Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 381

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#61 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:38 pm

Mindcrime wrote:Top 30 Bears invitees:

Caleb Williams, QB, USC
Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale
Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

Amegadjie is sloted around our 3rd round pick, Pritchett around the 4th. With Turner having visit with the Falcons it might get to a decision between Odunze and Bowers.

Perfect!

Surprised he's not bringing in one of the top OT's. I do like the Yale OT as an option in the 3rd round... local kid too.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,626
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#62 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:43 pm

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Amegadjie is sloted around our 3rd round pick, Pritchett around the 4th. With Turner having visit with the Falcons it might get to a decision between Odunze and Bowers.

This article lists a few more:

QB Caleb Williams, USC (NFL Network)
RB Dylan Laube, New Hampshire (Destin Adams, A to Z Sports)
T Kiran Amegadije, Yale (source)
WR Rome Odunze, Washington (Brady Henderson, ESPN Seattle Seahawks reporter)
CB Elijah Jones, Boston College (Ryan Fowler, The Draft Network)
CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame (Justin Melo, The Draft Network)
C Zach Frazier, West Virginia (Fowler)
DE Dallas Turner, Alabama (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
CB Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn (Melo)
TE Brock Bowers, Georgia (Tony Pauline, Sportskeeda)

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-digest/news/next-bears-step-top-30-visits-with-caleb-williams-and-others
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 144

Post#63 » by Bulldog23 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:38 pm

This Bear thread is the best thing going on this Bulls forum. I appreciate it. Looking forward to the football season this year.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,963

Post#64 » by Dresden » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:09 pm

Bulldog23 wrote:This Bear thread is the best thing going on this Bulls forum. I appreciate it. Looking forward to the football season this year.

There's not much to be excited about regarding any other sports team in Chicago these days, esp. the Bulls.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,583

Post#65 » by fleet » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:11 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

This article lists a few more:

QB Caleb Williams, USC (NFL Network)
RB Dylan Laube, New Hampshire (Destin Adams, A to Z Sports)
T Kiran Amegadije, Yale (source)
WR Rome Odunze, Washington (Brady Henderson, ESPN Seattle Seahawks reporter)
CB Elijah Jones, Boston College (Ryan Fowler, The Draft Network)
CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame (Justin Melo, The Draft Network)
C Zach Frazier, West Virginia (Fowler)
DE Dallas Turner, Alabama (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
CB Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn (Melo)
TE Brock Bowers, Georgia (Tony Pauline, Sportskeeda)

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-digest/news/next-bears-step-top-30-visits-with-caleb-williams-and-others

I think the Bears had some contact with JPJ at his pro day, and they probably have studied him pretty extensively. That said, trading down for any player that isn’t a first round graded blue chip doesn’t appear what the Bears want to be doing. They would have to trade into the top of the second round to have a shot at him. That list tells me the Bears are looking at players to take at #9, or later in the draft. But we don’t know half the names yet so….
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,907

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#66 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:40 pm

Merged in the last few pages so people can still reply to recent stuff without losing place.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#67 » by Jimako10 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:52 pm

Bulldog23 wrote:This Bear thread is the best thing going on this Bulls forum. I appreciate it. Looking forward to the football season this year.
Haven't watched 1 bulls game all year, I'm just going to assume they finish with 41 wins and a play-in knockout, as the prophecies have foretold.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#68 » by MissileMike » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:09 pm

Jimako10 wrote:
Haven't watched 1 bulls game all year, I'm just going to assume they finish with 41 wins and a play-in knockout, as the prophecies have foretold.

This thread is why the realgm bulls forum is part of my daily routine. It's just such an exciting time for the Bears, and this thread is just the right size and pace.
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 163

Post#69 » by CROBulls » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:10 pm

Jimako10 wrote:

Same feeling. I watched more Bears and Blackhawks games this year. Which was not a lot but at least it wasn't zero games like with Bulls. There is nothing worth watching about Bulls. There is excitement here on board and it's not for Bulls.

But this community is great. I am not leaving it just because Jerry Reinsdorf and gang of AKME holding Bulls franchise hostage.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,078

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#70 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:24 pm

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,352

Post#71 » by kodo » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:02 pm

dice wrote:1) we (the non-elites) haven't been going backwards for decades. we've flatlined while the rich have gotten much richer. the national wealth has more than DOUBLED (adjusted for inflation!). and the wealthy have gotten all of it. DESPITE longer hours being worked

2) definitely harder for younger people debt-wise. the value of a degree has gone DOWN despite skyrocketing tuition. but they're starting out with higher salaries (again, adjusted for inflation). and, of course, society is much better in some ways than it was decades ago. but the wealth gap combined with our culture of wealth flaunting makes most people FEEL like they're going backwards

People feel like they're going backwards because they look at what their middle class parents had (a home, one parent able to stay at home with kids, cars, an annual family vacation to Disney) and they seem that being impossible for them now regardless of all the economists saying everything is better (these are the same economists who said globalization will be better for everyone in the US).

The fact that the upper 1% controlling far more of the pie has a secondary effect of tentpole ambitions will cater to the that small demographic, and they will increase their prices to the top 1% not the middle class. This goes for elite school tuitions or that typical family Disney vacation.

My dad just worked a typical middle class job running a bar. He was able to send his kids to Loyola (the high school), $2k per kid per year. My buddy sends his 4 sons to Loyola, $20k per kid per year. He will have spent $320k on *high school* for his kids when he finally pays it off.

And here's a cool graph of what it costs to go to Disney:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/q9iml0/oc_walt_disney_world_ticket_price_increase_vs/

ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,626
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#72 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:51 pm

Jimako10 wrote:

I've watched some of 90% of bulls games as well as attending 2 of them. You're not missing out haha.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#73 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:31 pm

NFL stock exchange guys and The Ringer guys did a mock draft pod together last week, 2 groups I like a lot.

All 3 receivers were off the board at 9, and they had the Bears trading back to 12 and got a 2025 2nd from the Broncos. This also screwed over division rival Minnesota from getting McCarthy.

Then they had the Bears taking Newton, a beast who has gone under the radar. Like this draft a lot, considering the receivers were gone. They also liked Verse too.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 163

Post#74 » by CROBulls » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:20 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:NFL stock exchange guys and The Ringer guys did a mock draft pod together last week, 2 groups I like a lot.

All 3 receivers were off the board at 9
, and they had the Bears trading back to 12 and got a 2025 2nd from the Broncos. This also screwed over division rival Minnesota from getting McCarthy.

Then they had the Bears taking Newton, a beast who has gone under the radar. Like this draft a lot, considering the receivers were gone. They also liked Verse too.

Taking 3 receivers in top 9 is unprecedented. And specially when you know that top 2 picks likely gonna be 2 QB's, and top 8 likely 4 QB's overall. Imagining such scenario means whole NFL is thinking there is basically no much top talent in other positions in a draft is starting get absurd.

Yes, they are mocks for a reason. But I feel everyone is copying everyone and their mocks.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#75 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:31 am

CROBulls wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:NFL stock exchange guys and The Ringer guys did a mock draft pod together last week, 2 groups I like a lot.

All 3 receivers were off the board at 9
, and they had the Bears trading back to 12 and got a 2025 2nd from the Broncos. This also screwed over division rival Minnesota from getting McCarthy.

Taking 3 receivers in top 9 is unprecedented. And specially when you know that top 2 picks likely gonna be 2 QB's, and top 8 likely 4 QB's overall. Imagining such scenario means whole NFL is thinking there is basically no much top talent in other positions in a draft is starting get absurd.

Yes, they are mocks for a reason. But I feel everyone is copying everyone and their mocks.

I don’t think precedent matters outside of some obvious rules (QBs go high due to value, kickers and punters don’t). Each class is unique.

The 1st WR drafted last year was pick 20. The year before that, 4 receivers were taken in the top 12. The year before that, 3 in the top 10. Before that, only 1 in the top 12.

This class is very weak defensively. There is no Will Anderson Jr, no Jalen Carter. No elite prospects there. That is kind of unique.

Edit: There are always a dozen or so picks that really no one had expected. So I certainly think Nabers could be there at 9, or maybe all 3 are gone. Neither would surprise me, but if I had to bet on 1, I’d bet on the latter.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,963

Post#76 » by Dresden » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:41 am

Dallas Turner looks like the guy who could drop to 9 if JJ gets picked early. So do the Bears value him highly enough to forgo dropping back in the first round and taking Verse or Latu, and getting a second round pick as well? If we're looking to get a WR and an Edge, that would seem to be the way to go. I guess it partly depends on how they view the guys that could be available for their 3rd round pick.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,592

Post#77 » by dice » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:52 am

kodo wrote:
dice wrote:1) we (the non-elites) haven't been going backwards for decades. we've flatlined while the rich have gotten much richer. the national wealth has more than DOUBLED (adjusted for inflation!). and the wealthy have gotten all of it. DESPITE longer hours being worked

2) definitely harder for younger people debt-wise. the value of a degree has gone DOWN despite skyrocketing tuition. but they're starting out with higher salaries (again, adjusted for inflation). and, of course, society is much better in some ways than it was decades ago. but the wealth gap combined with our culture of wealth flaunting makes most people FEEL like they're going backwards

People feel like they're going backwards because they look at what their middle class parents had (a home, one parent able to stay at home with kids, cars, an annual family vacation to Disney) and they seem that being impossible for them now regardless of all the economists saying everything is better (these are the same economists who said globalization will be better for everyone in the US).

The fact that the upper 1% controlling far more of the pie has a secondary effect of tentpole ambitions will cater to the that small demographic, and they will increase their prices to the top 1% not the middle class. This goes for elite school tuitions or that typical family Disney vacation.

My dad just worked a typical middle class job running a bar. He was able to send his kids to Loyola (the high school), $2k per kid per year. My buddy sends his 4 sons to Loyola, $20k per kid per year. He will have spent $320k on *high school* for his kids when he finally pays it off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/q9iml0/oc_walt_disney_world_ticket_price_increase_vs/

as i said, educational costs are silly. but there is certainly no obligation to send your kid to an expensive private high school. nor take a trip to disney. meanwhile, the average american continues to do better:

that graph has nothing to do with any sort of top 1% influence. and it's not some theoretical academic exercise. of course, the strong majority of middle class wealth is based on home ownership, so if it is more difficult to own a home the house of cards could collapse

as for paying for other stuff, maybe the consumer adjusts. college enrollment is down over the past decade for the first time in forever. and colleges are getting desperate to keep the revenue train rolling, apparently jacking tuition through the roof after the pandemic:

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,592

Post#78 » by dice » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:19 am

All 3 receivers were off the board at 9, and they had the Bears trading back to 12 and got a 2025 2nd from the Broncos. This also screwed over division rival Minnesota from getting McCarthy.

can you imagine if minny takes mccarthy and he ends up good? could be a hell of a division for the foreseeable future (although lions situation w/ goff after this season should be interesting)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#79 » by MissileMike » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:55 am

dice wrote:
kodo wrote:

as i said, educational costs are silly. but there is certainly no obligation to send your kid to an expensive private high school. nor take a trip to disney. meanwhile, the average american continues to do better:

that graph has nothing to do with any sort of top 1% influence. and it's not some theoretical academic exercise. of course, the strong majority of middle class wealth is based on home ownership, so if it is more difficult to own a home the house of cards could collapse

as for paying for other stuff, maybe the consumer adjusts. college enrollment is down over the past decade for the first time in forever. and colleges are getting desperate to keep the revenue train rolling, apparently jacking tuition through the roof after the pandemic:

A pet peeve of mine are scaled graphs like that- making it appear revenue has doubled when it is more like a 15% increase. But your basic point is still true- the cost of universities is absolutely ridiculous. My favorite gouger is USC at 95k/year now:
https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2024/03/05/usc-tuition-will-increase-by-49-for-2024-25-school-year/

And USC turns away over 90% of applicants. A lot of students get aid, but a lot don't.
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 662

Post#80 » by boozapalooza » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:05 am

Everyone wants one of the top 3 WRs at 9 but I would be just as ecstatic if all 3 get picked and Alt somehow falls to us. Braxton is good but Alt has the potential to turn this O-Line into one if the league’s best. Braxton would become a huge depth piece of inevitable injuries. We have seen bad OLs ruin young QBs. Investing further in that OL is somethjng the Bears have never done. We can’t settle for decent/good on the OL, we should be striving to be elite.

With Keenan in tow, OL becomes the priority imo

Return to Chicago Bulls