least a dozen times.

His on/off Metrics disprove that.
Read on Twitter
WestsideResider
Head Coach
And1: 3,093

Post#530 » by WestsideResider » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm not here to argue.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,093

Post#531 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:13 pm

Coby is becoming the lead guy.

It’s becoming HIS team.

I’m starting to question my 2nd option on a winner status.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#532 » by sco » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm

Chi town wrote:Coby is becoming the lead guy.

It’s becoming HIS team.

He is becoming the lead guy on a mediocre team, which is probably the same as the 2nd option on a winner.
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#533 » by FriedRise » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:32 pm

Do you think Coby will win MIP?

Everywhere I look, it's Maxey. But Maxey was already a 20ppg scorer last year, so the +5ppg isn't as high as Coby's +10. And if you look at their overall game, Coby made a jump from being a bench gunner to a starting PG whereas Maxey was already playing that spot the last couple years.

Might be a homer take, but that feels like a bigger deal IMO.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,365

Post#534 » by kodo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm

In the original spirit of the award when it went to guys like Bobby Simmons, yes it should go to Coby. But lately it’s been going to whoever has more stats like Ja Morant.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#535 » by sco » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:01 pm

FriedRise wrote:Do you think Coby will win MIP?

Everywhere I look, it's Maxey. But Maxey was already a 20ppg scorer last year, so the +5ppg isn't as high as Coby's +10. And if you look at their overall game, Coby made a jump from being a bench gunner to a starting PG whereas Maxey was already playing that spot the last couple years.

If he keeps this level of production, I think he has a good chance.
:clap:
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,391

Post#536 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm

We need more them and not trade them away for nothing. Now we need to lower Vuc FGAs or replace him if we want to take another step.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,093

Post#537 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:53 pm

sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:Coby is becoming the lead guy.

It’s becoming HIS team.

He is becoming the lead guy on a mediocre team, which is probably the same as the 2nd option on a winner.

We are mediocre with so much of our talent injured on the bench. Had Lonzo Zach Craig and Pat been playing at full health I don’t think Coby would have broken out though.

I want to see Ayo continue to ascend and then Pat come back healthy and show us his next step as well.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#538 » by Stratmaster » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

His on/off Metrics disprove that.
Read on Twitter
On/off metrics don't prove he is finishing better (he isn't, and the percentages at the rim show that). They don't prove he is playing the point and handling the ball better (his assist and turnover volume and percentages show he isn't).

The on off numbers can only be substantiated because he has been dead-eye with his shooting, which the other numbers do indicate. In addition, he is playing with a different group of players on the court than he was coming off the bench.

Individual On/off numbers are relatively meaningless.

Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#539 » by Charlesareed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:05 pm

I’ve been saying this for a while now maxey didn’t do anything we haven’t already seen him do tbh it should be either Coby white or Jalen Brunson award
Chicago Raised me
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#540 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:13 pm

He probably should win it, but he probably won't win it.

Return to Chicago Bulls