Image ImageImage Image

PM the mods! Courtesy of doughnuts!

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Contact the mods. 

Post#81 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 5:41 pm

ballerkingn2 wrote:ok what in the world got me banned for a week. it claim it was due to personal shots or something like that. Which is just ludicrous and really untrue,if it was a mod here that banned me. Now if it was a mod here it shows 1 of the mod really isn't using there power in the right way. I think it was only because i don't agree with everyone views or i respond to other people personal shots at me. I should be able to debate or discuss issue with anyone about a player or myself,without using profanity . So please if someone here banned me,please can you explain to me what i typed that got me banned for a week. Please don't be scared, we can discuss this like men.

Lets make this clear:

A "mod" didn't suspend you for a week. The discussion of suspension or ban involves participation of all the Bulls mods -- there are currently 8 of us, plus any input retired mods wish to put in -- in this case, at least 2. That is a 10 person discussion before approaching the administrators (or at least 1 administrator -- Howard Mass) with a recommendation, who then reviews the entire situation and reaches a decision, often with additional discussion with the moderating crew and after a review of past warnings and suspensions, etc. (Not every mod participates in every discussion, such is life -- but I think most, if not all chimed in on this case).

We've communicated by email but I add this comment on this thread because even though we've explained all this before, this misconception that a moderator can suspend or ban a poster by himself and can do so out of spite or a personal agenda simply isn't true -- at least here on the RealGm Bulls board. Other sites are clearly different. But here, we go to great lengths to make sure that doesn't happen. Sometimes we reach a very quick consensus. Other times, discussions can get quite heated and drawn out. We, as a crew, are never shy about calling out another mod when we think a reaction is out of line. We check each other. While we are all friends and colleagues, I'm not kidding when I tell you the checking can get occasionally pretty frank and pointed. F bombs get dropped. Resignations get tendered. It can be Total Drama Island sometimes. Not often, but sometimes. We all care. Sometimes to a fault. We care a lot.

Even that system isn't perfect because no system is perfect. But I will put our moderating up against any board, anywhere, in terms of fairness and all out effort to get it right.

------------------------------

I don't want to get too much into your individual situation here on a public thread, but you expressed confusion here about the explanation about "personal attacks" and your belief that any such assertion was untrue. Here is a sampling from the posts leading up to your suspension:

"How long have you been a bulls fan,i've watched them for 10 years straight now"
"its clear to me your either being funny or your blind."
"are your serious is all i got to say to your response not even worth me breaking it down."
"I'm losing more and more respect for you with ever come back. At least make sense."
"get yours eyes check."
"Oh weren't you one of the people i was arguing about signing BW at that time,and i was saying no and you was saying yes. Now how did that signing work out. I beat your before in an argument i don't know why you trying to battle me again."

You edit those comments out from the remainder of the posts they were from and you are fine. The addition of the potshots, taken in context with the whole of your post history, warnings and previous suspensions, got you in trouble. Your reputation from other boards preceded you as well. You get less slack when you have a negative history, as opposed to someone who has a good rep and has an isolated incident.

PS. FWIW, I, for one, am not out to get you. I have communicated with you here and by email because I was relatively neutral about your situation and the group seemed to think I was a good candidate to speak for the team. Honestly, I'd rather see you take the advice to self-edit the editorial potshots and stick to expressing your views without belittling others and have you stick around for the long run. I hope you can do that.
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Bullsville » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:04 pm

TB#1 wrote:Your reputation from other boards preceded you as well. You get less slack when you have a negative history, as opposed to someone who has a good rep and has an isolated incident.

In other words, just like in the NBA, on this board the superstars get all the breaks from the officials. :wink:

But I will put our moderating up against any board, anywhere, in terms of fairness and all out effort to get it right.

Truer words were never spoken, we have the best mods ever.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#83 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:19 pm

Bullsville wrote:
TB#1 wrote:Your reputation from other boards preceded you as well. You get less slack when you have a negative history, as opposed to someone who has a good rep and has an isolated incident.

In other words, just like in the NBA, on this board the superstars get all the breaks from the officials. :wink:

If by "superstars" you mean the 99% of posters who don't have such extensive negative history, yes, I guess. but I can't deny it -- if you are someone who has been a pleasure to post with and deal with for 5 years and suddenly you have one bad day, the reaction will be different from the reaction to someone who has a miserable posting history and suddenly has an even worse than usual bad day.

TB#1 wrote:But I will put our moderating up against any board, anywhere, in terms of fairness and all out effort to get it right.

Truer words were never spoken, we have the best mods ever.

Um...yeah, thanks. You know me from administrating and owning my old board back to 2002 and a reasonable amount of time here now as a Bulls mod. The RealGm mod staff has a ton of collective experience and the newer mods are hand selected with care. Glad that one isn't in green font.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#84 » by Bullsville » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:23 pm

Just to be very clear, I was joking, hence the green font.

We really do have the best mods ever, and I've never seen anyone get suspended who didn't deserve it, myself included.

(that was written before you edited your post)
TB#1
Banned User

Post#85 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:24 pm

Its all good, Bullsville. Like I say, we go way, way back.

The point I was making above though is something I think is important to make clear for everyone, so I want to be sure to clear away any distraction from that.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#86 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 pm

So, uh, its been a year since Ive joined. Can I change my name. I was in contact with Dougthonous, but, he isnt here anymore. Email you guys or just tell you what I want my name to be in this thread?
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#87 » by suckfish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:54 am

Email you guys or just tell you what I want my name to be in this thread?

Either way.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,778

Post#88 » by kyrv » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:13 pm

Well that dare bet thread was very disturbing. I'm not sure if it's better if it was made up or not. :o
Bill Walton wrote: Keep the music playing.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#89 » by jax98 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:17 pm

kyrv wrote:Well that dare bet thread was very disturbing. I'm not sure if it's better if it was made up or not. :o

Who knows with all these 16-year olds these days? I blame Disney Channel.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#90 » by kyrv » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:
kyrv wrote:Well that dare bet thread was very disturbing. I'm not sure if it's better if it was made up or not. :o

Who knows with all these 16-year olds these days? I blame Disney Channel.

Disney and SpongeBob!

I wonder if a bet like this is how Sleepy Floyd got his nickname.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#91 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 pm

suckfish wrote:
Email you guys or just tell you what I want my name to be in this thread?

Either way.

Cool. Can I change it to "Chicago-Bull-E" (like the movie Wall-E, but the bulls). When I contacted the mods a while ago it was available, and i dont think anyone took it. If there is a problem with it, just let me know. Thanks again!!! :D
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#92 » by suckfish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I've put in the request.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#93 » by kyrv » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:25 pm

Hey I just noticed (duh) that when a mod modifies a thread, it doesn't show as them editing it.

So, I've probably been reading threads with comments in blue that I thought people made, when maybe it was the mod. Usually if it's blue font I just look at the last modified thing and see if it shows a blue mod name.

Or maybe it's my firefox settings/addons?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#94 » by BrooklynBulls » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:50 pm

If it's in blue, a mod did it.
ballerkingn2
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#95 » by ballerkingn2 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:22 pm

nope non taken ben,i had a feeling that was gonna happen though. Ill won't post my own thread for awhile on here but just post off other's as i've been doing. Still thought those where some good questions,but its whatever not mad at anything that happens on here anymore.

Plus it was getting to congested on here and i had questions,and that thread was not for just my questions i put that loud and clear in that thread it was for everyone who maybe had other questions that was looking for some answer to help out with the congestion on here. That was why i started the thread in the 1st place,but again whatever.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#96 » by Ben » Fri Jul 3, 2009 7:59 pm

ballerkingn2 wrote:nope non taken ben,i had a feeling that was gonna happen though. Ill won't post my own thread for awhile on here but just post off other's as i've been doing. Still thought those where some good questions,but its whatever not mad at anything that happens on here anymore.

Plus it was getting to congested on here and i had questions,and that thread was not for just my questions i put that loud and clear in that thread it was for everyone who maybe had other questions that was looking for some answer to help out with the congestion on here. That was why i started the thread in the 1st place,but again whatever.

Great. Thanks for the response. I agree that you had good questions in there. Please just find a spot in open threads to put them. I'd like to see some of them discussed.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,900

Post#97 » by MAQ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 am

hey, i was wondering if someone could give me doug's email
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#98 » by Bullsville » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 am

MAQ wrote:hey, i was wondering if someone could give me doug's email

I know that you can get it at bullsbeat.com for sure.
dafunky1
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Post#99 » by dafunky1 » Sat Aug 1, 2009 9:25 pm

TY Ben B.........................i have read the rules will abide by them. My mistake and in the future i will do my best to obey.......thanks again
Scott May
Head Coach
And1: 24

Post#100 » by Scott May » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 am

I had a thought based on something Tommy wrote in the "how'd you get your user name" thread -- can my screen name be changed to

Scott May

?

I think when I signed up you couldn't have spaces in a user ID, but if that's changed, I'd like a space, please!

Thanks.
On indefinite hiatus as of May 27, 2014.

Return to Chicago Bulls