Image ImageImage Image

Coby White has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

bullskokie
Senior
And1: 242

Re: Coby White has leveled up 

Post#61 » by bullskokie » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm

Muzbar wrote:
bullskokie wrote:
Muzbar wrote:Wait, wait, wait... that's not what you said, you said they were better, not equal. So are we being ridiculous?

If I had to choose between either trio to start a rebuild then I'm picking Kirk, Ben and Loul everytime.

Would Coby, Pat and Ayo be further along in development if they weren't playing alongside Zach and DDR? Probably. Would they be better than Kirk, Ben and Loul, probably not.

Pat was given and opportunity from game 1, Pat has been gifted the starting spot from the moment he was drafted and he's only just now seemingly doing anything with it. Ayo was given the starting job due to lack of options when Lonzo went down and he squandered it (I love Ayo btw). Coby is the only one that has seemingly improved himself, he's worked hard and earned himself a starting spot but even he originally was given the starting spot from the beginning.

Ayo is the only one who had to deal with both DDR and LaVine being 'in their way' and he was a 2nd rounder, he's closer to Duhon than Kirk, but that's not a bad thing.

Go read it again.. I said “are like”… BUT better! Obviously, thats my opinion.. why does it matter to you guys really.. thats the funny part right there!

"BUT better!" means you think they are better. So I did read it correctly, then you wrote "=" which means they are equal to. So which is it?

I mean, if you don't want people disagreeing with your opinion (no matter how much you try to change it), you probably shouldn't share it on a public message board about basketball discussions.

Anything you say on a public forum is always going to be open to scrutiny.

What does it matter to you if we disagree with your statement?

Are you high on something? Do you really want me to spend 30 minutes to type in a response? LOL
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#62 » by Muzbar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:29 pm

bullskokie wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
bullskokie wrote:
Go read it again.. I said “are like”… BUT better! Obviously, thats my opinion.. why does it matter to you guys really.. thats the funny part right there!

"BUT better!" means you think they are better. So I did read it correctly, then you wrote "=" which means they are equal to. So which is it?

I mean, if you don't want people disagreeing with your opinion (no matter how much you try to change it), you probably shouldn't share it on a public message board about basketball discussions.

Anything you say on a public forum is always going to be open to scrutiny.

What does it matter to you if we disagree with your statement?

Are you high on something? Do you really want me to spend 30 minutes to type in a response? LOL

You can take as long as you want to reply, heck, you don't even have to reply at all. That's up to you.

You made a statement that Ayo, Coby and Pat are "like but way better" than Kirk, Ben and Loul, many other posters disagreed. It's OK to have differing opinions, that doesn't make anyone 'high'.

If you want I guess we can just agree to disagree.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#63 » by Infinity2152 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:25 pm

Personally, think Coby will be a better starter than Ben Gordon ever was, people forget how bad Gordon was at everything but shooting. Bad ballhandler, horrible defender, undersized at SG, poor passer. As far as Deng vs Pat Will, Deng didn't spend his first four years playing PF, or next to three 20 pt starters. Deng was not getting 18 a game next to Zach, Demar, and Vuc. Pat may never be as good at SF as Deng, but he still could be. Ayo vs Hinrich is tough, Hinrich's the better shooter and passer, both good defenders, Ayo's more explosively athletic and faster on breaks, Hinrich gets the edge but Ayo can get close.

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences. Optimistic, I know, but what does optimism hurt? Not inconceivable these young guys get better, pretty sure the guys they're getting compared to were all older with more experience when they were drafted.

Just pictured BG starting at point guard next to Lavine, Derozan, Deng and Vuc. Could have killed Deng's and Gordon's careers before they got started. Deng probably still looks good, but not All Star numbers and with Gordon starting at point next to Lavine and Debo and Vuc as the last line it's over, lmao!
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#64 » by Stratmaster » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:02 am

Infinity2152 wrote:Personally, think Coby will be a better starter than Ben Gordon ever was, people forget how bad Gordon was at everything but shooting. Bad ballhandler, horrible defender, undersized at SG, poor passer. As far as Deng vs Pat Will, Deng didn't spend his first four years playing PF, or next to three 20 pt starters. Deng was not getting 18 a game next to Zach, Demar, and Vuc. Pat may never be as good at SF as Deng, but he still could be. Ayo vs Hinrich is tough, Hinrich's the better shooter and passer, both good defenders, Ayo's more explosively athletic and faster on breaks, Hinrich gets the edge but Ayo can get close.

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences.
Luol Deng was 10 times better than Williams has been, and Williams was gifted a starting position.

If a few decent games is enough for people to compare the two, I think it's recency bias.

Kirk Hinrich shot 40% from 3 his first stint with the Bulls and 39% his 2nd. He had 4 seasons over 40٪ and 3 others over 39%. Coby has had 1 season over 38%. Hinrich was a way better defender. Hinrich averaged over 6 assists his first 5 years with the Bulls when he was playing the role and minutes that Coby is playing. Coby is averaging 4.3 so far this season, and we are raving about him now being a distributor. Ayo? Not even in the same league or discussion.

If a few decent games is enough for people to compare the two, I think it's recency bias.

I think Ben Gordon shot 42% from 3 as a Bull. He was a better shooter than Hinrich and way better than Coby has been. Even this season for 20-some games Coby is just barely at that level. This is one that I would agree with though. I would rather have Coby than prime Gordon. Because Gordon sucked at everything but shooting and was a ball stopper.

My rankings:
Deng
Hinrich
White
Gordon
Ayo
Williams

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Muzbar
Starter

Post#65 » by Muzbar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:04 am

Infinity2152 wrote:Personally, think Coby will be a better starter than Ben Gordon ever was, people forget how bad Gordon was at everything but shooting. Bad ballhandler, horrible defender, undersized at SG, poor passer. As far as Deng vs Pat Will, Deng didn't spend his first four years playing PF, or next to three 20 pt starters. Deng was not getting 18 a game next to Zach, Demar, and Vuc. Pat may never be as good at SF as Deng, but he still could be. Ayo vs Hinrich is tough, Hinrich's the better shooter and passer, both good defenders, Ayo's more explosively athletic and faster on breaks, Hinrich gets the edge but Ayo can get close.

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences. Optimistic, I know, but what does optimism hurt? Not inconceivable these young guys get better, pretty sure the guys they're getting compared to were all older with more experience when they were drafted.

I agree that Coby will be the better starter, he's grown his overall game so much, but he's really the only one you could say that about IMO. I remember all of Ben's warts, I was actually not that big a fan of his but the man came up clutch most times shooting the ball.

The NBA is different now than it was back then, PF was played by PFs, big men that rebounded and scored inside, there weren't 'stretch 4s' back then (or at least not many). Today, most teams are usually playing 2 SFs at the 3 and the 4, perimeter players who can usually handle the ball a bit so they can play faster. Loul would be excellent as a PF in today's NBA.

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with that same optimistic view.
Infinity2152
Senior

Post#66 » by Infinity2152 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:24 am

Stratmaster wrote:

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences.
Luol Deng was 10 times better than Williams has been, and Williams was gifted a starting position.

Kirk Hinrich shot 40% from 3 his first stint with the Bulls and 39% his 2nd. He had 4 seasons over 40٪ and 3 others over 39%. Coby has had 1 season over 38%. Hinrich was a way better defender. Hinrich averaged over 6 assists his first 5 years with the Bulls when he was playing the role and minutes that Coby is playing. Coby is averaging 4.3 so far this season, and we are raving about him now being a distributor. Ayo? Not even in the same league or discussion.

I think Ben Gordon shot 42% from 3 as a Bull. He was a better shooter than Hinrich and way better than Coby has been. Even this season for 20-some games Coby is just barely at that level. This is one that I would agree with though. I would rather have Coby than prime Gordon. Because Gordon sucked at everything but shooting and was a ball stopper.

My rankings:
Deng
Hinrich
White
Gordon
Ayo
Williams

Not comparing Hinrich to Coby, comparing him to Gordon, lol. Gordon shot 42% from 3, but also 40% from the field, horrible finisher. Very one dimensional player, and way bigger defensive liability and far more turnover prone than Coby. Maybe the most one dimensional, one elite skill player in league history.

Said Hinrich has the edge over Ayo, considering that's a lottery pick vs a second round pick, Ayo's still doing pretty good, may never be as good as Hinrich, but let's not act like Hinrich was an AllStar guard. After his fourth season Hinrich never averaged over 12 a game for his career, never more than 5 assists after his 6th, most seasons were 4 or less. He averaged like 10pt, 5 assts, 1.2 steals his second contract. And went downhill from there. Talking about recency bias, that's nostalgia, barely decent starter numbers. Ayo can beat that as a starter, if he makes it there.

Yes, Williams was unfairly pushed into a starting spot, yes he is playing out of position, and yes Deng would have averaged 12 pts playing with Zach, Demar and Vuc, there's only one basketball and those guys are taking shots. Williams is looking better and he's still 4 years from his prime. You can draft a 19 year old and expect him to be great against 25-30-35 year old vets, but it's unrealistic. Deng CERTAINLY showed better earlier, but his circumstances were vastly different playing with Hinrich, MVP Rose and Tyrus/Joakim Noah, or Chandler/Curry, instead of mashed between Debo and Vucevic. Williams has been on a rudderless, dysfunctional team his entire young NBA career, except the brief time Lonzo was healthy. Deng was superior player at this stage, but who knows where Pat will Goes? Two years ago, look at what critics were saying about Coby White. Or even a year ago. Would be willing to bet if they keep sitting Zach, or trade him, Pat's numbers will improve all year, it won't just be for a few games.
Muzbar
Starter

Post#67 » by Muzbar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:33 am

Infinity2152 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

My rankings:
Deng
Hinrich
White
Gordon
Ayo
Williams

Not comparing Hinrich to Coby, comparing him to Gordon, lol. Gordon shot 42% from 3, but also 40% from the field, horrible finisher. Very one dimensional player, and way bigger defensive liability and far more turnover prone than Coby. Maybe the most one dimensional, one elite skill player in league history.

Said Hinrich has the edge over Ayo, considering that's a lottery pick vs a second round pick, Ayo's still doing pretty good, may never be as good as Hinrich, but let's not act like Hinrich was an AllStar guard. After his fourth season Hinrich never averaged over 12 a game for his career, never more than 5 assists after his 6th, most seasons were 4 or less. He averaged like 10pt, 5 assts, 1.2 steals his second contract. And went downhill from there. Talking about recency bias, that's nostalgia, barely decent starter numbers. Ayo can beat that as a starter, if he makes it there.

Yes, Williams was unfairly pushed into a starting spot, yes he is playing out of position, and yes Deng would have averaged 12 pts playing with Zach, Demar and Vuc, there's only one basketball and those guys are taking shots. Williams is looking better and he's still 4 years from his prime. You can draft a 19 year old and expect him to be great against 25-30-35 year old vets, but it's unrealistic. Deng CERTAINLY showed better earlier, but his circumstances were vastly different playing with Hinrich, MVP Rose and Joakim Noah. Williams has been on a rudderless, dysfunctional team his entire young NBA career, except the brief time Lonzo was healthy. Deng was superior player at this stage, but who knows where Pat will Goes? Two years ago, look at what critics were saying about Coby White. Or even a year ago. Would be willing to bet if they keep sitting Zach, or trade him, Pat's numbers will improve all year, it won't just be for a few games.

Gordon shot 43% from the field for his Career (not 40%) and Coby is shooting 42% for his career so far. Yeah that can obviously change (and I think it will) but ATM he's just as 'bad' as Ben Gordon scoring wise. Coby definitely has Ben in basically every other facet of the game for sure.

Deng I think is superior to Pat because he had drive and desire, he always gave 110% everytime he was on the floor, I think Pat may be more naturally talented than Deng but I don't think he has the motor to maximise it. I really hope he prove me wrong though, he has been playing well lately. Deng was 19 when he was drafted too btw.

Ayo in 92 games as a starter has averaged 10.3ppg and 4.1asts, so he's kinda of close to second contract Hinrich who was either playing out of position or off the bench during most of that time. I love Ayo (I have a thing for PGs) but I'm not sure he's on Kirk's level yet and I'm not overly sure he'll get there.
Infinity2152
Senior

Post#68 » by Infinity2152 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:25 am

Muzbar wrote:
Infinity2152 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Luol Deng was 10 times better than Williams has been, and Williams was gifted a starting position.

My rankings:
Deng
Hinrich
White
Gordon
Ayo
Williams

Yes, Williams was unfairly pushed into a starting spot, yes he is playing out of position, and yes Deng would have averaged 12 pts playing with Zach, Demar and Vuc, there's only one basketball and those guys are taking shots. Williams is looking better and he's still 4 years from his prime. You can draft a 19 year old and expect him to be great against 25-30-35 year old vets, but it's unrealistic. Deng CERTAINLY showed better earlier, but his circumstances were vastly different playing with Hinrich, MVP Rose and Joakim Noah. Williams has been on a rudderless, dysfunctional team his entire young NBA career, except the brief time Lonzo was healthy. Deng was superior player at this stage, but who knows where Pat will Goes? Two years ago, look at what critics were saying about Coby White. Or even a year ago. Would be willing to bet if they keep sitting Zach, or trade him, Pat's numbers will improve all year, it won't just be for a few games.

Gordon shot 43% from the field for his Career (not 40%) and Coby is shooting 42% for his career so far. Yeah that can obviously change (and I think it will) but ATM he's just as 'bad' as Ben Gordon scoring wise. Coby definitely has Ben in basically every other facet of the game for sure.

Deng I think is superior to Pat because he had drive and desire, he always gave 110% everytime he was on the floor, I think Pat may be more naturally talented than Deng but I don't think he has the motor to maximise it. I really hope he prove me wrong though, he has been playing well lately. Deng was 19 when he was drafted too btw.

Ayo in 92 games as a starter has averaged 10.3ppg and 4.1asts, so he's kinda of close to second contract Hinrich who was either playing out of position or off the bench during most of that time. I love Ayo (I have a thing for PGs) but I'm not sure he's on Kirk's level yet and I'm not overly sure he'll get there.

No argument it's hope Pat can get as good as Deng, know he was 19 too, but he had Chandler/Curry, or Tyrus Thomas/Noah behind him most of his early career. Being between Derozan and Vucevic, or even worse post defenders like DJJ or Terry Taylor has to be pretty tough in today's NBA, when every position is shooting threes and switching. Players develop at different rates, a 19 year old players mindset, drive motivation, everything will be far different at 25. We could literally have just drafted him this summer, a player graduating from college with a pretty solid skill set. Deng was an early homerun, he was also super mature when he was drafted, loved that about him.

As far as Kirk, love Kirk, but after his first 4 years, he was a 10 pt, 5 assist guy as a starter and continually got worse. He only scored double digits half his career. He was an important part of a special squad, but after those first four year, nothing special. Guess if you just judge his first half of his career, but he second half was average at best. He peaked in year 4.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#69 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:33 am

Stratmaster wrote:

My rankings:
Deng
Hinrich
White
Gordon
Ayo
Williams

I agree, but to be precise Kirk shot .379 from 3 during his first stint and .364 during his second. He had two seasons over 40% and one at 39.9%
Infinity2152
Senior

Post#70 » by Infinity2152 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:49 am

No doubt Kirk was/is the better shooter. Absolutely no doubt. Lot of us Bulls fans remember Kirk his first 4 years and loved his heart the whole time he was here. Stats wise, he wasn't that impactful after those first 4. He was putting up 8 and 9 points, with 4 or 5 assists in 29 minutes by year 8. But we love Captain Kirk for more than just his ability and contributions. He was 23 his first year, so he had a significant head start.

I graduated from Illinois, so I'm really pulling for Ayo, lol!

Coby is balling out right now! Lavine being out has unlocked him, but Derozan still going one on one every other play.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#71 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:46 am

He’s the best player on our team.

That is both damning and exciting.

He’s on a heater but this heater is raising his floor. Once he cools off I don’t think he will be scoring less than 20 per game.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#72 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:54 am

Chi town wrote:He’s the best player on our team.

That is both damning and exciting.

He’s on a heater but this heater is raising his floor. Once he cools off I don’t think he will be scoring less than 20 per game.

I think he can average 20/5/5 within the flow of the offense.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#73 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:12 am

This heater got Coby up 42.8% on 7.2 3s per game.
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#74 » by boozapalooza » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:14 am

The best part if it all is that we got him on a 3 year 36 mil deal. Thats a bargain. Once we shed Zach and Demar’s contracts we should have the cap space to maybe sign a star FA in the next offseason or two to pair with Coby.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Post#75 » by RSP83 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:37 am

boozapalooza wrote:The best part if it all is that we got him on a 3 year 36 mil deal. Thats a bargain. Once we shed Zach and Demar’s contracts we should have the cap space to maybe sign a star FA in the next offseason or two to pair with Coby.

We need another star like Coby. An unselfish scorer with high IQ and committed to play hard on both ends.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#76 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:48 am

2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,397

Post#77 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:56 am

Probably the best game of Coby's career against the Bucks. I'm not on the Coby is a future star train but these are the games you look for when evaluating if someone has all-star potential. I look at what's sustainable, and Coby's shooting isn't sustainable. Over the last 10 games, he's shooting 50% from 3 on high volume and unfortunately, the 3s Coby makes aren't showing star potential because they're mainly catch & shoot 3s. Star guards usually have the off the dribble 3 in their arsenal and Coby is still lacking that. For comparison this season, 83% of Coby's above the break 3s are assisted on, for Jamal Murray, only 50% of his 3s are assisted on.

What is hopefully sustainable is Coby pressuring the rim and either scoring or playmaking. Coby has always had a good first step but he's always struggled with either making the correct read or finishing at the rim. It looks like he's finally starting to do both consistently.

Dengness9
Senior
And1: 214

Post#78 » by Dengness9 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 am

First off, love the post. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Isn’t 40-43% from 3 sustainable though? I know this 50% madness can’t last…but…

This is a guy who set 3 point records in HS, College, and in the pros. He even has most 3’s in a quarter for the franchise at 7. He can get hotter than most…and when he’s confident; he can stay hot for extended amounts of time.

I’m so excited to see how the rest of the season goes. Helooks like he’s in total control of the game.
I hate the Chicago Bulls. I miss Derrick, Jo, Taj, Jimmy, Lu, BG, Kirk, Noc….I’ll stop there.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#79 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:06 am

Just pictured BG starting at point guard next to Lavine, Derozan, Deng and Vuc. Could have killed Deng's and Gordon's careers before they got started. Deng probably still looks good, but not All Star numbers and with Gordon starting at point next to Lavine and Debo and Vuc as the last line it's over, lmao!

I don’t Ayo will ever get close to Hinrich. Hinrich was a very high level starting point guard. Ayo might be able to match his defense, but that’s about it.

Deng never learned how to dribble or shoot 3s and that really limited him offensively. He was an all-star level role player though. PWill can dribble and shoot 3s so if he can be modern Deng for us that would be amazing. Long way to go for him on that…

Coby can easily be better than Ben Gordon. He is already is better than Gordon at everything but shooting and he looks like he can surpass him in that area.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#80 » by t-time » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:43 am

Coby looks amazing and he deserves it for the work he has put in. Even last year his stats were down but to me he was a much better and complete player than he was in the first 2-3 seasons of his career.

About Ben Gordon - the NBA might as well have been a different sport back then compared to what it is now. We were a defensive team and Ben had a huge job carrying the offense coming off the bench, especially in 4th quarters.

Return to Chicago Bulls