Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,723

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#1421 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:06 pm

drosestruts wrote:Rough season for the seven tax paying teams:

Warriors - didn't make the playoffs

Clippers - Currently tied 2-2 in the first round

Suns - swept in the 1st round

Boston - positioned to make a deep run

Bucks - down 3-1 in the first round

Denver - Positioned for a deep run

Heat - Down 3-1 in the first round

It's possible that only 2 of the 7 teams make it past the first round.

Even after that lots of high spenders aren't thriving

The failures overpaid and over relied on expensive old guys. Whereas the only 30+ players that Boston and Denver depend on are Jrue (33) and KCP (30), unless you say that Boston depends on Horford, but I dunno about that ... he was 7th on the team in minutes played.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#1422 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:18 pm

Ice Man wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Rough season for the seven tax paying teams:

Warriors - didn't make the playoffs

Clippers - Currently tied 2-2 in the first round

Suns - swept in the 1st round

Boston - positioned to make a deep run

Bucks - down 3-1 in the first round

Denver - Positioned for a deep run

Heat - Down 3-1 in the first round

It's possible that only 2 of the 7 teams make it past the first round.

Even after that lots of high spenders aren't thriving

The failures overpaid and over relied on expensive old guys. Whereas the only 30+ players that Boston and Denver depend on are Jrue (33) and KCP (30), unless you say that Boston depends on Horford, but I dunno about that ... he was 7th on the team in minutes played.

Indeed but spending.... just to spend means absolutely nothing. You have to spend smart and have good luck with health. Need a good team building GM... thats not ours.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#1423 » by kodo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Like I said before, the Suns are stuck with this team. They might shuffle a few bench pieces around but that's about it.

Agreed they're not going to / can't blow it up. Standard operating procedure here is to blame & fire the coach.

“Those sources said Durant had persistent issues with the offense, feeling that he was being relegated to the corner far too often and not having the proper designs to play to his strengths as the offense was built around pick-and-rolls.”
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#1424 » by Charlesareed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm

dumbell78 wrote:
Charlesareed wrote:As a Chicago native & bulls fan I’d gladly take Zach lavine over Bradley Beal 10/10

I posted at the time of the trade that Beal and Zach were basically a wash and the Suns did nothing but worsen their outlook. Some posters here thought I was wrong.

They are foolish to think not this point & time that Beal was better then Zach lavine they are almost the same player tho Beal a better playmaker and Zach a better 3pt shooter and tries on defense
Chicago Raised me
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#1425 » by madvillian » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:09 pm

kodo wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:Like I said before, the Suns are stuck with this team. They might shuffle a few bench pieces around but that's about it.

Agreed they're not going to / can't blow it up. Standard operating procedure here is to blame & fire the coach.

“Those sources said Durant had persistent issues with the offense, feeling that he was being relegated to the corner far too often and not having the proper designs to play to his strengths as the offense was built around pick-and-rolls.”

Ishbia is an example of an owner that spends but still stinks. I think the Suns might have a worse short term future than even Chicago. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to swing a trade with them if they are going to tear it down. Both squads have some overpaid guys that might look better with a change of scenery.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#1426 » by MrSparkle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 pm

Call me nuts, but Phoenix will run it back.

FWIW, last year Minnesota was beat 4-1 in the 1st rd. last year, with a mediocre 42-40 record after mortgaging their future for Gobert. Difference being they held onto a lot of depth pieces; PHX gave them all up and consolidated for 2 old/injury-prone supermax guys.

But a year of chemistry did help MIN. Beal and Booker obviously had zero chemistry. Beal, Royce and Grayson played their worst basketball ever in this series, and while neither of them are guaranteed to be better next year, the floor to beat is pretty low. Anyway, they could maybe catch Drummond with the MMLE, or somehow figure out Goga, to add to their C depth.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking trading for Beal. $57M in 2027, when he's 34yo -- geezus. I've long thought their trades were terrible, but HEY - as long as you have Durant and Booker healthy, 49 wins is better than 39. Payroll doesn't matter THAT much when the owner is willing to pay whatever. Locking in 30+ year olds with injury history on super maxes while having zero FRP trade flexibility is going to be painful to deal with though.
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 832

Post#1427 » by ChiefILL53 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 pm

kodo wrote:

I'm starting to look at KD like I do Luka. He's too focused on doin Iso Ball instead of playing in an offense. At least Luka will PnR you to death. So I take that quote as KD being upset he's told to not go iso all the time.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,853

Post#1428 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:15 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Call me nuts, but Phoenix will run it back.

FWIW, last year Minnesota was beat 4-1 in the 1st rd. last year, with a mediocre 42-40 record after mortgaging their future for Gobert. Difference being they held onto a lot of depth pieces; PHX gave them all up and consolidated for 2 old/injury-prone supermax guys.

But a year of chemistry did help MIN. Beal and Booker obviously had zero chemistry. Beal, Royce and Grayson played their worst basketball ever in this series, and while neither of them are guaranteed to be better next year, the floor to beat is pretty low. Anyway, they could maybe catch Drummond with the MMLE, or somehow figure out Goga, to add to their C depth.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking trading for Beal. $57M in 2027, when he's 34yo -- geezus. I've long thought their trades were terrible, but HEY - as long as you have Durant and Booker healthy, 49 wins is better than 39. Payroll doesn't matter THAT much when the owner is willing to pay whatever. Locking in 30+ year olds with injury history on super maxes while having zero FRP trade flexibility is going to be painful to deal with though.

Phoenix has very little in the way of options outside of running it back.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,853

Post#1429 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 pm

madvillian wrote:Ishbia is an example of an owner that spends but still stinks. I think the Suns might have a worse short term future than even Chicago. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to swing a trade with them if they are going to tear it down. Both squads have some overpaid guys that might look better with a change of scenery.

Unless you are already a sure fire top 4 team in your conference, it makes very little sense to think you will get anything out of paying the tax.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,930

Post#1430 » by jc23 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:54 pm

Denver needs to finish this tonight. Murray is probably out but let this go to a game 6 or 7 and you are a Jokic sprained ankle away from losing 4 straight.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#1431 » by Dan Z » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:53 am

dougthonus wrote:
madvillian wrote:Ishbia is an example of an owner that spends but still stinks. I think the Suns might have a worse short term future than even Chicago. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to swing a trade with them if they are going to tear it down. Both squads have some overpaid guys that might look better with a change of scenery.

Unless you are already a sure fire top 4 team in your conference, it makes very little sense to think you will get anything out of paying the tax.

You can use it at times to incrementally get better. For example, when Isaiah Hartenstein was a free agent I wanted the Bulls to sign him, but doing so meant paying the tax. The Knicks signed him to a 2 year 16 million dollar deal. Had the Bulls signed him they'd have a starting level center as their backup, which improves the team and gives them room to negotiate with Vucevic when his contract was up a year later (because they'd have a starter to replace Vucevic if they decided to move on from him).

If you're always restricted due to ownership refusing to pay the tax then that's one less option to improve the team (in hopes of getting into the top 4 or better).

However, I don't think paying the tax is always a good idea. It has to be a move like the Hartenstein example I said above. If a team is bad it's generally better to avoid paying it.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1432 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 am

Wonder if this FO gets paid too handsomely to worry about it, but man- how salty does everyone have to feel?

Baby OKC is perhaps contending while Billy couldn’t make it to the 1st round with multiple vets and former all stars.

Orlando’s tied it back up with Franz’s insane performance, while Vuc’s fishing.

Still remember Carlisle’s post game when he said with a heavy dose of sarcasm after Tristan Thompson’s big game, that he was getting bought out and signing with a neighbor.

Spurs PROBABLY transcend the Bulls by the time we finish paying Demar $40M and cough up that 11-14th pick.

And then Kornet pops up occasionally and actually helps the #1 Celtics.

It’s 1 salt-burn after another. 2nd round appearances for everybody but AK/BD.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Post#1433 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:55 am

dougthonus wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Call me nuts, but Phoenix will run it back.

Phoenix has very little in the way of options outside of running it back.

They have one extreme option, and that is to trade Booker and Durant to get assets for their completely barren war chest and rebuild. Beal likely has no value so they would stick with him as the veteran leader for a season, hope he stays healthy and plays well, and maybe you find a taker the following summer.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,438

Post#1434 » by aguifs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 am

Goat out :D :D :D
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1435 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:30 am

I thought Murray was making some of the most incredible buckets in the bubble. Some folks chalked it up to the “no fans, no pressure” effect.

But I swear, this guy makes the most difficult postseason jumpshots I’ve ever seen, short of Curry. With the ACL history to boot.

Had a rough series but what a close.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#1436 » by prolific passer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:30 am

Hard fought 5 game series. Nuggets were tested.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#1437 » by Muzbar » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 am

aguifs wrote:Goat out :D :D :D

Jordan came out of retirement? :wink:

Thank you Nuggets.

Suck @#%^ Lakers.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#1438 » by kodo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:56 am

LA needed to have made a bigger move at the deadline. Reaves + Russell were 3-14 from 3, Prince + Vincent 0-5 from the bench.

Minny should be a tough challenge for Denver, esp. if Murray is hurt.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,671

Post#1439 » by Repeat 3-peat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:59 am

Free throws

LA: 18-27
Denver: 8-9 (Jokic with 0)
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,309

Post#1440 » by dumbell78 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am

Minny vs Denver will be fascinating. Winner of this series wins the chip to me.

I worry about Denver and their lack of depth, even with their home court. Denver got 14 pts off the bench today at home against the Lakers. 8 from Jackson and I thought he was bad tonight. Hard to ask Murray to have these kinds of games when he is limping and questionable to even play.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes

Return to Chicago Bulls