Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread #10

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 830

Re: NBA Trade Thread #10 

Post#821 » by ChiefILL53 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:17 pm

dumbell78 wrote:I really like what the Knicks have done, they actually have a competent FO? There may be hope for us to finally get it right at some point.

I also like OKC grabbing Hayward. I know he's always hurt but if he can be slotted in for 15-20 minutes when Giddey isnt working, its a slam dunk for them. Good vet wing presence for them.

Yea I like Hayward for OKC too for leadership and versatility purposes.

The knicks arent serious title contenders, but theyve put together a strong team.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,308

Post#822 » by dumbell78 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:27 pm

Dan Z wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:I really like what the Knicks have done, they actually have a competent FO? There may be hope for us to finally get it right at some point.

I also like OKC grabbing Hayward. I know he's always hurt but if he can be slotted in for 15-20 minutes when Giddey isnt working, its a slam dunk for them. Good vet wing presence for them.

I thought OKC should've gone after Caruso and Drummond even if they had to over pay by a small amount. But it looks like AK wasn't seriously considering trading either player.

Hard to do if the other guy is asking for Chet in return lol.....I kid, I kid.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,323

Post#823 » by kodo » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:35 am

ChiefILL53 wrote:PJ Washington going for a 1st along with Williams/Curry is crazzyy. Theres no way AKME arent getting offers of value

People saying we can't get a 1st for Lavine (back when he wasn't getting surgery) are so off. PJ Washington averages 13 ppg, shoots 32% from 3, and doesn't play a lick of D. He comes off the bench for a 10 win team.
Salo23
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#824 » by Salo23 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:50 am

kodo wrote:
ChiefILL53 wrote:PJ Washington going for a 1st along with Williams/Curry is crazzyy. Theres no way AKME arent getting offers of value

People saying we can't get a 1st for Lavine (back when he wasn't getting surgery) are so off. PJ Washington averages 13 ppg, shoots 32% from 3, and doesn't play a lick of D. He comes off the bench for a 10 win team.

That Dallas 1st rounder is only top 2 protected as well, that’s a crazy overpay for PJ Washington. I don’t know that he’s much of a difference maker compared to Grant Williams, let alone throwing in Seth Curry plus a top 2 protected 1st.
We are missing a lot of layups right now as a team, and that is on me... It’s my job to make sure we’re ready to make our layups." - Thibodeau.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#825 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:09 am

kodo wrote:

Only thing is that this seems more like a really awful trade as opposed to a reflection on the market. Of course you just need to find one stupid team - unless you are that stupid team. :lol:
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#826 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:08 am

At the 1:44 mark he mentions Chicago, but the question is asked at the 1:25 mark.

Dan Z
RealGM

Post#827 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:48 pm

22. Chicago Bulls

25-27 record, minus-1.5 net rating
Last ranking: no. 26

The Bulls haven’t made a trade involving a player since August 2021, per The Ringer’s Zach Kram. But they should have on Thursday, when the Warriors reportedly put Moses Moody and multiple picks on the table for Alex Caruso. Golden State arguably would have been overpaying considering that Caruso, as good as he is, is also injury prone and turns 30 later this month. But Chicago wanted Jonathan Kuminga, according to NBC Sports’ K.C. Johnson. Hilarious. The Bulls seem destined to stay in the middle. How sad to see one of the league’s most prestigious franchises fall so far.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/9/24067373/nba-trade-deadline-2024-power-rankings-knicks-celtics-nuggets
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,397

Post#828 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:58 pm

Moody and another FRP sounds like a good deal. Would be very disappointed if they refused that deal and insisted on getting Kuminga.
kodo
RealGM

Post#829 » by kodo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:08 am

Dan Z wrote:
22. Chicago Bulls

The Bulls haven’t made a trade involving a player since August 2021, per The Ringer’s Zach Kram. But they should have on Thursday, when the Warriors reportedly put Moses Moody and multiple picks on the table for Alex Caruso. Golden State arguably would have been overpaying considering that Caruso, as good as he is, is also injury prone and turns 30 later this month. But Chicago wanted Jonathan Kuminga, according to NBC Sports’ K.C. Johnson. Hilarious. The Bulls seem destined to stay in the middle. How sad to see one of the league’s most prestigious franchises fall so far.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/9/24067373/nba-trade-deadline-2024-power-rankings-knicks-celtics-nuggets

AK wants young talented players like Kuminga? Maybe he should look at how the Warriors got him in the first place. They made a trade. Expensive vets for 1st round picks. Exactly the thing we are not doing.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,445

Post#830 » by Muzbar » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:45 am

kodo wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
22. Chicago Bulls

AK wants young talented players like Kuminga? Maybe he should look at how the Warriors got him in the first place. They made a trade. Expensive vets for 1st round picks. Exactly the thing we are not doing.

Saw on X somewhere that the deal was allegedly Moody, GP2 and TJD plus a pick. Now obviously take that with a gain of salt as from memory it wasn't some big name 'X' reporter.

But if that offer was on the table I think the Bulls probably should have taken it, obviously it may depend on the pick too but that's a pretty decent deal IMO.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#831 » by greenwing » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 am

kodo wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
22. Chicago Bulls

Kuminga was the 7th pick in his draft. Which player on the Bulls that you wouldn’t mind trading now would net you a lottery pick that high?
kodo
RealGM

Post#832 » by kodo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:10 am

greenwing wrote:
kodo wrote:

Kuminga was the 7th pick in his draft. Which player on the Bulls that you wouldn’t mind trading now would net you a lottery pick that high?

The trade was for Russell, who is in the same range of talent as Demar, Lavine if not lower.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#833 » by greenwing » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:26 am

kodo wrote:
greenwing wrote:
kodo wrote:

The trade was for Russell, who is in the same range of talent as Demar, Lavine if not lower.

I don't think that's the same situation. Russell was coming off of his first all-star appearance and was playing for a 15-win GSW team that was missing key pieces due to injury. The Warriors didn't need Russell with Curry coming back the following year from injury. That was a situation where you had two star-level players in Russell and Wiggins being traded who were both locked down for multiple year contracts. DeRozan is an expiring contract and significantly older than those guys were when they were traded for each other (Wiggins at 24 and Russell at 23). No team was going to trade a lottery pick for a possible half-season rental of DeRozan. A mid to late first rounder? Sure. But a lottery pick when he can walk? I doubt it.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#834 » by Charlesareed » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:55 am

Muzbar wrote:
kodo wrote:

Saw on X somewhere that the deal was allegedly Moody, GP2 and TJD plus a pick. Now obviously take that with a gain of salt as from memory it wasn't some big name 'X' reporter.

But if that offer was on the table I think the Bulls probably should have taken it, obviously it may depend on the pick too but that's a pretty decent deal IMO.

I don’t think this deal was offered at all because we all know akme would’ve dropped Alex Caruso off at ohare themselves I doubt see them trading tjd
Chicago Raised me
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#835 » by patryk7754 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:52 am

If we don’t go in a full tank mode, I think we should go all in for a star to add to lavine.

1. Fire AKME and Donovan. Hire Bob Myers and Mike Budenholzer
2. Put together a package of White, Vucevic, and multiple 1sts for a true all nba star. Let’s go with Donovan Mitchell becuase he’d be the best case scenario. Potential trade:

Spurs get: Jarret Allen
Cavs get: Keldon Johnson, White, Vucevic, and 3 1sts
Bulls get: Mitchell and Dean Wade

3. Sign D’Angelo Russell. He and white basically have the same numbers. Russell averages two less points but one more assist. He’s also a better distributor and will fit in well next to Lavine and Mitchell.

4. Sign Dario Saric for some shooting

5. Resign Williams to a reasonable contract.

6. Unlikely but would be great, Damar signs a friendly deal to be a 6th man

7. Bring Rose back by any means. This team has been cursed since trading him

Russell/carter/Lonzo
Mitchell/Ayo/Rose
Lavine/Caruso/craig
Williams/Saric
Drummond/ Wade
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,742

Post#836 » by Dez » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:46 pm

patryk7754 wrote:If we don’t go in a full tank mode, I think we should go all in for a star to add to lavine.

1. Fire AKME and Donovan. Hire Bob Myers and Mike Budenholzer
2. Put together a package of White, Vucevic, and multiple 1sts for a true all nba star. Let’s go with Donovan Mitchell becuase he’d be the best case scenario. Potential trade:

Spurs get: Jarret Allen
Cavs get: Keldon Johnson, White, Vucevic, and 3 1sts
Bulls get: Mitchell and Dean Wade

3. Sign D’Angelo Russell. He and white basically have the same numbers. Russell averages two less points but one more assist. He’s also a better distributor and will fit in well next to Lavine and Mitchell.

4. Sign Dario Saric for some shooting

5. Resign Williams to a reasonable contract.

6. Unlikely but would be great, Damar signs a friendly deal to be a 6th man

7. Bring Rose back by any means. This team has been cursed since trading him

Russell/carter/Lonzo
Mitchell/Ayo/Rose
Lavine/Caruso/craig
Williams/Saric
Drummond/ Wade

None of that is happening and nor should it.

Giving up that much for Donovan Mitchell is crazy.

Replacing Coby White with D'Angelo Russell is crazy.

That team is absolutely ass defensively.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,642

Post#837 » by dc » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:16 pm

greenwing wrote:
kodo wrote:
greenwing wrote:

I don't think that's the same situation. Russell was coming off of his first all-star appearance and was playing for a 15-win GSW team that was missing key pieces due to injury. The Warriors didn't need Russell with Curry coming back the following year from injury. That was a situation where you had two star-level players in Russell and Wiggins being traded who were both locked down for multiple year contracts. DeRozan is an expiring contract and significantly older than those guys were when they were traded for each other (Wiggins at 24 and Russell at 23). No team was going to trade a lottery pick for a possible half-season rental of DeRozan. A mid to late first rounder? Sure. But a lottery pick when he can walk? I doubt it.

Warriors fan here and for GS, the deal was ultimately KD leaving + this years 1st round pick (2024) for Wiggins + Kuminga. It was a 2 part deal for the Warriors and more complicated than face value, but it's sneakily one of the more brilliant front office maneuvers in the league in the modern era. This is actually one of those times when Lacob really can say they were Lightyears ahead or whatever it is.

The Warriors had a feeling KD was leaving (though he never declared it to them prior). So they started looking ahead and realized DLo was a pending FA while Brooklyn was a strong suitor for KD. So they did their studying up on DLo, with the idea that he COULD be a fit next to Curry and he was a guy who was about to really emerge.

To make the DLo for KD S&T to work (under new rules of the CBA), they had to get under the lux tax "apron", which meant unloading Igoudala's contract to Memphis. That's where the Warriors had to give up a (top 4 protected) pick in 2024, so the trade really is yet to be completed. I suppose it's a good thing this years draft looks sort of weak. The deal was also to include a 1st round pick going to the Nets, which is something KD insisted on for his new team (they had just given up picks to unload salary themselves to clear cap space for KD/Kyrie). The Warriors hesitated, but ultimately gave in. It was a heavily protected 1st that would convey into a 2nd the next year. That happened to be the year Steph would injure his wrist early in the season and the Warriors ended up tanking and keeping the pick....which got them Wiseman, LOL.

But they made the deal and realized VERY early on that DLo was a terrible fit next to Steph and in Kerr's system. He didn't do any of the things they wanted from him. But they also knew Minnesota was hot after DLo because they were PG starved and because he and KAT were BFFs and getting DLo would extend the window of keeping their franchise player happy (he had been unhappy with the team in prior years, with their losing and the whole Jimmy Butler debacle).

So they chatted up the Wolves. The Warriors at first wanted an unprotected pick for DLo while also absorbing the Wiggins deal. The Wolves wanted the pick heavily protected. The Warriors almost walked away from the deal, but they ultimately set it as a Top 3 protected pick.

So the Warriors got the pick and took on Wiggins' contract, which they got lambasted for. At the time it was considered one of the most undesirable contacts in the league. Wiggins with the Warriors initially didn't look all that much better than Minnesota Wiggins. They did the deal for the pick, which fell a few spots lower than what they wanted after the Wolves had a slight "surge" towards the end of the 21' season.

Side note: When the Warriors "won" the #2 pick in the draft in 2020, they really tried trading the pick from almost the begininng, but it was considered a weak draft and they weren't getting great offers. One of the guys they liked a lot was Haliburton, but they felt #2 was just too high for him. So one of the trades they had in mind was to trade back in the draft in return for the team with the lower pick taking the Wiggins contract, but nobody wanted Wiggins at the time. So they stuck there and took Wiseman (LOL again).

So the Warriors drafted Kuminga at #7 overall in 2021 when Steph was 33 and Klay/Dray also in their 30s. They took a high physical upside guy who was considered the rawest player in the lottery who was 18 on the day of the draft. A lot of people questioned that move and rightly so. Wiggins was better (from an efficiency standpoint) than he was in Minni, but not by leaps and bounds. He got better towards the end of the year and ended up being brilliant in the playoffs, when he simply defended the hell out of 2 1st All-NBA players in back to back series (Luka and then Tatum). 18 and 9 in the Finals with elite defense to close things out.

A brilliant trade that didn't look all that brilliant from the start. It helped them in the immediate future (winning a championship) while also very possibly getting them a future cornerstone player (Kuminga still has to prove it for longer, but he's just 21 and clearly surging right now). And they got this all in return for a superstar (KD) deciding to leave and a 1st round pick in a weak draft (2024). A lot of people at the time thought the Warriors were better off just letting KD walk instead of trying to get something back. Then everyone really lost their minds when they decided to take on Wiggins' contract.

So this was the case of a team picking up draft capital by taking on a bad contract. This was probably the best case scenario of making this kind of trade.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#838 » by Jstock12 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:07 am

Posted this 7 threads ago in the Thread #3, oh what could have been.

Read on Twitter

Dan Z
RealGM

Post#839 » by Dan Z » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Posted this 7 threads ago in the Thread #3, oh what could have been.

Read on Twitter

I thought he was a good option too because the Bulls want to win now and he has experience. My guess is that OKC wanted too much for him and/or the Bulls either didn't have space or money.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#840 » by _txchilibowl_ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:01 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
kodo wrote:

I don’t think this deal was offered at all because we all know akme would’ve dropped Alex Caruso off at ohare themselves I doubt see them trading tjd

I disagree. I think that offer is straight booty. Not one meaningful asset. Moody has been inconsistent if we're being kind, GP2 is a salary albatross, and the first and TJD are hope and pray types. If I was AKME it wouldn't get me to move off of trying to make the playoffs, either.

Ask yourself this....if it's such a great offer why is GS offering it? GP2 is basically heralded as a Alex Caruso lite. The truth is GP2 stinks these days and GS knows it.

Return to Chicago Bulls