Image ImageImage Image

Coby White has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Re: Coby White has leveled up 

Post#41 » by prolific passer » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 am

rosenthall wrote:
RSP83 wrote:They have the potential to exceed Gordon, Deng, Hinrich. But still way too early to call it.

They might end up being better, but I'd say they have a long way to go. Those three guys got a team to the playoffs while they were all on their rookie contracts and went into the second round by defeating the defending champs, and this team looks a long ways away from being able to do that.

RSP83 wrote:Only Coby who I am confidence to say I'd rather have him than Ben Gordon right now. Gordon was an explosive scorer, super clutch, drew comparison to Andrew Toney. But we shouldn't forgot that he has so many holes in other parts of his game. Hence why he's best used as a sixth man. Coby is a lot more balanced, he's bigger, and probably as talented as a volume scorer.

I'd rather have the Coby of the last 5 games over Gordon, but Coby wasn't as consistently good on his rookie contract as Ben was. Ben won 6MOY his rookie year. That said, I think they're pretty different players. Like you said, Coby's turned into a little bit of a BG / Kirk hybrid. Gordon also flamed out after leaving the Bulls, and Coby seems to have a good mindset. I expect Coby to end up having the better career than Ben, but he hasn't peaked as high as BG did for a whole season. This season is young though.

RSP83 wrote:Pat is sold as Deng with higher ceiling. But he still needs to show he's able to play Deng's floor consistently. If we switch Pat and Luol today, we'd be closer to a top 5 team in the East. The only thing Pat have over Luol today is 3-point shooting.

I'd say Luol's floor has proven to be a lot higher than Pat's, and the big difference is that Luol had an elite motor the day he came into the league, while Pat's is subpar. It's extremely unusual for a low-motor guy to turn into a high motor one, much less eclipse a guy who was one of the best in the league at it.

When it comes to role players, I'd say having a good motor is a really strong advantage, about as big as being more athletic, or being a deadeye shooter, so that makes a pretty big gap between them IMO.

RSP83 wrote:Kirk pre-extension (and marriage) was borderline All-Star point guard. Of all the comparison this is the one I'm least confident. I still don't see the ability to control tempo from Ayo to be a full-time ball handler. Ayo's game is about speed, getting into the lane, always pressuring by attacking defense off the dribble. Very different from Kirk. I look at Ayo as a guy who can be a better version of Ronnie Brewer, a high level role player on this team.

I've always thought early career Kirk was underrated. All-NBA calibre defense at both backcourt positions, and able to run an offense competently, if not spectacularly. He was the original Jrue Holiday.

Defensively they have some similarities, although I think Ayo has the benefit of more physical ability. Kirk got by with a lot of grit, and it caused him to break down later in his career. On offense, Ayo is like a sprinter who plays basketball -- he seems much better in open spaces than closed spaces, which I think limits his upside a bit.

Overall, I'm glad our three young guys are playing well, but I think the trio of Lu/BG/Kirk is underrated for how good they were.

They were an exciting trio in their time. Add Noc and Duhon and da bulls had a nice young core. How Pax lost his way with his drafting strategy is baffling.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,957

Post#42 » by Axl Rose » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:52 am

prolific passer wrote:They were an exciting trio in their time. Add Noc and Duhon and da bulls had a nice young core. How Pax lost his way with his drafting strategy is baffling.

The NBA changed.

Pax had an archetype - hard nosed defensive guys who went to top schools and showed out in the tourney. Once these guys became less valued in the NBA as it turned to pace & space, they struggled to adapt.

*Gordon may seem like the outlier here in terms of defense, but i think Pax may have excepted more from Gordon defensively. He still went to UCONN and won the NCAA championship though.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#43 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:19 am

Coby has had to deal with the pressure of staying "within his bounds" (not taking too many shots and deferring) and he's still managed to make sound decisions in his game, even when the shot is not falling. It's impressive. I don't think he'll sustain outrageous percentages, but I think like Billy said, "hes' a winning basketball player." He's adapted to every role he's been asked to do, and now that he's been out there, he's playing his winning basketball.

I wish I could feel that way about Zach. Zach hasn't shown much adaptation, I just get the sense that he's trying to force the issue even more when it's not there.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Post#44 » by prolific passer » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:20 am

Axl Rose wrote:
prolific passer wrote:They were an exciting trio in their time. Add Noc and Duhon and da bulls had a nice young core. How Pax lost his way with his drafting strategy is baffling.

The NBA changed.

Pax had an archetype - hard nosed defensive guys who went to top schools and showed out in the tourney. Once these guys became less valued in the NBA as it turned to pace & space, they struggled to adapt.

*Gordon may seem like the outlier here in terms of defense, but i think Pax may have excepted more from Gordon defensively. He still went to UCONN and won the NCAA championship though.

Oh. I thought it was because he fumbled the Aldridge for Tyrus deal.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#45 » by Ccwatercraft » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:40 am

I'm over the gordon/deng/kirk comparisons.

Coby, obviously is stepping up and proving something.

Pat, more frequent flashes but hasn't flipped the switch

Ayo is still a 2nd rounder but is definitely earning his 2nd contract so far, a contract that many thought was an overpay.

Terry, no.

Phillips, who knows

Sorry if it's unpopular but vuc is a better ballplayer than wcj. Still a bad trade in context because of the picks, but not brutal like gobert.

Either way, we need to resolve the, zach issue and personally it won't shock or upset me if its a retool.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#46 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:19 am

PJSteven22 wrote:I think that the play of Coby White and Pat Will should entice them to rebuild more.

Well I think we are rebuilding no matter what. It would nice to start that rebuild with 3 very solid young players though(Coby, Ayo and Pat).
bullskokie
Senior
And1: 242

Post#47 » by bullskokie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Some of you guys are just ridiculous! Haha.. My comparison of Coby, Pat & Ayo = Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was not based on statistics but historically similar to that Gordon, Deng & Hinrich Bulls team when they finally caught the NBA's attention. Think of it as a launchpad. The start of Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was the point zero for what then came the D.Rose & Joakim Bulls.. remember those Celtics playoff matchups? This right here right now with Coby, Pat & Ayo feels like a similar unit that could potentially be that team again! Of course you stat maniacs will always argue about the stats.. of course! But these teams may be similar but are all differently constructed, different coaching styles, different trends.. will never be equal. Think for it just a second, how do you think Coby, Pat & Ayo would have developed as rookies if they were the main guys right away with more minutes and usage and not playing behind ball hogs like Zach & DDR?? Gordon, Deng & Hinrich were given that opportunity straight from game 1!!
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Post#48 » by RSP83 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:45 pm

bullskokie wrote:Some of you guys are just ridiculous! Haha.. My comparison of Coby, Pat & Ayo = Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was not based on statistics but historically similar to that Gordon, Deng & Hinrich Bulls team when they finally caught the NBA's attention. Think of it as a launchpad. The start of Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was the point zero for what then came the D.Rose & Joakim Bulls.. remember those Celtics playoff matchups? This right here right now with Coby, Pat & Ayo feels like a similar unit that could potentially be that team again! Of course you stat maniacs will always argue about the stats.. of course! But these teams may be similar but are all differently constructed, different coaching styles, different trends.. will never be equal. Think for it just a second, how do you think Coby, Pat & Ayo would have developed as rookies if they were the main guys right away with more minutes and usage and not playing behind ball hogs like Zach & DDR?? Gordon, Deng & Hinrich were given that opportunity straight from game 1!!

Not sure, better but not by much. Gordon and Hinrich was older early entrants compares to Coby and Pat who was more raw. Gordon and Hinrich both competed for NCAA titles, Gordon actually won an NCAA title. Deng was a one-and-done, but he was a top 3 college recruit with Duke. Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng was more high end talent. Coby and Pat was question marks. Ayo is closer to Duhon.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,424

Post#49 » by jump » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:56 pm

RSP83 wrote:
bullskokie wrote:Some of you guys are just ridiculous! Haha.. My comparison of Coby, Pat & Ayo = Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was not based on statistics but historically similar to that Gordon, Deng & Hinrich Bulls team when they finally caught the NBA's attention. Think of it as a launchpad. The start of Gordon, Deng & Hinrich was the point zero for what then came the D.Rose & Joakim Bulls.. remember those Celtics playoff matchups? This right here right now with Coby, Pat & Ayo feels like a similar unit that could potentially be that team again! Of course you stat maniacs will always argue about the stats.. of course! But these teams may be similar but are all differently constructed, different coaching styles, different trends.. will never be equal. Think for it just a second, how do you think Coby, Pat & Ayo would have developed as rookies if they were the main guys right away with more minutes and usage and not playing behind ball hogs like Zach & DDR?? Gordon, Deng & Hinrich were given that opportunity straight from game 1!!

Not sure, better but not by much. Gordon and Hinrich was older early entrants compares to Coby and Pat who was more raw. Gordon and Hinrich both competed for NCAA titles, Gordon actually won an NCAA title. Deng was a one-and-done, but he was a top 3 college recruit with Duke. Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng was more high end talent. Coby and Pat was question marks. Ayo is closer to Duhon.

I think you're missing his point. He's not comparing player to player, he's comparing the circumstances -- how that early team formed around a young nucleus and launched from there, and how it feels like similar circumstances now with the young nucleus of Coby, Ayo and Pat. Let's hope he's right. It can be really exciting to watch if it comes to pass.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#50 » by PJSteven22 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:27 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:I think that the play of Coby White and Pat Will should entice them to rebuild more.

Well I think we are rebuilding no matter what. It would nice to start that rebuild with 3 very solid young players though(Coby, Ayo and Pat).

If they keep winning. They aren’t going to rebuild.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#51 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:38 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

I don’t think we are gonna keep winning.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#52 » by MikeDC » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:49 pm

People should stop thinking in terms of "tearing down" and "rebuilding" and start thinking of "continuously building".

It's kind of pointless to say "how good can Coby be"? The question to me is is has Coby shown enough in his opportunities that we're fine with him playing big minutes? Yeah. He has to me.

Same with Ayo. Is Ayo as good as Caruso? No. But I look at Ayo as being good enough, in the context of what this team is, to make Caruso expendable. Use Caruso to trade for other talent.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#53 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:56 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

We will find out over the next 6 games.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#54 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:13 pm

jump wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

I think you're missing his point. He's not comparing player to player, he's comparing the circumstances -- how that early team formed around a young nucleus and launched from there, and how it feels like similar circumstances now with the young nucleus of Coby, Ayo and Pat. Let's hope he's right. It can be really exciting to watch if it comes to pass.

Perhaps he should have said that in his original comment? And we're the ridiculous ones for taking his absurd comment at face value?

His explanation is almost as preposterous and honestly just comes off as an attempt to save face.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#55 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:17 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

The most likely outcome is that we're not going to keep winning or rebuild, but I'd love to be proven wrong either way.
bullskokie
Senior

Post#56 » by bullskokie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:48 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
jump wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

Perhaps he should have said that in his original comment? And we're the ridiculous ones for taking his absurd comment at face value?

His explanation is almost as preposterous and honestly just comes off as an attempt to save face.

LOL here he is.. my man! Haha
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,446

Post#57 » by Muzbar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Wait, wait, wait... that's not what you said, you said they were better, not equal. So are we being ridiculous?

If I had to choose between either trio to start a rebuild then I'm picking Kirk, Ben and Loul everytime.

Would Coby, Pat and Ayo be further along in development if they weren't playing alongside Zach and DDR? Probably. Would they be better than Kirk, Ben and Loul, probably not.

Pat was given and opportunity from game 1, Pat has been gifted the starting spot from the moment he was drafted and he's only just now seemingly doing anything with it. Ayo was given the starting job due to lack of options when Lonzo went down and he squandered it (I love Ayo btw). Coby is the only one that has seemingly improved himself, he's worked hard and earned himself a starting spot but even he originally was given the starting spot from the beginning.

Ayo is the only one who had to deal with both DDR and LaVine being 'in their way' and he was a 2nd rounder, he's closer to Duhon than Kirk, but that's not a bad thing.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
bullskokie
Senior

Post#58 » by bullskokie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Muzbar wrote:

Wait, wait, wait... that's not what you said, you said they were better, not equal. So are we being ridiculous?

If I had to choose between either trio to start a rebuild then I'm picking Kirk, Ben and Loul everytime.

Would Coby, Pat and Ayo be further along in development if they weren't playing alongside Zach and DDR? Probably. Would they be better than Kirk, Ben and Loul, probably not.

Pat was given and opportunity from game 1, Pat has been gifted the starting spot from the moment he was drafted and he's only just now seemingly doing anything with it. Ayo was given the starting job due to lack of options when Lonzo went down and he squandered it (I love Ayo btw). Coby is the only one that has seemingly improved himself, he's worked hard and earned himself a starting spot but even he originally was given the starting spot from the beginning.

Ayo is the only one who had to deal with both DDR and LaVine being 'in their way' and he was a 2nd rounder, he's closer to Duhon than Kirk, but that's not a bad thing.

Go read it again.. I said “are like”… BUT better! Obviously, thats my opinion.. why does it matter to you guys really.. thats the funny part right there!
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,446

Post#59 » by Muzbar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm

bullskokie wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

Go read it again.. I said “are like”… BUT better! Obviously, thats my opinion.. why does it matter to you guys really.. thats the funny part right there!

"BUT better!" means you think they are better. So I did read it correctly, then you wrote "=" which means they are equal to. So which is it?

I mean, if you don't want people disagreeing with your opinion (no matter how much you try to change it), you probably shouldn't share it on a public message board about basketball discussions.

Anything you say on a public forum is always going to be open to scrutiny.

What does it matter to you if we disagree with your statement?
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#60 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:10 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:If they keep winning. They aren’t going to rebuild.

The most likely outcome is that we're not going to keep winning or rebuild, but I'd love to be proven wrong either way.

Well if we keep losing it it’s a rebuild intentionally or not. I don’t care how it happens I just want a lottery pick in mid to high lottery pick.

Return to Chicago Bulls