Image ImageImage Image

Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,779

Re: Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges? 

Post#61 » by Dez » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:03 am

Stratmaster wrote:
Dez wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Some players are good at taking charges safely. Coby isn't. You obviously aren't following the discussion.

And yes. It's an issue.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app

I'm following the "discussion", Coby take charges fine and it's still a non-issue.
Ok Dez. You said it, so....

Actually Coby not getting hurt by taking charges says it, not me.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#62 » by Stratmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:19 am

Dez wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Dez wrote:
I'm following the "discussion", Coby take charges fine and it's still a non-issue.
Ok Dez. You said it, so....

Actually Coby not getting hurt by taking charges says it, not me.
He has been hurt. I just posted a video of him getting hurt. Fortunately, he didn't miss any time.

I just want him to be at full strength to play. Not playing at 80% or missing games here and there while his bruises and bumps heal.

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Post#63 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:52 am

So you are saying you want him to play worse defense?
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,462

Re: Should Coby Keep Taking Charges? 

Post#64 » by samwana » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:53 am

Stratmaster wrote:
MikeDC wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Again, already addressed this. Was never talking about long term injuries.

I have the numbers. The top 11 guys in taking charges have played less than 75% of their games so far this season. Not trying to say it is direct causality, but it's the best data available.

Players don't want to take them for a reason.

Take the L.
This one make you feel comfortable?

https://youtu.be/Z21gtIpo09w?si=6qlN5YlHFxBc4uFx

Coaching staff should tell Coby to stop doing THESE ones, because they are especially dangerous. And this one probably doesn't count as a charge in stats. So in real he takes even more charges.

I agree with Strat too, he should learn from DDR and keep away from the 230 upwards guys that come up in full speed.
Seccci
Bench Warmer
And1: 156

Post#65 » by Seccci » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:13 pm

As we see with Lavine, just scoring 25 on 60+TS is not special anymore in today's NBA if it's not paired with other elite qualities like playmaking, defense, rebounding.

If Coby can maintain 20+ ppg at around 60ts, but with added defense plus developing playmaking, that is more valuable, than he should continue to do what makes him perform at this current level. He is 23, so development is not closed to him yet

courtesy of Turbo_zone
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,697

Post#66 » by sco » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:07 pm

I don't feel like taking charges is a big source of meaningful injuries.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,966

Post#67 » by dougthonus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:29 pm

I would probably coach everyone to stop trying to take charges.

I agree with the initial premise, it isn't likely to tear your ACL, but it is the type of thing that takes a physical toll on your body and creates dangerous conditions. Also, while a successful charge is an amazing play for you, the much of the time you try to take a charge you draw a blocking foul and also do not contest the shot (since you're falling down) which also leads to a high level of and1s.

I think these things generally balance each other out in plays that go heavily against you and for you, and I'd instead say you're left with an attempt that overall has a neutral outcome but creates dangerous conditions.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#68 » by Stratmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:45 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:So you are saying you want him to play worse defense?

Where did I say that?
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,436

Post#69 » by Lunartic » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:53 pm

It's peak dishonesty to pretend like taking charges doesn't put the defensive player (and offensive) player at risk.

Insisting we need some stat available to log all nagging minor injuries relative to charges is just nonsense. It's simple, you have a 200lbs+ dude slam into you, you're gonna feel it and it absolutely can injure you. Anyone that has played ball at any level knows how much it hurts and how dangerous it is.

Similarly, I wouldn't want any of my players to dive into the stands for loose-balls just to win some random RS game. Game 7 of the finals? Sure why not? You'll have an entire off season to recover if anything goes wrong.

GoBlue72391 wrote:Hot take: charges shouldn't even be a thing

Agreed entirely but the league rewards offensive players for barrelling into dudes that stand their ground so you essentially need to fall over like you got shot in order to get any advantage.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#70 » by Stratmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Lunartic wrote:It's peak dishonesty to pretend like taking charges doesn't put the defensive player (and offensive) player at risk.

Insisting we need some stat available to log all nagging minor injuries relative to charges is just nonsense. It's simple, you have a 200lbs+ dude slam into you, you're gonna feel it and it absolutely can injure you. Anyone that has played ball at any level knows how much it hurts and how dangerous it is.

Similarly, I wouldn't want any of my players to dive into the stands for loose-balls just to win some random RS game. Game 7 of the finals? Sure why not? You'll have an entire off season to recover if anything goes wrong.

GoBlue72391 wrote:Hot take: charges shouldn't even be a thing

Agreed entirely but the league rewards offensive players for barrelling into dudes that stand their ground so you essentially need to fall over like you got shot in order to get any advantage.

As a skinny 6'4" guy who always got paired against the 220' 6'4 guy, I know exactly what you are saying. Hell, it hurts to get run over by a guy that much bigger in post play, more or less jumping in front of him when he actually has momentum toward the basket.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#71 » by Stratmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:00 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:How does this thread not have a poll?

And he obviously should keep taking charges.

Do we really need one to know how lopsided it would be?

You might want to go back and count the individuals and their responses. And then you might want to look at which responses have any actual reasoning, or factual basis.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#72 » by Risk Addict » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:26 pm

Coby needs the charge option in his defensive tool bag. Like others have said, just being an efficient high volume scorer does not win games anymore. It is not a unique enough skill. You need to be well rounded. Small guards like Coby have their quickness as only advantage on defense. He’s not going to out jump or out muscle guys. He can try to get steals with off ball defense but much harder to do on ball unless you are elite.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#73 » by prolific passer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:27 pm

Who's in charge of Coby taking so many charges? I will charge into battle against them.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,259

Post#74 » by HomoSapien » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:29 pm

Stat has gotten a lot of ****, but to an extent I understand the fear. I can't help but picture Pippen taking charge after charge on Karl Malone and destroying his back. That said, you can't coach him to stop. He's good at it and it works.

As a side note, I hate that this ever became a basketball play. I don't get how sliding in front of someone should be rewarded. I wish they would get rid of this so that players would be forced to challenge shots instead.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#75 » by madvillian » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:30 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Stat has gotten a lot of ****, but to an extent I understand the fear. I can't help but picture Pippen taking charge after charge on Karl Malone and destroying his back. That said, you can't coach him to stop. He's good at it and it works.

As a side note, I hate that this ever became a basketball play. I don't get how sliding in front of someone should be rewarded. I wish they would get rid of this so that players would be forced to challenge shots instead.

That would end Wisconsin basketball. So we should do it. Agree.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#76 » by Stratmaster » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:19 pm

Quick update.

In the first 23 games Coby took 7 charges.
In the 8 games since I started this thread, since it became apparent he is the only great thing the Bulls have had going for them, he has taken 0.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#77 » by Stratmaster » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:47 pm

Latest. 7 charges taken in first 23 games.

0 in the last 12.

I guess he stopped trying to play defense.

Either that or someone talked some common sense into him.

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,556

Post#78 » by PaKii94 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:07 am

Stratmaster wrote:Latest. 7 charges taken in first 23 games.

0 in the last 12.

He saw your concern with this thread duh
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#79 » by Stratmaster » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:59 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Latest. 7 charges taken in first 23 games.

0 in the last 12.

He saw your concern with this thread duh

No. But someone, likely a coach or vet player, who is smarter than a lot of the posters who responded so vehemently and insultingly to this thread, obviously had some discussion with him. Since he started the season saying "I want to lead the team in charges taken", and then when he was looking like a scoring star he suddenly, and noticeably, stopped. Or maybe he got dinged up a little bit and came to it on his own. Or maybe it was his agent.

I will take credit though for becoming concerned and pointing it out at the exact same time.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#80 » by FriedRise » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:04 pm

He probably stopped because we've been so shorthanded AND the fact that he's nursing that wrist injury. One wrong tumble and you could be out for a while too. Not worth it just to save a couple of points.

Return to Chicago Bulls