Image ImageImage Image

Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,103

Re: Should Coby Keep Taking So Many Charges? 

Post#81 » by Wingy » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter

WTF?

Coby defends more rim FGA than just about any guard in the league. Unsurprisingly, he's not effective at it given fairly ordinary size/athleticism + short arms.

I'd immediately point to Vuc being one of the worst bigs at the job, and probably having to cover for DeMar/Zach letting guys stroll to the rim, not getting back, etc.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#82 » by Stratmaster » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:25 pm

Wingy wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF?

Coby defends more rim FGA than just about any guard in the league. Unsurprisingly, he's not effective at it given fairly ordinary size/athleticism + short arms.

I'd immediately point to Vuc being one of the worst bigs at the job, and probably having to cover for DeMar/Zach letting guys stroll to the rim, not getting back, etc.

Yep. Always getting beat up for little return.

But I am not sure that graph is telling you what you think it is as it's "compared to expected". I don't know what expected is for a PG. 10% more than expected could be 1 every 3 games.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#83 » by Wingy » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:30 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Wingy wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF?

But I am not sure that graph is telling you what you think it is as it's "compared to expected". I don't know what expected is for a PG. 10% more than expected could be 1 every 3 games.

I’m more concerned that he’s such an outlier compared to other PGs. Only Cade’s in the neighborhood and that can’t be a good thing.

Interestingly DeMar’s pretty high up amongst fwds. But yes, it would be interesting to see the raw data for more context.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,694

Post#84 » by sco » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:16 pm

Wingy wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Wingy wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF?

I’m more concerned that he’s such an outlier compared to other PGs. Only Cade’s in the neighborhood and that can’t be a good thing.

Interestingly DeMar’s pretty high up amongst fwds. But yes, it would be interesting to see the raw data for more context.

I think it has to do with Billy's focus this season on team rebounding (to cover for Vuc) and has the guards in the paint more. I wonder if guard-based rim defense went down while Vuc was out...although there were the minutes with AD was out.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stratmaster » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:21 pm

Wingy wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Wingy wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF?

Agreed

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#86 » by Stratmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 pm

Quick update.

In the first 23 games Coby took 7 charges.
In the 19 games since I started this thread, he has taken 0.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#87 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:07 am

Stratmaster wrote:Quick update.

Well, he has clearly become a diva like the cancerous Zach Lavine. My friend’s brother’s ex-colleague heard they go around together shoving the elderly.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,556

Post#88 » by PaKii94 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:47 am

Wingy wrote:

Well, he has clearly become a diva like the cancerous Zach Lavine. My friend’s brother’s ex-colleague heard they go around together shoving the elderly.

It's obviously Zach telling him stars don't take charges. And then Coby saw jabari Parker's quote on how players aren't paid for defense
rosenthall
Senior
And1: 289

Post#89 » by rosenthall » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:57 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Wingy wrote:

It's obviously Zach telling him stars don't take charges. And then Coby saw jabari Parker's quote on how players aren't paid for defense

Would guess (and hope) his lack of charge taking is due to the fact that he's become a 40 MPGish player who needs to play both sides of the floor, and it takes a lot to sustain yourself doing that over the course of a season. No reason to risk injury or foul trouble just for a charge.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#90 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:07 pm

Wingy wrote:

Yeah. They are partners in crime for sure. Trade them both now.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#91 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:08 pm

rosenthall wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Wingy wrote:

Would guess (and hope) his lack of charge taking is due to the fact that he's become a 40 MPGish player who needs to play both sides of the floor, and it takes a lot to sustain yourself doing that over the course of a season. No reason to risk injury or foul trouble just for a charge.
Thank you! You get it.

Wingy
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:15 pm

Stratmaster wrote:Thank you! You get it.

I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him try since this thread. Just gets called for a block.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#93 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:10 pm

Wingy wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Thank you! You get it.

I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him try since this thread. Just gets called for a block.
He has. And to be clear, I never said he should never take a charge because I would never say never.

It was OBVIOUS despite the meat head mockery in here that he could not continue to play the way he was and survive the season. Blatantly obvious. As he continued to struggle to get up off the floor after getting run over.

The subject wasn't brought up in a vacuum.

And I wouldn't be reviving this all the time if it wasn't for the **** responses by a few who think they know everything while not being able to see the obvious.

Return to Chicago Bulls