Image ImageImage Image

Assessing Caruso's trade value

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 978

Assessing Caruso's trade value 

Post#1 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:38 am

Caruso's trade value is interesting to me. He is signed to a super.cheap contract. His defensive impact is massive. The thing is, do defensive wings typically command much in a trade? He would be such an important piece on a contending team. Literally every contender would want him. What do you think he could net? I'm wondering if Philly would be willing to send the unprotected 2028 LAC pick in a trade for him. If not, I can see him costing a couple 1sts.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,445

Re: Assessing Caruso's trade value 

Post#2 » by Muzbar » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:51 am

I think his impact on this team is very clear, I'm certain that this team would only have 3 wins without him.

He's been shooting lights out so far this year too and has been hitting some clutch shots.

He's not just a defensive player.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#3 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:58 pm

Obviously what he does for us makes him our best player and best asset but it is not like that if he goes elsewhere and people have to realize that, he gets traded to a contender he is not a "Top 3" piece like he is in Chicago, he is a role player. He is worth a 1st rounder tops and that is really it. Obviously if we were trading him to the same role he is here then yes you could argue 2 1st round picks or a youth and 1st but its not that. Same reason how DEN ended up with Bruce Brown cheaply originally or KCP, Its the same concept as why LBJ's friends always get paid significantly because they look like studs next to him then go elsewhere and are crap. Good players look amazing on bad teams, bad players can look really good on good teams.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,563

Post#4 » by Andi Obst » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Obviously what he does for us makes him our best player and best asset but it is not like that if he goes elsewhere and people have to realize that, he gets traded to a contender he is not a "Top 3" piece like he is in Chicago, he is a role player. He is worth a 1st rounder tops and that is really it. Obviously if we were trading him to the same role he is here then yes you could argue 2 1st round picks or a youth and 1st but its not that.

Why? It's not like AC has a big offensive role and takes a lot of shots. He doesn't even play that much (24 MPG).

He should absolutely have the same role on pretty much any team.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#5 » by Wingy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:57 pm

I can see two late firsts max, so maybe two lottery protected.

Hard to say really. He’s easily worth a pick, but two is a tough pill to swallow if I’m another fanbase. All depends on demand, and the interested teams. Say, two picks to OKC is very different than two picks to say…the Chicago Bulls.

Feels more like 1.5, but since you can’t obviously do half a pick, maybe we get a serviceable player who’s worth being in most any team’s rotation but is no AC of course + a lightly protected first. Or a young disappointment we can hope to salvage - some other team’s Patrick Williams.

Something like…
OKC sends Dieng, Poku, top 4 protected first.

Poku is more salary filler. Dieng isn’t really a bust, but I see him as a good “half” since we’ll probably be more like 1.5 years into his rookie contract once a trade actually goes down. Can’t shoot yet (cringe), but 20.5 years old and some intriguing skills for a guy his size. Presti hasn’t messed up many picks lately so, he must have talent somewhere if he was their pick.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#6 » by Andi Obst » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:01 pm

Wingy wrote:OKC sends Dieng, Poku, top 4 protected first.

I don't think OKC would do that because they love Cason Wallace and their guard rotation seems pretty much set in general. In terms of value, though, I think that kind of deal could be possible.

Maybe Davion Mitchell and a lightly protected future first from Sacramento? AC would be such an awesome fit for the Kings.

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#7 » by FriedRise » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:14 pm

Caruso is an elite role player who can impact the game on both ends of the floor, but not in a star-like manner. He's not gonna drop 20 on you on a nightly basis, but he's gonna force your team to play a different way and kill you on the other end if you leave him open. He's obviously worked on his 3 this summer, as he's one of the two players on this team who will not hesitate to shoot when open (the other one is Carter). On top of all that, he's on a very team friendly deal.

Trade-wise, he's gonna be most valuable to a contender, but at the same time, contenders tend to be asset-poor. The few assets they do have, they're likely gonna keep to try to bid for a star so it's a tricky situation IMO. If you're making a deal, I think the move is to package him with one of the Mid 3 to amplify the return. He can easily be the sweetener - or turn a negative value into a positive - if there's a piece you really like.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#8 » by Wingy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Andi Obst wrote:
Wingy wrote:OKC sends Dieng, Poku, top 4 protected first.

I don't think OKC would do that because they love Cason Wallace and their guard rotation seems pretty much set in general. In terms of value, though, I think that kind of deal could be possible.

Maybe Davion Mitchell and a lightly protected future first from Sacramento? AC would be such an awesome fit for the Kings.

AC can play forward too, though. I didn’t see him as any particular position, and that’s part of the beauty. Wallace is listed as 2” shorter, but in any case I saw AC as a bench player for them, plugging in wherever the matchup called for.

I had the Kings idea too. Have floated AC/PWill for Barnes/Colby Jones/2 firsts (top 4 protected). Kings fans seem pretty high on the Jones kid, but that’s not atypical of any fanbase. I feel like it’s one of those where neither fanbase is happy, so maybe it’s actually fair??

They are really dumb if they don’t move him. Really, really dumb. I mean, we already think they’re really dumb, but they don’t have to keep proving it to us. The more I think, the more the two firsts, or first and younger piece return seems possible. He just fits everywhere, that value contract, experience, fan favorite, etc. and the competitiveness of the league right now…his value has got to be all time high.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#9 » by ChettheJet » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:41 pm

He's shooting better this year.

I know I'm the only one but if he's the defensive difference for a team, are you telling me that without him the Bulls would be that much farther under .500? His scoring average for the Bulls is like 5.4ppg, and what has everybody and his brother said the Bulls have lacked? Shooting. So if they're going to add shooting then the 5.4ppg guy is the one you need to sit down in favor of somebody who can make more than a 2 and 3pt shot per game. Then you have to factor in that he gets injured about every 2 weeks, so they end up playing Ayo that much more anyway

He's at the peak of his reputation and thus value. I keep harping on it but one trade is no big deal, they've got to see what they can get from which teams for him, Zach and Demar even Vuc or Drummond. More and more I see several 3 team deals. The best trading partner for each isn't the individual return, you don't have to look like you WIN every deal, what matters is the total that comes back, expiring contracts, young need to prove themselves kids, young veterans with reasonable contracts and picks. Not all of any category in every trade, not trying to move 2 or 3 of those guys in one mega trade machine deal.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#10 » by Andi Obst » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:57 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I know I'm the only one but if he's the defensive difference for a team, are you telling me that without him the Bulls would be that much farther under .500?

I'd say it's realistic to assume that the Bulls would have 2 wins less without AC.

He's easily been the Bulls' best player this season so far IMO. Now obviously, that should never be the case on any team because that automatically means your "main guys" suck, but that's clearly been the case so far for the Bulls.

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#11 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:06 pm

Caruso has always been a solid 3 point shooter (over 37% for his career.

I said all last season he just needed to be encouraged to shoot more.

This season, his PER36 numbers are 15/5/4 with 2.3 steals and 1.4 blocks.

He is not a 1 trick pony. He is elite at 1 trick and solid at everything else. The only question is durability.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:08 pm

If the Bulls traded Zach and Caruso tomorrow, they might set the NBA record for consecutive losses this season.

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#13 » by sco » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:14 pm

If we want a signal that the Bulls are in an all-out tank, a Caruso trade is the best indicator.
:clap:
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,321

Post#14 » by kodo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:14 pm

ChettheJet wrote:He's shooting better this year.

I know I'm the only one but if he's the defensive difference for a team, are you telling me that without him the Bulls would be that much farther under .500? His scoring average for the Bulls is like 5.4ppg, and what has everybody and his brother said the Bulls have lacked? Shooting. So if they're going to add shooting then the 5.4ppg guy is the one you need to sit down in favor of somebody who can make more than a 2 and 3pt shot per game. Then you have to factor in that he gets injured about every 2 weeks, so they end up playing Ayo that much more anyway

Without AC instead of the 5th best defense last year, we'd be below average at least around 20th if not worse. Teams that are that bad on offense & defense generally win 20-something games. So I'd say conservatively last year's Bulls are about a 30 win team. Roughly like Charlotte, one of the league's worst offenses and a below average defense (20th). They won 27.

By bball reference, he's really the only thing keep this season's Bulls afloat by net rating.
White: -17 net rating
Lavine: -4
Derozan: 0
Williams: -23 / Craig: +4
Vucevic: -4
Caruso: +30

Throw in that to start the season he
- is the Bulls higher PER player
- Bulls highest BPM player
- Has a True Shooting of 78%
- Shooting 50% from 3

I don't think anyone even needs stats, it's clear the Bulls starting lineup without him perform like garbage getting into 20 point deficits a few minutes into the 1st quarter. After being one of the best teams in the league post-ASG last season with Caruso (and Beverley) starting. The mid 3 need defenders badly, Coby & Patrick aren't that. All they do is take shots away from the 3 guys and shoot those shots at a far worse percentage.

I still think Lavine will get more in trade just due to the fact that their entire career will be evaluated not just this season, but AC will be our 2nd best asset. And because we always sell low and don't sell high, I doubt AKME will trade him even in the rebuild.
His contract is also so low it's hard to get much back for him, it would have to be a player like Royce O'Neal. Since a good return on AC will be hard to accomplish, AKME probably keeps him as he loses value as he gets closer to FA and ages. If AKME sells high on Caruso I'll be impressed.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,481

Post#15 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:31 pm

At least 1 mid FRP IMO. 2 potential late FRPs at worst.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,060

Post#16 » by Chi town » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:50 pm

FriedRise wrote:Caruso is an elite role player who can impact the game on both ends of the floor, but not in a star-like manner. He's not gonna drop 20 on you on a nightly basis, but he's gonna force your team to play a different way and kill you on the other end if you leave him open. He's obviously worked on his 3 this summer, as he's one of the two players on this team who will not hesitate to shoot when open (the other one is Carter). On top of all that, he's on a very team friendly deal.

Trade-wise, he's gonna be most valuable to a contender, but at the same time, contenders tend to be asset-poor. The few assets they do have, they're likely gonna keep to try to bid for a star so it's a tricky situation IMO. If you're making a deal, I think the move is to package him with one of the Mid 3 to amplify the return. He can easily be the sweetener - or turn a negative value into a positive - if there's a piece you really like.

You send him to an asset rich up and coming contender or playoff team.

OKC can’t resign all these guys. Wonder if you could get Giddey for him. Giddey hasn’t been on the floor in crunch time due to fit. Caruso is cheap and would make OKC a threat to win the west this season.

Send him to HOU for Eason and Whitmore?
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,383

Post#17 » by pipfan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:00 pm

I like this deal, next month
Vuc/Caruso for Bertains/Dieng/Miami '25 1st

OKC gets an awesome bench stopper in Caruso, who would help their young kids a ton. They also get some solid size up front to help Chet.

We trade DDR to Philly (salary/1st), then Lavine to many possible places and start over. Keep PWill-not worth anything, and keep Ayo, White, Terry (WHAT a bad pick) and Phillips and suck out the year
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#18 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Andi Obst wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Obviously what he does for us makes him our best player and best asset but it is not like that if he goes elsewhere and people have to realize that, he gets traded to a contender he is not a "Top 3" piece like he is in Chicago, he is a role player. He is worth a 1st rounder tops and that is really it. Obviously if we were trading him to the same role he is here then yes you could argue 2 1st round picks or a youth and 1st but its not that.

Why? It's not like AC has a big offensive role and takes a lot of shots. He doesn't even play that much (24 MPG).

He should absolutely have the same role on pretty much any team.

I just dont see it on certain contenders...send him to the warriors or denver is he worth 2 1st round picks, probably not to them as he comes in as the 4th-6th best player so they'd like only send 1 1st rounder. Where as you send him to LAL he is likely their 3rd-4th best player at that point and worth the 2 1st picks. You also have to factor in contracts as most teams will have to match and most teams dont have expiring in that 9-11M range, so they'd have to give up a youthful player likely (Warriors - Kuminga) so again they wouldn't package multiple 1sts at that point likely a late 1st rounder with Kuminga.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,231

Post#19 » by Red8911 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Stratmaster wrote:If the Bulls traded Zach and Caruso tomorrow, they might set the NBA record for consecutive losses this season.

You really needed to bring up Zach again in a Caruso thread lol.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stratmaster » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:20 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:If the Bulls traded Zach and Caruso tomorrow, they might set the NBA record for consecutive losses this season.

You really needed to bring up Zach again in a Caruso thread lol.

Zach has been brought up in numerous posts in this thread by others. Trades involving Zach and Caruso together have been mentioned. Did you see my post right above that one?

Looks to me like you have a hard-on for me. Is there something we need to discuss? Feel free to PM me.

Return to Chicago Bulls