Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#61 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:49 am

Dan Z wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
If he's not in the rotation is he much of an NBA player?

I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about his potential and where they think he might be in the near future.

unfortunately that's kinda been the wave of the NBA draft young 19 year olds and hope they can contribute if not they can potentially become low rotational players on a cheap contract.

First two to 3 years of players on any decent team is typically end of bench rotations look at the warriors and their young picks.

That's true, but even the Warriors have given some playing time to their young players to see what they have in them.

Kuminga and Moody got more playing time than Terry did his rookie season and I'd bet they continue to play more than him going forward. And that's on a winning team with vets in front of them in the rotation.

Andre Drummond was a rotation player on winning teams the last few seasons and he wasn't consistently in Billy's rotation either last season. Perhaps we have a coach who's not that good with his rotations.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#62 » by Wingy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:48 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:
unfortunately that's kinda been the wave of the NBA draft young 19 year olds and hope they can contribute if not they can potentially become low rotational players on a cheap contract.

First two to 3 years of players on any decent team is typically end of bench rotations look at the warriors and their young picks.

That's true, but even the Warriors have given some playing time to their young players to see what they have in them.

Kuminga and Moody got more playing time than Terry did his rookie season and I'd bet they continue to play more than him going forward. And that's on a winning team with vets in front of them in the rotation.

Andre Drummond was a rotation player on winning teams the last few seasons and he wasn't consistently in Billy's rotation either last season. Perhaps we have a coach who's not that good with his rotations.

DJJ consistently sat despite playing well in his limited minutes as well, and he has these two guy pitted against each other when DJJ should’ve played way more PF.

I’d also argue the Warriors didn’t play JK and MM to see what they have in them. Nor did they have a lot of vets in front of them. Their bench was paper thin and they played the kids, esp JK, because they had to. Their title bench felt like a cap casualty, and then Wiggins long absence opened up time as well.

Not a fan of Dalen the pick. Nor of his limited ceiling. But the results of this poll are awfully harsh. He isn’t some Marko.
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,520

Post#63 » by greenl » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:27 pm

Wingy wrote:
Not a fan of Dalen the pick. Nor of his limited ceiling. But the results of this poll are awfully harsh. He isn’t some Marko.

To be fair to those who voted "No"- we don't have enough evidence yet to say (definitively) "yes". One could make the argument that he is an NBA level player due to his presence on an NBA roster. However, the body of work he's shown so far screams "playing overseas after 1 nba contract". Right now- at best- he's a non-descript fringe NBA player.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,563

Post#64 » by Andi Obst » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:41 pm

Right now? Probably not. He has some interesting tools, though. Seems to be a hard worker as well.

He's 20. Who knows what he will be.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,845

Post#65 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:55 pm

Dan Z wrote:What do you think of Julian Phillips? I have no idea what to think of him so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell into the same situation that Terry is in (little to no playing time at the NBA level...not ready yet...some time in the G League).

The only thing I think of Phillips is we traded two second rounders for him, and if you look at other players that just went for 2 seconds like Obi Toppin or CJ Martin, that feels like a poor use of two seconds. That's really not on Phillips though. I more or less assume all 2nd rounders will flop and Phillips seems to have legit athleticism if he can pan out, so there's a shot he's really good if he can put some skills together, probably a long shot since if he was likely to do that he probably wouldn't be a 19 year old 2nd rounder.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#66 » by Wingy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:51 pm

greenl wrote:
Wingy wrote:

To be fair to those who voted "No"- we don't have enough evidence yet to say (definitively) "yes". One could make the argument that he is an NBA level player due to his presence on an NBA roster. However, the body of work he's shown so far screams "playing overseas after 1 nba contract". Right now- at best- he's a non-descript fringe NBA player.

Even in his extremely limited minutes, we've seen him play some disruptive defense and bring positive, team lifting energy in non-garbage time.

Yes, he's going to suck and screw some things up because he was a rookie, but he was also a victim of 2 things:
1. The ridiculously awful roster construction that featured redundant redundancy (so stupid, I redundantly used the word redundant)
2. The short-sighted, insanely terrible, generational talent avoiding, zenith of stupidity awfulness of the org's relentless pursuit of the playin

Put him on a team that's less dysfunctional, and I imagine it would be pretty clear that he's going to be a solid NBA defensive role player.
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#67 » by Guru » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:58 pm

What kind of player do you want in a lineup of
White-Lavine-X-Williams-Vuc?
White-Derozan-X-Williams-Vuc?

Not only is he an NBA player he is probably an ideal wing with those lineups. Run the floor, pick up the intensity on D. Some interchangeableness with Williams dependent on the lineup we are facing. Doesn't need the ball in his hands at all to make an impact.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 pm

Guru wrote:What kind of player do you want in a lineup of

Not only is he an NBA player he is probably an ideal wing with those lineups. Run the floor, pick up the intensity on D. Some interchangeableness with Williams dependent on the lineup we are facing. Doesn't need the ball in his hands at all to make an impact.

The answer in both scenarios is someone who can defend and shoot. He seems totally incapable of one of those things and it remains to be seen how capable he is at the other, but non-shooting defenders are vet min players.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#69 » by Dan Z » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:21 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Dan Z wrote:What do you think of Julian Phillips? I have no idea what to think of him so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell into the same situation that Terry is in (little to no playing time at the NBA level...not ready yet...some time in the G League).

The only thing I think of Phillips is we traded two second rounders for him, and if you look at other players that just went for 2 seconds like Obi Toppin or CJ Martin, that feels like a poor use of two seconds. That's really not on Phillips though. I more or less assume all 2nd rounders will flop and Phillips seems to have legit athleticism if he can pan out, so there's a shot he's really good if he can put some skills together, probably a long shot since if he was likely to do that he probably wouldn't be a 19 year old 2nd rounder.

I generally feel the same way about what the Bulls traded for him. Also, and I've said this before, I wanted the Bulls to make that trade for Leonard Miller instead of Phillips (Miller went in the 2nd round for two 2nd round picks). So far Miller has done well in the Summer League, but it's still early.
Guru
Starter

Post#70 » by Guru » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:38 pm

dougthonus wrote:

The answer in both scenarios is someone who can defend and shoot. He seems totally incapable of one of those things and it remains to be seen how capable he is at the other, but non-shooting defenders are vet min players.

White-Williams and Vuc can space the floor and shoot. With Terry you are getting someone that can slash, run the floor and defend.
Guru
Starter

Post#71 » by Guru » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:49 pm

Here is his Athletic write up....I think its on point.

STRENGTHS
Consensus four-star, top-50 player in the 2020 recruiting class. Had a developmental freshman season as he needed to add
strength. Broke out as a sophomore. Was a key cog for one of the best teams in the country, helping to lead Arizona to a Pac-12
title and a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Made the Pac-12 All-Defense team in 2022 as he was a menacing glue guy who
made an impact on both ends.
Phenomenal size and frame for an NBA wing at 6-foot-7 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan. Has great lateral quickness and is a genuine
NBA athlete. Just flies around out there. An extremely active presence who constantly gives his team energy. On top of that, has
a very enthusiastic attitude with a motor that never quits. A positive person to have on the court, someone who plays with a ton
of flair in a fun, enjoyable way.
Offensively, it’s all about Terry’s ability to just make things happen. Phenomenal playmaker with the ball in his hands because
of his vision and decision-making. Grabs and goes on the break and makes early decisions that result in clean looks to either
3-point kickouts or toward the rim. Attacks the rim at a high level with real vertical pop if he gets a lane he can fill. Partnered
well with Azuolas Tubelis and Christian Koloko to deliver on-time reads either in transition toward the basket or on lobs in
half-court settings as they waited in the dunker spot. Runs ball screens really well. I thought Arizona’s offense ran better with
him at the point than with Kerr Kriisa. I think he’s a bit better looking toward the rim than looking out for kickouts, as he also
throws some ridiculous bounce passes to cutters from the corner for easy buckets through tight windows. Given how aggressive
he can be as a playmaker with some of his reads, it’s somewhat incredible he posted a 3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Threw
enough high-degree-of-difficulty passes that you would have expected that number to be higher.
Has improved as a scorer. Constantly available as a cutting presence. Plays smart. Showcased his ability to sink catch-and-shoot
jumpers by the end of the year. Made 35.6 percent from 3 and 34.4 percent on catch-and-shoots. Terry needs to be set and
standing still right now, but he can make them if left open. Can handle the ball and get to the rim attacking closeouts. Really
rises to dunk and finish with his length. Also uses his length well around the basket on non-dunks, showcasing some fun
inside-hand finishes and long-armed floaters. Made 55.4 percent of his finishes at the rim, per Synergy, a solid number for a
player who self-created many of those looks.
The defensive end is the best part of Terry’s game. Earned his All-Defense nod in the Pac-12 by flying all over the place. He
is extremely aggressive as an on-ball defender. Attacks an opposing player’s dribble using his length and crawls into his
space. Annoys wings on the perimeter. Knows how to get into a player’s space on drives while simultaneously backpedaling
and not getting hit with a foul call. Currently might actually be better on smaller perimeter players than he is on wings. He
fights through screens exceptionally well by getting skinny and never quitting on the play, almost always getting a contest
from behind. Even if he gets nicked by the opposing player, he battles through the contact by getting his front leg around and
swimming through. Uses his mix of quickness and length to swallow up players.
Terry is an extremely active help defender. Showcases terrific anticipation off the ball. Makes rotations that sometimes look
like they’re early on the ball, but he’s just reading the play and arriving toward the action so quickly that he’s there to double and
block a shot at the rim or go for a strip. Shoots passing lanes with ease and forces turnovers. Great quick twitch and reactivity
and has long arms. Loves to go for the steal to try to get out in transition for easy buckets. You always have to be aware of where
he is; otherwise, you’re cooked.
WEAKNESSES
Physically, he’s currently a bit underdeveloped in terms of his frame. He shouldn’t have any problem adding weight, but there
are times when he gets pushed around too easily. Probably will struggle a bit early in his career while he adds more physicality.
Needs to play at an elevated level of aggressiveness. He gets a bit overzealous at times, and he might struggle to avoid foul calls
until he gets that physicality.
The swing skill here is shooting. If Terry shoots at a high level, he’s going to be a remarkably effective player. But there are some
concerns. At times, he has a bit of a pause at the top of his shooting motion. It takes him a while to load into the shot. Really
2022 NBA DRAFT GUIDE 42
needs to be set with his feet ahead of time. Has a significant ball dip that adds a lot of movement to his shot, which adds more
pieces that could potentially go wrong. Right now, I don’t see him as anything resembling a movement shooter. He will need to
keep working to iron out mechanical issues. These were the big reasons he wasn’t a volume shooter at Arizona and likely won’t
be early in his NBA career.
Scoring generally is still a concern if the shooting doesn’t come together. Needs the shot to open the floor for him. Has zero
in-between game right now. Made five midrange shots all season, all of which were floaters except for one. Having said that, his
floater isn’t all that effective. He made only 26 percent of his floater attempts this past season. Doesn’t really get any elevation on
it — and it’s a two-footed jump-stop flip shot. Terry needs to improve the consistency of its release point. Typically, the benefit
of a floater like his is that it’s on-balance, but Terry’s often is not. He needs something to keep defenders honest in this range.
SUMMARY
Terry has been one of my favorites throughout the year. He was targeted early as someone I thought would be an exciting 2023
first-round prospect because of his athleticism, attitude, ability to switch and defend multiple positions, and gifts to make plays
as a passer for his teammates while also making good decisions. It’s exceptionally hard to find this combination of skills in a
player at the college level. Arizona was 11 points per 100 possessions better when Terry was on the court, per Pivot Analysis, in
large part because he impacts the game in so many different facets. It’s hard to see how Terry is not a starter-quality player if
the shot translates. He just brings so many things NBA teams are looking for from non-star players. The shot is questionable
mechanically that I think I would pass on him in the top 12 or so, but Terry should be on the board from that point forward. His
upside as the kind of guy who impacts winning with a small jumper improvement in a few years is just too high.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#72 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Guru wrote:White-Williams and Vuc can space the floor and shoot. With Terry you are getting someone that can slash, run the floor and defend.

Vuc can't space the floor, he's a below average shooter. He'll also probably just be a trash player all together by the time Terry is even playable in the NBA, and it's more likely than not that you won't replace Vuc with a good shooter.

There's not a whole lot of evidence that Terry is an effective slasher or really effective at anything whatsoever outside of "energy player".

In the role you described, Javonte Green is better than Terry at more or less everything. If Terry can't learn to shoot, he's a vet min guy. That's really it, that's the whole thing for him. He has to learn to shoot.
@doug_thonus on twitter
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#73 » by MikeDC » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:44 pm

X in either of those lineups is pretty obviously a PF, so it's not Dalen Terry. It's a guy like KD, AD, Giannis, JJJ, Evan Mobley, Aaron Gordon, Pascal Siakam.

Terry's not even the right kind of player.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,390

Post#74 » by drosestruts » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm

Justifying a players (Terry) role by his fit with another player (Vuc) that Doug strongly dislikes isn't going to help you sell him haha
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#75 » by sco » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:03 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Are we differentiating between being an NBA-level player and a rotation player? I think those are two different things personally. He's good enough to be in the NBA, but I think he's a year away from being a rotation player.

I don’t think it’s clear that he’ll be in the league in 3 years. It’s not clear he won’t be, either. But has not shown me anywhere near enough to just assume he’ll stick.

I don't think anyone here is super high on him, but I think he theoretically has promising aspects:

1. His enthusiasm/energy.
2. Defensive potential.
3. Rebounding potential for a wing.
4. Vision.

Again, he's so far away from being a contributor that all these "strengths" are very much theoretical, but I think he has shown flashes in the few instances that he's gotten minutes.

This reads like my college frat brother's description of his sister that he wanted to fix me up with:

1. Great personality
2. Amazing fashion sense
3. Very smart
4. Doesn't need to wear her glasses
:clap:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,236

Post#76 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:16 pm

sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
I don’t think it’s clear that he’ll be in the league in 3 years. It’s not clear he won’t be, either. But has not shown me anywhere near enough to just assume he’ll stick.

I don't think anyone here is super high on him, but I think he theoretically has promising aspects:

2. Defensive potential.
4. Vision.

Again, he's so far away from being a contributor that all these "strengths" are very much theoretical, but I think he has shown flashes in the few instances that he's gotten minutes.

This reads like my college frat brother's description of his sister that he wanted to fix me up with:

1. Great personality
2. Amazing fashion sense
3. Very smart

And? Did you put a ring on it?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Post#77 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:21 pm

sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

2. Defensive potential.
4. Vision.

1. Great personality
2. Amazing fashion sense
3. Very smart

I almost choked on my lunch.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,520

Post#78 » by greenl » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:49 pm

sco wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

2. Defensive potential.
4. Vision.

1. Great personality
2. Amazing fashion sense
3. Very smart

Lol. This is perfect.

In Dalen Terry's defense, he:

1) Shows up for practice every day
2) Never leaves a mess in the locker room
3) Doesn't miss 100% of his shots
4) Owns a 52inch big screen tv
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
Guru
Starter

Post#79 » by Guru » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:08 am

dougthonus wrote:
Guru wrote:White-Williams and Vuc can space the floor and shoot. With Terry you are getting someone that can slash, run the floor and defend.

Vuc can't space the floor, he's a below average shooter. He'll also probably just be a trash player all together by the time Terry is even playable in the NBA, and it's more likely than not that you won't replace Vuc with a good shooter.

There's not a whole lot of evidence that Terry is an effective slasher or really effective at anything whatsoever outside of "energy player".

In the role you described, Javonte Green is better than Terry at more or less everything. If Terry can't learn to shoot, he's a vet min guy. That's really it, that's the whole thing for him. He has to learn to shoot.

Your hate for Vuc is so delusional. Clouds all your posts.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#80 » by PJSteven22 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:59 am

Guru wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Your hate for Vuc is so delusional. Clouds all your posts.

It’s not hate. Strong criticism but not hate.

Return to Chicago Bulls