Image ImageImage Image

Alex Caruso: Do you want too keep him or trade him for a good return?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Keep AC or trade him for a good return

Keep
35%
Trade
65%

Total votes: 75

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Re: Alex Caruso: Do you want too keep him or trade him for a good return? 

Post#101 » by League Circles » Fri May 3, 2024 6:53 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Chi town wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
You're much better off trading Caruso for a long term asset than to unload 1 year of 20M in salary.

It’s 2 years and Vuc dictates how we play on both ends.

You dump him with Caruso and still land a 1st. The money saved can be used to take on a bad contract and another pick.

You will only save money on the 2nd year, because this year you will match salary.

If you resign DeMar and Pat, then you also won't be able to spend the money next year anyway, you'll just have more room under the tax, but you'll be capped out at using the MLE, and you'd already be able to use the full MLE anyway with Lonzo coming off the books, so with what looks like our current plan, it also doesn't save you any useable money next year.

No one is giving you a 1st and taking on Vuc just for Caruso, but if his value was that high, you are better off just getting two 1sts instead, because again, you won't be able to meaningfully utilize the space you get back from Vuc.

If you don't resign DeMar and Pat, then you are tanking anyway, and this would still further enforce the idea of getting more draft assets rather than trying to free up cap space.

If you do free up Vuc in an attempt to make the team better now by getting a better center and upgrading, then you won't do it this year (Because you don't have any room to sign anyone) so this year is still dead in the water, and next year, you could bring in the center but only with the MLE. Maybe you can upgrade Vuc that money, maybe not.

However a better plan is just to play Vuc/Drummond equal minutes today, and to reduce Vuc's shots to 8 a game so he isn't destroying you on offense at least. It's unlikely you're going to find an upgrade with our assets even if you get him off the roster. The best solution with Vuc is to start limiting his touches and his role IMO.

Vuc is a crap situation, and I am equally frustrated as you are with him playing on both ends, but using an asset to dump him doesn't replace him with something better, add any meaningful flexibility, or help us in any meaningful way whether we are trying to win now or build towards something in a couple years. It removes an eyesore from the team, but it's not going to be any more fun watching an Drummond / Sanogo front court.

A lot of what you say here is true, but IMO it's crucial to see IF we can dump Vuc BEFORE FA this year. If we can dump some summer 2025 salary (Vuc, Carter, Terry, and/or Zach), then 2025 FA starts to become much more appealing/flexible. Then it may very well be wise to let Demar and/or Patrick and/or Drummond walk to ensure we truly have big cap space. That's why we need to be shopping these guys hard before FA starts and we get cornered into re-signing everyone to an extent.

In a sense it's kind of an all or nothing situation. But ultimately Vuc is pretty bad and it's very plausible to me that a guy like Draymond Green improves us quite a bit. Or even Drummond, hell Sanogo, or a cheap FA. And I see Caruso as kinda meaningless approaching his final year while often injured and perhaps not as good as Ayo now.

Bottom line, AT LEAST one of Demar, Patrick, Zach, or Caruso needs to GO, and in a way that optimizes value overall for us. Otherwise we're just squandering what very little quality we have by redundancy on the perimeter while we have utter trash at the 4/5. I suppose Ayo or Coby could go instead, but I'd prefer to keep them. All depends on specifics though.

In a sense Demar and Patrick should be last to go, cause due to FA status, we'd likely get the least for them if anything.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,881

Post#102 » by dougthonus » Fri May 3, 2024 7:00 pm

League Circles wrote:A lot of what you say here is true, but IMO it's crucial to see IF we can dump Vuc BEFORE FA this year. If we can dump some summer 2025 salary (Vuc, Carter, Terry, and/or Zach), then 2025 FA starts to become much more appealing/flexible. Then it may very well be wise to let Demar and/or Patrick and/or Drummond walk to ensure we truly have big cap space. That's why we need to be shopping these guys hard before FA starts and we get cornered into re-signing everyone to an extent.

In a sense it's kind of an all or nothing situation. But ultimately Vuc is pretty bad and it's very plausible to me that a guy like Draymond Green improves us quite a bit. Or even Drummond, hell Sanogo, or a cheap FA. And I see Caruso as kinda meaningless approaching his final year while often injured and perhaps not as good as Ayo now.

Bottom line, AT LEAST one of Demar, Patrick, Zach, or Caruso needs to GO, and in a way that optimizes value overall for us. Otherwise we're just squandering what very little quality we have by redundancy on the perimeter while we have utter trash at the 4/5. I suppose Ayo or Coby could go instead, but I'd prefer to keep them. All depends on specifics though.

In a sense Demar and Patrick should be last to go, cause due to FA status, we'd likely get the least for them if anything.

:dontknow:

This sounds like you have a theory and have even remotely considered the execution.

1: No one is going to make a bunch of moves to get us under the cap
2: If by some miracle I'm wrong about #1, there is no one to sign anyway
3: If there were someone to sign (which there isn't) with what is left on the roster, we would not be a desirable place to go

This plan is how people were GMing 15 years ago, but it isn't how the league works anymore. No one hits FA anymore, everyone extends early, demands a trade, and then you need draft picks and matching salary to make it work.

Which again, is why, even if you don't want to use them, acquiring draft picks is more beneficial, and dumping a salary that can be a trade matcher in a year for cap room we can't allocate isn't helpful.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#103 » by Almost Retired » Fri May 3, 2024 7:50 pm

Trade the kid, for HIS sake. Send him somewhere he can at least sniff at the hope of a Playoff run. His gives maximum effort at all times. He's wasting that effort here.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#104 » by League Circles » Fri May 3, 2024 7:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:A lot of what you say here is true, but IMO it's crucial to see IF we can dump Vuc BEFORE FA this year. If we can dump some summer 2025 salary (Vuc, Carter, Terry, and/or Zach), then 2025 FA starts to become much more appealing/flexible. Then it may very well be wise to let Demar and/or Patrick and/or Drummond walk to ensure we truly have big cap space. That's why we need to be shopping these guys hard before FA starts and we get cornered into re-signing everyone to an extent.

:dontknow:

This sounds like you have a theory and have even remotely considered the execution.

1: No one is going to make a bunch of moves to get us under the cap
2: If by some miracle I'm wrong about #1, there is no one to sign anyway
3: If there were someone to sign (which there isn't) with what is left on the roster, we would not be a desirable place to go

This plan is how people were GMing 15 years ago, but it isn't how the league works anymore. No one hits FA anymore, everyone extends early, demands a trade, and then you need draft picks and matching salary to make it work.

Which again, is why, even if you don't want to use them, acquiring draft picks is more beneficial, and dumping a salary that can be a trade matcher in a year for cap room we can't allocate isn't helpful.

Can't do the math at the moment, but if we dump Vuc+ and Don't re-sign guys can't we pretty trivially have cap space in a year? Like, really huge cap space? Maybe double max depending on what we trade Zach for?

Can't recall the 2025 FAs at the moment, but who ever there is now will likely increase in unknown ways over the next 15 months.

Chicago will always be a desirable place to go. But especially if we have double max space alongside Coby and Ayo.

I understand the current trend, but that may change for reasons I won't bore you with at the moment. Has any desirable market team EVER had double max cap space outside of the 2010 Heat? It's a totally different situation when you can add two max guys. When the league zigs, you've got to consider zagging IMO.

But hey, of we can stockpile a few mediocre picks and add a guy like Kyrie Irving or James Harden, by all means let's do that. Or draft another Patrick Williams or whatever.

There is no obvious path to improvement or contention in sight and there is no formula to get there. If there is, why doesn't OKC have a legit superstarstar alongside SGA to ensure a title?

I like to work from first principles. Get actual good players on good contracts (Coby, Caruso, maybe Ayo) actual good picks (top 5-10ish), and wheel and deal from there. Grt rid of others if possible as long as doing so doesn't cost you good players or picks.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,881

Post#105 » by dougthonus » Fri May 3, 2024 9:01 pm

League Circles wrote:Can't do the math at the moment, but if we dump Vuc+ and Don't re-sign guys can't we pretty trivially have cap space in a year? Like, really huge cap space? Maybe double max depending on what we trade Zach for?

Can't recall the 2025 FAs at the moment, but who ever there is now will likely increase in unknown ways over the next 15 months.

Chicago will always be a desirable place to go. But especially if we have double max space alongside Coby and Ayo.

I understand the current trend, but that may change for reasons I won't bore you with at the moment. Has any desirable market team EVER had double max cap space outside of the 2010 Heat? It's a totally different situation when you can add two max guys. When the league zigs, you've got to consider zagging IMO.

But hey, of we can stockpile a few mediocre picks and add a guy like Kyrie Irving or James Harden, by all means let's do that. Or draft another Patrick Williams or whatever.

There is no obvious path to improvement or contention in sight and there is no formula to get there. If there is, why doesn't OKC have a legit superstarstar alongside SGA to ensure a title?

I like to work from first principles. Get actual good players on good contracts (Coby, Caruso, maybe Ayo) actual good picks (top 5-10ish), and wheel and deal from there. Grt rid of others if possible as long as doing so doesn't cost you good players or picks.

My fault, I misread and thought you were aiming for cap room this year.

Next year, we can get significantly under if we pass on DeMar and dump Zach/Vuc for expirings.

2025 theoretically possible but unlikely
LeBron James (Probably extends before that)
Paul George (probably opts out and gets a new deal)
Rudy Gobert (PO) - Probably will opt in
Jimmy Butler - 48M PO - Probably opts in with an extension of 1-2 years

Maybe available
Fred VanVleet - Team Option of 42M, Houston may not pick that up
Kyrie Irving - 40M PO - Could see this one going either way
Julius Randle - 29.3M PO - Could go either way

Likely at least hits FA (not necessarily likely to leave their team)
Donovan Mitchell - 32M PO, probably opts because I think he can make more money even if he intends to stay with Cleveland or with a team Cleveland trades him to
Jason Tatum - 32M PO - Will likely opt out but overwhelmingly likely to just stay in Boston unless something goes nuts
Jamal Murray - UFA probably can make more by not extending but also probably stays in Denver
Brandon Ingram - UFA
Jalen Brunson - 26M PO will opt out to get more money

If I were to guess who is really available, I would say:
Julius Randle will opt out and may also consider the best situation
Donovan Mitchell will probably opt out and consider a team other than the Cavs if he isn't moved

Would guess everyone else ends up staying where they are or getting resolved earlier.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
amcfad27
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,564

Post#106 » by amcfad27 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:43 pm

What do you think of a Caruso extension 4/78?

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 999

Post#107 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 4, 2024 4:17 am

It's a crime against humanity that AKME didn't trade him this season. So, so dumb. Get what you can for him. I selfishly want to trade him to the Knicks so I can see an OG-Carushow duo on defense. That would be one of the greatest defensive wing duos ever.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#108 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 4, 2024 4:18 am

Rose2Boozer wrote:Trade Caruso to the Sixers for picks 16, 41, and a 2027 second. We gotta cash out on Caruso. The Bulls can't be the team that signs him to his next contract. The Sixers technically don't even have to send back a player.

I can see the Sixers doing that if they sign Paul George. Caruso would be a great final piece to their puzzle.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Post#109 » by Red8911 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:04 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:It's a crime against humanity that AKME didn't trade him this season. So, so dumb. Get what you can for him. I selfishly want to trade him to the Knicks so I can see an OG-Carushow duo on defense. That would be one of the greatest defensive wing duos ever.

Funny how many of you guys want to trade away a guy because he’s a good player lol.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#110 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 4, 2024 6:55 am

Red8911 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:It's a crime against humanity that AKME didn't trade him this season. So, so dumb. Get what you can for him. I selfishly want to trade him to the Knicks so I can see an OG-Carushow duo on defense. That would be one of the greatest defensive wing duos ever.

Funny how many of you guys want to trade away a guy because he’s a good player lol.

Are you implying that good players shouldn't be traded away?
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,002

Post#111 » by MisterRoy » Sat May 4, 2024 10:27 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Why not keep him? The team needs veteran leadership, not just a bunch of young players. If we trade away Vuc, Zach, DDR and just let Drummond walk, what real vets do we have?

Sent from somewhere you’ve never been.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#112 » by step » Sat May 4, 2024 10:34 am

MisterRoy wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Funny how many of you guys want to trade away a guy because he’s a good player lol.

Why not keep him? The team needs veteran leadership, not just a bunch of young players. If we trade away Vuc, Zach, DDR and just let Drummond walk, what real vets do we have?

And what makes you think he'll want to stay after next season if that's the case? Now you've potentially lost him for nothing.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,457

Post#113 » by LateNight » Sat May 4, 2024 11:52 am

sco wrote:
League Circles wrote:
MikeDC wrote:I get why people want to get a picture of what "trade for a good return" looks like, but let's also be realistic about what "keep" AC looks like.

With Caruso, we're a mediocre team. Without Caruso we're a mediocre team. He's 6th in minutes played. We're not going to fall apart without him. With him, he's not going to lead us anywhere special.

Keep him and we are committing to more of the same both for the rest of this year and next year. Then, at the end of next season, he's a 30 year old FA who's probably out the door. Or we overpay to re-sign him.

Either way this is a clear case where "Keep" doesn't seem all that great. So the question is do you move a year early or a year late?

Well, obviously you move early.
1. With Coby/Zach/Ayo we can afford to lose him and still credibly fill in the guard slots.
2. His value to a contending team as a 29 year old they get for two playoff runs on a team-friendly deal is much higher than it will be as a 30 year old they get for one and then have to worry about re-signing.

From that perspective, a "good return" is relative. The return we get this year is going to be obviously better than the return we'd get by waiting. This is the high point of his value in trade. The opportunity cost of losing him is minimal.

Put all that together and this is the most obvious and easiest question to answer about the Bulls. Of course you trade him!

Idk, what you're saying makes sense, but the return now may be less desirable than re-signing him in summer 2025, which may very well not require a deal above the full MLE. So if it's between that and getting, say, a late 2024 first (and bad matching salary), I'd keep him and roll the dice.

It's always tricky when people assess value in terms of draft capital because it ignores the never-irrelevant matching salary that would be coming back, with all the pros and cons associated with the players making that salary.

I do wonder what his next deal looks like. IMO his 3pt shooting and general offensive positive impact (compared to years past), has elevated his value to $15M+.

I disgree with the notion that we're mediocre without AC. IMO, without him we might be at 50% of our win count. His impact on the rest of the team, especially guys like Pat and Coby, is under appreciated. Also, Ayo has not played like even a rotation level player this or last year. I know there is a lot of homer love for Ayo, but let's not say we have real guard depth if we need to include Ayo.

I sort of agree with the Caruso assessment (50% seems high) but definitely don’t agree about Ayo. He has had some meh & bad games, but definitely played like a rotational level player.

He may not be a consistent high level player yet, but he has had some great games.
MisterRoy
Veteran

Alex Caruso: Do you want too keep him or trade him for a good return? 

Post#114 » by MisterRoy » Sat May 4, 2024 12:38 pm

step wrote:
MisterRoy wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:Are you implying that good players shouldn't be traded away?

And what makes you think he'll want to stay after next season if that's the case? Now you've potentially lost him for nothing.

What makes you think he wants to leave? Now we trade him and he wants to stay.

We can do the what ifs all day long. My point is why trade away veteran leader players when we need them.

Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 899

Post#115 » by Evil_Headband » Sat May 4, 2024 1:17 pm

Trying to make the playoffs next year? Keep him.

Rebuilding? Trade him.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#116 » by Chi town » Sat May 4, 2024 3:09 pm

MisterRoy wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Funny how many of you guys want to trade away a guy because he’s a good player lol.

What is a vet? Age? Years in the league?

Ayo and Coby certainly play like vets. Coby showed more leadership on the court last year than anyone outside of Caruso.
MisterRoy
Veteran

Post#117 » by MisterRoy » Sat May 4, 2024 5:04 pm

Chi town wrote:
MisterRoy wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:Are you implying that good players shouldn't be traded away?

What is a vet? Age? Years in the league?

Ayo and Coby certainly play like vets. Coby showed more leadership on the court last year than anyone outside of Caruso.

Good point. I guess I considered Caruso/DDR tobe better leaders or would provide better leadership than the younger guys. Maybe it's the case, maybe not.

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Post#118 » by Dan Z » Sat May 4, 2024 9:18 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:Trying to make the playoffs next year? Keep him.

Rebuilding? Trade him.

What if they come back with basically the same team next year and get around the same results?

It is a situation where they should evaluate it at the trade deadline?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Post#119 » by Dan Z » Sat May 4, 2024 9:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:Can't do the math at the moment, but if we dump Vuc+ and Don't re-sign guys can't we pretty trivially have cap space in a year? Like, really huge cap space? Maybe double max depending on what we trade Zach for?

My fault, I misread and thought you were aiming for cap room this year.

Next year, we can get significantly under if we pass on DeMar and dump Zach/Vuc for expirings.

2025 theoretically possible but unlikely
LeBron James (Probably extends before that)
Paul George (probably opts out and gets a new deal)
Rudy Gobert (PO) - Probably will opt in
Jimmy Butler - 48M PO - Probably opts in with an extension of 1-2 years

Maybe available
Fred VanVleet - Team Option of 42M, Houston may not pick that up
Kyrie Irving - 40M PO - Could see this one going either way
Julius Randle - 29.3M PO - Could go either way

Likely at least hits FA (not necessarily likely to leave their team)
Donovan Mitchell - 32M PO, probably opts because I think he can make more money even if he intends to stay with Cleveland or with a team Cleveland trades him to
Jason Tatum - 32M PO - Will likely opt out but overwhelmingly likely to just stay in Boston unless something goes nuts
Jamal Murray - UFA probably can make more by not extending but also probably stays in Denver
Brandon Ingram - UFA
Jalen Brunson - 26M PO will opt out to get more money

If I were to guess who is really available, I would say:
Julius Randle will opt out and may also consider the best situation
Donovan Mitchell will probably opt out and consider a team other than the Cavs if he isn't moved

Would guess everyone else ends up staying where they are or getting resolved earlier.

That leaves Brandon Ingram. Fred VanVleet and Julius Randle as possibilities (if the Bulls open up cap space). They don't need FVV at a high salary (with Coby and Ayo on the roster) and I'm not sure if Randle does much other than rearranging the chairs (although would this scenario mean Randle plus DDR and no Zach?).

Ingram is a good player at a good age (soon to be 27 years old), but he has injury concerns and hasn't had much playoff success. I guess the Bulls would build around him? It's possible that they make moves, to get cap space, and Ingram isn't available (because he signs an extension before FA) or isn't interested in coming to Chicago. They'd need a plan B just in case.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#120 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 4, 2024 10:26 pm

One fallacy might be baking in the idea that Ayo and Coby are due for another jump.

They improved, but I could see another slow start to the season, as that’s been their trend for 2+ years running. Kind of reminds me of Hinrich and Gordon, where the shot’s playing catch-up, and the playmaking/rim-penetration isn’t ELITE enough to make them nightly triple-threats (to win games).

Caruso plays a rather elite level of defense from the opening tip. Did it matter last year? Not entirely.

All I know, is that Arturas needs to decide whether he wants a fun team to watch, or a Pax/try-hard team.

Common sense says all 3 should be shopped, because the buyer market might go crazy on draft night (all the Cancun teams coupled with it being a bad draft). If there’s a strong offer (two FRPs or prospects), you have to take it.

It’d be ****ing stupid thinking Coby/Caruso/Ayo/Demar/Vuc have something special to build on. Did they make the team a watchable product? Yes. Was it exciting? Sometimes- more stressful though. No lead was safe, and no competent start was guaranteed.

All 3 of these undersized combo guards would be secondary handler PGs on a real NBA contender, with 2-3 elite scoring options. Pairing them all together is a fine desperation plan when your starting backcourt landed in the hospital, but as a long term plan? With expiring player options soon? What are we doing?

There are going to be multiple playmaking prospects at 11 (or around there). They must be considered, and if they’re drafted, AK needs to make the hard decision and break up this preposterous 6’3 guard rotation. I don’t care how bad the draft is: there is sometimes 1 star guard who falls to the 11-30 range (high bust rate- i know).

Return to Chicago Bulls