Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#41 » by Dan Z » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:33 pm

MikeDC wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
MikeDC wrote:
If you want to say they didn't know how great Shai would be, sure. But they knew he would be good and having him was central to the deal.

Which is a fact you guys are not acknowledging, but it very important to understanding why some teams are successful and why others aren't. Timing. Talent evaluation.

OKC keeps coming up good because they do stuff like require guys like Shai as "throw ins". They ask for that extra 2nd rounder and get it. And they understand that timing matters. Trading PG when he's at the height of his value.

Remember when the Bulls traded with OKC? We traded Dog McDogmut and freaking Taj Gibson. And OKC asked for a got a 2nd rounder that turned out to be a high one 2018 #32... Mitchell Freaking Robinson!) to get a backup PG with a broken foot (Cam Payne).

OKC is a smart team. Not every move is going to work out, but they work out more because they're better at talent evaluation, they're better at planning, and they just know how and what to value more than dumbass teams like the Bulls and Pistons.

Smart teams ask for a lot and get it. Smart teams move a year sooner. Teams like the Bulls and Pistons are always moving a year or more too late, and generally compliantly handing over too freaking much.

Now, GarPax can just sit there and talk about, I guess, how it was unforeseeable that their big swing on Cam Payne just didn't work out while nobody could have imagined Shai would be so good. But that's ridiculous loser talk.

I still don't agree with you. Presti entered a job with Durant gifted to him - he helped the Celtics win a chip by sending Ray for a bust Jeff Green - and he ultimately sniffed a ring but lost it all by picking Thabo, Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins over paying Harden the max.

They traded PG because he and FA Kawhi colluded to unite in their hometown LA via the Clippers. I don't think OKC were shopping George; that's why Ballmer signed off on such a bat**** trade offer. He had to pay a premium for a guy who had broken his leg severely the year prior, and was back in ASG shape but chronically injury prone.

The Ibaka/Orlando trade is still one of the most puzzling swaps of all-time. I don't know what the Magic were smoking the night of that trade, but sending Oladipo and Sabonis' draft rights for an expiring Ibaka, coming off a career low season, was one of the most bizarre trades in NBA history. But that gift kept giving as he was able to capitalize on Indiana with that package, and ultimately the Clippers.

Weird how "good luck" just keeps happening over and over to OKC but not to us...

But lucky breaks like that happen in the NBA. Was Paxson more genius, or was Isiah more of a buffoon? Cause we never saw the same pattern of ingenious trading after those 2 off-seasons.

Paxson was average and Isaiah was a buffoon working for another buffoon.

I'd love to hear about all of Presti's other ingenious trades (future MVP for Kevin Martin, future champ Ray Allen for Jeff Green, Jeff Green for K. Perkins). The CP3/Westbrook swap worked out well; dunno why Houston bothered attaching picks, but it seemed more stupid and desperate on their end.

I doubt it, because it would further undermine the interpretation you're pushing. If you heard the full truth of the Harden deal, you'd understand that it was apparently forced or at least influenced by the owner (the late Aubrey McClendon) being in financial hot water with the Feds, the team being completely out of money, and the structure of a new CBA that hit them at such a key time that the league actually stepped in paid the Thunder back for some of the money they had to fork over for KD's supermax.

I've already said that no team is going to get every move right. But, Presti consistently does a lot better than almost everyone else. And you're left grasping for saying you "don't know" why all the teams that deal with him seem to lose those deals. Well, it's because Presti is a good GM and most of the guys he deals with are not.

I like Presti, but I don't know why a guy with multiple HOFs on his roster and zero championships gets held to such a high pedigree by some of you guys. Even Isiah Thomas could've built a contender around Kevin Durant and Eddy Curry. :lol:

Actually no. That's kind of the point. Bad GMs pretty regularly outsmart themselves. Presti wasn't gifted KD, he chose to take him. A guy like Isiah would probably have kept Allen (going into his age 32 season!) and Rashard Lewis (also on the roster until Presti let the Magic massively overpay for him) and drafted Mike Conley or Spencer Hawes because they were "ready" to step in and help immediately.

C'mon, you know this. You can hear all the meathead guys bobbing along to Isiah and talking about how KD is nothing but an undeveloped version of Rashard Lewis anyway, and the Sonics will be back in the playoffs with Conley/Allen/Rashard and Nick Collison. That was a dead end team, and Isiah would never pass up the chance to hold on to the aging Allen for too long or overpay the mediocre Lewis too much. I mean, why draft KD? He's just a younger version of Rashard... we'll be rebuilding for years!

That's one reason why I wonder about AK giving up a pick to sign DDR. Yes, they had to give something to make it all work, but who else was bidding on him?

DDR came here because the Bulls offered the best contract and the Spurs did it to get some assets. They already got two second round picks and a decent vet (Thad who was flipped for a first round pick). I know Aminu was a negative, but did he matter that much for the Spurs?

In a similar way I think about the Vucevic trade. Why didn't AK put better protections on the 2021 pick? I'm sure the Bulls did the Vucevic trading thinking that they'd make the playoffs and the Magic probably thought the same thing. With that in mind why not protect the pick just in case things go south? I bet the Magic still do that deal.

It makes me think that AK might not value picks all that much.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,347

Post#42 » by Mk0 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Bulls have a DPO the week award. "The Hammer" Award.
So when do I sue them for undermining the Taj Gibson Award for the areas of Heart Hustle and Muscle?

Billy you rat bastard!
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#43 » by madvillian » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:34 am

It's nice that while he's a good young player, Franz isn't quite a star yet. And Carter Jr. is basically the same dude he was in Chicago. We overpaid but not looking as bad as it once did.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 406

Post#44 » by Lexluthor » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:14 am

Ice Man wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:Seriously who cares about Derrick rose , he lead us nowhere in his prime but for some reason he gets more love on this board than Michael jordan

I never understood this sort of thing. By this logic, the only two players in Bulls history who matter are Mike and Scottie, because they were the only two players who were ever indispensable for the Bulls advancing to the NBA Finals. I mean, that's it? We're not allowed to have strong and fond memories of anybody else?

But he lead the bulls to nowhere . He could not lead the bulls to a least one nba final . Plus his work ethic suspect became after his acl tear . Say what you want about Zach he had strong work ethic compared to Derrick
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,445

Post#45 » by Muzbar » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:53 am

Lexluthor wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:Seriously who cares about Derrick rose , he lead us nowhere in his prime but for some reason he gets more love on this board than Michael jordan

I never understood this sort of thing. By this logic, the only two players in Bulls history who matter are Mike and Scottie, because they were the only two players who were ever indispensable for the Bulls advancing to the NBA Finals. I mean, that's it? We're not allowed to have strong and fond memories of anybody else?

But he lead the bulls to nowhere . He could not lead the bulls to a least one nba final . Plus his work ethic suspect became after his acl tear . Say what you want about Zach he had strong work ethic compared to Derrick

He lead the Bulls to their first ECF since the Dynasty at 22 years of age.

He had an ACL injury at 23 years of age which basically robbed him of a HOF career as his body just gave out on him. Were you really expecting a 22/23 year old to lead a team to the NBA finals? Or a broken bodied 26/27 year old who was a shell of his former self?

I guess you hate Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, Loul Deng and Nate Robinson too?
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#46 » by Wingy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:21 pm

Gah. Recycled Bulls topics, yuck.

How bout them Pistons?!?! I predict they get their next win two games from now vs Bulls North (aka the Raptors). Apparently Tatum/Brown are conveniently “questionable,” so they could have a chance against Boston next game if they don’t suit up.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,393

Post#47 » by drosestruts » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:31 pm

Pacers 3-7 in their last 10. Were an early season darling that seems to be falling backdown to earth a little bit. Also Carlisle has them playing a pretty tight rotation - only 9 guys played in the last game.

Bulls could be nudging their way into the 8th seed by the end of the year here.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#48 » by MrSparkle » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Suns, Lakers and Warriors are smack-dab .500 lottery teams.

Morant appears to be hauling the Grizzlies right back into play-in range.

Should be an interesting stretch.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,323

Post#49 » by kodo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:24 pm

Wingy wrote:Gah. Recycled Bulls topics, yuck.

How bout them Pistons?!?! I predict they get their next win two games from now vs Bulls North (aka the Raptors). Apparently Tatum/Brown are conveniently “questionable,” so they could have a chance against Boston next game if they don’t suit up.

I do think they'll win soon, by net rating they're not the worst team in the league recently and similar to the Wizards. They got Bogdanovic back which was huge since they traded away Bey and Harris is injured. Their recent 3P makes is now the same as ours.

If there was any chance of a real Bulls teardown, this Pistons debacle I'm sure has firmly scared ownership out of doing anything of the sort. I smell a Derozan long term extension coming.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#50 » by patryk7754 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:07 am

we should have traded for Porzingis
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#51 » by Charlesareed » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:11 am

patryk7754 wrote:we should have traded for Porzingis

I was watching the game against and thought the same like we’d be great with his defense & spacing
Chicago Raised me
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#52 » by patryk7754 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:12 am

Charlesareed wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:we should have traded for Porzingis

I was watching the game against and thought the same like we’d be great with his defense & spacing

I’ve been saying it for a couple years now. He would’ve have been great at a 4 or 5 for us. Preferably 4
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,323

Post#53 » by kodo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:49 am

Even Howard Mass posted in the Pistons thread.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#54 » by FriedRise » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:57 am

I’m just glad we don’t have to face the Pistons anytime soon. It’s funny because I think a lot of teams are playing extra hard and treating them like a Game 7 vs the KD Warriors because they don’t wanna be the team that ends that streak.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#55 » by Charlesareed » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:50 pm

We should be able to rollover the pistons tho suck and don’t play any defense Cade is a turnover machine with low bbiq but the team does play hard
Chicago Raised me
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,923

Post#56 » by RSP83 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:45 pm

Nobody creates a thread on that latest Lonzo update?
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 830

Post#57 » by ChiefILL53 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Toronto got Quickley, Barrett and a 2nd. NY also got Achiuwa
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,365

Post#58 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:38 pm

I like that deal for Toronto. Yeah its probably a mixed bag on RJ but RJ + Quick? Now that is a good deal.

I think Knicks need to make another move. They are going to miss IQ.
The Cult of Personality
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#59 » by Infinity2152 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:54 pm

This trade seems weird because of the two teams involved. Trading two young (semi)star players to a team in the same division, and a team you're currently in a lawsuit with? I guess we did send Lauri to the Cavs, but he was a restricted free agent and wanted more than we would pay him, and we got a first round pick and DJJ. I'm still glad he's balling for the Jazz and not in our division, lol!

Getting Achiuwa makes it a really balanced deal, imo. I'd send them Ayo or Carter for Achiuwa, they could use a good guard to replace Quickley's minutes.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,682

Post#60 » by sco » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Infinity2152 wrote:This trade seems weird because of the two teams involved. Trading two young (semi)star players to a team in the same division, and a team you're currently in a lawsuit with? I guess we did send Lauri to the Cavs, but he was a restricted free agent and wanted more than we would pay him, and we got a first round pick and DJJ. I'm still glad he's balling for the Jazz and not in our division, lol!

Getting Achiuwa makes it a really balanced deal, imo. I'd send them Ayo or Carter for Achiuwa, they could use a good guard to replace Quickley's minutes.

They have too many guards. They need Achiuwa to give them minutes at C to replace MRob.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls