Image ImageImage Image

Coby White has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Re: Coby White has leveled up 

Post#81 » by sco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:18 pm

After FebruLauri and 3-cola, I'm skeptical about partial seasons of good performance. If he can keep this up all season, I'll be thrilled.

I will say that I like guys with work ethic, and Coby definitely falls into that category.
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#82 » by FriedRise » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:44 pm

sco wrote:After FebruLauri and 3-cola, I'm skeptical about partial seasons of good performance. If he can keep this up all season, I'll be thrilled.

I will say that I like guys with work ethic, and Coby definitely falls into that category.

Those guys ended up being great players though. One's an all star starter in the West and the other won the EuroLeague MVP.

If those are the kind of ceilings that Coby will eventually reach, we need to stay patient with the kid.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#83 » by greenwing » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:57 pm

Chi town wrote:OP… Yes. He. Has.

https://youtu.be/wWxzxXByrH0?si=7KmbT9O_CUANP8VN

I actually think the fro is really helping him and I hope he keeps it. His game around the rim has majorly improved. And the fro makes him look much taller than he is which is confusing defenders. It’s a brilliant tactic. Watch in that clip whenever Brook Lopez has his hands up in the paint against Coby how his hands are almost always high up instead of following Coby’s on ball hand. It’s as if Brook is always anticipating him to jump higher or go straight up and then Coby simply side flicks the shot in the open space.
ShouldaPaidBG
Junior
And1: 183

Post#84 » by ShouldaPaidBG » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:05 pm

Best contract in the league, and emblematic of the simple fact that these days, scoring guards are a dime a dozen and shouldn't be given huge contracts because they are not rare. The rare ones are the ones that play defense. And even then, there's only so much a SG can do on defense.

People are talking about Haliburton right now, and everyone is saying they need a big defensive forward. Names like OG and Siakim are thrown around. But who else is there? Who are the best defensive forwards? How many are there? What are their offensive contributions?

A 2 way defensive forward is the rarest player in the league. A 6'5 guy that can run the pick and role and drain 3s off the dribble was just signed by the bulls for 11 mil a year. But the difference between Coby and Halliburton is Coby already has a big 2 way forward with good shooting touch on his team.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#85 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:42 pm

A remarkable turn of events. He's not just shooting better, his entire floor game is better. Next step will be to learn how to draw contact to get a better whistle. Putting on more good weight will be part of that. I'm just really impressed how good he looks as a primary handler and set / action initiator.

I'll eat some crow here.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM

Post#86 » by sco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:19 pm

madvillian wrote:A remarkable turn of events. He's not just shooting better, his entire floor game is better. Next step will be to learn how to draw contact to get a better whistle. Putting on more good weight will be part of that. I'm just really impressed how good he looks as a primary handler and set / action initiator.

I'll eat some crow here.

I will try to remember to come out against any player putting on muscle. I've seen too much anecdotal evidence that adding weight to these guys hurts their game and durability more than it helps. It puts more strain on back and joints, it seems to make them less quick, and it appears to change shooting motion which can impact accuracy. Just my nit on overall good commentary!

I looked back at my comments on Coby from last year where I noted that he added improved defense and an ability to score in the paint - where previously he was just good at catch and shoot. I noted that if he could add shooting 3's off the dribble and improved playmaking to his repetoire, we'd have a real keeper.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#87 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:28 pm

sco wrote:
madvillian wrote:A remarkable turn of events. He's not just shooting better, his entire floor game is better. Next step will be to learn how to draw contact to get a better whistle. Putting on more good weight will be part of that. I'm just really impressed how good he looks as a primary handler and set / action initiator.

I'll eat some crow here.

I will try to remember to come out against any player putting on muscle. I've seen too much anecdotal evidence that adding weight to these guys hurts their game and durability more than it helps. It puts more strain on back and joints, it seems to make them less quick, and it appears to change shooting motion which can impact accuracy. Just my nit on overall good commentary!

I looked back at my comments on Coby from last year where I noted that he added improved defense and an ability to score in the paint - where previously he was just good at catch and shoot. I noted that if he could add shooting 3's off the dribble and improved playmaking to his repetoire, we'd have a real keeper.

I think he'd benefit from an added 5lbs of muscle around his core. He's not a guy that's going to throw his body around Ja or Rose style so I don't see it increasing his injury risk too much. Coby seems pretty durable to me, he doesn't play recklessly (despite his charges taken...) and his body control is good enough to avoid out of control moments when he drives.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM

Post#88 » by sco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:31 pm

madvillian wrote:
sco wrote:

I'll eat some crow here.

I think he'd benefit from an added 5lbs of muscle around his core. He's not a guy that's going to throw his body around Ja or Rose style so I don't see it increasing his injury risk too much. Coby seems pretty durable to me, he doesn't play recklessly (despite his charges taken...) and his body control is good enough to avoid out of control moments when he drives.

I'll disagree in that part of his success this season seems to be regaining his speed that he seemed to lose from college in his ability to blow by guys in the halfcourt and get to the rim.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#89 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:37 pm

I can see that sco, he does look faster, but I think it's his handle that's improved as well. In general I think with modern training you can add muscle (to a degree) and not lose speed and quickness.

Regardless, this is a fun, exciting young player we have here.

Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#90 » by Muzbar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:37 pm

I'll eat some crow here.

Save some crow for me.

I never wanted to draft Coby and wanted him traded after his 2nd season, I was done with him, I thought he was a terrible defending chucker. But, had he ever changed my mind, I'm not just talking about his recent play, I'm talking about last season where he was giving a bunch more effort on defense he looked more poised on offence.

This year, after his rough start, he has been amazing.

I've felt the same way about Pat recently, Coby has made me reconsider my stance and to try and be more patient.

Coby has also made me reconsider re-upping my league pass, which I hate him for that... not really though
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
madvillian
RealGM

Post#91 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:44 pm

Muzbar wrote:

I'll eat some crow here.

Save some crow for me.

I never wanted to draft Coby and wanted him traded after his 2nd season, I was done with him, I thought he was a terrible defending chucker. But, had he ever changed my mind, I'm not just talking about his recent play, I'm talking about last season where he was giving a bunch more effort on defense he looked more poised on offence.

I've felt the same way about Pat recently, Coby has made me reconsider my stance and to try and be more patient.

Coby has also made me reconsider re-upping my league pass, which I hate him for that... not really though

Yea, T Rex armed guy listed at 6'5" that played closer to 6 foot and couldn't guard a lick or shoot well enough to offset it. And he's gonna develop? In Chicago? In this org?

Well, it happened. He's a better defender, better shooter, better playmaker, still a mid finisher but he is doing plenty. He's a solid starting guard. Maybe even a solid starting lead guard.

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#92 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:01 pm

sco wrote:After FebruLauri and 3-cola, I'm skeptical about partial seasons of good performance. If he can keep this up all season, I'll be thrilled.

Not sure why you want use Lauri as a cautionary tale anymore. Mirotic was a damn good player too.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#93 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:02 pm

I'll eat some crow here.

Coby does not any more weight.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#94 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:06 pm

madvillian wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

I'll eat some crow here.

Save some crow for me.

Yea, T Rex armed guy listed at 6'5" that played closer to 6 foot and couldn't guard a lick or shoot well enough to offset it. And he's gonna develop? In Chicago? In this org?

Well, it happened. He's a better defender, better shooter, better playmaker, still a mid finisher but he is doing plenty. He's a solid starting guard. Maybe even a solid starting lead guard.

He looks pretty good finishing to me. He makes a lot tough shots thought contact and know how to shoot over bigger players.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#95 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:15 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Muzbar wrote:Save some crow for me.

He looks pretty good finishing to me. He makes a lot tough shots thought contact and know how to shoot over bigger players.

It feels like he's been better than he has at the rim: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629632/shots-dash?Season=2023-24

I don't think it means to much, he was pretty solid at the rim last year, when he's making this many triples it will open up the lane sooner or later.

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#96 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:35 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Infinity2152 wrote:Personally, think Coby will be a better starter than Ben Gordon ever was, people forget how bad Gordon was at everything but shooting. Bad ballhandler, horrible defender, undersized at SG, poor passer. As far as Deng vs Pat Will, Deng didn't spend his first four years playing PF, or next to three 20 pt starters. Deng was not getting 18 a game next to Zach, Demar, and Vuc. Pat may never be as good at SF as Deng, but he still could be. Ayo vs Hinrich is tough, Hinrich's the better shooter and passer, both good defenders, Ayo's more explosively athletic and faster on breaks, Hinrich gets the edge but Ayo can get close.

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences. Optimistic, I know, but what does optimism hurt? Not inconceivable these young guys get better, pretty sure the guys they're getting compared to were all older with more experience when they were drafted.

Just pictured BG starting at point guard next to Lavine, Derozan, Deng and Vuc. Could have killed Deng's and Gordon's careers before they got started. Deng probably still looks good, but not All Star numbers and with Gordon starting at point next to Lavine and Debo and Vuc as the last line it's over, lmao!

I don’t Ayo will ever get close to Hinrich. Hinrich was a very high level starting point guard. Ayo might be able to match his defense, but that’s about it.

Deng never learned how to dribble or shoot 3s and that really limited him offensively. He was an all-star level role player though. PWill can dribble and shoot 3s so if he can be modern Deng for us that would be amazing. Long way to go for him on that…

Coby can easily be better than Ben Gordon. He is already is better than Gordon at everything but shooting and he looks like he can surpass him in that area.

Ayo will likely never be able to reach Kirk's defense, that was his best asset. He was an all-NBA level defender and I can't see Ayo getting to that level.

PWill absolutely cannot dribble and I would argue he's actually a worse dribbler than Deng, which is really saying something for a SF/PF. Deng wasn't a good ballhandler at all, but I don't recall him routinely dribbling the ball of his leg, out of bounds, off a defender like PWill does while being lightly defended or not defended at all.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#97 » by FriedRise » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 pm

Coby is now up to #4 in total 3PM in the entire league, which is just insane because he couldn't hit anything the first 10 games of the season.

Also crazy that he's tied for 4th with Hali. How the hell is Hali making that many 3s with THAT form? He's pushing the ball forward with so much body movement AFTER the hitch I don't understand how the aim can be accurate.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#98 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Infinity2152 wrote:Personally, think Coby will be a better starter than Ben Gordon ever was, people forget how bad Gordon was at everything but shooting. Bad ballhandler, horrible defender, undersized at SG, poor passer. As far as Deng vs Pat Will, Deng didn't spend his first four years playing PF, or next to three 20 pt starters. Deng was not getting 18 a game next to Zach, Demar, and Vuc. Pat may never be as good at SF as Deng, but he still could be. Ayo vs Hinrich is tough, Hinrich's the better shooter and passer, both good defenders, Ayo's more explosively athletic and faster on breaks, Hinrich gets the edge but Ayo can get close.

Not like Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng were physically superior to White, Ayo, and Williams, experience and growth can make up skill differences. Optimistic, I know, but what does optimism hurt? Not inconceivable these young guys get better, pretty sure the guys they're getting compared to were all older with more experience when they were drafted.

Just pictured BG starting at point guard next to Lavine, Derozan, Deng and Vuc. Could have killed Deng's and Gordon's careers before they got started. Deng probably still looks good, but not All Star numbers and with Gordon starting at point next to Lavine and Debo and Vuc as the last line it's over, lmao!

I don’t Ayo will ever get close to Hinrich. Hinrich was a very high level starting point guard. Ayo might be able to match his defense, but that’s about it.

Deng never learned how to dribble or shoot 3s and that really limited him offensively. He was an all-star level role player though. PWill can dribble and shoot 3s so if he can be modern Deng for us that would be amazing. Long way to go for him on that…

Coby can easily be better than Ben Gordon. He is already is better than Gordon at everything but shooting and he looks like he can surpass him in that area.

Ayo will likely never be able to reach Kirk's defense, that was his best asset. He was an all-NBA level defender and I can't see Ayo getting to that level.

PWill absolutely cannot dribble and I would argue he's actually a worse dribbler than Deng, which is really saying something for a SF/PF. Deng wasn't a good ballhandler at all, but I don't recall him routinely dribbling the ball of his leg, out of bounds, off a defender like PWill does while being lightly defended or not defended at all.

Nah he already has better handles than Deng. Deng couldn’t even dribble without looking down at the ball. Williams can a can take it coast to coast and finish.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#99 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:59 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Nah he already has better handles than Deng. Deng couldn’t even dribble without looking down at the ball. Williams can a can take it coast to coast and finish.

Pat is the worst ballhandler in the league among wings and it's not even close. He's literally a dog crap ball handler. He cannot dribble in any sense of the word.

The hyperbole on Deng is funny, I've heard it before.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#100 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:02 pm

I don't know, Deng was pretty bad. Pat is also quite bad. I'd hope by the time Pat is 26 he's at least to where Deng was in his prime. Of course I think Pat and Deng's best position on offense is PF, with the versatility to guard some wings.

Pat contested the hell out of Lopez a couple times last night at the 3 point line and in the paint, that reminded me of Luol a bit.

Return to Chicago Bulls