Image ImageImage Image

PAXON'S TOP 10 MISTAKES !!! LIST EM

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

eNgIeS
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#61 » by eNgIeS » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:16 am

why the hell are you angry for?
Bring back Nocioni!!!
ChiBullsFan83
Senior
And1: 0

Post#62 » by ChiBullsFan83 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:35 am

eNgIeS wrote:why the hell are you angry for?

If you're talking to me, it's just the negativity on this board. There's just way to much of it.
tyrususi007
Senior

Post#63 » by tyrususi007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:36 am

Sorry people I have to side with ChiBullsFan83 all the way. This board has gotten out of control. Everyone should just march down to the United Center with a torch in hand to burn the house down. And chase down Pax like he was Dr. Frankinstein.

This site is for people to talk and throw around some ideas. Hey I do it too, Im not perfect. But how many people can you call fans when you have a thread that basiclly is Bulls fans saying trade for Redd at all costs???? Are you people nuts?!

Paxson has had his fair share of hits and misses. Thats life people, we all do it everyday. Hell I remember that 4th of July night watching espn in bed and jumping out of bed like I won the lottery when I saw the bottom line that said "Ben Wallace and Chicago Bulls agree to a deal" Whatever has happened good or bad, at least Pax has had the stones to make some moves and take some kind of risks.

It seems to me that alot of you go back to the Tyrus/Thabo draft.

I want to give my prediction about Aldridge if he was on the Bulls. His numbers would be the same as Tyrus's now. Face facts, the Bulls are tring to win a title. This is not post-dynasty where every guy on the bench gets solid minutes to see if he can help the team. I doubt any team would be willing to hand a starting position over to a 19-20 year old kid with one year of college basketball under his belt, if they are focusing on a NBA title or a run deep in the playoffs. Aldridge got time because last year in portland was time to see what they had, it was like post-dynasty for the bulls. you can't compair the two players until they have their playing time even out. Please know that I am a huge Tyrus fan, I wish he would play more, But I'm not the couch.
Now Thabo, to sum it up real quick. If I remember right he was someone noone really knew alot about. Pax got to see him play by chance, after that the buzz on him started. Pax rolled the dice and got him in chicago on draft day. How many international players come over to the states and make a imediate impact? Better yet, how many that play as many limited minutes as Thabo? He needs time to adjust, and he too isnt playing enuff to help his chances.

My thoughts right now are, with Deng out with a injury. Jim Boylan should go to Tyrus and say. Your starting in Deng's Spot. I want you to run run run and attack the basket every chance you get, dont fal lin love with your new jumpshot just yet. and if he cant hang, Noce comes right in for Tyrus. The kid needs to flat out get minutes. hell let him come off the bench for Gordon instead of Duhon! catch my drift?
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#64 » by sonny » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:56 am

Not trading for Michael Redd
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Post#65 » by League Circles » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:27 am

1. Trading Chandler for an expiring, inferior player and not using that contract (yet - can still be done).
2. Drafting Thabo over Brewer
3. Signing Griffin
4. Paying Noc what he paid him (I think he'd have signed for less) - making him more tradable)
5. Not using a big man coach.
6. Seemingly never being willing to tell Skiles to play certain guys. (I think a GM should be willing to give a strong hint to a coach to play certain guys, and I don't believe Pax did this with Skiles, but if he had, Skiles probably would have and we'd be better off).
7. Signing Joe Smith with the MLE instead of a G like Mo Pete.
8. Letting Fizer go.
9. Signing Darius Songaila.

I couldn't really think of ten things I really thouht he did wrong. I don't think he's had a lot of luck in the draft and I'm not going to say that trades he didn't make were mistakes when I don't know for a fact what was on the table. Am I still the only person that doesn't think signing BW was a mistake? I'm OK if he's traded now but I thought he was our third most important player last year.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#66 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:07 pm

Chandler getting 22 and 22 last night in a big win on the road just . . . hurts.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#67 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:21 pm

coldfish wrote:Chandler getting 22 and 22 last night in a big win on the road just . . . hurts.

It helps that the Warrior "centers" are much shorter - Harrington & Biedrins.

Still, there is no question that the Wallace/Chandler exchange was a blunder. However, Chandler would not have done as well under Skiles - and the Bulls were pleased with Skiles & his success.

The Thabo pick was a mistake - but perhaps there is still hope. Skiles usually could get the best out of guards - but Thabo may not have it.

Those are the only 2 things that I can honestly put on this list.

I am comfortable with the Tyrus/Aldridge move. People have to make a decision & live with it. Even if Aldridge has a better career, the difference between the two will not be as great as it appears now. I still feel Aldridge is an injury waiting to happen.

and for people picking on Griffin: he's a low paid vet who also serves as unofficial coach. He's the 13th man on the team & his salary comes out of petty cash for the Bulls. Paxson likes having him around - and it's no worse than putting brother Jim on the payroll.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:29 pm

bulls6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Still, there is no question that the Wallace/Chandler exchange was a blunder. However, Chandler would not have done as well under Skiles - and the Bulls were pleased with Skiles & his success.

No doubt, but that's not a good thing. The fact that Chicago keeps using non-perimeter centers on the perimeter is beyond stupid. It likely has cost a lot of games and at least one quality player (Chandler). Hell, Wallace may not be nearly as ineffective if his role was more suited to his skills.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#69 » by molepharmer » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:33 pm

Without being too specific of how the Bulls got to where they are and more on what type of team Paxson has built:

a) A diminutive back court that can't get to the rim or draw fouls.
b) Very few shooters; unable to space floor.
c) No offensive post presence.
d) Too many young question marks and the inability to find playing time.

How Pax got the Bulls to this stage involved many of the transactions people have already mentioned (e.g. Tyrus over Aldridge, signing Smith & Noc while drafting two more bigs, not obtaining a shooter/big guard thru free agency or draft). Any single move by itself might have been good. The fault lies in where it has led.

Lastly, from the 'I don't know if he could have done anything or if he even tried' category but Paxson should have gotten Skiles and Chandler to work out their differences. If he had, then no Wallace.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#70 » by SimonFish » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:02 pm

1. Can't lead us to the champ
2. Can't lead us to the champ
3. Can't lead us to the champ
4. Can't lead us to the champ
5. Can't lead us to the champ
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#71 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:15 pm

Remember that Paxson was a radio announcer when JR unexpectedly gave him the job - a job that Paxson never anticipated or campaigned to get.

He still has lots to learn. JR is patient - as long as the $$ keeps rolling in.
- -- Chinese proverb
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 127

Post#72 » by SherronShabazz » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:19 pm

the real top 10 mistakes made by john paxson

1. not trading the #7 pick and donyell marshall for dwyane wade

2. trading aldridge for thomas and khryapa

3. insisting eddy curry take a dna test/trading eddy

4. trading chandler. i liked him.

5. trading jr smith. those 2 picks may turn out to be better..but not now.

6. trading mutombo. who cares if he doesnt want to play here?

7. signing pippen

8. getting peanuts for jamal crawford

9. waiving trenton hassell

10. not voiding the contract of jay williams. he shouldnt have got a dime.

its hard for me to say he should have got garnett he should have gotten kobe.

1. i think the lakers wanted our entire roster

2. i think the t wolves only did the deal with the celts because of a friendship between the 2 gm's.

3. pau gasol doesnt do it for me... i think deng has a higher ceiling.

i have heard that paxson wanted wade. pat riley wanted donyell marshall plus the #7 pick and paxson said no... if you ask me thats worse than any "rumored" trade of recent times.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#73 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:27 pm

SherronShabazz wrote:the real top 10 mistakes made by john paxson

1. not trading the #7 pick and donyell marshall for dwyane wade

Both parties said that offer was not available.

2. trading aldridge for thomas and khryapa

Agreed

3. insisting eddy curry take a dna test/trading eddy

With how bad Eddy is, I would take Tyrus or Noah over him, let alone both.

4. trading chandler. i liked him.

Agreed

5. trading jr smith. those 2 picks may turn out to be better..but not now.

Don't really care. Karl has issues with him.

6. trading mutombo. who cares if he doesnt want to play here?

Don't really care.

7. signing pippen

Agreed

8. getting peanuts for jamal crawford

Which is more than he is worth.
9. waiving trenton hassell

Agree

10. not voiding the contract of jay williams. he shouldnt have got a dime.

Didn't really affect the team and created some goodwill towards the organization.

i have heard that paxson wanted wade. pat riley wanted donyell marshall plus the #7 pick and paxson said no... if you ask me thats worse than any "rumored" trade of recent times.

You are way off on that. Miami was dead set on taking Wade. The rumored deal was with Toronto at 4, and both sides have come out since and denied the possibility.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:32 pm

SherronShabazz wrote:

Not only are you dwelling on an internet rumor started by Sam Smith that has since been discredited - you are confusing the teams. It was supposedly Toronto who had the 4th pick who was willing to make the swap - althought their GM had often said that they intended to draft Bosh & never discussed trading the pick with anyone.

Look - there is more than enough stuff to criticize Paxson about. It is not necessary to condemn him for stuff that never was a possibility
- -- Chinese proverb
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#75 » by TB#1 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:55 pm

John MacBeth Paxson has made one, and only one objective, legitimate, verifiable mistake as a member of the Bulls organization.

Early in his Bulls playing career he grew a cheesy mustache.

I'm glad to say he rectified that mistake and has never shown signs of even being tempted to repeat it.

tyrususi007
Senior

Post#76 » by tyrususi007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:18 pm

The Chandler thing, some one said it hurts his numbers in N.O.

He would have never been that productive under Skiles like someone said. But I think Chandlers big jump in numbers has been because of Chris Paul at the point. Let's face it, if the Bulls had a PG like CP3, we might have a better record then the Celts right now.

Chris Paul makes Chandler a better player, or at least he makes him look like one.
Poormansjordan
Junior
And1: 7

Post#77 » by Poormansjordan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:27 pm

I think Pax's most fundamental mistake was building a team that is so painfully boring to watch. Seriously, does anyone honestly enjoy watching this team now that we know that this is pretty much as good as they're ever going to get?
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,092
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#78 » by Clint Eastwood » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:45 pm

TB#1 wrote:John MacBeth Paxson has made one, and only one objective, legitimate, verifiable mistake as a member of the Bulls organization.

Early in his Bulls playing career he grew a cheesy mustache.

I'm glad to say he rectified that mistake and has never shown signs of even being tempted to repeat it.

it was not a mistake. it was the only thing that distinguished him from kyle macy at the time, which maybe is what catapulted his career
eNgIeS
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#79 » by eNgIeS » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:24 pm

ChiBullsFan83 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If you're talking to me, it's just the negativity on this board. There's just way to much of it.

No not at all i was speaking to the person who started this thread

I'm totally with you

The crazy negativeness is way out of control on this forum i strongly agree
Bring back Nocioni!!!
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#80 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:29 pm

I barely read through any of this because I don't want to be swayed one way or the other. I will say that's it's easy to say all the crap that I'm sure exists in this thread with 20/20 hindsight. With that said, I write the following in separate sections and will say that I can't come up with a legit top 10 either -

3) BW signing - Which I consider only a mild mistake given the information at the time. I won't even go into. It's been well chronicled on this board.

2) BG over Iggy - This is more of a personal thing. It's not really a mistake in that Iggy is a much better player than BG because I don't think he is. It's just that I love versatility. When I think of a title team I think of our dynasty Bulls and think of interchangeable, versatile wing players with size. Undersized = bad, has always been my philosophy. Drafting a small 2 guard has handcuffed us by having us need to keep Kirk or obtain a similar Kirk-like player (of which there aren't many of his level) and also use a pick specifically to address the size issue.

1) Thabo over R. Brewer - I am in the minority that still has hope for Thabo in Chicago, but I wanted Brewer as did many here. Wasn't he perfect for the role we needed and more of a known commodity? Pax already took the risk when he drafted TT earlier that night. He shoulda stayed with the better known Brewer than the mysterious international rapper.

As for other popular stuff that I know is out there that can't be considered a mistake:

- Eddy - I understand the heart situation and we got a killer return on the trade considering the circumstances. We had ZERO leverage.
- Tyson - one of those things we'll never know and that is hilarious that people talk like they do as if they were sitting in on private Bull staff meetings. We'll never know if it was Reinsdorf's command that Tyson be moved.
- Kobe/Pau/insert player - similar to the Tyson thing, who the hell knows what the other teams actually wanted. If posters here can't get that through their heads, perhaps they should just be banned for stupidity.

Jury's still out:

Tyrus vs. Lamarcus - way too early to call. Heck, even my #1 mistake that I listed that I actually blame Pax for...Thabo vs. Brewer...that's still too early. Time will tell.

Return to Chicago Bulls