Image ImageImage Image

PG: West Coast W

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,096

Re: Bulls @ Blazers 8pm CT 

Post#81 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:55 am

Mirotek wrote:I'm so tired of watching Vuc shoot 3's my god.

Dude is the worst 3pt shooter in the league at his volume.

If he just stops shooting them it helps the whole team!!!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,869

Post#82 » by DuckIII » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:34 am

HomoSapien wrote:Billy showing some confidence in the rook.

Terry is like wtf?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,242

Re: PG: West Coast W 

Post#83 » by Red8911 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:55 am

Always liked Philips he just needs to play more and could definitely turn into a solid 3 and D type of player for the bulls.
Red8911
RealGM

Post#84 » by Red8911 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:58 am

Chi town wrote:

Dude is the worst 3pt shooter in the league at his volume.

If he just stops shooting them it helps the whole team!!!

Yeah he was really bad in this one, all of his 3pt shots were bricks too, no chance of going in.
Red8911
RealGM

Post#85 » by Red8911 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:03 am

pipfan wrote:Another thing-that Port first doesn't look promising-2028 is a long way away and I know Sharpe didn't play, but they suck

Scoot doesn’t look good at all either. He’s supposed to be Lillards replacement? I know he’s a rookie but so far he hasn’t shown much. That’s why tanking for picks is always risky. Many here wanted to go all out to trade for Scoot too.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#86 » by gf2020hotmail » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:02 am

Red8911 wrote:
pipfan wrote:Another thing-that Port first doesn't look promising-2028 is a long way away and I know Sharpe didn't play, but they suck

Scoot doesn’t look good at all either. He’s supposed to be Lillards replacement? I know he’s a rookie but so far he hasn’t shown much. That’s why tanking for picks is always risky. Many here wanted to go all out to trade for Scoot too.

I'd still take him. Rookie Point Guards are notoriously slow to develop with some obvious rare exceptions. Take a look at De'Aaron Fox's first year. He was one of the worst players in basketball.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#87 » by BigUps » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm

He’s on the verge of having a historically bad season from 3. No joke. One of the worst ever in the NBA. It’s been that bad and he keeps shooting them.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#88 » by coldfish » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 pm

BigUps wrote:

He’s on the verge of having a historically bad season from 3. No joke. One of the worst ever in the NBA. It’s been that bad and he keeps shooting them.

What is funny is that teams figured out some time ago that conceding a Vucevic wide open 3 is a good outcome for them. Him shooting that is not creating any spacing because teams aren't following him out there.

Apparently Donovan hasn't got the memo yet. Vuc taking 3's wide open at 26% or whatever is losing basketball.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,575

Post#89 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:59 pm

coldfish wrote:
BigUps wrote:

What is funny is that teams figured out some time ago that conceding a Vucevic wide open 3 is a good outcome for them. Him shooting that is not creating any spacing because teams aren't following him out there.

Apparently Donovan hasn't got the memo yet. Vuc taking 3's wide open at 26% or whatever is losing basketball.

To be fair, playing winning basketball with a big who loves taking jump shots (3s and 2s) is hard when said big is shooting just under 39% on all jumpers this season. The problem with finding the "right shots" for Vuc is that they don't really exist. Ideally, his scoring usage should go down significantly, but within the context of this team that's not a real solution either.

The spacing Vuc showed before the trade was easily the most interesting part of his game. He just never brought it to Chicago.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#90 » by Ice Man » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:18 pm

coldfish wrote:What is funny is that teams figured out some time ago that conceding a Vucevic wide open 3 is a good outcome for them. Him shooting that is not creating any spacing because teams aren't following him out there.

As opponents did with Derrick in 2015 and then Kris Dunn a few years later. We've been here before.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,430

Post#91 » by drosestruts » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm

Glad we pulled out a win after two close losses.

a solid case study in why we tend to go to DeMar in the 4th. DeMar hit some shots and it looked like we were going to pull away, and then pretty much everyone else on the roster takes a turn missing shots, before we go back to DeMar - who in this instance passed out of the double and the team was rewarded with a big shot from Ayo.

I love a good block and Ayo and Phillips both delivered nasty blocks tonight.

Speaking of Phillips was great to see him not only get some minutes but be a positive contributor in those minutes.

I'm not sure Drummond is better than Vuc over all (both have flaws), but Drummond puts pressure on a defense in a way Vuc does not. We got Portland into foul trouble in the 4th so quickly, mainly because of Drummond. And all of that immediatley goes away once we put Vuc back in.

There's also a lot of Vuc shooting poorly discussion in this thread. I think the bigger issue is the Vuc needs to be delivered the ball for his field goal attempts, his self creation ability is absolutley gone. He catches the ball wide open at the 3-point line. Even if he didn't want to take the three other players would be able to drive and maybe collapse a defense, but Vuc doesn't or can't really move with the ball in hand. If he attempted to drive the opposing defense would have plenty of time to get into position to defend it.

I find it amusing in a Bulls way that in the year we hire the shooting coach with perhaps the best reputation in the entire leaggue, Vuc has a career worse shooting performance.

Two games left to close out the month, both are winnable games. I just want the team to stay focused through the all-star break. I felt like last seaosn we played very poorly heading into the all-star break - we need to stay focused.

I still think it's likely we trade Zach - just wanted to give him a shoutout for traveling with the team and being engaged and supportive from the bench. If this guy is asking for a trade - he's not pouting on his way out. He's showing up and cheering on his teammates night after night.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,374

Post#92 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm

coldfish wrote:
BigUps wrote:

At this point right, Vuc is only a theoretical floor spacer. He is not this season. He is about as effective a Drummond as a floor spacer.

The only thing Vuc is actually good for, is his ability to be a facilitator. I will always give him props for that. That is something Drummond doesn't really do.

But for literally everything else, Id take Drummond over Vuc in a heartbeat. Better more efficient scorer, draws fouls and can protect the basket.

Its giving me Boozer vs Taj vibes right now. Boozer was still arguably the better player the first 2 years, but by year 3, Taj was clearly superior. That is this year for Drummond. Basically every single stat other than assists backs that up.
The Cult of Personality
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,914

Post#93 » by The Explorer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:35 pm

coldfish wrote:Apparently Donovan hasn't got the memo yet. Vuc taking 3's wide open at 26% or whatever is losing basketball.

The fact that is possible for an NBA coach to look at those numbers and keep instructing his players to run those play sets is beyond me. How do they pay attention to and give awards for individual defense to players like Derozan, then ignore Vucevic bricking 4 -5 3s a game?
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#94 » by FriedRise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:56 pm

Vooch is better at passing than Drummond, but that's about it. If you pass the ball to Drummond in the paint, it's going up and you're not getting it back. But the flipside to that is, he will aggressively put pressure at the rim and likely get fouled. And if he misses, he'll clean it up.

Our ball movement and offense overall suffer, but our defense, rebounding, and foul drawn rate improve. Drummond has a 5x higher free throw attempts rate than Vooch. Vooch is so pitiful at drawing fouls, he averages only 1.5 FTs PER 36. Like how do you play as a center and never get fouled? Well, by always shying away from contact and never fighting for a rebound.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#95 » by Stratmaster » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Ugly win. Demar to the rescue. Phillips shows promise.

They grabbed a road win against on of the worst teams in the NBA. But you know what...that's all you can do and all that matters when wrapping up a road trip. Nothing much to take from this game other than in the 2nd half our head coach is going to live and die with the same offensive approach he always has. On to the next one.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#96 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Stratmaster wrote:Ugly win. Demar to the rescue. Phillips shows promise.

They grabbed a road win against on of the worst teams in the NBA. But you know what...that's all you can do and all that matters when wrapping up a road trip. Nothing much to take from this game other than in the 2nd half our head coach is going to live and die with the same offensive approach he always has. On to the next one.

Its the circle of life the Bulls board overanalyzing wins against one the worst teams in the league
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#97 » by weneeda2guard » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Good win. Always tough to win on the road and we are one of those teams bad teams think they have a shot to beat and we take their best shot.

Like that both dalen terry and Julian Phillips got some time and made good impact showing they belong. Young pieces need to stand out vs bad teams.

I'm done with vuc and the outside shooting. It has to stop. We have to take that element out of our offense

And I need coby to wake back up and give us more scoring. I really want to see him make the all star team.

3 games under .500 with the raptors and hornets coming up. Then we have the wolves and the kings at home. We got a good chance to get to .500 in the next week or so as long as we least split with the kings and wolves. I think we can upset the kings at home. Wolves are just too good and Edward's is a killer and loves going crazy on us.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,374

Post#98 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:59 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:And I need coby to wake back up and give us more scoring. I really want to see him make the all star team.

It wont happen this year but this is his owing the seed year. You make enough noise the year before you make the team so that next year if he takes another leap he will already be on peoples radar.

What Coby can achieve this year and I would say he's a front runner, is for Most Improved Player.
The Cult of Personality
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,394

Post#99 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:16 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
coldfish wrote:
BigUps wrote:He’s on the verge of having a historically bad season from 3. No joke. One of the worst ever in the NBA. It’s been that bad and he keeps shooting them.

At this point right, Vuc is only a theoretical floor spacer. He is not this season. He is about as effective a Drummond as a floor spacer.

The only thing Vuc is actually good for, is his ability to be a facilitator. I will always give him props for that. That is something Drummond doesn't really do.

But for literally everything else, Id take Drummond over Vuc in a heartbeat. Better more efficient scorer, draws fouls and can protect the basket.

Its giving me Boozer vs Taj vibes right now. Boozer was still arguably the better player the first 2 years, but by year 3, Taj was clearly superior. That is this year for Drummond. Basically every single stat other than assists backs that up.

I have a feeling (no data to back this claim) when Drummond started he was more willing to move the ball. But since he comes off the bench and minutes are sparse for him he is more selfish.

Drummond so good at rebounding that majority of teams have to send two bodies to keep him off the offensive rebound.

He provides space because teams need to have body around him at all times.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#100 » by Stratmaster » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Ugly win. Demar to the rescue. Phillips shows promise.

Its the circle of life the Bulls board overanalyzing wins against one the worst teams in the league

Yep. The opposite is true too. If the Bulls get whipped by Boston the sky will be falling, the team is horrible. there is no future. there is no hope.

We kind of know a few things. the Bulls are better than Detroit, Memphis and Portland. When they lose to one of those teams (and it does happen in the NBA) we should probably analyze and ask the question WTH? The Bulls are worse than the Celtics, Bucks, Thunder. If they happen to beat one of those teams (and it does happen in the NBA), we should probably analyze and ask WTH?

Return to Chicago Bulls