Image ImageImage Image

It's painfully obvious DeMar isn't conducive to a modern, efficient offense

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,295

Re: It's painfully obvious DeMar isn't conducive to a modern, efficient offense 

Post#81 » by andyhop » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:04 am

With Derozans PNR possessions being well below league average efficiency for a possession , replacing some of them with something else sounds like a pretty good idea
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#82 » by RastaBull » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:02 am

Eh, I still love him. Hope he plays out the season with us this year and is back next :-D

His assists are at high in his 3 years here (5.3), all while his turnovers have drastically dropped (from 2.4 , to 2.1, to 1.4 this year!).

And he's taking threes for real now. Averaging the second most of his career while hitting a 35% clip (on 2.8 att on season, but 3.2 over last 20 and 3.4 over last 10).

I love the way he plays, and the offensive diversity he offers a team. His iso is a legit weapon for ANY team. It's a sore spot when he/team overuse it. But no one should get it twisted, he's an absolute professional scorer and his ability to back down/one-on-one iso with anyone in the league can change up an offense during a struggling run.

Tonight against Spurs was a great example of why I LOVE him. Yeah, most will rag on him because he missed three straight iso ops in the final minutes. And that was bad. I'm not gonna excuse that ... we DO NOT want to live and die by DDR iso, so he's gotta allow team to mix it up possession-by-possession. (I will say, two of those attempts, we got rebound off missed shot, and Lavine then Coby missed wide open shots ... so it's not like DDR was the only one missing shots there).

BUT THEN, biggest play of game, I'm sure we were all thinking "please don't iso again!" And sure enough, looks exactly like that is what he's doing. And then he makes a really beautiful find that a lot of guys couldn't make, hit Vuc perfectly in corner to ice the game.

I'll be very sad if DDR leaves. I think it will be a mistake because there's not many guys out there that can offer as much as him. But long term team building I could understand that decision, and that'll be on someone else's shoulders. I still think holding onto DeMar as long as possible is wise thing to do. But hey, that's why I'm a RealGM poster and not a real GM.
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#83 » by RastaBull » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:09 am

Just on the assist-turnover rate topic:

If you make a cut off of 25 mpg, DeMar is 10th in the league.
Cut off at 20 mpg, DeMar is 14th.
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,515

Post#84 » by Pelly24 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:27 am

DeMar is a good player, but he's also almost 35 years old and he is what he is, and none of the players on the Bulls are really great players. DeMar would be amazing as a third option somewhere for a contender. Like an off the bench guy or starter depending on the squad. But for one of your best two players on mediocre squad like the bulls. They just need to end this whole era.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#85 » by JimmyButler21 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Get ready for 3 more years
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,000

Post#86 » by NZB2323 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:52 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:I have my Lavine and Vuc scapegoat threads on standby should they be needed. I'm joking, but we really do have a rotating cast of guys we blame that changes on a game-by-game basis. Last game Zach, today Demar, next one Vuc. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not saying the criticism isn't warranted, it's just funny how quickly the narratives change.

It should be all of them. I believe their net rating together is negative. The issue is none of them have trade value, so if you trade them and get back a 2nd round pick you get criticized for the trade.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,016

Post#87 » by Wingy » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:02 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:Get ready for 3 more years

You’re already settled in, you’re gonna get paid way more than anywhere else…what’s not to love?
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#88 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:41 pm

Our only hope as a franchise is that DeMar gets the urge to chase a ring over the summer. Him leaving is incredibly important to turning around the organization.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#89 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:58 am

BigUps wrote:Our only hope as a franchise is that DeMar gets the urge to chase a ring over the summer. Him leaving is incredibly important to turning around the organization.

Can't disagree with the sentiment, but I have no idea if his leaving would suddenly change the team's very clear and consistent mantra to be 'competitive'.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#90 » by JimmyButler21 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:34 am

Read on Twitter
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#91 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:37 am

We are committed to mediocrity. We basically have to re-sign him to remain competitive.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#92 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:39 am

BigUps wrote:Our only hope as a franchise is that DeMar gets the urge to chase a ring over the summer. Him leaving is incredibly important to turning around the organization.

He isn’t turning down $20 plus million to ring chase. He’ll do that after this 3 year deal ends. He can still ring chase for a couple of years at 38.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,694

Post#93 » by Ice Man » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:32 pm

It's not painfully obvious to me. The Bulls are 20-13 over the past 33 games, without any All Star, and DDR along with Coby have led that charge. I mean, I would like to have a superstar, because who would not, but for a team without a superstar the Bulls are playing as well as anybody in the league.

The same comment applies to complaints about Billy Donovan.
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#94 » by burlydee » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:50 pm

Ice Man wrote:It's not painfully obvious to me. The Bulls are 20-13 over the past 33 games, without any All Star, and DDR along with Coby have led that charge. I mean, I would like to have a superstar, because who would not, but for a team without a superstar the Bulls are playing as well as anybody in the league.

The same comment applies to complaints about Billy Donovan.

I agree that you can have a modern offense with Demar, especiallyif hes shooting 3s. But I agree with the majority of people that say signing him locks Bulls into mediocrity. Just don't see how Bulls acquire a star with Vuc, Demar and Lavine on the roster. Have to start to rotate those guys out.

Return to Chicago Bulls