Image ImageImage Image

Official Chicago Sky Thread - Sky WNBA CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: Official Chicago Sky Thread - Sky in WBNA finals (pg 19) 

Post#461 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:I’m so happy Chicago Sky fans and franchise.

With both EDD and Sylvia successfully “Ben Simmons” us then to go off and win championships themselves.

To come out have this champion run hopefully renewed interest in the WNBA for Chicago fans.

Happy to see two of our own to big contributors.

Big win for WNBA basketball IMO

Is there a reason why players would force themselves out of Chicago? I know why for EDD but it seemed like we never had the "big names". As someone who doesn't watch the WNBA, I thought Phoenix would probably beat us with Griner, Taurasi, and Diggins as those are all names I easily recognize. Only recognized Parker on the Sky

Allie Quigley and Courtney Vandersloot were both here and contributors.

During that time EDD led that SKY team to finals vs the Mercury and lost.

2015 Ben Simmons us for the lynx. Fowles won champion with the lynx after that.

2016 EDD sat out / traded and eventually won Championship.

Chicago Sky has had the pieces but top talent rather be somewhere else.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,365

Post#462 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Happy for Candice Parker and the Sky.

Its extra sweet because she didnt have to come back home to play. But she felt it was time. So glad she won a chip right away for her city. It was sooooo unlikely when the season started and they were a 6th seed to start. They looked like the best team in the playoffs. An Unbelievable run
The Cult of Personality
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,825

Post#463 » by Dominator83 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:13 pm

Congrats and thank you Candace
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#464 » by weneeda2guard » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:13 pm

"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Re: Official Chicago Sky Thread - Sky WNBA CHAMPS!!! 

Post#465 » by BullChit » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 pm

I may be from Australia but I have always had an affinity towards Chicago sports and honestly I am so happy for the Sky, the ladies and the city of Chicago in general.

Let's hope it's a sign of things to come across the board for Chicago sports!

So I'm gonna get my full Aussie on and say 'On ya ladies!!!
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,837

Post#466 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:39 am

Why so serious?
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,612

Post#467 » by jacoby1us » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:59 am

Congrats ladies!
Job well done.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#468 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:32 am

TyrusRose2425 wrote:

With both EDD and Sylvia successfully “Ben Simmons” us then to go off and win championships themselves.

To come out have this champion run hopefully renewed interest in the WNBA for Chicago fans.

Is there a reason why players would force themselves out of Chicago? I know why for EDD but it seemed like we never had the "big names". As someone who doesn't watch the WNBA, I thought Phoenix would probably beat us with Griner, Taurasi, and Diggins as those are all names I easily recognize. Only recognized Parker on the Sky

The Sky have been a pretty bad franchise since their inception. They’ve made playoff runs here and there but usually it was with a losing record. Fowles and EDD probably wanted out of the dysfunctional mess.

The Sky turned around when Wade came in and partially bolstered by the EDD trade that netted them the #2 pick in that draft.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Post#469 » by RSP83 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 am

Really awesome win. Is Candace retiring after this? I would I if were her. Storybook ending to a great career. She's also already building a good second career in broadcasting.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#470 » by greenwing » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:

The Sky have been a pretty bad franchise since their inception. They’ve made playoff runs here and there but usually it was with a losing record. Fowles and EDD probably wanted out of the dysfunctional mess.

The Sky turned around when Wade came in and partially bolstered by the EDD trade that netted them the #2 pick in that draft.

That pick went nowhere. Usually the teams that trade away stars do not get fair value. While the Sky did get the number 2 pick in the draft they wasted it on Coates. Pretty bad draft overall with only one all star at this point. But the trade in retrospect worked out spectacularly for both teams. EDD won a ring and the real return the Sky received was Copper and Dolson.

In any case, I’m ecstatic for the Sky. I will always be a Candace Parker fan (I’ve known her for years) and couldn’t be happier that she’s back home. I was always bummed that the Sparks turned down the supposed offer of Fowles and a future first rounder for Candace on draft night. But she’s a generational talent so it didn’t surprise me in the least. At least I seem to recall that was the offer on the table, anyway.

Candace does a ton of things on the court that does not show up in a box score. There’s a reason why the Sky have an abysmal record when she doesn’t play. They need her leadership on the court and she does a lot of the little things that puts your team in a position to win. She really was the missing piece for this team.

I hope that she will give next season another go since their title window is open as long as she is here. It will be interesting to see if they stick with pretty much the exact same roster or if another aging star player may bolt to join the Sky in the offseason. Anyway, congrats to the Chicago Sky on their first championship!!! And let’s keep things rolling with this exciting Bulls roster this coming season, Chicago!
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#471 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm

EDD has an older sister that is blind, deaf, autistic and has cerebral palsy, and she is very protective of. It's the reason why she transferred out of UCONN back in the day and it's the reason why she requested a trade out of Chicago. Fowles wanted no part of the dysfunction, that is why she was dealt.

Those young women earned that title. The record does not reflect the season the Sky had. When Parker was healthy, the Sky was a top 2 team in the league. They would have been closer to a 23 win team/ top 2 seed had Parker been healthy. So the Sky kicking ass in the playoffs, comes as no surprise to me.

Congratulations to the Sky, the earned and deserve this title.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,321

Post#472 » by d boy gentleman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Congrats to the Sky; indeed it was an exciting series. The only black mark was the poor sportsmanship displayed by the Mercury after the game. To leave your coach high and dry afterwards and decline to be interviewed was childish. You were the higher seed, had homeport advantage and you blew it with the player voted and the G.O.A.T by the fans and the most non athletic and non dominant 6'9" player I've ever seen
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
BeKuK
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#473 » by BeKuK » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Another great championship for the great city of Chicago!!!! CONGRATS CHICAGO SKY!
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,830

Post#474 » by Jcool0 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=EDuR1ZC6S5sNjMNy0KxdkA&s=19
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#475 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:51 am

greenwing wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Is there a reason why players would force themselves out of Chicago? I know why for EDD but it seemed like we never had the "big names". As someone who doesn't watch the WNBA, I thought Phoenix would probably beat us with Griner, Taurasi, and Diggins as those are all names I easily recognize. Only recognized Parker on the Sky

That pick went nowhere. Usually the teams that trade away stars do not get fair value. While the Sky did get the number 2 pick in the draft they wasted it on Coates. Pretty bad draft overall with only one all star at this point. But the trade in retrospect worked out spectacularly for both teams. EDD won a ring and the real return the Sky received was Copper and Dolson.

In any case, I’m ecstatic for the Sky. I will always be a Candace Parker fan (I’ve known her for years) and couldn’t be happier that she’s back home. I was always bummed that the Sparks turned down the supposed offer of Fowles and a future first rounder for Candace on draft night. But she’s a generational talent so it didn’t surprise me in the least. At least I seem to recall that was the offer on the table, anyway.

Candace does a ton of things on the court that does not show up in a box score. There’s a reason why the Sky have an abysmal record when she doesn’t play. They need her leadership on the court and she does a lot of the little things that puts your team in a position to win. She really was the missing piece for this team.

I hope that she will give next season another go since their title window is open as long as she is here. It will be interesting to see if they stick with pretty much the exact same roster or if another aging star player may bolt to join the Sky in the offseason. Anyway, congrats to the Chicago Sky on their first championship!!! And let’s keep things rolling with this exciting Bulls roster this coming season, Chicago!

For some reason I was thinking that Copper ended up being the pick but that was Coates. I have a tendency to block out terrible picks I hate with Chicago basketball teams. :lol:
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#476 » by Sinistar6 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 am

Wanted to post some love here. Congrats Champs!!
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#477 » by chifan1798 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 am

Nice job for the ladies to bring a championship to the Chi!!! :rockon:
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 271

Post#478 » by WookieOnRitalin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:05 am

I think I concur that it is great to see the Sky win the championship, but I have to get some thoughts off my chest. I have not read much in this thread (full disclosure).

I am going to take a real bad position here and it's not that I want to be antagonistic or misogynistic, but here's my question. How long do they plan to keep this league going? They have tried to find a variety of ways to make the WNBA interesting and profitable, but it seems none of it has worked. Female audiences do not even tune in who you would think would be its biggest supporters considering it is one of the few female professional leagues that exists.

Systemically, the WNBA is an afterthought to the majority of the sports public. It appears to me that most people view it as something think should exist, but have no interest in supporting because, well, it's not as interesting as other sports (almost 100% male). This is not a slight on the women who play the game. They work hard. They play hard, but after almost 25 years, the league is a loser. Without the NBA, the league does not exist. Seen another way, the NBA generates 3x the revenue in one week of play than the WNBA generates in its entirety.

The Sky winning the championship has a similar feel to the Wolves winning championships in the old IHL days. Cool, but ultimately forgettable. Let's be honest here. How many posters here really have an emotional connection to the team, league, and players to the same level as the Chicago Bulls. Think about why that is and what makes it so different and lastly, do you think that it will ever change?

Just thoughts and I appreciate having the ability to express these thoughts to the group. I do invite critiques and varying viewpoints on this topic.
"As you think, so shall you become." --- Bruce Lee
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#479 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:35 am

WookieOnRitalin wrote:. The Sky winning the championship has a similar feel to the Wolves winning championships in the old IHL days. Cool, but ultimately forgettable. Let's be honest here. How many posters here really have an emotional connection to the team, league, and players to the same level as the Chicago Bulls. Think about why that is and what makes it so different and lastly, do you think that it will ever change?

How many of posters on this site would have been Bulls fans if they had not lived in or around the surrounding area of Chicago, or became fans during the MJ era?

I've been a fan of the Sky since the Candice Dupree era. It's simply a shame more people don't know more about the Sky.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant

Post#480 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:04 am

Watching the Sky troll Taurisi at the parade was fan-damn-tastic.

Return to Chicago Bulls